PDA

View Full Version : Oppo udp-205

bob4333
31-03-2018, 10:52
I am contemplating an OPPO UDP-205 due to the need to redeploy my existing DVD multi format player to another room.

As the OPPO will provide Streaming / Universal disc playback / DAC etc it also gives me a chance to reduce my box count.

Namely a Leema Antila IIs CD player, Cyrus X2 streamer, Leema Elements DAC and the aforementioned DVD player could go, so 4 boxes down to 1.

The UDP-205 is obviously several generations newer in terms of technological advancement, BUT...... I am loathe to do the swap if it’s SQ isn’t equal to or better than the Cyrus X2 / Leema DAC combination. CD’s are not the biggest priority but DVD-A and SACD I find quite entertaining. Streaming gets used quite a bit so I’d probably still do this if the streaming SQ is up to expectation. There are a few other things to consider (new screen etc) but simplistically sound is the issue.

I'm taking the visual side of things as read in terms of it far surpassing what I currently have.

Open to views, alternatives and guidance, but discrete audio out channels are a must.

struth
31-03-2018, 10:54
ive got a 103d and its spectacular. great value tbh. most are able to be improved too

Getgaff
31-03-2018, 11:15
I have the 205 and despite it’s eye-watering price it is a fantastic universal device; there’s very little it can’t do.

Well worth ploughing through the official owners thread over at AVS here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2821841-official-oppo-udp-205-uhd-blu-ray-player-owner-s-thread.html

prestonchipfryer
31-03-2018, 11:21
I've had one for six months now and it is a fabulous piece of kit. Stunning sound quality with all formats. :)

Gazjam
31-03-2018, 12:40
Own a heavily modded 203 and yup, Oppo’s are an endgame product.
But not if your looking to do streaming....

The 205 like my 203 is geared towards playback only and unlike Grant’s 103D doesn’t have any installed apps or the facility to have any.
Not a problem, just use it’s HDMI input and plug in a streaming box of some kind. This will let you use the Oppos picture processing and sound quality for things like Netflix and YouTube.
Its awesome for that.

Tv box wise, I’ve tried a few, best Ive found (by far in terms of performance and what you can do with it) is an Nvidia Shield.
Doesnt reduce your box count though (!) but Streaming boxes can be tiny and put out the way.

In terms of absolute sound quality I personally dont believe the cost difference between the 203 and 205 isn’t worth it.
Nope. :scratch:
Unless your heavily invested in SACD and have a huge collection of discs then where native playback of SACDs from the 205 will be better than the 203’s.
BUT the Devils in the detail and I bought an SACD out of curiosity and didnt hear any difference worth getting excited about comparing SACD playback with the same disc using an HDMI audio extractor into my Dac.
So As always theres nomreal absolutes and the usual answer is...it depends, try and hear one at a dealer and compare.

I did a direct comparison at a Dealer of my 103 with Young dac against a 105 and mines sounded better.
The 205 has a better Dac chip that the 105 for sure, but I’d STILL be getting a 203, a streaming box and put money saved into a better dac, after a conversation with the same Dealer recently.
Was originally going to pick up a 205 but he said the 205s dac is good, but no better than a Chord Mojo they compared it with.

Food for thought?

Also,
Think of it this way,

The 205 costs £1400, but you shouldnt expect the same sound quality of a £1400 Dac?
All relative though of course, the one (well...two) box 205 solution’s extra cost may be worth it to you for various factors it brings to the table.
A big investment, take time to hear options for yourself is my advice.

Just my £0.02 worth, based on my own experience. :)

bob4333
31-03-2018, 13:46
.......But not if your looking to do streaming....

I personally dont think the cost difference between the 203 and 205 is worth it.
The 203s digital outout is superior to the 103s and the 105 was easily bettered by my 103 into my Young dac.

205 has better Dac chip that the 105 for sure, but I’d be getting a 203, a streaming box and out money saved into a better dac.
Was originally going to pick up a 205 but discussing with my Dealer he said the 205s dac is good, but no better than a Chord Mojo they compared it with.

All relative though of course, the one (well...two) box 205 solution’s extra cost may be worth it to you for various factors.

Thanks, that's useful however I think I may have not expressed myself too well. The streaming bit is reading music files from a NAS via cat5e cable, processing them and outputting to my stereo pre amp. I was interpreting the OPPO blurb (below) as being able to do this. Have I misunderstood...?

"Home Network Access
Built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi or Gigabit Ethernet connects the UDP-205 to users’ home networks, so users can easily play media files stored on computers and home servers."

I've probably misused the word "streaming" when I should have called it "networking"? (I have no interest in the likes of Spotify, Tidal etc so that makes things easier).

I think your comment "The 205 costs £1400, but you shouldnt expect the same quality of a £1400 Dac" is really at the heart of my concerns - and is also the reason for skipping straight to the 205 rather than the 105. Everything I read tells me the extra cost of the 205 is all about SQ, both having the same video platform.

I wouldn't want to replace the Cyrus / Leema DAC (which was actually a coincidental £1399.00) with the 205 and then find SQ has gone backwards. But offset against this argument is the fact that the Leema DAC represents tech of about 10 years ago and the OPPO offering is a bit more up to date: I assume things move on, at least in this arena.

So if I've understood all of this correctly I should maybe pause for thought and look for another solution.......? Reducing the box count is of only secondary interest - I could just change the Disc player and keep everything else.

And I thought this might have been a simple one.....:doh:

Gazjam
31-03-2018, 14:51
Ah, I see.
My bad.

Yeah, the Oppos are great audio streamers, can even act as Roon endpoints with the latest firmware.
Your good to go on that front, plays all manner of file formats and sounds great.

The 205 has better video circuitry and transport mech. than the 105, but the same as the 203, think thats what you meant. :)
I too was going to go straight for the 205, but I had a rethink after my Dealer (who’s opinion I trust) said after listening for himself the 205’s Dac was on a par with Chord Mojo, and as my own Dac was miles better than that I decided to buy the 203 (with same image quality as the 205) but send its audio to my superior sounding Dac.
Your dacs still extremely good, an oldie but a goodie.
Dont assume newer is always better!

Never regretted buying the 203 over the 205..made absolute sense to me.
Same image quality and facilities, just with the added versatility of changing its audio quality with dac of your choice.

The 205s a great machine no doubt, but its very expensive.
It costs more than my 203 with all the mods Ive done to mine, and I’d bet mines sounds noticably better.

I put a thread up here on AOS when I was modding my 203, some light reading...give it a look-see and see what you think.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?56087-Hey-guess-what-I%92m-about-to-do-Major-Oppo-mods&highlight=Oppo+mods
You can of course mod the 205 too, but then it gets MIGHTY expensive and in my opinion diminishing returns has kicked in way way back.

Sorry for complicating things :)

Thanks, that's useful however I think I may have not expressed myself too well. The streaming bit is reading music files from a NAS via cat5e cable, processing them and outputting to my stereo pre amp. I was interpreting the OPPO blurb (below) as being able to do this. Have I misunderstood...?

"Home Network Access
Built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi or Gigabit Ethernet connects the UDP-205 to users’ home networks, so users can easily play media files stored on computers and home servers."

I've probably misused the word "streaming" when I should have called it "networking"? (I have no interest in the likes of Spotify, Tidal etc so that makes things easier).

I think your comment "The 205 costs £1400, but you shouldnt expect the same quality of a £1400 Dac" is really at the heart of my concerns - and is also the reason for skipping straight to the 205 rather than the 105. Everything I read tells me the extra cost of the 205 is all about SQ, both having the same video platform.

I wouldn't want to replace the Cyrus / Leema DAC (which was actually a coincidental £1399.00) with the 205 and then find SQ has gone backwards. But offset against this argument is the fact that the Leema DAC represents tech of about 10 years ago and the OPPO offering is a bit more up to date: I assume things move on, at least in this arena.

So if I've understood all of this correctly I should maybe pause for thought and look for another solution.......? Reducing the box count is of only secondary interest - I could just change the Disc player and keep everything else.

And I thought this might have been a simple one.....:doh:

bob4333
01-04-2018, 11:13
The 205 has better video circuitry and transport mech. than the 105, but the same as the 203, think thats what you meant. :)

I put a thread up here on AOS when I was modding my 203, some light reading...give it a look-see and see what you think.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?56087-Hey-guess-what-I%92m-about-to-do-Major-Oppo-mods&highlight=Oppo+mods

Yes, it was the 203 I meant, thanks.:o Too long staring at too many numbers.

I've read your thread on modding the 203 a couple of times now. Well laid out with plenty of pix and you make it sound so easy: I've bookmarked it. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

This is all helping me pick my way through and although it's only a part of the puzzle (my 42" plasma screen will have to go (no HDMI), together with the "S" video cable that runs 20' under the floor boards to feed it) my priority is to get the audio side optimised. I may keep the DAC until all else is sorted just in case. But I'd rather spend well and spend once than have to revisit it because I'm a bit underwhelmed, always thinking of what might have been............. So many options.

And if all of this works I'll probably get some earache to uplift the main TV in our lounge. Time was we used to wait until these things broke then chuck them out and buy the next generation - but they don't break now!

Gazjam
01-04-2018, 11:40
Hear you Bob on doing things once, and doing it right...

Spent years swapping kit, cables and god knows what else.
Decided to step off the anxiety train and just get kit I’d be happy keeping.
Costly, yeah, but not so much in comparison to what Ive spent “upgrading” my kit over the years...and never been truly happy with.

I had a pretty good AV setup, took it pretty much as far as I could for 1080p.
Really enjoyed my older Oppo 103 Darbee and was content, but the jump to 4K was significant enough I decided to invest.
Like you, that ‘what might have been’ feeling was at the top of my mind so wanted to do it right, so I could forget about and just enjoy the investment.

Oppo... no other players for me, so 4K 205/203 were the only options.

Happy to invest, but never to waste money so I really looked into the 205 vs 203.
You know the results of that and I’d risk it to say that as my modded 203 has upgrades to sound AND image quality it’s a better player than the far more expensive 205.
The linear power supply is an absolute belter, and upgrades EVERYTHING.

I’d keep your dac for now, treat that seperately from the AV stuff and invest in a really good one later.
Having recently been where you are TV wise and did a lot of research and viewing, the TVs I’d absolutely recommend are the Sony A1e OLED 4K panels.
Budget dependant, they come in 55”, 65” and 77” sizes and the picture quality is gobsmackingly good.
With one if these you’ll never get that “What if?” feeling...they really are off the scale quality wise.

Not the cheapest option, but..hey...you know.

Getgaff
03-04-2018, 05:27
You might want to reconsider and look for an alternative following this announcement:

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

A real shame, but I can take comfort knowing my Oppo 205 won’t be replaced by a newer model any time soon!

struth
03-04-2018, 07:19
You might want to reconsider and look for an alternative following this announcement:

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

A real shame, but I can take comfort knowing my Oppo 205 won’t be replaced by a newer model any time soon!

very odd decision.

bob4333
03-04-2018, 07:34
That's a surprise and no mistake. Now I really have a decision to make.

Do I get one now whilst they're still available or look elsewhere?

Trouble is I'm struggling to find something similar to the 205 with the same performance and audio out options. A real head scratcher. :scratch:

struth
03-04-2018, 08:01
maybe an issue with the new dolby atmos..... i take it, it is not connected to the date:scratch:

bob4333
03-04-2018, 08:40
For those that have a 205, how warm does it run?

I've downloaded the manual and read the recommendation of 4" clearance at the top, sides and rear: I'd struggle to achieve 4" at the top.

Can anyone also confirm that the EU version is DVD all region and Blu-Ray region B?

(Still mystified by the 2nd April announcement - can't recall seeing anything like that from a successful manufacturer, they normally just sell out)

Thanks Bob

prestonchipfryer
03-04-2018, 09:52
For those that have a 205, how warm does it run?

I've downloaded the manual and read the recommendation of 4" clearance at the top, sides and rear: I'd struggle to achieve 4" at the top.

Can anyone also confirm that the EU version is DVD all region and Blu-Ray region B?

(Still mystified by the 2nd April announcement - can't recall seeing anything like that from a successful manufacturer, they normally just sell out)

Thanks Bob

Mine doesn't run warm. Only around 2'' clearance above on my rack. The shelf above is slightly recessed. Does seem odd that they are stopping production of these fine machines. Owning two Oppo's, it is disappointing if true.

https://s18.postimg.org/ql58bg5d5/oppo205c.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Clive197
03-04-2018, 11:30
I’m on my 3rd OPPO (95,105D,205) and can say without doubt that the currant 205 SQ is second to none. I only use the OPPO streaming for movies and find for music it’s a bit clunky (I use a Cyrus StreamX Signature for that) but that should not put you off as SQ is not the issue here. I also use OPPO PM1 Headphones with no thoughts of changing those either.
For SACD, DVD-A & BluRay music there is not a machine anywhere near the price point to beat it let alone match.
My advice, simply is rush out and buy before they get as rare as hen’s teeth. OPPO’s decision to stop manufacturing is very strange but my gut feeling is that it’s something to do with OPPO in China pulling the plug because of Trumps decision to impose 25% duty on imports to America from China. All OPPO’s products are built in China and it is at the the end of the day a Chinese company.

bob4333
03-04-2018, 16:31
Clive, where does the signal go when playing SACD, DVD-A & BluRay music, through the Oppo DAC or out to your Cyrus DAC XP Signature and in to your system?

When you say "clunky" is this in terms of the software or the music coming out? Is your NAS relying on a WiFi link or hard cabled?

Thanks, Bob

Clive197
03-04-2018, 17:27
Clive, where does the signal go when playing SACD, DVD-A & BluRay music, through the Oppo DAC or out to your Cyrus DAC XP Signature and in to your system?

When you say "clunky" is this in terms of the software or the music coming out? Is your NAS relying on a WiFi link or hard cabled?

Thanks, Bob

I will answer your questions in order.

1: I have connected by both digital and analogue between the 205 & DACXP. When playing SACD I use the analog line (necessary as SACD won’t transmit digitally) and for all else the digital.

2: Clunky refers to the way the OPPO app works when streaming. With it rarely showing artwork and rarely is gapless. The Cadence app for Cyrus is far from perfect but in comparison runs well.

3: My NAS & HiFi are all on a wired home network.

bob4333
03-04-2018, 18:08
Thanks Clive.

"Clunky refers to the way the OPPO app works when streaming. With it rarely showing artwork and rarely is gapless." Does everyone else with a 205 recognise this?

The non-gapless aspect would be a major spoiler for me when streaming audio, to the extent of not using it if I've understood your comment correctly.

I guess I'd have to keep the Cyrus / Leema DAC. I find the Cadence App to be disappointing and Cyrus don't seem very bothered in developing it - but that's another topic entirely.

Again, very helpful insight.

Bob

struth
03-04-2018, 18:40
yup the app is nowt to write home about although Ive seen worse. Ive been trying streaming to my 103 from the pc and from the network hdd on the router, and that works better, and art work mostly appears. Ive also got an hdd plugged in back and although it works, is not as good.

bob4333
04-04-2018, 17:45
Job done! Oppo 205 on order from Richer Sounds - despite the shaky news from Oppo HQ - and bunged in the 6 year refundable warranty just in case. Richer say they have 49 205's left in the country and then that's it. Well, 48 now.

Although it doesn't seem to quite give me everything (Clive and Grant, thanks for the heads up) I still couldn't find anything similar that would fit in well with my slightly bespoke installation and the analogue outputs. I'll just have to see how it goes with the streaming app before deciding to part with what I have.

Spent the afternoon looking at 4K screens - eyes going round now like that snake off the Jungle Book. This could be even more complex than sorting the player! Gazjam's Sony OLED panels looked great until I looked at the price of them. :eek:

Then it's time to man up and open the spidey hole that lets me under the floorboards to run a goodly length of HDMI cable, whilst trying to imagine what I'm EVER likely to want down there so I NEVER have to go down there again (been down there 3 times in 12 years, each time thinking it was the last).

Thanks to everyone for their views and help.

Bob

Gazjam
04-04-2018, 20:33
Unfortunately...yeah.
The Sony OLEDs are current state of the art, therefore not cheap.

Glad you got a happy result though mate, its what its all about.

Could have saved yer self some money though, bought a 203, and use it with your Dac?
Would have sounded better with everything except (arguably) native SACD playback.
That's where the mods come in :eyebrows:

Your sorted though..so all good.
205's a cracker, great pride of ownership...Oppo's last flagship player..ever. enjoy! :)

Clive197
05-04-2018, 11:43
Just remember that ALL OLED panels are made by LG.

bob4333
05-04-2018, 13:32
Could have saved yer self some money though, bought a 203, and use it with your Dac?

Yes, you're quite right and I did contemplate this but the dedicated pair of stereo outputs, together with the analogue pre outs of the 205 are features that will be extremely useful, as I'll be using the rear and centre channels from my non HDMI theatre amp with the front channels being achieved via a pass through on the LS27 into the Musical Fidelity power amp.

It all gets a bit messy otherwise (a future rethink perhaps.............see how it goes).

I also considered the 203 plus upgrades as I know which end of a soldering iron to hold, but in the end decided against embarking on another hobby - rewarding though it might have been. I'm just going to have to see how it all works out but I think I've got the options covered.

Didn't know that Clive which puts an interesting slant on screen shopping. Whether I'll get anywhere near the OLED price point is yet to be decided.

One thing I did notice yesterday was the standout quality of a Panasonic TX50EX750B in comparison to the screens around it. This is a 3D screen (didn't know it at the time until I asked "why is it better"), the others were 2D ranging in price from about £600 to £1200. 3D isn't something I'm looking for but this beat all those around it in terms of image quality. Cost was £799. Same model in 2D is £549. Explanation given was it's a spin off benefit of the 3D technology. I have no idea if this is true or not but it looked good in comparison.

Just had a call - OPPO scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Getgaff
05-04-2018, 17:27
One thing I did notice yesterday was the standout quality of a Panasonic TX50EX750B in comparison to the screens around it. This is a 3D screen (didn't know it at the time until I asked "why is it better"), the others were 2D ranging in price from about £600 to £1200. 3D isn't something I'm looking for but this beat all those around it in terms of image quality. Cost was £799. Same model in 2D is £549. Explanation given was it's a spin off benefit of the 3D technology. I have no idea if this is true or not but it looked good in comparison.
Was this in Currys by any chance? Absolute bollocks that a 3D screen would be any better than a 2D screen. Granted the internal processor of the more expensive TV might be an upgrade over its lesser 2D sibling, but it won’t be a better image because it’s simply a 3D TV.

The current generation of LG OLEDs are not 3D panels and they’re capable of producing the best image right now.

bob4333
06-04-2018, 07:53
No, I have yet to be patronised by the superior, smug, vacuum cleaner salesmen in Currys but I do need to go and look even if just to get an appreciation of the same screens in a different setting.

This was in another shop where past experience has shown that if they don't know they will say so and go and find out.

Bollocks it may well be but I'm going on the evidence of my own eyes and that particular screen had a noticeably better quality image than some of the more expensive screens around it - excellent though they were. The thought occurred to me that maybe the settings were tweaked, but if so why would they do one and not all of them? If this were the tactic then surely they'd do the more expensive screens?

(I also feel I'm starting to get personally acquainted with Matt Damon in "The Martian")

Clive197
06-04-2018, 08:50
As an ex employee at Sevenoaks Sound and Vision as a salesman/installer prior to retirement I would council caution when looking at picture quality in shops, especially Curry’s. Screens are not generally set-up properly in a lot of stores and easily give a false impression. It was always my experience that 3D screens were slightly inferior to their 2D counterparts due to the processing required.

To make an informed decision, I would suggest scouring the world wide net for reviews but generally you won’t go far wrong with any of the major brands. There are many video’s on uTube which can show you how to calibrate picture quality to close to professional standards and if you really want to throw the boat out you can always get a company to come and calibrate your new TV, but this can cost about £4-500. Good luck

bob4333
06-04-2018, 10:33
As an ex employee at Sevenoaks Sound and Vision as a salesman/installer prior to retirement I would council caution when looking at picture quality in shops, especially Curry’s. Screens are not generally set-up properly in a lot of stores and easily give a false impression. It was always my experience that 3D screens were slightly inferior to their 2D counterparts due to the processing required.

To make an informed decision, I would suggest scouring the world wide net for reviews but generally you won’t go far wrong with any of the major brands. There are many video’s on uTube which can show you how to calibrate picture quality to close to professional standards and if you really want to throw the boat out you can always get a company to come and calibrate your new TV, but this can cost about £4-500. Good luck

Can't fall out with any of that Clive and my logic (off beam perhaps) goes along with thinking that a screen made for 3D will be optimised for that format and that 2D may just be OK. Strangely, that wasn't what I saw with the 3D Panasonic.

Already on the case trying to see if there's a consensus on different review sites that starts to point to a particular model. I guess we all have our favourites (and unfortunately prejudices). I also subscribe to the fact that it's probably going to look quite different at home in a room rather than shop conditions. I hadn't thought about YouTube set up vid's so that's worth knowing.

Problem is I'm going to be easily impressed coming from a 2004 Plasma screen playing DVD, which actually still doesn't seem too shabby but nothing like what I've seen this week.

Gazjam
06-04-2018, 11:00

Yup,
its Sony's picture processing engine that makes the difference.