PDA

View Full Version : Can someone enlighten me...?

Andy1
22-03-2018, 20:58
Hi everyone.. Im on the lookout for a pre amp. What the heck are the differences (apart from tone controls/ no tone controls, phono, remote or not, facia finish) of all the rotel pre amps I've been sifting through on the 'Bay? Im talking RC 850, 860, 971, 972, 980..etc etc. the choice seems to go on and on (and the weight differences are dramatic too- 3kg to around 5kg. The specs on hifi engine talk about some slight frequency differences but as a beginner I can't spot much else.
I want a phono. Not fussed about remote (that much) or age. Going to use it to run 2 rotel rb 970's in bridged mode. As Used pre's, most of these seem to command a similar price.
Is there anything I should avoid in this series and anything I should go for? ( I have considered the ra series and just use the pre out.. but they look 'cheaper' )
Any pointers would be appreciated!

( I have missed a couple of decent adcoms and have seen a David hafler but not a clue whether these are worth a punt over the rotels).

Boyse6748
22-03-2018, 21:38
Hi everyone.. Im on the lookout for a pre amp. What the heck are the differences (apart from tone controls/ no tone controls, phono, remote or not, facia finish) of all the rotel pre amps I've been sifting through on the 'Bay? Im talking RC 850, 860, 971, 972, 980..etc etc. the choice seems to go on and on (and the weight differences are dramatic too- 3kg to around 5kg. The specs on hifi engine talk about some slight frequency differences but as a beginner I can't spot much else.
I want a phono. Not fussed about remote (that much) or age. Going to use it to run 2 rotel rb 970's in bridged mode. As Used pre's, most of these seem to command a similar price.
Is there anything I should avoid in this series and anything I should go for? ( I have considered the ra series and just use the pre out.. but they look 'cheaper' )
Any pointers would be appreciated!

( I have missed a couple of decent adcoms and have seen a David hafler but not a clue whether these are worth a punt over the rotels).

I genuinely think your missing the point here! Isn’t about what makes you happy! (Sound wise I mean). There is no best too have!! It’s what does it for you!!

Listen to what ever you can and if it makes you happy.... buy it!!

We all get caught up in recommendations by others that the sound is right!.,! And that’s what we should have! Unfortunately, that’s not always the case.

Use your ears and choose wisely.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

walpurgis
22-03-2018, 21:49
Pre-amps are limitless in choice.

Whilst Rotel integrated amps and power amps are generally decent, I can't say I've been particularly struck by their pre-amps.

An Adcom may be OK, but any Hafler is going to be pretty old.

Macca
23-03-2018, 07:31
Rotel pre-amps are a bit meh, unless you can find a Michi. Halfler are a cut above but will be old, factor in getting it serviced into the price.

Not sure what the frequency response business is all about, they will all have a flat frequency response across the audible range (if working within specification).

JimC
23-03-2018, 07:59
Some Models were 'stuffed' with Black Gates.
This could inflate their second hand value. However, what these Caps will now perform like after all this time must be in doubt and getting replacements could be impossible now, or VERY expensive!

Jim.

walpurgis
23-03-2018, 09:04
Years ago, I borrowed a Hafler DH101 pre-amp in very nice condition from a friend. He'd been raving about how good it was. I compared it to the Rappaport Pre 2 I'd been using for a while. It didn't aquit itself too well, it sounded as though somebody had thrown a blanket over the music compared to the Rappaport.

Yomanze
23-03-2018, 13:08
Preamps can often make more of a difference to the sound than power amps...

Floyddroid
23-03-2018, 13:21
Always amazed at how bloody good Rotel pre amps are.

Floyddroid
23-03-2018, 13:22
Preamps can often make more of a difference to the sound than power amps...

I would agree with you there.

Andy1
23-03-2018, 13:24
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm on a budget so buying second hand. That means I can't really get to try any of it first- not really ideal. Half the fun for me is searching, buying and then plugging it all together and listening to it- I know it's going to sound better than the set up I've had for the past 20 years..
it's all going through some vintage DM7's and the general consensus is that they'll be the limiting factor anyhow (I know I know, but I love these speakers just as I loved Ford Capris :lol:
Rotel aside, there is such a choice- and I can't get my head around the cost of top end stuff- £39k for a used amp on eBay a couple of weeks back.. :eek:!

walpurgis
23-03-2018, 14:32
I know I know, but I love these speakers just as I loved Ford Capris

There's no accounting for taste. My Capri was the worst handling car I've ever owned. An intriguing balance (unbalance?) of understeer transitioning into roll-oversteer at a whim!

STD305M
23-03-2018, 14:36
Hi Andy,

I have a Rotel RC 960 BX Preamp.
Your more than welcome to have it on loan for a week or so, you then get to hear if you like it before you buy one.
You wont be disappointed. I ran it with my Rotel RB 970 BX2, sounds great

PM me for details and arranging collection. Meet you part way if it helps

Regards Steve...

walpurgis
23-03-2018, 14:44
That's a nice offer. :thumbsup:

speedracer
23-03-2018, 14:46
There's no accounting for taste. My Capri was the worst handling car I've ever owned. An intriguing balance (unbalance?) of understeer transitioning into roll-oversteer at a whim!

A bit off topic but I have had several Capri's myself so a self confessed fanboy, but it isn't hard to get them handling really well, & when they let go there is plenty of warning before. One of mine was a 2.8 Special with a Turbo Technics turbo & a complete reworking of the suspension, & despite having upwards of 240 bhp (nothing special now but it was back then), I never got anywhere near losing control of it.

STD305M
23-03-2018, 15:00
Nice car the Capri, Ive had 2 of them in my youth.
Worth more now than when I bought them, both 3.0s models.
First was Yukky Yellow the second was Orange poss Tangerine

spendorman
23-03-2018, 15:03

I had one as a company car, one of the last I believe, a 2.0 Laser. Was surprised how much better it was (handling) than earlier Capri's.

walpurgis
23-03-2018, 15:12
Mine was a 3.0 Ghia auto. In Roman Bronze with beige vinyl roof and gold alloys.

Did you know that ones with the factory sunroof are rare. They rotted away 'cos the sunroof drain holes ran down through the screen pillars into the A section rusting them out.

STD305M
23-03-2018, 15:34
That's a nice offer. :thumbsup:

Its only gathering dust in my bedroom, Hifi should be used not stored:)

STD305M
23-03-2018, 15:36
I hated both mine, The yellow one was a bugger to start and the Orange on a bugger to stop!!!!!

spendorman
23-03-2018, 15:52
Mine was a 3.0 Ghia auto. In Roman Bronze with beige vinyl roof and gold alloys.

Did you know that ones with the factory sunroof are rare. They rotted away 'cos the sunroof drain holes ran down through the screen pillars into the A section rusting them out.

I didn't know that. Don't think mine had a sunroof.

STD305M
23-03-2018, 15:58
There is a 1980s 3.0s for sale on Classic Cars for silly money £29,995.
More than 3 times its cost when new.....

Boyse6748
23-03-2018, 17:14
There is a 1980s 3.0s for sale on Classic Cars for silly money £29,995.
More than 3 times its cost when new.....

Perhaps, I should have kept my 3.0L S (a very rare orange or red ... for the blind) until now...... and purchased a decent DAC in exchange.... lol..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barry
23-03-2018, 21:53
Years ago, I borrowed a Hafler DH101 pre-amp in very nice condition from a friend. He'd been raving about how good it was. I compared it to the Rappaport Pre 2 I'd been using for a while. It didn't aquit itself too well, it sounded as though somebody had thrown a blanket over the music compared to the Rappaport.

I expect your Rappaport Pre 2 was considerably more expensive than the Hafler DH101, but to suggest that the Hafler "sounded as if somebody had thrown a blanket over the music" (?), doesn't correspond with my experience.

I bought mine from REW in 1979 following very favourable review in the Absolute Sound. I still have it, and if Andy is interested I could dig it out, check it over, and offer it for sale. It has had very little use, so the caps ought to be fine.

walpurgis
23-03-2018, 22:09
I expect your Rappaport Pre 2 was considerably more expensive than the Hafler DH101, but to suggest that the Hafler "sounded as if somebody had thrown a blanket over the music" (?), doesn't correspond with my experience.

Compared to the Rappaport, the Hafler lacked transparency and lucidity. I was surprised myself having heard it sounding decent in my friend's system, but I tried it with my Audio Concepts Legend P300 power amp and it was not to my liking. I'd borrowed the DH101 with a view to possibly buying it, but decided against it.

Andy1
24-03-2018, 14:51
Hi Barry, I would be interested in your hafler. Please let me know more details when you uncover it

Haselsh1
24-03-2018, 16:25
Yeah, used to own an RC850 with a couple of power amps as monoblocks and always thought that the power amps powered above the preamp. The pre was a real lightweight compared to the power amps.

mannypr551
28-03-2018, 03:26
Yeah, used to own an RC850 with a couple of power amps as monoblocks and always thought that the power amps powered above the preamp. The pre was a real lightweight compared to the power amps.Be careful buying a preamp . It can make or break a system . Remember in the preamp tiny voltages are amplified so it is difficult to design properly . Add tone controls and not what and you have disaster .Add to that the fact that being of old age capacitor might be leaking you might have to in a rather short time send it for repair and it won't be inexpensive . Recomendations ? Perreaux SM2 or SM3 . P.S. Audio 4.6 or 5.0 . Audible Illusions Modulus 2C or 2D . B&k Vintage preamps were good too. All of these are well made with good quality capacitors , sound good plus look good and are inexpensive relative to their price new . If you can hear in your system before buying that would be the way to go .

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Andy Nogger
28-03-2018, 07:04
You can find the RSP960AX on eBay for around £70. Being a Pro-Logic surround processor (not even Dolby Digital) I guess people are chucking 'em out as obsolete. But it's also a fine stereo preamp.