Not quite as intended but better than nowt

monya
14-03-2010, 18:11
and another. Will quit while I'm ahead

Marco
14-03-2010, 20:40
Bloody hell - Absolute Sounds alert!! :respect:

Nagra > DarTZeel > Magico....

You're not a customer of Pinewood or Guildford Audio by any chance, Robin? :)

Marco.

YNWaN
14-03-2010, 20:48
I am surprised that you are not using a darTZeel pre-amp or a Karan power amp.

Obviously your turntable is hugly underspecified - but I'm sure you know that.

Themis
14-03-2010, 20:53
I like Magico speakers. Nice pics Robin. ;)

Rare Bird
14-03-2010, 20:55
:lolsign: i love the way you casually slipped that lot in..At least your not bragging as a lot do ;)

YNWaN
14-03-2010, 21:04
Have you added up the price of it Andre?

I have to say, so far, I have been somewhat underwhelmed by the various Magico models I have heard.

Marco
14-03-2010, 21:09
Is that a Finite Elemente rack there, too?

Mark, must be around £80k (or so)....

Marco.

Rare Bird
14-03-2010, 21:27
Have you added up the price of it Andre?

I have to say, so far, I have been somewhat underwhelmed by the various Magico models I have heard.

:lolsign: lot of metal there for the cash tho :lol:

monya
14-03-2010, 21:42
I like Magico speakers. Nice pics Robin. ;)

The speakers have always sounded shite at hifi shows despite good reviews. So I had a home demo and they didn't sound so shitty at all :)
A major plus point is that they are not port loaded so no problems with room interactions with port resonance frequencies. Good for me as I used to get a lot of bass spikes

monya
14-03-2010, 21:50
I am surprised that you are not using a darTZeel pre-amp or a Karan power amp.

Obviously your turntable is hugly underspecified - but I'm sure you know that.

Have you seen the price of a darTZeel pre? Makes the power amp seem like a soft touch! BTW, bought the power amp a couple of years back when it was just bloody expensive and not utterly insane like now.
The Karan came later as at first I used the preamp on the nagra direct into the amp which was good but discovered later the value of adding the pre. The Karan is really good VFM and doesn't let the side down.The power amps are just too big to accomodate whereas the dart is a tiddler - although it packs a hell of a punch for a 100 watter.

Themis
14-03-2010, 21:51
The speakers have always sounded shite at hifi shows despite good reviews. So I had a home demo and they didn't sound so shitty at all :)
A major plus point is that they are not port loaded so no problems with room interactions with port resonance frequencies. Good for me as I used to get a lot of bass spikes
That is a very useful explanation, thanks Robin.

It's *very* hard for me to have a proper listen to these speakers and I always wonder why a lot of people didn't like them (on certain forums, at least), as to my own (very short) experience they didn't sound shite at all, rather the contrary even !!!
Up to now I had come to the conclusion that people were simply kind-of jealous about these speakers (a bit because of the price ? Who knows).

But your experience comforts me in my opinion, and gives my some ideas of why others may think otherwise. ;)

Marco
14-03-2010, 22:00
You're not a customer of Pinewood or Guildford Audio by any chance, Robin?

And is that a Finite Elemente rack? :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
14-03-2010, 22:00
Hi Robin

I remember now, you offered to let me come round and have a listen. I had said that I had not heard Dartzeel. Sadly I live to far away to have taken you up on the offer :( at the time or now.

Nice set up.

Regards D S D L

monya
15-03-2010, 09:31
You're not a customer of Pinewood or Guildford Audio by any chance, Robin?

And is that a Finite Elemente rack? :)

Marco.

Yes, Pinewood have been good to me, Brian is a very helpful chap from whom I've aquired the darTZeel and Magicos. The speakers were pure luck - I had phoned him on the offchance having read about the V2's and he had the only pair in the country. Brought them along from his base in Ilchester I think (a long way) and they were great in my smallish room. 2 weeks later I heard them at Whittlebury and, as expected, seemed underpowered for the room size. However, I'd ordered them by then, just before a £500 price rise.

Good observation on the rack - the cdp and pre are also on Stillpoints.

Nagra is imported by RT Services.

MIT come from somewhere else.

Karan is Audiofreaks but I don't have to deal with Branko luckily (few do, I believe)

So I can't be accused of kissing Riccardo's ass :)

Marco
15-03-2010, 10:43
Hi Rob (would you rather be referred to as 'Rob' or 'Robin'?),

Nice one - you've got some very nice kit there indeed. I'd love to hear the DarTZeel, as although it's very expensive, it ticks all the right boxes for me. There's something just so 'right' about Swiss design and engineering :)

I'm glad that the Magicos hit the spot at home, because like you, I was rather under-whelmed by them at Whittlebury Hall, although of course one can never form definitive opinions at shows.

Perhaps you could bring the DarTZeel to the next bake-off at Martin T's in Basingstoke, which will perhaps be sometime in the summer (I'll need to ask Martin first! :eyebrows:), if that's not too far away for you?

Shuggie and Snoopdog, who also live in the area, will likely tag along too, so it could make for an interesting sesh :cool:

Marco.

monya
15-03-2010, 11:16
Robin is fine for me Marco. Guess Wrexham is slightly out the way from N. London so won't expect a home visit anytime soon!
Wonder if anybody does live hereabouts? Or going to the Heathrow show?

Robin

Marco
15-03-2010, 16:08
Hi Robin,

See this thread: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5652 :)

I do get down to London now and then, so I'm sure we could hook up at some point :cool:

Marco.

P.S Your name's now on your signature, and so will appear automatically with every post, thus saving you from manually typing it in.

twelvebears
15-03-2010, 20:19
Robin is fine for me Marco. Guess Wrexham is slightly out the way from N. London so won't expect a home visit anytime soon!
Wonder if anybody does live hereabouts? Or going to the Heathrow show?

Robin

Hi Robin

I'm in Hemel Hempstead just of J8 of the M1 and know N. London pretty well as friend's live in Golders Green.

Always up for meeting other AOSers.

Primalsea
15-03-2010, 20:26
............... they didn't sound shite at all, rather the contrary even !!!

Hi Dimitri, are you actually French or a Brit living in France? I was somewhat shocked to the that the hairy arsed blokes on this forum have managed to get a Frenchman to use slang like "Shite". Whatever next. :)

The Grand Wazoo
15-03-2010, 20:31
Hi Dimitri, are you actually French or a Brit living in France? I was somewhat shocked to the that the hairy arsed blokes on this forum have managed to get a Frenchman to use slang like "Shite". Whatever next. :)

hahaha............it's even more incredible than that!
I'll let Dimitri tell you though!

Themis
16-03-2010, 20:18
I'm a Greek living in France, in fact. :o

But when I met with my first (French) wife, we had only Russian and English languages in common, so, English was the language we used for the 7-year period prior to our separation. All this a couple of decades ago. Meanwhile, I'm trying to write as *naturally* as possible. Slang included. At least I try... :o

Alex_UK
16-03-2010, 20:31
try? TRY! - you speak better English, (slang included) than most of us put together! It is shameful really how bad the British are at learning foreign languages - if you don't understand our English we speak slower, if that doesn't work we speak slower and LOUDER before resorting to waving our arms around like lunatics as well... ;) Most of us think if we meet a bilingual girl we are hoping for a threesome... :lol:

Themis
16-03-2010, 20:45
:lolsign: To me you all speak (and write) perfectly well. Well, I have some difficulties with hamish, to be honest, but it's getting easier to read him every day. ;)
Well, I think French are *much* worse than British regarding foreign languages...

DSJR
16-03-2010, 21:01
You ought to hear the abusive put-downs of learning a second language in the French group I sometimes supervise.............

Primalsea
17-03-2010, 07:46
All I can say is thank god we haven't resorted to txt spk on here. U no its just banging wen u r trying to read it. Its OK when wiv ur m8's but I h8 it.

Light Capture
23-03-2010, 21:36
Monya,
I don't know which I like better the Ekornes "Stressless" recliners or the darTZeel power amp. OK OK the power amp. :stalks: