PDA

View Full Version : Volumio issue

mr sneff
01-04-2018, 19:14
I've been a long-term Moode user, I find it just works for me whereas I've never successfully got Volumio to work.
However, I thought I'd give it another go. I have a spare Pi3 and HiFiBerry Digi+board,so I loaded Volumio onto a spare SD card, and waited for it to boot up. I must say that the interface is nicer than Moode, but I have a big issue......everything plays back at the wrong pitch!! Agnes Obel sounds like one of the Chipmunks! Has anybody else encountered this, and if you have what was the solution? Thanks in advance.

struth
01-04-2018, 19:39
might have the wrong i2s board name ticked

cyclopse
01-04-2018, 20:06
Can we have a bit more information about what DAC board you are using or are you going USB out to an external DAC which is the way I run it.

Regards

Cyclopse

struth
01-04-2018, 20:08
Can we have a bit more information about what DAC board you are using or are you going USB out to an external DAC which is the way I run it.

Regards

Cyclopse

He is using a Hiberry digi +

Sherwood
01-04-2018, 20:11
Isn't there a playback speed setting somewhere?

mr sneff
01-04-2018, 22:15
Grant: the options available are either HiFiBerry Digi and HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro, not HiFiBerry Digi+. I've selected HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro, I get no sound at all with HiFiBerry Digi.
Stephen: output is via coax into the DAC in my Peachtree iDecco2 amp.
Geoff: the issue is pitch rather than speed.

struth
01-04-2018, 23:11
you could be feeding 44.1kHz audio while the dac is expecting 48kHz, or something like that. just a thought

mr sneff
02-04-2018, 08:26
The Digi+board is outputting 44.1. No issues with CD player feeding the same DAC.

cyclopse
02-04-2018, 08:55
Please try selecting HiFi Berry Digi (not plus) as the DAC.

mr sneff
02-04-2018, 09:08
Please try selecting HiFi Berry Digi (not plus) as the DAC.

i already said that I get no sound with HiFiBerry Digi.......

Primalsea
02-04-2018, 09:17
I think it might be an issue with the latest release of the Volumio software. Have you tired no oversampling and setting the buffer to maxium % and MB. Otherwise you may have to install an older version or wait for the next update and hope it is fixed.

cyclopse
02-04-2018, 16:11
i already said that I get no sound with HiFiBerry Digi.......

OK looking at the spec of the Peachtree it has USB in. Why not do away with the Dgi+ board and go USB out from the Pi into the Peachtree USB digital input? I used to have a Digi+ board but went down this route.

Regards

Cyclopse

Sherwood
02-04-2018, 20:39
OK looking at the spec of the Peachtree it has USB in. Why not do away with the Dgi+ board and go USB out from the Pi into the Peachtree USB digital input? I used to have a Digi+ board but went down this route.

Regards

Cyclopse

Why? Because it sounds awful compared to the Digi+ or most of the other audio boards for the Pi! :wowzer:

cyclopse
03-04-2018, 17:05
Why? Because it sounds awful compared to the Digi+ or most of the other audio boards for the Pi! :wowzer:

I got a performance increase deploying it this way.

mr sneff
04-04-2018, 15:37

Regards

Cyclopse

Very easy to set up, seems to be working well, thanks!

mr sneff
05-04-2018, 11:48
Much to my surprise I'm preferring the sound of the Pi straight into the Peachtree via USB, its managing to sound more detailed, yet warmer and fuller bodied. Nice one, Stephen!

Sherwood
05-04-2018, 12:06
Much to my surprise I'm preferring the sound of the Pi straight into the Peachtree via USB, its managing to sound more detailed, yet warmer and fuller bodied. Nice one, Stephen!

I can only think that you may have a faulty Digi board. To me the USB output from the Pi is pretty awful compared to my Digi + and goddam awful compared to my Digione!

Great if it sounds good to you, but I could not live with the Pi USB as a source!

Geoff

cyclopse
05-04-2018, 20:24

I came to similar conclusions. That the native USB output outperforms a Digi+ SPDIF digital output. Volumio has come a long way since the early version 2 releases.

garrard
05-04-2018, 22:48
I came to similar conclusions. That the native USB output outperforms a Digi+ SPDIF digital output. Volumio has come a long way since the early version 2 releases.

Interesting, because I have only ever used mine via a USB DAC and the sound is so good I haven't been inclined to spend more money on boards.