PDA

View Full Version : Sme 3009 tonearm too much mass for Thorens td150?

Simon75
17-03-2018, 14:14
I've just had my thorens td150 serviced. The chap did quite a bit of work on it for a fair price. It's sounding noticeably better than previously. What I did find interesting is that I was advised that the sme 3009 (non improved) tonearm has too much mass for the turntable. I had previously been under the impression that the sme30009 was very suitable for a thorens td150. I actually have the orginal printed instructions for the tonearm being fitted to the thorens so it seems to have been a commom choice back when they were originally made. I have read a little bit elsewhere about too much cable effecting the suspension but little else. Any other views out there?

walpurgis
17-03-2018, 14:32
Have you not considered servicing it yourself? They are pretty simple devices. I wouldn't be happy paying to have somebody work on something so easy to sort out.

The SME should be OK on the deck. After all, Thorens sold them with an SME cutout on the armboard, so they must have been happy with the idea. It used to be quite a common combination.

Yes, you should keep an eye on cable 'dressing'. It can affect the suspension freedom of movement if care is not taken.

struth
17-03-2018, 15:21
Used an improved on my 160. Was great

homespun
17-03-2018, 15:37
Like wise, I had a SME 3009 on my TD160 fitted with the Thorens supplied mounting board, great combination. Just spend a bit of time carefully setting up the arm. There were suspension chassis modification kits available years ago for the TD range which made a big difference, I doubt they are available today?

amati74(Artur)
17-03-2018, 15:40
Like wise, I had a SME 3009 on my TD160 fitted with the Thorens supplied mounting board, great combination. Just spend a bit of time carefully setting up the arm. There were suspension chassis modification kits available years ago for the TD range which made a big difference, I doubt they are available today?Could you tell me more about chassis modyfication suspension kit please

Simon75
17-03-2018, 15:42
Have you not considered servicing it yourself? They are pretty simple devices. I wouldn't be happy paying to have somebody work on something so easy to sort out.

The SME should be OK on the deck. After all, Thorens sold them with an SME cutout on the armboard, so they must have been happy with the idea. It used to be quite a common combination.

Yes, you should keep an eye on cable 'dressing'. It can affect the suspension freedom of movement if care is not taken.

Yeah I did consider servicing myself but it was needing more than a straight forward servicing. It wasnt earthed, the suspension wasnt right, the cartridge alignment wasnt 100%.
With pets, toddler and lack of space/time it wasnt really an option. The issues are sorted now. Was just suprised when I was advised it wasnt the right tonearm for the table. Sounding great at the moment.

Simon75
17-03-2018, 16:30
Like wise, I had a SME 3009 on my TD160 fitted with the Thorens supplied mounting board, great combination. Just spend a bit of time carefully setting up the arm. There were suspension chassis modification kits available years ago for the TD range which made a big difference, I doubt they are available today?

Thats interesting. Thats one of the things that was an issue with my td150, the suspension wasnt set properly for the sme.

hifi_dave
17-03-2018, 16:47
Late last year I serviced and set up a TD150 with SME 3009 Imp and had no issues at all. Back in the day, it was pretty well the go-to arm for a TD150.

Barry
17-03-2018, 18:18
I assume the SME arm has been modified to have a horizontal cable entry? Otherwise it is unlikely that you will be able to dress the cable so as not to have a detrimental effect on the suspension.

Also the dead weight of the SME 3009 (non-improved) is heavier than the standard Thorens TP-13 arm, so the deck suspension will have to be adjusted.

If you do that, then as others have reported, you can use an SME 3009 successfully with the Thorens TD150. I did.

walpurgis
17-03-2018, 18:25
I assume the SME arm has been modified to have a horizontal cable entry? Otherwise it is unlikely that you will be able to dress the cable so as not to have a detrimental effect on the suspension.

I fitted a Decca International arm to my first TD150. It was the original version with the long stem housing the opposing magnets and needed around 100mm clear space below the arm board. I built a tall plinth housing or surround that the original plinth could drop into, providing clearance for the arm cable. Problem solved.

Barry
17-03-2018, 18:52
I fitted a Decca International arm to my first TD150. It was the original version with the long stem housing the opposing magnets and needed around 100mm clear space below the arm board. I built a tall plinth housing or surround that the original plinth could drop into, providing clearance for the arm cable. Problem solved.

I was assuming the OP was using a Thorens 150 with an unmodified shallow plinth. It was because people wanted to fit SME arms to their Thorens 150 or ERA TTs with shallow plinths that SME came up with the option to have a horizontally mounted socket at the base of the arm. Such arms were designated as "SME 3009/S2 HE".

walpurgis
17-03-2018, 19:28
I was assuming the OP was using a Thorens 150 with an unmodified shallow plinth.

I was merely saying what I had done. Not suggesting that it would be necessary in other situations, but I guess it could be helpful.

Simon75
17-03-2018, 20:22
I was merely saying what I had done. Not suggesting that it would be necessary in other situations, but I guess it could be helpful.

Yeah the plinth was too shallow for the tonearm so it needed modified, the suspension is now what it should be. It was bought from ebay almost three years ago and I knew the suspension wasnt right straight away.The lesson is not to impulse buy from ebay unless you really know your stuff.That said its now sorted so should be good for few years. The tonearm could do with a rewire but it's not too urgent. It just threw me when it was said it had too much mass, when really the plinth was just too shallow. The plinth is not the orginal, its a replinth by the ebay seller. Looks good but wasnt intended for the sme tonearm really.

walpurgis
17-03-2018, 20:27
You could consider tallish feet on the bottom to give the arm cable a bit more leeway.

Simon75
17-03-2018, 20:53
You could consider tallish feet on the bottom to give the arm cable a bit more leeway.

Yeah that's exactly what has been done, seems to have done the trick.

GrahamS
17-03-2018, 22:26
The TD150/160 and the SME 3009 are perfectly suited, provided the arm is installed correctly and a suitable cartridge is used. They were standard kit in all of the studios that I worked in as well as in the QC department.

amati74(Artur)
17-03-2018, 23:21
The TD150/160 and the SME 3009 are perfectly suited, provided the arm is installed correctly and a suitable cartridge is used. They were standard kit in all of the studios that I worked in as well as in the QC department.What cartridge will be suitable?

Simon75
18-03-2018, 12:12
The TD150/160 and the SME 3009 are perfectly suited, provided the arm is installed correctly and a suitable cartridge is used. They were standard kit in all of the studios that I worked in as well as in the QC department.

That's what I like to hear! Was kind of studios did you work in? I've got it paired with a shure m55e and its sounding good.

walpurgis
18-03-2018, 13:33
The M55E is a pretty decent match to the SME, assuming of course that it's on an original stylus or one of original compliance.

Simon75
18-03-2018, 13:36
The M55E is a pretty decent match to the SME, assuming of course that it's on an original stylus or one of original compliance.
It's got a new jico stylus and it's working a treat.

Barry
18-03-2018, 14:21

It's a perfect match, as is the V15 III. SME would often advertise their arm, showing it fitted with an M55E cartridge. One of the reasons why I quickly ditched the M3D for the M55E.

GrahamS
18-03-2018, 21:50
What cartridge will be suitable? . Shure M97xE or Ortofon M2-Blue or Audio Technica VM530EN

GrahamS
18-03-2018, 22:00
That's what I like to hear! Was kind of studios did you work in? I've got it paired with a shure m55e and its sounding good.
I managed three recording studios each with 48 channel desks, 24 track 2 inch Studer A80 RR recorders, Studer A807 1/2 inch 4 track and 1/4 inch 2 track machines and a record pressing plant and musicassette factory.