PDA

View Full Version : Why I've decided I really like a decent set of headphones.

twelvebears
15-03-2010, 20:31
Yes of course it allows me to blast myself with some decent tunes at a socially unacceptable level whenever I want to, but that's not the main reason.

The real reason is that they act as a great reference for the kind of resolution, dynamics and frequency balance I'm trying to get from my speakers and amp.

Yes of course 'phones don't image in the way speakers do, they can't because of the way left and right ears are isolated, but it does allow me to judge if my speakers are digging deep enough.

Obviously this works on the basis that you like the phones and that the headphone amp is up to the job.

Alex_UK
16-03-2010, 08:18
Obviously this works on the basis that you like the phones and that the headphone amp is up to the job.

Which ones are you using Steve?

More by necessity than design, more of my listening is now done by headphones than ever, whereas before it was practically zero. I just bought a set of Goldring NS1000 Noise Cancelling 'phones cheap, which are great for shutting out Eastenders/Coronation Street/Other Crap my wife watches on TV, though my Grado SR60s driven from the headphone output of the Caiman sound pretty good to my ears. I'd like to try some better Grados some day.

DSJR
16-03-2010, 11:15
Please watch headphone volume levels. I have the Tinitus to prove it..........

Barry
16-03-2010, 14:10
I would second that Dave. It's quite easy to be unaware of the high levels your ears are being subjected to when using headphones.

Furthermore, you shouldn't use headphones for prolonged listening sessions, even at low levels, as it will upset the natural tuning of the ear.

The late Peter Walker of Quad claimed headphone sockets were not fitted to their amplifiers for the reasons above.

Frankly, I can't listen to headphones for more than about half an hour. I imagine an hour is about the maximum duration after which you should give your ears a rest.

Regards

break-3
16-03-2010, 17:58
Since my son arrived I've found it ever more difficult to power up my speakers (although he likes to rock along for short periods - loves a bit of Yeasayer). Also, as I work from home occasionally, I need to be able to shut home life out.

I sold my headphone set-up over a year ago, so I'm having to rebuild. Auditioning a few pairs - Grado PS1000, Audio Technica W5000 and Sennheiser HD800 - as well as fiddling with various headphone amps. In fact, I should have a DIY project amp arriving tomorrow. :eyebrows: Will I have time to complete it? Probably not. :rolleyes:

Themis
16-03-2010, 19:15
The real reason is that they act as a great reference for the kind of resolution, dynamics and frequency balance I'm trying to get from my speakers and amp.

Yes of course 'phones don't image in the way speakers do, they can't because of the way left and right ears are isolated, but it does allow me to judge if my speakers are digging deep enough.

Reference headphones are tonally and dynamically exactly that : reference. ;)
I even feel that it's very hard for speakers to match, because of the extremely low distortion. So, when a source-amp-speaker combo comes very close to reference headphones on selected areas, it means the combo is a success. :)

twelvebears
18-03-2010, 18:15
Which ones are you using Steve?

Ah yes, good point. AKG 701Ks running (at present) from the headphone socket of my Benchmark, but will buy one of Alex's headphone amps in due course.

twelvebears
18-03-2010, 18:21
Reference headphones are tonally and dynamically exactly that : reference. ;)
I even feel that it's very hard for speakers to match, because of the extremely low distortion. So, when a source-amp-speaker combo comes very close to reference headphones on selected areas, it means the combo is a success. :)

And I have to say that on that basis, I'm quite pleased with the way things are sounding at home. I really don't feel the amp/speak combo is giving up much compare with the 'phones, which is quite gratifying considered how the speakers came to be.

Alex_UK
18-03-2010, 22:14
I am certainly being drawn more toward headphone upgrades than speakers - It is really only me who gives a monkeys about sound quality in our house, and a £300 pair of headphones should in theory beat a similarly priced pair of speakers hands down...

Rare Bird
19-03-2010, 07:59
Please watch headphone volume levels. I have the Tinitus to prove it..........

Aye i've purposly decreaded the Resistor value on my headphone output so it never goes any louder than what i call too loud, yu do get temped to go overboard see.

Themis
19-03-2010, 22:26
I am certainly being drawn more toward headphone upgrades than speakers - It is really only me who gives a monkeys about sound quality in our house, and a £300 pair of headphones should in theory beat a similarly priced pair of speakers hands down...
My £100 (good) headphone beats any speaker I've listened to under £2k. ;)

Alex_UK
20-03-2010, 00:36
well go on then, spill the beans (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/329900.html) - what is this £100 marvel? ;)

Themis
20-03-2010, 07:16
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1473

And to put it in proportion with similarly-priced others:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=43&graphID[]=353&graphID[]=1473

Do you notice something ? :rolleyes: