PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my raspberry pi3

Colin2040
08-04-2018, 19:50
Having a few issues which are hopefully easily resolved.
Have downloaded image writer and set up software on sd card.
Installed sd card and then tried to link to Volumio/ local which I don’t seem to be able to connect to. Was using chrome as browser ,tried firefox and others all get same response.
So picked up iPad and got app thinking that may help.
When I open app it aks for IP address which I have provided but then asks for port .The unit has 4 usb connectors so have they port numbers?

Sorry this is possibly a simple issue but to a technophobe it’s not .

Guidance would be appreciated.

Colin

Stratmangler
08-04-2018, 19:57
Have you connected your Pi to your router?

Colin2040
08-04-2018, 20:01
No is the simple answer

Stratmangler
08-04-2018, 20:02
That's why your Pi can't be found.
Connect a patch lead between the Pi and router, and then try typing in the address.

Colin2040
08-04-2018, 20:04
I shall give it a try

Colin2040
08-04-2018, 20:10
Just to clarify I attach the raspberry pi3 to the router I assume that using my iPad I can connect wirelessly to do the rest? Sorry but I like to be clear,

Thanks

Colin

Stratmangler
08-04-2018, 20:11
iPad?
Have you got a laptop?

Colin2040
08-04-2018, 20:23
I have but router is located in a cupboard but I could still connect. It’s just a pain that’s all. But 5he laptop would be wireless as well, just trying to understand why a laptop?

Stratmangler
08-04-2018, 20:25
Because it has a proper keyboard and mouse.

Stratmangler
08-04-2018, 20:28
It doesn't matter that the laptop is connected wirelessly - you need to hook the Pi up to the router in order for it to get seen on the address you need to type in.
This should then hook up to to your Pi and its set up menu.

Colin2040
08-04-2018, 20:28
That’s what I thought but had to ask
Thanks Chris.
I will attempt more tomorrow.

mikmas
08-04-2018, 20:45
According to Volumio doc, you should be able to set up your Pi3 without an ethernet cable thus:

"VOLUMIO HOTSPOT
If your device has wireless capabilities (and a supported Wireless card) Volumio will create a Wireless Network called Volumio, the default password is volumio2
The Hotspot mode will allow you to connect to your Wireless Network without the need for a wired connection, just connect to Volumio Hotspot and configure your network on network options
Once your Wireless network has been configured, the Hotspot will no longer be visible
If, for whatever reason, your configured Wireless network is not available, Volumio will automatically re-enable the Hotspot
You can change the Hotspot options in the Network options, such as its name, password and channel (useful if you experience poor Hotspot performances)
Once in Hotspot Mode, Volumio can be reached with IP 192.168.211.1 or via http://volumio.local as usual"

https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/Quick_Start_Guide

(No idea whether this works though...)

Colin2040
08-04-2018, 20:54
I have tried this but to no avail. Nowhere can I see that it needs connected to router but whilst following Volumio instructions it did make me think about setting up a nas and it usually is best done conn3cting to router. Will attempt tomorrow

Colin2040
08-04-2018, 20:55
And there seems to be an issue using Volumio local

Bourneendboy
08-04-2018, 21:36
I had a similar problem when I set mine up recently. Assuming you have done everything correctly and you still can't connect to Volumio with it's IP address or Volumio.local, I'd suggest you delete the image from the SD card and re-flash.

I did this and problem solved.

garrard
09-04-2018, 01:07
edit: deleted, I had the wrong idea what was happening... sorry

garrard
09-04-2018, 01:12
When I open app it aks for IP address which I have provided but then asks for port .The unit has 4 usb connectors so have they port numbers?

No, the port number it is talking about is the port of the ip address. a full internet address is aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:<port number>. For example web traffic is commonly on port 80. Other protocols/communications may be on one of the many other port addresses.

I thought the Volumio app would search the local network automatically and didn't need you to tell it the address. Mine does on Android.

You need to plug you Pi into your network so the app can find it. Either use a cable, or the initially connect with the wifi hotspot as someone else suggested, then switch it over to your local network wifi.

garrard
09-04-2018, 01:15
Just to clarify I attach the raspberry pi3 to the router I assume that using my iPad I can connect wirelessly to do the rest? Sorry but I like to be clear,

Thanks

Colin

Yes. Once your Pi is on your local network, the Volumio app can talk to it (provided your iPad is on the same local network).

Colin2040
09-04-2018, 07:58
That’s great thanks. Once I have finished my chores list this morning I will hopefully resolve the issue. But as spring is finally here I will paint my fascia in case winter returns

Colin

Colin2040
10-04-2018, 11:54
all now seems well. Only issue I had was when I attach my hard drive it couldn't see any music. That was because none had copied over! Issue with being set up on pc and now using mac for music. Anyway time for a new one. So any recommendations for hard drives welcomed.Normally I get Lacie but open to latest ideas.
Currently copying some stuff onto usb to give it a try.
Thanks for help

Colin

Colin2040
10-04-2018, 13:39
Set it up again connected usb with some music on it and it now says settings wrong when I open webui. Does not want to connect at all. Just to clarify used iPad this morning and was fine when connected to router but now no longer visible

Stratmangler
10-04-2018, 14:56
Did you set up up the wireless LAN while the Pi was connected to the router?
If you didn't, you need to.

Colin2040
10-04-2018, 15:10
I need to do some more research then. I will try tonight when I get back. Thanks Chris

Colin2040
11-04-2018, 13:07
Attempted to resolve this today but as my router is connected in a “ restricted location” I can’t access it easily and I need another usb to connect my laptop. As it’s not intended for here I will connect at my flat. which is probably better as that’s where it’s intended for. Impatience is getting the better of me!

But thanks for input
Colin

Colin2040
18-04-2018, 11:54
I have been reading up on the pi and not sure if it’s helped as there is so much stuff out there. Anyway keeping it simple to use the pi as a server hooked up to a hard drive do I need to download noobs onto the sd card first. I have followed Volumio instructions but no reading raspberry instructions I think I have missed a step. But now able to connect to router and will have another attempt tonight.
Any guidance appreciated.

Colin

garrard
18-04-2018, 22:02
I have been reading up on the pi and not sure if it’s helped as there is so much stuff out there. Anyway keeping it simple to use the pi as a server hooked up to a hard drive do I need to download noobs onto the sd card first. I have followed Volumio instructions but no reading raspberry instructions I think I have missed a step. But now able to connect to router and will have another attempt tonight.
Any guidance appreciated.

Colin

Noobs is not required. Just download the Volumio image and put that on an SDcard.

The instructions are below the download link further down this page https://volumio.org/get-started/

Colin2040
08-05-2018, 20:27
Well finally got other stuff out way,got speakers and a hard drive and once I had it sussed it all seems so simple,
Currently using iPad to control with es labs tripath amp which now I have it up and running is a stonking bit of kit.
Acquired a set of stands @nd some incredibly good Polk S15 picked up new for £139. The whole thing sounds amazoping really impressed with speakers what a bargain.

Thanks for all input appreciated

Colin