PDA

View Full Version : WTB 2 RCA Phono Plugs

smangus
28-03-2018, 21:12
Hi

Slightly odd request here, anyway I was moving my kit around for various reasons and when I plugged it all back in and spun my 1st album the sound from the right hand speaker was missing :scratch:

Any way checking it all connections etc this was only an issue with my turntable. Looking at the RCA phono plugs at the end of the tone arm I noticed they were looking a bit tatty as the rubber grips were starting to perish, I unscrewed them and on one the wire had come loose, problem identified. :(

Now I could solder this back no problem but thought that it would be an opportunity to replace the plugs with new ones. Checking on line most half decent plugs seem to be sold in quads and as I only need 2 I thought I'd check in here to see if anybody has 2 spare ones they don't need lying around.

The current ones are copper gold plated Origin Live ones so anything similar would be good , happy to consider anything else though if they are of higher quality.

Willing to pay of course and add P+P. :)

What have you AOSers got at the bottom of your drawers!:D

Cheers Andy

GrahamS
28-03-2018, 21:23
https://goo.gl/3Apr6y

Bigman80
28-03-2018, 21:26
Erm? They aren't the best in any way shape or form.

Spend £20 on some MSaudio plugs. You get 4 but at that price they are simply Excellent. You can always remove them at a later date if you want to.

smangus
28-03-2018, 21:34
thanks guys, to clarify , not looking for the cheapest happy to pay 20 quid or so. :)

mac72
28-03-2018, 21:45
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEUTRIK-PROFI-Phono-RCA-PLUGS-NF2C-B-2-Professional-Audio-Cable-Connectors-PAIR/292291616597?hash=item440df01f55:g:1z8AAOSw9-FZ4AWN

Bigman80
28-03-2018, 22:05
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEUTRIK-PROFI-Phono-RCA-PLUGS-NF2C-B-2-Professional-Audio-Cable-Connectors-PAIR/292291616597?hash=item440df01f55:g:1z8AAOSw9-FZ4AWNThese are awful. Had some on a pair of MG1000HD Cables. As soon as some replacement plugs were fitted, the cables actually sounded pretty good. The outer sleeve retracts. Awful design.

Barry
28-03-2018, 22:05
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEUTRIK-PROFI-Phono-RCA-PLUGS-NF2C-B-2-Professional-Audio-Cable-Connectors-PAIR/292291616597?hash=item440df01f55:g:1z8AAOSw9-FZ4AWN

Those are what I would choose to use.

lilolee
28-03-2018, 22:19
^ and what rega use

lilolee
28-03-2018, 22:28
^ and what rega use

https://i1.adis.ws/i/maplin/A30QT_1?w=365&qlt=80&img404=A30QT_set&v=1&locale=en-gb
These https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rean-phono-cable-connector-red-a30qt

smangus
28-03-2018, 22:32
thought maplins was bust?

walpurgis
28-03-2018, 22:35
Whatever Maplins sold can likely be found on ebay and for less.

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 00:26
^ and what rega use

https://i1.adis.ws/i/maplin/A30QT_1?w=365&qlt=80&img404=A30QT_set&v=1&locale=en-gb
These https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rean-phono-cable-connector-red-a30qtThese are fine for the money.

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 00:27
Those are what I would choose to use.Bonkers. Moving mechanical parts on a RCA. Serves no purpose other than gimmickry.

Awful plug. Honestly.

The contacts are brass!!! Not even gold plated copper and they £16 for two!!!

Talk that the plug "breaks the signal from the ground due to retractable screen" < utter crap from the marketing team.

Here's the Foo*

Makes ground before signal contact and breaks signal before ground < no other doesn't. The contact pin HAS to go in first because the ground contact retracts!!

No more disturbing noise and broken speaker cones < many an instances of RCA plugs breaking speaker cones is there?

Precisely machined to our demanding quality standards !

Neutrik unique chuck type strain relief

All personal opinion of course [emoji6]

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 00:37
Andy,

I've spent many many hours and a shed load of cash, trying all different kinds of plugs and cable combinations. I know the guys here have loads of experience but please just go and buy the MSaudio plugs and rest assured that there is NO better plug at that price for 4.

Firebottle
29-03-2018, 06:29
Bonkers. Moving mechanical parts on a RCA. Serves no purpose other than gimmickry.

Awful plug. Honestly.

I've tried these also and totally agree, AVOID.

Stryder5
29-03-2018, 06:40
Those are what I would choose to use.

I agree with Bigman80, these are not very good plugs.

smangus
29-03-2018, 07:08
Sounds like MS Audio are in the lead any other offers before I pull the trigger on them ? Thanks for all the suggestions btw.
cheers Andy

brian2957
29-03-2018, 07:16
Andy,

I've spent many many hours and a shed load of cash, trying all different kinds of plugs and cable combinations. I know the guys here have loads of experience but please just go and buy the MSaudio plugs and rest assured that there is NO better plug at that price for 4.

Agree with Oliver , these plugs are excellent for the money , particularly the silver ones ( IMO ) .

lilolee
29-03-2018, 07:17
Sorry now off topic - I've had problems with the MS Audio type strain relief, with thinner cables moving and and breaking their joint. Is there a nice solution other than cutting a thick piece of plastic and have the grub screw push into that and holding the cable in place?

brian2957
29-03-2018, 07:21
I usually put some heatshrink over the cable and the joint before putting the barrel on . If still not happy I put heatshrink over the barrel and the cable .

lilolee
29-03-2018, 07:45
Makes sense. Must get some heatshrink then!

smangus
29-03-2018, 08:06
good point , my tone arm cables are fairly thin.

struth
29-03-2018, 08:22
i power down the amp first. or if its viable, turn to another input while changing

Freddypipsqueek
29-03-2018, 08:51
I like the (Neutrik) profi plugs and found them equal to WBTs. I would say however that I have mainly used them on SPDIF cables. As I understand it, the plugs can create an impedience issues and I understand the Profi's are 75ohm. I ended up with the profi's because they were Nordost standard fit on their high end cables for a long time so I assumed they can't be all bad. A.

walpurgis
29-03-2018, 08:57
The recent enthusiasm for Rhodium and Silver plated RCA Phono plugs seems to have died down. Were they any good?

If the contact area is decent, I can't see anything wrong with gold plate personally. It makes for a good oxide free mating surface.

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 09:01
The recent enthusiasm for Rhodium and Silver plated RCA Phono plugs seems to have died down. Were they any good?

If the contact area is decent, I can't see anything wrong with gold plate personally. It makes for a good oxide free mating surface.The biggest difference is conductivity, Geoff.

Gold on copper is usually around 90%. Rhodium was not much different and silver is usually greater than 101%. Pure silver is usually 106%

Don't ask how they come up with that figure lol

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 09:02
I like the (Neutrik) profi plugs and found them equal to WBTs. I would say however that I have mainly used them on SPDIF cables. As I understand it, the plugs can create an impedience issues and I understand the Profi's are 75ohm. I ended up with the profi's because they were Nordost standard fit on their high end cables for a long time so I assumed they can't be all bad. A.Yep, I think they equal WBT too. I don't like them either.

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 09:05
No, it isn't foo. The ground side of the plug does make connection before the centre pin and does prevent the horrendous buzzing noise that other plugs make. I don't know how you can dismiss that as "foo". It's a simple fact. They can be useful in a live concert or studio environment where things get plugged and unplugged often and horrendous buzzing noises can't be tolerated.In domestic use, it's completely irrelevant. As Grant says, volume down, different input.

Foo may have been the wrong word, it was late, I was tired. [emoji16]

walpurgis
29-03-2018, 09:08
The biggest difference is conductivity, Geoff.

Gold on copper is usually around 90%. Rhodium was not much different and silver is usually greater than 101%. Pure silver is usually 106%

Don't ask how they come up with that figure lol

Plating conductivity is unimportant if the conductor cross section at contact areas is adequate. You could use lead or zinc for the difference it would make. Same applies to the plug structure. Choosing between metals like copper or brass should really be down to cost and durability, as the conductor cross section in phono plugs is usually vastly greater than required for the small signals involved. Anything else is just to look fancy.

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 09:10
Sorry now off topic - I've had problems with the MS Audio type strain relief, with thinner cables moving and and breaking their joint. Is there a nice solution other than cutting a thick piece of plastic and have the grub screw push into that and holding the cable in place?There is another way which is a bit more......extreme?

Once the thin cable is soldered and heat shrink is applied to the joint, fill the plug with epoxy. It's tricky to get the cable centred while the epoxy sets but there's no better strain relief.

A bit mad I know but I have really spent a lot of time experimenting lol

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 09:13
Plating conductivity is unimportant if the conductor cross section at contact areas is adequate. You could use lead or zinc for the difference it would make. Same applies to the plug structure. Choosing between metals like copper or brass should really be down to cost and durability, as the conductor cross section in phono plugs is usually vastly greater than required for the small signals involved. Anything else is just to look fancy.Like i said, Geoff, I have no idea how they get those figures (how can anything be more than 100%!) BUT experimenting with plugs made by the same company with different plating did make a difference. Subtle but apparent.

As stated, it's personal opinion.

walpurgis
29-03-2018, 09:17
I've heard similar things about silver (loaded) solder. In practice, it offers no benefits and can be a nuisance to use due to the higher melting point, like other non-lead solders.

Stryder5
29-03-2018, 09:23
It's an IACS number, International Annealled Copper Standard, This standard refers to a pure, "standard" copper having a resistivity of 1.7241 microhm-cm at 20°C (68°F). So it's a comparative number hence you can go over 100%.

Like i said, Geoff, I have no idea how they get those figures (how can anything be more than 100%!) BUT experimenting with plugs made by the same company with different plating did make a difference. Subtle but apparent.

As stated, it's personal opinion.

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 09:25
I've heard similar things about silver (loaded) solder. In practice, it offers no benefits and can be a nuisance to use due to the higher melting point, like other non-lead solders.Silver solder isnt as good (IMO) as leadfree solder but when using silvering cable and plugs I tend to use it regardless for Continuity.

There is high csilver solder that has a low melting point too. A company called "Shockwave" sell via eBay.

Bigman80
29-03-2018, 09:25
It's an IACS number, International Annealled Copper Standard, This standard refers to a pure, "standard" copper having a resistivity of 1.7241 microhm-cm at 20°C (68°F). So it's a comparative number hence you can go over 100%.Thanks Gary!! Good info.

CageyH
29-03-2018, 09:39
Personally, I would look for a plug that offers good strain relief on the smaller diameter cable as my first priority. Yes, you can get MS Audio plugs to fit, but they take at least a week to arrI’ve.

Stryder5
29-03-2018, 09:54
Self amalgamating tape can be used to ensure good cable strain relief on any plug.

Primalsea
29-03-2018, 10:50
Its plugs designed for different requirements. In a domestic hifi environment people are more interested in how a plug may “sound” compared to another and whether they make a good long lasting connection as leads don’t tend to be unplugged very often.

In a stage or tour environment the practical requirements are making the earth connection before the signal connection and being able to survive countless cycles of plugging and unplugging.

smangus
08-04-2018, 12:56
Ok went with Oliver's suggestion and got some MS Audio plugs . Conclusion? I really really need to practiceby soldering ! :lol::lol:

Thanks to all who advised got my vinyl back on !:cool:

Bigman80
08-04-2018, 13:44
Ok went with Oliver's suggestion and got some MS Audio plugs . Conclusion? I really really need to practiceby soldering ! [emoji38][emoji38]

Thanks to all who advised got my vinyl back on !:cool:[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] oh no! Haven't ruined them have you? If in need, send them up, I'll sort them out for you.

smangus
08-04-2018, 15:48
Hi mate thanksfor the offer but got them on ok in the end and playing nicely now. Given I only needed 2 I have 2 spare from a set of 4 just in case now.

Bigman80
08-04-2018, 15:58
Hi mate thanksfor the offer but got them on ok in the end and playing nicely now. Given I only needed 2 I have 2 spare from a set of 4 just in case now.Ah, sweet. Glad it worked out. They. Are good plugs.