PDA

View Full Version : Using external DAC with Meridian?

da2222
18-03-2018, 12:47
Hi

Unsurprisingly, my new (old!!) Meridian 596 player is significantly inferior soundwise to my Lector CDP7. My question is, could I realistically improve performance with an external DAC instead of moving it on? If so, any recommendations for dynamic sounding unit, yet as analogue as possible? Thanks

walpurgis
18-03-2018, 13:54
I'd assume the 596 is not too different to my 507 and that makes an excellent transport. I've found a decent external DAC is definitely a step up in sound quality. I use a Monarchy Audio M22b or M22c, both unavailable new now, but very fine sounding. Some of the old Theta DACs work nicely too.

slaba
18-03-2018, 14:34
While the Meridian 2 and 5 series used excellent cd mechs (philips CDM I think) the 596 is a different animal fitted with a dvd rom drive, worth a try for a possible nice surprise but I wouldn't bet too much on it to make a great transport. As to analogue sounding dacs Audio Gd makes excellent ones and are great value imho.

da2222
18-03-2018, 14:36
Thanks Geoff...Allegedly the 596 is up there with the 508.24 in terms of sound quality but I haven't heard the latter so can't comment. it's clear however that low end and soundstage are way off the Lector's, so I'd be hopeful to improve in those areas. Very interested indeed in the M22C- great reviews but can't seem to find a used one anywhere. Will keep my eyes peeled...

walpurgis
18-03-2018, 14:41
Very interested indeed in the M22C- great reviews but can't seem to find a used one anywhere. Will keep my eyes peeled...

They are few and far between. The M22b sounds just as good by the way.