PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help fitting an atomic clock to my VRDS x25

Wakefield Turntables
01-04-2018, 14:38
Hi, just wondered if this is possible and if anyone has the expertise to do it?

walpurgis
01-04-2018, 14:46
Just the one, or one for each channel?

Wakefield Turntables
01-04-2018, 15:03
Just the one, or one for each channel?

I didn't realise you could plonk one on each channel. I've been looking at one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-000M-Ultra-Precision-Low-Noise-RB-Word-Rubidium-Atomic-Clock-Generator-HIFI-/281937108477?hash=item41a4c2ddfd

sq225917
01-04-2018, 16:36
Andy, your cd player would need an external clock input, with a big of digging you could find out where to solder the leads inside instead, but honestly if you reckon you can hear the measly low jitter it will already have your probably better giving up digital altogether.

and worrying about microscopically off-centre vinyl instead.

Svend N
01-04-2018, 17:21
Andrew - this doesn't directly answer your question, but I replaced the clock chip on my VRDS-10 with a Tent Labs discrete clock board (internal). Works great. There were other mods done at the same time (op amps, caps, power supply), and not just the clock board. All together, the sound is excellent. Totally transformed the SQ of this player. You might send a PM to Dan Santoni here (aka Black Dog), as he has quite a bit of experience doing such mods and can likely advise as to what works and what doesn't. Apparently if done wrong, and/or using the wrong clock unit, you can do some very costly damage to the other components in the player. Tent Labs is a quality unit which is one of the safe ones to install. Other units can really bugger things up, so be careful what you choose.

Hope this helps...

Svend

PS -- the VRDS units are popular for such mods, and there is quite a bit of info out there on the web as to what works well. A few focused web searches will uncover a wealth of info.

Wakefield Turntables
01-04-2018, 17:24
Thanks for all the information. I'm just looking into ways of improving my current kit.

Svend N
01-04-2018, 17:46
Let me know if you'd like a list of what was done with my VRDS unit. As mentioned, it completely transformed the sound quality....one of those "night and day" differences, but not in a hollow cliched way - it's the real deal. Total cost was about C$600, including tech labour to do it all. Happy to rattle off a list if you'd like.

Cheers,
Svend

YNWaN
01-04-2018, 18:20
Andy, what you need to buy is these, then you can properly measure the on/off button holes in your Goldring:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 282082233818

In fact they are pretty much essential for anyone interested in DIY audio, or design/manufacture.

StanleyB
01-04-2018, 18:21
Hi, just wondered if this is possible and if anyone has the expertise to do it?
You would be better of having the SEG modded, especially if and when my next generation PSU sees the day of light. That would be far cheaper and give you loads more bangs for your bucks.

struth
01-04-2018, 18:23
Andy, what you need to buy is these, then you can properly measure the on/off button holes in your Goldring:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 282082233818

In fact they are pretty much essential for anyone interested in DIY audio, or design/manufacture.

got a dig caliper.. works well.

mr sneff
01-04-2018, 19:07
Does this have anything to do with the time of the month? :)

Wakefield Turntables
01-04-2018, 20:32
Does this have anything to do with the time of the month? :)

NO!

JimC
02-04-2018, 12:05
The Clock you link to rus at 10MHz, not very useful for CD Players, however they do say they can offer custom frquencies between 8MHz and 18MHz.

Your TEAC runs at 16.9344MHz (384 x fS) and is fully adjustable according to the manual so you can get it pretty accurate but it may drift, really very slightly, over time whereas this Atomic one, not so much.
Have you approached them to see if they can offer 16.9344MHz? If they do then it may be possible to add this to the TEAC.

Casework Drilling isn't my strong point, especially on someoe else's kit:eek: and RF Transmission isn't my area of expertise either. Whether some 'buffer' would be needed between the 'input' to the CD Player and the Frequency input on the PCB is above my pay grade !

Jim.

Svend N
02-04-2018, 12:49
Andrew, just a bit of advice -- I would look at upgrading some other key components in your player, in addition to the clock. There's more in there that affects the sound, and they are definitely worth addressing. If you do only the clock and nothing else, you may end up being disappointed that the sound quality is not as good as you'd hoped. I'd look at the machine as a whole. As mentioned, I'd be happy to list out what I did with mine, which is a very similar machine to yours. Also, if I recall, there's a service in Switzerland or Germany that specializes in modding these Teac machines -- if you're interested I can dig out that link for you, and a few other VRDS mod links (lots out there for these units).

Primalsea
02-04-2018, 13:26
I think that the servo clock runs at 16.9334 mhz but the oversampling and DAC chips are clocked separately buy another clock at 18.432 mhz. I imagine that changing the clock for the oversampling and DAC will provide the best results technically.

Some of the CDPs I have worked on have had robust power supplies with clean output but when you measure the power rails close to the ICs in the digital circuits they have been heavily poluted by switching noise. IMO this is something that should be looked at before new clocks.

Wakefield Turntables
02-04-2018, 17:01
Andrew, just a bit of advice -- I would look at upgrading some other key components in your player, in addition to the clock. There's more in there that affects the sound, and they are definitely worth addressing. If you do only the clock and nothing else, you may end up being disappointed that the sound quality is not as good as you'd hoped. I'd look at the machine as a whole. As mentioned, I'd be happy to list out what I did with mine, which is a very similar machine to yours. Also, if I recall, there's a service in Switzerland or Germany that specializes in modding these Teac machines -- if you're interested I can dig out that link for you, and a few other VRDS mod links (lots out there for these units).

My machine is fully audiotuned modded. Thanks anyway!

I think that the servo clock runs at 16.9334 mhz but the oversampling and DAC chips are clocked separately buy another clock at 18.432 mhz. I imagine that changing the clock for the oversampling and DAC will provide the best results technically.

Some of the CDPs I have worked on have had robust power supplies with clean output but when you measure the power rails close to the ICs in the digital circuits they have been heavily poluted by switching noise. IMO this is something that should be looked at before new clocks.

Again I think the audiotuning company did a lot of the work here.

JimC
02-04-2018, 17:28
The Clock you linked to appears to have two outputs, is it possible that the unit could be configured to give the two Clock Frequencies your Player runs on?

O/P 1 = 16.934MHz (384 x fS (16.9344MHZ))
O/P 2 = 18.432MHz (418 x fS (18.4338MHz))

Jim.