PDA

View Full Version : Goraman system pics 03/13/10

goraman
13-03-2010, 18:55
My ever changeing stereo.

goraman
13-03-2010, 19:03
System cont...

As you can see my son has taken over the room.
Everything needs a little dusting off but getting into the babey gate is a pain and my son has taken all my time when I'm not working on my taxes.

Themis
13-03-2010, 19:36
I love the looks of this Manley amp !!! :stalks:

Nice pics, Jeff. Thanks a lot. :)

goraman
13-03-2010, 19:39
If you look closely at the rear tranny, Evana sighned it after hand selecting it for me.
She's a real Sweetheart.
I would love to get her 300B neo classic preamp and her Snapper monos and give this set to my son in a few years or mabey less.

Themis
13-03-2010, 20:25
You're a lucky man. :)

I never listened to the Neo Classic pre or the Snappers. But I guess they are like all Evanna's creations. ;)

Rare Bird
13-03-2010, 20:40
nice Teac X3, i actually bid for an X10R last week but got crucified

Spectral Morn
13-03-2010, 20:54
Nice set up. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
13-03-2010, 22:03
Jeff,

I love how you've got your system set up so you can enjoy it and do baby duties at the same time! My kids are almost old enough (4 and 2¾) to not need stair-gates and whatever, but there's still one at the bottom of the stairs to my room to ensure my kit doesn't get poked and played with!

Also nice to see you have a reel to reel. There's a growing number of members on AOS that have been bitten by the tape bug. The Teac looks like an interesting machine. Small, but built for serious use. Do you use it a lot? What's your favourite tape brand?

Anyway, your dedicated ground and approach to source isolation will go down well with some round here! Nice system, thanks for sharing it!

Rare Bird
14-03-2010, 11:38
The Teac looks like an interesting machine. Small, but built for serious use.

Nick that 'X3' came out at the begining of the '80s.It's a 3 Head/4 Track machine, the smaller brother to the 'X7' which is the smaller bro to the 'X10' these latter two machines had a 3 Head & 6 Head version, the 'R' denoted 6 Head..'X10' was a 10.5" machine.Optional wooden cases were available, i think they look lost with out them tbh.

Don't get this model mixed up with the likes of the X300 even tho it's looks very simular.AlSO there is an X20 it has a different colour scheme tho.

http://www.audiosurvivors.nl/popups/Reparatie%20in%20opdracht/Je%20eigen%20apparaat%20weer%20in%20orde%202008/IMG_4301.JPG

goraman
14-03-2010, 17:56
Nick that 'X3' came out at the begining of the '80s.It's a 3 Head/4 Track machine, the smaller brother to the 'X7' which is the smaller bro to the 'X10' these latter two machines had a 3 Head & 6 Head version, the 'R' denoted 6 Head..'X10' was a 10.5" machine.Optional wooden cases were available, i think they look lost with out them tbh.

Don't get this model mixed up with the likes of the X300 even tho it's looks very simular.AlSO there is an X20 it has a different colour scheme tho.

http://www.audiosurvivors.nl/popups/Reparatie%20in%20opdracht/Je%20eigen%20apparaat%20weer%20in%20orde%202008/IMG_4301.JPG

The X3 was Teac's lowest price X modle RTR.
20 years ago I had a Realistic RTR made by Teac in the early 70's and a Chevy S10 pick up load of Tapes I wish I hadn't taken to the dump.

The thing was just worn out and at the time I seemed to be the last guy in the world still rolling open reels.

I was taking to a good freind of mine who has been collecting audio stuff for more than 40 years and he brought this RTR to my house and asked me if I wanted to give it a home since he has a house stacked to the ceiling with gear I've only read about,some of it in boxes.

This player still had all the plastic on it and paper work but needed belts just from sitting.So after a good cleanning and belts it runs great but still I have no tapes so it is not in use just now.As I just got it 2 weeks ago.
BTW there is also an X1000R and X2000R. My freind john has more than one of both. 15 years ago they where in goodwills,estate sales and garage sales for a whopping $20.00 to $50.00 all day long but no one wanted them,but John! so he stocked up alot.
This guy has loads of high end new gear too like both the Audio Valve Conductor preamp and the Eclipse preamp and the matching phono stage, Zingalli speakers, Audion Golden Dream 300B SET monos and Walcott's big monster amps for his big Sound Lab pannels.
He is absolutly crazy about audio stuff and has no wife to stop him.

I would kill for eather one of my freind Jhon's stereo's he some what has set up.

His gear reads like a copy of Stereophile.

Any way I just passingly said I wish I'd kept my old RTR and my buddy hooked me up.
I'm not sure how much I want to put into tapes but it sure brings back a flood of memories.
My favorite tape of the day was Amprex.It was a little thicker and didn't streach or break easy.

John is older and never used a computer,I am trying to get him to buy a lap top as he would be a fun member for AOS.
Just the pics of old gear alone could be fun to see.

Just lately he has been talking about selling some of it,I'm not sure he actualy will. But he sure could use the space there is so much he has stuff stored at his freinds and kids houses too.At some point it just becomes to much.

Alex_UK
16-03-2010, 22:11
I have joked about putting my gear in a playpen, but see you actually did! ;)

I leave the speaker grills on when my Avatar is around. Sometimes if she has been out when she comes in I realise they are off, and rush round to put them on. The last couple of times, she has rushed to try and help put them back! Bless! Then one day last week she realised if she can put them on... :eek: Luckily, the tweeter eventually got its shape back, and I can't hear any deterioration, so I think I got away with it - this time... (she's already killed a bass driver)

Anyway Jeff, great system, and keep it caged! ;)

twelvebears
17-03-2010, 07:27
Hi Jeff.

I think I can safely say that you display the kind of unhealthy obsession (valves with play-pen protection plus use of "what are those for?" paving slabs) which guarantees that you will fit right in on AOS....

Welcome!!

goraman
18-03-2010, 02:27
Hi Jeff.

I think I can safely say that you display the kind of unhealthy obsession (valves with play-pen protection plus use of "what are those for?" paving slabs) which guarantees that you will fit right in on AOS....

Welcome!!
The Rack is lead shot filled and so are the speaker stands.The The turntable has a 50 pond slab of granite to act as a 3rd plinth so it mad sence to add 180 extra pounds to the bottem of the rack with large 2 pavers.
Thank you, for noticeing.It never hurts to add mass to the rack.

goraman
13-09-2010, 06:01
Soon all this will be radicly changeing!
I am giveing up all the analoge to a music server,everything will sit under the T.V.

DSJR
13-09-2010, 09:06
I dunno, taking the speaker grilles off to play music ain't going to transform a sow's ear into a silk purse you know and SOME speakers are voiced with grilles in place!!!

Alex, time to upgrade to some Harbeths I think. The little P3ESR's will delight and surprise you I think and the tweeter is protected too...

goraman
31-10-2010, 20:41
Big changes from a mostly analoge to an exclusivly digital systum,I am dismantaling my rack and downsizeing to digital files with no media storage.

I am still waiting for my stand alone DAC to arrive but hear it is so far.

After the Turntable ,phono stage,Rack and mabey the CDP is sold not to mention the R2R the shelves of 1000lp's ect..
We will add a couch and coffie table.

I'm a little sad but it's time to simplify and move on.Nothing is placed percactly yet,the speakers have to be repositioned but it's not all finnished yet.

Macca
31-10-2010, 22:54
Lots of people on here seem to be going over to computer audio - is it really the future?

Alex - I don't want to disillusion you but I don't think the 'Woolwich' exists any more:(

goraman
31-10-2010, 23:20
Lots of people on here seem to be going over to computer audio - is it really the future?

Alex - I don't want to disillusion you but I don't think the 'Woolwich' exists any more:(

Well, it's my future.
The true and soon to be time tested fact is...
Once it is all loaded and running it is as good as your CD's in a high end player.

No more sorting through racks of media looking for the CD of LP that was not put back in it's place.

No more weekend librarian duties to keep it all alphabetized.
No more record cleanning fluids,brushes,washers or Zerostate guns or cleanning the styles,guages or scales,cracked CD covers,or buying plastic lp jackets and static proof sleeves,less componates and less worry about isolators and lead shot filled audio racks ect...

No more shelves of CD's and LP's .
Turn on your amp,server and DAC and your there sit down and click the album,artist or song you want and organize by alhp,artist,genres all at the click of a button in full high reselution even with album art displayed in 1080 HD.

No more dusting off so much stuff either,in my case it is well worth it brother!

Rare Bird
31-10-2010, 23:27
No Jeff don't do it, your killing your hobby in reality..Isnt it part of the fun hunting through your collection, manually putting the disc in the machine etc...If not just tel me to get lost & shurrup ;)

Macca
31-10-2010, 23:29
Jeff - i've seriously considered it myself as wqhen you weigh it up, practically, financially, it does make total sense.

But never being able to play my original vinyl Led Zep 2 bought at college 1987 £4.00 ? - I can't do it mate, I really can't. Its an intangible, I know but the older I get the more I realise its the intangible stuff that matters... I've got a record cleaning machine and a new TT in my future:)

goraman
31-10-2010, 23:41
Macca,I have the first album I ever bought,I was very little in 71-72 mabey 5 or 6 but I loved the Kinks and my mom gave me the money to by THE KINKS GREATEST HITS IN MONO

I wrote my name on the jacket when I was 10 or 12 and not long after that moved from my fathers house leaveing everything but 2 bags of cloths.

When I was 35 I was looking in the local Esoteric record store in the rare viynal section when I saw it.Cost me pleanty I'll tell you but I had to have it and one other my brothers Jimi Hendrix (are you experianced )LP with his name on it.
When my father died my step mothers son sold off alot of what was left from all my fathers kids includeing me.

And yes even that album that means alot to me is going byby,It isen't easy but our condo is not huge and it's time to let go of so much baggage from the past.

I will still enjoy the Kinks and remember my old album but I don't need it's phycical presants to relive memorys of better days when all my family was alive and I the babey was discovering a brand new world filled with music and beliveing my parents would live forever.

goraman
31-10-2010, 23:46
No Jeff don't do it, your killing your hobby in reality..Isnt it part of the fun hunting through your collection, manually putting the disc in the machine etc...If not just tel me to get lost & shurrup ;)

Not so much my new hobbie is changeing diapers and reading to my 15 month old,I would really rather have less stuff,more time and more seating than just 2 theator recliners with the left wall full of CD's and the right one full of LP's and so much support crap.

Macca
31-10-2010, 23:51
Jeff you are right physical possesions mean nothing except for their practical use. I've lived my whole life that way but my records - I've considered it long and hard and I just don't want to give them up even if there is something better. People still buy, collect and play shellac 78s, 8 tracks, reel to reel. It's all valid. Self indulgent maybe, but WTF?;)

goraman
31-10-2010, 23:59
Jeff you are right physical possesions mean nothing except for their practical use. I've lived my whole life that way but my records - I've considered it long and hard and I just don't want to give them up even if there is something better. People still buy, collect and play shellac 78s, 8 tracks, reel to reel. It's all valid. Self indulgent maybe, but WTF?;)

My main reason is lack of space,familys needs vs. my crap= family wins out.
If you have no real storage issues ENJOY!
Nothing wrong with music stuff of any kind.

For me it has just become an overwhelming lot to care for and takes up to much of our small home.

Alex_UK
01-11-2010, 00:00

(Thanks Martin - I've been wondering for ages where all my money went, and now I know! The anarchist in me loves the fact that as I am changing my "name" regularly threads will be littered with nonsense that would have only made sense if you were there at the "time and the place." Umm, and that would be different how, to the usual nonsense that I litter these threads with? :scratch: :lol:)

B.O.T. - I couldn't do it - I just couldn't - unless I absolutely had to, but utmost respect to Jeff for getting his priorities right - in his situation it is admirable that he is making personal sacrifices for the good of the family, and when all is said and done, flesh and bone is much more important than black plastic or silver plastic...

Macca
01-11-2010, 00:24
B.O.T. - I couldn't do it - I just couldn't - unless I absolutely had to, but utmost respect to Jeff for getting his priorities right - in his situation it is admirable that he is making personal sacrifices for the good of the family, and when all is said and done, flesh and bone is much more important than black plastic or silver plastic...

Good point - I don't live in the real world when it comes to kids - my brother has a 1 year old - fantastic kid but I would struggle to put in the time and attention he has to. My place is probably nor much bigger than Jeff's condo but there is only me so I can have amps and speakers and whatever else strewn across the floor if I want. And I do:)