PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating problem with Chord 2Qute dac

Whitepeak
21-03-2018, 12:52
Hello Everyone

I'm new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the right place. I have an unusual problem with which I hope the experienced, talented and electrically-qualified members of this forum may be able to help. So far Chord has failed to respond to my emails.

I recently purchased a 2Qute dac and I have to say it is very good, I have no issues with the sound which is first rate. However it keeps cutting out, briefly as if being turned on and off quickly. This happens intermittently sometimes frequently within a short period of time at other times there are big gaps between pauses.
Also, I noticed that switching another item (eg tuner) on or off also causes an interruption in the music. I use a cdp as digital source.

I have tried the usual things like changing the amp, digital source and interconnects to no avail and am now out of ideas. The only thing that works is removing the dac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

walpurgis
21-03-2018, 14:34
Yes, you are in the correct part of the forum Anthony.

I can't advise on your problem, but you might consider speaking to Chord themselves: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/

Pieoftheday
21-03-2018, 15:25
Hello Everyone

I'm new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the right place. I have an unusual problem with which I hope the experienced, talented and electrically-qualified members of this forum may be able to help. So far Chord has failed to respond to my emails.

I recently purchased a 2Qute dac and I have to say it is very good, I have no issues with the sound which is first rate. However it keeps cutting out, briefly as if being turned on and off quickly. This happens intermittently sometimes frequently within a short period of time at other times there are big gaps between pauses.
Also, I noticed that switching another item (eg tuner) on or off also causes an interruption in the music. I use a cdp as digital source.

I have tried the usual things like changing the amp, digital source and interconnects to no avail and am now out of ideas. The only thing that works is removing the dac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have e a similar issue with my Novafidelity DAC though only when running the TV through it, it will cut out for a split second, some times four or five times in ten minutes then nothing for days or weeks, haven't a clue why?

Macca
21-03-2018, 15:47
sounds like it is having trouble keeping the signal locked. Could be the connection. How are you connecting it to the CD player?

Whitepeak
21-03-2018, 17:11
I connect the dac through the coax input and have tried two different leads and use an adapter with both. Both leads are new.
The dealer had experienced the problem before when the fault was traced to an ethernet cable.

I have tried to contact Chord who,'endeavour to respond in 48 hours' but haven't replied in 6 days.
Anthony

Macca
21-03-2018, 17:55
Have you tried a different transport?

If the problem persists despite swapping out the interconnect and the transport then the problem has to be the DAC, I don't see any alternative.

If you don't have a spare transport try hooking up a computer and see if you still have the issue.

Whitepeak
21-03-2018, 20:39
Hi Martin

I have swapped the transport for a tuner - same problem. I have also swapped all the cables in turn - same problem. Like you I thought it must be the dac; it was swapped by the dealer. I plugged it in thinking all would be well but - same problem. Could it be a problem with a batch of units?
I am really disappointed with Chord's lack of response. I may phone the dealer again and see if he can get a response from them.

Anthony

Macca
21-03-2018, 20:47
Next step would be to try a different DAC. Ideally a different make and model entirely in case it is a batch issue which does happen. If you can, borrow one that is in fault-free long-term use already so you have a known quantity to test with. If problem still persists, then you have some other, weird technical issue that might take some serious investigation.

Whitepeak
21-03-2018, 21:12
Thanks for your help Martin.
I'll fiddle some more tomorrow and just check things again. I'll keep you informed.

Shovel_Knight
21-03-2018, 21:19
Does the issue happen if you use optical connection?

Whitepeak
22-03-2018, 12:17
Hi Pavel

Funny you should mention this as I sent off for a cheap optical cable to try and - it seems to work fine I have not used it for long enough to be sure but the music isn't interrupted when I turn other equipment on or off. I have not used an optical connection before and, on this cable at least, the plugs poor and don't fit securely.
From what I understand the coax connection is the better one to use
Anyway, it seems the coax connection is at fault.
Anthony

Shovel_Knight
22-03-2018, 12:25
Yes, the coaxial connection is better in terms of jitter.

I think the issue lies with galvanic isolation (or lack thereof) in the DAC, the transport or both.

Whitepeak
22-03-2018, 16:19
Yes I don't think it can be the transport as the problem still manifests when the cdp is swapped for a tuner.

montesquieu
22-03-2018, 17:02
You mention an adapter on the coax cable, what do you mean? Is one of the connections BNC?

Whitepeak
23-03-2018, 10:46
Yes the connector on the dac is bnc so with one cable which is rca on both ends I use rca to bnc and the other cable (bnc both ends) I use a bnc to rca adapter.

Still no reply to my emails from Chord which is disappointing to say the least. Chords dacs are first class products it's a shame their customer service isn't in the same league.

Macca
23-03-2018, 12:41
Probably too busy counting the money. I think they are absurdly over-priced myself.

Getgaff
23-03-2018, 17:56
This is disappointing. I’m about ready to pull the trigger on a new Chord Qutest but the OP’s experience is making me think twice.

Whitepeak
23-03-2018, 20:29
Yes Martin I think you are right. Materially they seem over priced - a lot of money for a pretty box; but sound wise?
The dealer is a very personable chap and very helpful he tried the dac I returned both in his shop and at his home without a problem. He's contacting Chord for me so I wait expectantly.
I'm also wondering if the adapters might be the problem so I've sent for another cable.

Macca
23-03-2018, 22:35
Yes Martin I think you are right. Materially they seem over priced - a lot of money for a pretty box; but sound wise?
The dealer is a very personable chap and very helpful he tried the dac I returned both in his shop and at his home without a problem. He's contacting Chord for me so I wait expectantly.
I'm also wondering if the adapters might be the problem so I've sent for another cable.

If it is to your liking and you can afford it then it doesn't really matter.

Don't listen to me, experience has made me highly sceptical as to how expensive digital needs to be to sound very good indeed. A lot of the 'better' or 'worse' opinions are more about personal preferences in the presentation as opposed to actual differences in the quality of the sound. Although the quality can vary too, don't get me wrong.

jandl100
24-03-2018, 06:24
I agree with Tom - as soon as I saw the word adapter alarm bells started to ring. I've had similar issues myself with digital connections.
And it works OK with an optical connection.
Try getting a proper BNC cable for it.

Or if you are naturally concerned with optical cable sound quality - try one of these optical cables - cheap but great sound!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-Audio-Cable-0-5-10m-XO-Ultra-Digital-DTS-SPDIF-Optical-TOSLINK-White/252812666410?epid=542354336&hash=item3adccf262a:m:mHvgiNS1-7FiiHFataNOk-w

-- EDIT - if you can get away with 0.5m I have a spare optical cable, as above, I would be happy to send you.

montesquieu
24-03-2018, 13:48
I agree with Tom - as soon as I saw the word adapter alarm bells started to ring. I've had similar issues myself with digital connections.
And it works OK with an optical connection.
Try getting a proper BNC cable for it.

Or if you are naturally concerned with optical cable sound quality - try one of these optical cables - cheap but great sound!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-Audio-Cable-0-5-10m-XO-Ultra-Digital-DTS-SPDIF-Optical-TOSLINK-White/252812666410?epid=542354336&hash=item3adccf262a:m:mHvgiNS1-7FiiHFataNOk-w

-- EDIT - if you can get away with 0.5m I have a spare optical cable, as above, I would be happy to send you.

Jerry beat me to this advice but I agree this is your most likely area of trouble.

Spectral Morn
24-03-2018, 14:18
If the DAC was bought new, then take it back for an exchange sounds faulty to me.

jandl100
24-03-2018, 14:45
"Digital lock" can be a finicky thing. Sometimes it doesn't take much to disrupt it.
It could well be the adapters, especially two of them.

Stratmangler
24-03-2018, 15:07
The dealer had experienced the problem before when the fault was traced to an ethernet cable

Really?
How was the fault diagnosed?
Divining rods?

It sound like a synch lock problem.
The one and only time I had a DAC that did that it was returned pronto.

Spectral Morn
24-03-2018, 15:32
Really?
How was the fault diagnosed?
Divining rods?

It sound like a synch lock problem.
The one and only time I had a DAC that did that it was returned pronto.

Precisely

Whitepeak
24-03-2018, 18:54
I very much appreciate your contributions and especially the kind offer of an optical cable. I won't make a decision on this immediately if you don't mind as I an still hoping to be able to get the coax sorted but if I have to use the optical connection I'll take you up on your offer.

Just to make things clear - I did return the first dac and was sent a replacement and I have had the same problem with the replacement dac. The original dac works fine at the dealers shop and his home. He has experienced the problem before but can't explain it.

The dealer (Ian at Hi Fi corner) is a most helpful and thoroughly decent chap and is doing what he can for me. He has made it clear that if it can't be sorted he will refund in full. He has also offered to loan me a Qutest to see if that works.
I'm away for a week so won't be able to try new cables etc. till I return.

Anthony

jandl100
24-03-2018, 19:01
If you like, you can PM me your name and address and the optical cable will be waiting for you on your return. I'm not using it, it turned out to be too short for me.
Postage cost is minimal and you might find it interesting how good a really good optical cable can sound!
-- make sure that half a metre is long enough, though.

Whitepeak
04-04-2018, 16:24
Hi Jerry

Just to say many thanks for the cable. It looks a lot nicer and is of much better quality than the cable I had been using and the plugs fit well. As to the sound that's difficult to say as I have only had a short listen and to come to some judgement about cables, supports and suchlike usually takes protracted listening. But the initial impression is favourable.

I have had a reply from Chord who put the problem down to 'spikes' on the mains. But this must mean that the simple action of switching something on or off is causing a spike. The house was rewired about 12 years ago so I have no idea what the mechanism might be. I suppose I need to get an electrician in.

I did try a cable without adapters but this didn't help and Ian at HiFi Corner has offered to send another cable to try with a particular shielding arrangement so I may try that.

Once again many thanks for the cable Jerry, much appreciated.

jandl100
05-04-2018, 09:50
No problem, Anthony - I'm sorry to see that the DAC still isn't behaving itself. :(

struth
05-04-2018, 10:45
Inclined to agree that the adaptor could be the issue.. there are various types and sizes and they look much the same. Maybe see if anyone will make a good cable up

Macca
05-04-2018, 10:51

I have had a reply from Chord who put the problem down to 'spikes' on the mains. But this must mean that the simple action of switching something on or off is causing a spike. The house was rewired about 12 years ago so I have no idea what the mechanism might be. I suppose I need to get an electrician in.

That's ludicrous. First of all whatever the problem is that won't be the reason and second I'm surprised that they would admit that their device is prone to 'spikes on the mains' since any competently engineered device will be completely unaffected by whatever 'the mains' is doing.

I'd send it back and buy something from another company, preferably a Japanese company where they know what they are doing.

jandl100
05-04-2018, 14:10
I'd send it back and buy something from another company, preferably a Japanese company where they know what they are doing.

^ I tend to agree - demand a refund, it doesn't seem fit for purpose, does it.

struth
05-04-2018, 14:19
could prove it or not by using a mains filter, but its not really your fault the gear is dodgy to them. ive had loads of dacs and none have done that...sure i will get spikes now and then.

Macca
05-04-2018, 17:10
It's an expensive bit of kit as well. Over a grand. But sorry, it won't work properly if there are spikes on your mains even though you can buy a DAC for ten quid that won't have any issues with the alleged 'spikes'.

Whitepeak
05-04-2018, 20:01
I have tried a cable bnc - rca ie no adapter and the problem persists.
I also have mains filters, passive and inline also a balanced mains unit.
Perhaps I should send it back - trouble is I really like it, it does sound very good.