View Full Version : The end of OPPO

jandl100
03-04-2018, 08:06
Seems sad, very well thought of gear.

https://www.stereonet.co.nz/news/breaking-oppo-digital-ceases-manufacturing

I don't think it's an April Fool.

Clive197
03-04-2018, 11:43
OPPO’s decision to stop manufacturing is very strange but my gut feeling is that it’s something to do with OPPO in China pulling the plug because of Trumps decision to impose 25% duty on imports to America from China. All OPPO’s products are built in China and it is at the the end of the day a Chinese company.

struth
03-04-2018, 12:07
OPPO’s decision to stop manufacturing is very strange but my gut feeling is that it’s something to do with OPPO in China pulling the plug because of Trumps decision to impose 25% duty on imports to America from China. All OPPO’s products are built in China and it is at the the end of the day a Chinese company.

could be, its pretty drastic tho.

Primalsea
03-04-2018, 15:34
Either that or they have been bought out by a competitor. Shame as Oppo is one of the high quality manufacturers with enough production to produce high quality at a reasonable price.

Gazjam
03-04-2018, 16:18
Gotten used to regular firmware updates...hope the Sony Dolby vision fix will come, not not so confident.

First world problems or what!?

Getgaff
03-04-2018, 17:12
Q: Regarding the UDP-203 and 205 UHD Blu-ray players, have you released a firmware update that addresses the Sony implementation of Dolby Vision in its TVs? If you haven’t issued that update, do you expect to? If so, when?

A: We have firmware that supports Sony’s implementation of Dolby Vision in its TVs. The firmware is undergoing testing by Dolby right now. We hope to make it available to customers as soon as the test concludes that there is no problem with existing Dolby Vison-capable TVs as well as Sony TVs

Source: http://www.avsforum.com/oppo-announces-will-stop-making-new-products/

mikmas
03-04-2018, 19:06
Doesn't surprise me really ... how niche does a market have to become before big business pulls the plug?
Can't recall the last time we bothered spinning a plastic disk of any description ... and doubt there are many who do.

Should imagine the parent company would rather bolster up their mobile division - where the real (present and) future money is.

Gazjam
03-04-2018, 20:17
Q: Regarding the UDP-203 and 205 UHD Blu-ray players, have you released a firmware update that addresses the Sony implementation of Dolby Vision in its TVs? If you haven’t issued that update, do you expect to? If so, when?

A: We have firmware that supports Sony’s implementation of Dolby Vision in its TVs. The firmware is undergoing testing by Dolby right now. We hope to make it available to customers as soon as the test concludes that there is no problem with existing Dolby Vison-capable TVs as well as Sony TVs

Source: http://www.avsforum.com/oppo-announces-will-stop-making-new-products/

Great news, thanks for the link.

Spectral Morn
03-04-2018, 22:50
Awful news, whatever the reason a major blow to physical disc playback.

I love my Oppo player.

Shovel_Knight
04-04-2018, 07:58
Oppo is a huge company, their main business is making mobile phones. They’re #1 smartphone brand in China.

I believe their hi-fi range was somebody’s pet project and they probably decided that it’s not worth it in the long run.