PDA

View Full Version : wam show 2018

hifinutt
14-03-2018, 21:20
is there a thread on this somewhere , i can`t find it . anyway 2 days to go till kegworth . anyone going . looking forward to nsm jantzens and the audionote an-e`s if i can get away to this from commitments

https://thehifishow.com/

ijrussell
14-03-2018, 21:54
The show itself is only on Sunday 18th.

ovlov854
15-03-2018, 01:53
Just up the road now.....I'll be there probably droolin'

Crackles
15-03-2018, 06:23
Really glad I spotted this - I thought it was next weekend! I would have missed it so cheers for the reminder.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

George47
15-03-2018, 09:54
See you there Phil. Need to tap your experience of the Tannoys.

Lawrence001
15-03-2018, 10:04
I'm thinking about going just need to work out the logistics of public transport.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Bourney
15-03-2018, 10:39
I'll be going :)

Floyddroid
15-03-2018, 18:30
Where's Kegworth like?

Floyddroid
15-03-2018, 18:33
Are there many people from AOS Going?

Macca
15-03-2018, 18:35
Where's Kegworth like?

Right by East Midland's Airport, Steve.

Marco
15-03-2018, 18:40
Where's Kegworth like?

Leicestershire, daftee. it's a 'wee drive' from where you are:eyebrows:

80-odd miles from me, but I gave up going to commercial hi-fi shows quite a while ago. The only one I'm inclined to haul my ass along to now is Cranage, as it's local and has free entry and parking in the hotel grounds.

ZERO stress or hassle, just what I like! :cool:

Marco.

Macca
15-03-2018, 19:06
It's pretty much all just enthusiast's systems, Marco.

Beobloke
15-03-2018, 19:06
Leicestershire, daftee. it's a 'wee drive' from where you are:eyebrows:

80-odd miles from me, but I gave up going to commercial hi-fi shows quite a while ago. The only one I'm inclined to haul my ass along to now is Cranage, as it's local and has free entry and parking in the hotel grounds.

ZERO stress or hassle, just what I like! :cool:

Marco.

Marco - this is the new incarnation of the 'Wam Scalford Hall show - it's not commercial, apart from a couple of traders to help support things.

I'll be there - Mrs. B and I are making a weekend of it and staying in a rather nice country house hotel near Derby.

Marco
15-03-2018, 19:09
Ah ok, I heard it had gone all commercial now. Fair enough. They're not still doing bus runs to car parks, are they? That was a freaking nightmare at Scalford.

Hey Adam, sounds great - a man after my own heart, who enjoys the finer things in life! Got a link? :)

Marco.

YNWaN
15-03-2018, 19:33
I got the bus at Scalford the last time I went and it couldn’t have been easier!

I’m giving the new Wan show a chance and will be there on Sunday with a couple of mates. Cranage is the other show I like and I’ll definately be going to it again this year.

Beobloke
15-03-2018, 22:05
Ah ok, I heard it had gone all commercial now. Fair enough. They're not still doing bus runs to car parks, are they? That was a freaking nightmare at Scalford.

Hey Adam, sounds great - a man after my own heart, who enjoys the finer things in life! Got a link? :)

Marco.

Nope - car parking right outside!

Hotel is Breadsall Priory: https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/emags-breadsall-priory-marriott-hotel-and-country-club/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marco
15-03-2018, 22:09
I got the bus at Scalford the last time I went and it couldn’t have been easier!

Not as easy, Mark, as leaving your car right outside in the hotel car park, yards from the entrance! These days, if I can't do that, then I don't go to shows, as I can't be doing with the hassle. That's why I like Cranage - and the parking and entrance fee is FREE...

It's mainly because if I buy a load of records, as is always the case [and sometimes other stuff, such as cables or accessories], I don't want to be shlepping it all round the show, with the potential of leaving the bags down in a room somewhere and forgetting them.

I want to be able to buy stuff, then nick out quickly to my car (which is parked just outside), put the stuff in the boot and then go back in and enjoy the show, unencumbered by any baggage :)

You can't do that conveniently if you've got to wait for a bloody bus to get to and from your car, and then back to the show! It's one of the main reasons why I gave up going to Bristol, simply because parking is such a royal nightmare:eek: I like things to be convenient and easy - and stress free. Otherwise I won't enjoy myself.

Anyway, I hope that everyone who goes to the new Wam show has a great time - and also takes some pics for the forum! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
15-03-2018, 22:12
Nope - car parking right outside!

Hotel is Breadsall Priory: https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/emags-breadsall-priory-marriott-hotel-and-country-club/

Excellent. It's the only way to do it right.

Hotel looks nice, Adam. Hope you guys have a great time! :cool:

Marco.

hifinutt
15-03-2018, 22:49

hope to be there and will catch up

montesquieu
15-03-2018, 23:00

Happy to talk Tannoys any time George you are only up the road!

Audio Al
16-03-2018, 06:02
Im not going this year , for me I think its lost it way with the new owner , just my opinion :(

YNWaN
16-03-2018, 07:00
I understand, but at the same time you don’t really know unless you give it a chance; I always found the show was very different to the forum.

SPS
16-03-2018, 07:42
Are there many people from AOS Going?

I've got a room again Steve. Looking forwards to it.. did a bit more fine tuning to my ported baffles ready for the show. I'm Really pleased with the sound now... hope every one who visits agrees..?
Be good to see you if you go

oldius
16-03-2018, 07:50
Im in 191 with my Technics SH-X1000 DAC, Lentek amp and NS1000M speakers. I'm looking forward to it.

ff1d1l
16-03-2018, 14:10
Room 8, with a pile of stuff including Silver traffo pre, Luxkit z504, Trichord Pulsar and Urei 811A speakers + subs too.

The Ureis, for those who don't know them, are a 16" dual concentric based design widely used in studios in the 70s and 80s. Anyone into Tannoys needs to hear these!

Ah well, back to packing the car...

paulf-2007
16-03-2018, 20:05
Im not going this year , for me I think its lost it way with the new owner , just my opinion :(
Me too, have no interest in the wam whatsoever since it became a money making thing.

George47
16-03-2018, 21:15
I am looking forward to this especially as it is a Back to Basics type Show. The ususal number of rooms with enthusiasts' systems, and some really interesting sytems, with a smattering of companies mostly focused on accessories and music. New hotel (with food at a discount rate) and an easier to understand layout for the rooms. And of course a great bunch of guys. Will be really interested in those speakers. See you there....

Bazil
16-03-2018, 21:23
Also looking forward to this , as George says very much back to a no'frills enthusiasts show , trade selling records and accessories .

Lawrence001
16-03-2018, 22:33
Hoping to go as long as the trains run, if these snowstorms arrive who knows..

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Crackles
17-03-2018, 15:12
Im in 191 with my Technics SH-X1000 DAC, Lentek amp and NS1000M speakers. I'm looking forward to it.Will pop in and say hello

hifinutt
17-03-2018, 19:18
some lovely pics here but weather looking ominous , wish i still had my snow tyres on the car !!!!

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/127517-who%E2%80%99s-looking-forward-to-kegworth/?page=9&tab=comments#comment-2240292

fatmarley
18-03-2018, 11:15
Just looked over at hifiwigwam and unfortunately quite a few people can't make it because of the snow :(

Floyddroid
18-03-2018, 11:17
I've got a room again Steve. Looking forwards to it.. did a bit more fine tuning to my ported baffles ready for the show. I'm Really pleased with the sound now... hope every one who visits agrees..?
Be good to see you if you go

I always love listening to your kit Steve. It's like taking a veil off the recordings. Have a great day (or two).

Primalsea
18-03-2018, 11:23
I was all set to come as it has been a while, the last time I attended it was the very first show. Unfortunately Kerri has pneumonia, so have to stay at home on nurse duties.

Crackles
18-03-2018, 11:52
I got here fine but it does seem fairly quiet compared to Scalford. Must be the snow.

speedracer
18-03-2018, 13:36
Yes the weather has put paid to me travelling up too, very disappointing. I made a similar journey during the first wave of the Beast from the East, got stuck in Rochdale, travelling 200 yards in 9 hours, unable to make my destination so decided to turn back to home, only to find part of the M40 closed, the A34 closed & the A31 closed, so I wasn't able to get anywhere near home. In the end I had to drive away from home towards London, & then Brighton, as the roads there were better, & managed to get in touch with a friendly 'Wammer near Brighton who put me up until I could get home. I got to his at 4.30am on Friday after leaving home at 8am Thursday, without getting anywhere near my destination of Sheffield. A small, light rear wheel drive two seater convertible isn't the best vehicle to spend a lot of time in or to try & tackle treacherous conditions, I have found!

The forecast for today is that bad weather will set in again later here, & coupled with freezing conditions I had the real prospect of not being able to get home again later, so this time I chose discretion over valour.

Marco
18-03-2018, 14:04
Yup... If in doubt about the weather, folks, simply stay at home - and stay SAFE... No hi-fi show is worth potentially being trapped in the snow for!!:nono:

Marco.

Mike Reed
18-03-2018, 15:21
Why on Earth they keep having it in March I don't know. Think it might have been late Feb. a few years back. On my very first visit about 5 or 6 years ago I hit a snowstorm on my return, still 50 miles away from home; that was very tricky. I believe a few of my local lads either went yesterday (setting up) or today. I'm interested in the comparison of venues, as I liked Scalford, where getting lost in and between its designated audio rooms turned into an art form.

paulf-2007
18-03-2018, 16:47
Going on what pics have been posted on the wam so far, whoever didn't make it didn't miss much.

User211
18-03-2018, 17:39
Going on what pics have been posted on the wam so far, whoever didn't make it didn't miss much.All the good kit was owned by the AA crew in the past - note their absence.

speedracer
18-03-2018, 17:55
Going on what pics have been posted on the wam so far, whoever didn't make it didn't miss much.

A little early to be making that sort of comment, and somewhat whiffs like you are pleased about it. I would have loved to have been able to make it and know of a few systems that were almost worth the ticket price on their own.

To User211, all the good kit was owned by the AA crowd? Really? Not one system worthy enough for you to listen to from the many exhibitors? Blimey.

User211
18-03-2018, 18:17
A little early to be making that sort of comment, and somewhat whiffs like you are pleased about it. I would have loved to have been able to make it and know of a few systems that were almost worth the ticket price on their own.

To User211, all the good kit was owned by the AA crowd? Really? Not one system worthy enough for you to listen to from the many exhibitors? Blimey.Did I say that?

I still stand by my statement, though, when I looked at the spreadsheet a few weeks back. Not saying there wouldn't be some good systems, but generally the fact they aren't there is a loss for the event. Sad, but true.

yolakim
18-03-2018, 18:24
Not long got back and it was my first WAM show, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I really enjoyed it.

It did seem quiet, so I think the weather had an impact and unfortunately I think a couple of rooms were not running becuase the people couldn't get in.

Highlights for me:
The Audio Note system
NonSmokingMan: had a Thorens with a Wilson Benesch arm and mono Deca London Gold and Jantzen speakers - really impressed
SCIDB: Avid Acutus, SME V, Audio Innovations phono, Marantz PM4, Snell J/II - very musical set up
Fourlegs: Chord - Pass Labs - modified Dali 104s

but I spent over 4 hours there and could easily have visitied more.

Crackles
18-03-2018, 18:27
I went and I enjoyed it. The venue is more accessible than Scalford but not as big and doesn't have as much character. The rooms were over three floors which made them easier to find but the gear on show maybe wasn't as extravagant as when I last went. Heard a couple of amazing systems though and learned a few things.

Spent a fortune with MCRU as well. [emoji849]

Crackles
18-03-2018, 18:29
Did I say that?

I still stand by my statement, though, when I looked at the spreadsheet a few weeks back. Not saying there wouldn't be some good systems, but generally the fact they aren't there is a loss for the event. Sad, but true.Who are the AA crowd?

jandl100
18-03-2018, 18:39
Who are the AA crowd?

The Wigwam forum schismed when the current owner came along, and a whole bunch of "interesting" folk set up their own forum, initials AA.

-- actually, it's a bit more complicated that that, but you get the idea.

Spectral Morn
18-03-2018, 18:57
Please keep the thread on topic, re the WAM show, not WAM forum past dramas.

hifinutt
18-03-2018, 18:58
Yes the weather has put paid to me travelling up too, very disappointing. I made a similar journey during the first wave of the Beast from the East, got stuck in Rochdale, travelling 200 yards in 9 hours, unable to make my destination so decided to turn back to home, only to find part of the M40 closed, the A34 closed & the A31 closed, so I wasn't able to get anywhere near home. In the end I had to drive away from home towards London, & then Brighton, as the roads there were better, & managed to get in touch with a friendly 'Wammer near Brighton who put me up until I could get home. I got to his at 4.30am on Friday after leaving home at 8am Thursday, without getting anywhere near my destination of Sheffield. A small, light rear wheel drive two seater convertible isn't the best vehicle to spend a lot of time in or to try & tackle treacherous conditions, I have found!

The forecast for today is that bad weather will set in again later here, & coupled with freezing conditions I had the real prospect of not being able to get home again later, so this time I chose discretion over valour.

i was gutted to miss it , been to every one since it started . snow was bad here and my car is not good in snow sadly

hifinutt
18-03-2018, 19:01
All the good kit was owned by the AA crew in the past - note their absence.

some of the AA were planning to go even if not exhibiting . there is a lively positive thread on audioabbattoir about kegworth

hifinutt
18-03-2018, 19:03
Not long got back and it was my first WAM show, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I really enjoyed it.

It did seem quiet, so I think the weather had an impact and unfortunately I think a couple of rooms were not running becuase the people couldn't get in.

Highlights for me:
The Audio Note system
NonSmokingMan: had a Thorens with a Wilson Benesch arm and mono Deca London Gold and Jantzen speakers - really impressed
SCIDB: Avid Acutus, SME V, Audio Innovations phono, Marantz PM4, Snell J/II - very musical set up
Fourlegs: Chord - Pass Labs - modified Dali 104s

but I spent over 4 hours there and could easily have visitied more.

glad you could enjoy those jantzens, i adore them and enjoyed them at a bakeoff recently

yolakim
18-03-2018, 19:16
glad you could enjoy those jantzens, i adore them and enjoyed them at a bakeoff recently

Sorry you couldn't be there Phil - main roads were pretty clear, but as always it's the side roads that cause the problem.

First visit to that room impressed and had a good chat with Jack (think that was his name - nice guy), but when I popped back in later, they'd swapped something and the Jantzens were really singing. The chap that made them was there, but didn't get to speak with him.

Floyddroid
18-03-2018, 19:36
Sounds like a great couple of days. Damned shame about the weather. The most likely reason for is being quiet. I do agree with the date being moved till a more hospitable time of the year. There is bound to be teething problems when you swap venues for such a large event. I am going to get there next year methinks.

paulf-2007
18-03-2018, 20:49
Sounds like a great couple of days. Damned shame about the weather. The most likely reason for is being quiet. I do agree with the date being moved till a more hospitable time of the year. There is bound to be teething problems when you swap venues for such a large event. I am going to get there next year methinks.
Very unlucky with the weather, who'd have thought. It's probably down to cost at this time of year. Apparently 300 paying customers, that is very poor.

paulf-2007
18-03-2018, 20:51

To User211, all the good kit was owned by the AA crowd? Really? Not one system worthy enough for you to listen to from the many exhibitors? Blimey.
You must have a very sensitive nose my friend.

Pete The Cat
18-03-2018, 21:41
It’s only rock ’n’ roll.

Nowadays it seems that arranging social events with my own friends requires a few months' lead-in due to family commitments, and even then is subject to confusion on venue / timing, no-shows and last minute rescheduling. So in my book anyone getting a bunch of chaps together on this scale in the middle of the country after a snowstorm and delivering more than a Ferguson clock radio for musical entertainment merits acknowledgement. Doubtless some may offer improvements or criticism, but my take on it is that it’s a miracle that the thing gets off the ground in the first place so I’m not going to be churlish in suggesting either. It is what it is.

Overall and individually it was well organised at its new venue (room 201 made life easiest for those of us who prefer pictures).

As I set off along the ground floor corridor Sakamoto's Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence theme wafted from Room 9. I struggled for a moment to pin the title down as I don't think I've heard it since the 80's... Anyway, being short on time I only managed between a third and half the rooms. Several were consistently busy and so I certainly missed gems, but my personal highlights were:

Best musical selection
Because for me it’s all about the music. At first pass SCIDB’s room 124 intrigued me with a Just Be Good To Me / Girls And Boys mash-up. Going back for more there was a real treat of Jamaican and soul. In fact by the time we hit The Detroit Emeralds' Feel The Need In Me I was smiling broadly, since the selections were foot-tappingly good. I could've spent far longer in there, it was the closest thing to a DJ set that takes you on a trip. Fair play to the owner as well for spinning tunes with a bit of thump in the hotel room and not opting for safety. The Avid (Acutus ?) turntable was at the heart of the system and probably responsible for letting me get, ahem, lost in music. I was particularly struck by the suppleness of its suspension.

Biggest surprise
A Quad 22 playing a role in Audioflyer’s room 1. I'm not sure how much modification it has (probably a complete transfusion) but I recall doing a double-take on seeing it holding its own while appreciating the spacious soundstage and crisp percussion through the JBL L40s.

Greatest spectacle
TheReelBBC’s room 208 was a privilege to behold. The Nagra Studer and Sony reel to reels were like altars. I must confess to losing the thread of the explanation of the components in-between those and the Rogers speakers (LS5/8 according to the brochure) but I'm sure that the ATC console at nearby East Midlands airport can't be any more impressive. If there's a heaven then I hope its lounge looks like this. New Order's sweepingly melancholic Your Silent Face was sublime.

The sound I liked most
At the risk of offending, and acknowledging that I probably only managed to do justice to less than half the rooms, Spider’s room 6 edged it IMHO with the Club-27 Kurt speakers which were a new phenomenon to me. Their voice particularly nailed guitar (Billy Gibbons), bass (Bruce Foxton) and vocals (Joe Cocker), which after all is three quarters of what rock is about. Maybe I just like that kind of colour and they suit my musical taste. When I initially saw them I wondered whether the room acoustics would complain, however those were successfully tamed. The triple deck attack of Inspire LP12/Acoustic Signature Challenger/401 was hard to choose between. All I can say is that this chap's home must be a fun place.

Boldest move
I keep coming back to it all being about the music. So on a final note, there were several rooms where I'd have liked to hear the system tackling something less polite and rather more challenging (of course, I could've asked but time was limited). Maybe the general taste is more conservative than mine or maybe, and quite understandably, folks want their systems to show in a good light and not have the day spoilt by a smart4rse like me scribbling notes as the angularity of the hotel room buckles the sound while Ms Bassey and orchestra hammer out Goldfinger. So I was pleased to come across a Beogram-fronted Sony rig really going for it and stripping the wallpaper in Daniel Ring's room 20 with, of all things, Total Eclipse Of The Heart - and remaining fully in control of the situation.

Credit to all concerned and apologies to the many I missed and fail to ackowledge. I'd briefly add that the commercial presence was unobtrusive to the point where I nearly missed Diverse Vinyl completely, but nonetheless managed to lighten their load when I finally found them.

As I drove home, no word of a lie, Guy Garvey then played Sakamoto's Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence theme on BBC 6. Clearly there are greater forces at work...

Pete

Audio Al
18-03-2018, 21:58
Did Jim from Ilford go " JVS " ?

hifinutt
18-03-2018, 21:59
Very unlucky with the weather, who'd have thought. It's probably down to cost at this time of year. Apparently 300 paying customers, that is very poor.

300 is incredible in this weather i think , bbc was full of dire warnings etc

hifinutt
18-03-2018, 22:00
It’s only rock ’n’ roll.

Nowadays it seems that arranging social events with my own friends requires a few months' lead-in due to family commitments, and even then is subject to confusion on venue / timing, no-shows and last minute rescheduling. So in my book anyone getting a bunch of chaps together on this scale in the middle of the country after a snowstorm and delivering more than a Ferguson clock radio for musical entertainment merits acknowledgement. Doubtless some may offer improvements or criticism, but my take on it is that it’s a miracle that the thing gets off the ground in the first place so I’m not going to be churlish in suggesting either. It is what it is.

Overall and individually it was well organised at its new venue (room 201 made life easiest for those of us who prefer pictures).

As I set off along the ground floor corridor Sakamoto's Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence theme wafted from Room 9. I struggled for a moment to pin the title down as I don't think I've heard it since the 80's... Anyway, being short on time I only managed between a third and half the rooms. Several were consistently busy and so I certainly missed gems, but my personal highlights were:

Best musical selection
Because for me it’s all about the music. At first pass SCIDB’s room 124 intrigued me with a Just Be Good To Me / Girls And Boys mash-up. Going back for more there was a real treat of Jamaican and soul. In fact by the time we hit The Detroit Emeralds' Feel The Need In Me I was smiling broadly, since the selections were foot-tappingly good. I could've spent far longer in there, it was the closest thing to a DJ set that takes you on a trip. Fair play to the owner as well for spinning tunes with a bit of thump in the hotel room and not opting for safety. The Avid (Acutus ?) turntable was at the heart of the system and probably responsible for letting me get, ahem, lost in music. I was particularly struck by the suppleness of its suspension.

Biggest surprise
A Quad 22 playing a role in Audioflyer’s room 1. I'm not sure how much modification it has (probably a complete transfusion) but I recall doing a double-take on seeing it holding its own while appreciating the spacious soundstage and crisp percussion through the JBL L40s.

Greatest spectacle
TheReelBBC’s room 208 was a privilege to behold. The Nagra Studer and Sony reel to reels were like altars. I must confess to losing the thread of the explanation of the components in-between those and the Rogers speakers (LS5/8 according to the brochure) but I'm sure that the ATC console at nearby East Midlands airport can't be any more impressive. If there's a heaven then I hope its lounge looks like this. New Order's sweepingly melancholic Your Silent Face was sublime.

The sound I liked most
At the risk of offending, and acknowledging that I probably only managed to do justice to less than half the rooms, Spider’s room 6 edged it IMHO with the Club-27 Kurt speakers which were a new phenomenon to me. Their voice particularly nailed guitar (Billy Gibbons), bass (Bruce Foxton) and vocals (Joe Cocker), which after all is three quarters of what rock is about. Maybe I just like that kind of colour and they suit my musical taste. When I initially saw them I wondered whether the room acoustics would complain, however those were successfully tamed. The triple deck attack of Inspire LP12/Acoustic Signature Challenger/401 was hard to choose between. All I can say is that this chap's home must be a fun place.

Boldest move
I keep coming back to it all being about the music. So on a final note, there were several rooms where I'd have liked to hear the system tackling something less polite and rather more challenging (of course, I could've asked but time was limited). Maybe the general taste is more conservative than mine or maybe, and quite understandably, folks want their systems to show in a good light and not have the day spoilt by a smart4rse like me scribbling notes as the angularity of the hotel room buckles the sound while Ms Bassey and orchestra hammer out Goldfinger. So I was pleased to come across a Beogram-fronted Sony rig really going for it and stripping the wallpaper in Daniel Ring's room 20 with, of all things, Total Eclipse Of The Heart - and remaining fully in control of the situation.

Credit to all concerned and apologies to the many I missed and fail to ackowledge. I'd briefly add that the commercial presence was unobtrusive to the point where I nearly missed Diverse Vinyl completely, but nonetheless managed to lighten their load when I finally found them.

As I drove home, no word of a lie, Guy Garvey then played Sakamoto's Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence theme on BBC 6. Clearly there are greater forces at work...

Pete

ah i wondered what spiders speakers were.thanks

http://www.club-27.com/index.php/news2

Macca
18-03-2018, 22:12
Boldest move
So I was pleased to come across a Beogram-fronted Sony rig really going for it and stripping the wallpaper in Daniel Ring's room 20 with, of all things, Total Eclipse Of The Heart - and remaining fully in control of the situation.

That is bold. But I do quite like that tune.

paulf-2007
18-03-2018, 22:16
300 is incredible in this weather i think , bbc was full of dire warnings etc
Tell that to an accountant

oldius
18-03-2018, 22:17
That is bold. But I do quite like that tune.

Were you holding out for a hero though?

Macca
18-03-2018, 22:20
Tell that to an accountant

Well your not paying so why do you care?

No more comments about this now, Neil already said that earlier. Pete got it right with what he said. People make an effort it should be applauded not criticised,

jandl100
19-03-2018, 07:53
^^^ Brilliant show report, Pete (the Cat). :thumbsup:
Wish I could have made it there, it sounds like the show retains its excellent vibe, but sadly I'm still snowed in.

Dean SCIDB is always tops for music choices and presentation, and his system is always one of the best at the show for sheer enjoyability!
Wish I could have heard those Jantzen speakers, sounds intriguing.
And a +1 from me for Bonnie Tyler. Corny, yeah. But grin-inducingly, toe-tappingly good. :D Pop music at its best.

Firebottle
19-03-2018, 08:38
Pete got it right with what he said. People make an effort it should be applauded not criticised,

Hear hear. We were there for the weekend, attending the Lenco Heaven bake off on the Saturday. It was a shame that the attendance was low but I thought it a good venue.
My best moments were getting to hear a Paradise phono stage (plus very mini bake off) and Yamaha NS1000 speakers. The yams were very electrostatic in presentation, right up my street.

Firebottle
19-03-2018, 08:42
Spider’s room 6 edged it IMHO with the Club-27 Kurt speakers which were a new phenomenon to me. Their voice particularly nailed guitar (Billy Gibbons), bass (Bruce Foxton) and vocals (Joe Cocker), which after all is three quarters of what rock is about. Maybe I just like that kind of colour and they suit my musical taste. When I initially saw them I wondered whether the room acoustics would complain, however those were successfully tamed. The triple deck attack of Inspire LP12/Acoustic Signature Challenger/401 was hard to choose between. All I can say is that this chap's home must be a fun place.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23048&d=1521407842&thumb=1

I really liked those Club-27 speakers as well. I advised moving them a bit closer to the corners and that gave a little extra weight :D

If you look closely in the middle of the picture you will see a Firebottle Vivant phono stage that Spider borrowed for most of the day.

Bazil
19-03-2018, 11:18
Apparently 300 paying customers, that is very poor.

You quoted me , that was the lunch time count (early report), there were many more .

Bazil
19-03-2018, 11:23
Photo for Audio Al , there are many more here : https://flic.kr/s/aHskxXkxH5

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/816/40895619601_7047a8f1d3_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25iNJVF)

hifinutt
19-03-2018, 11:39
yes , i guess thats why its good the show has some financial backing. if this was just amateurs running as in the beginning it could be very painful indeed

Beobloke
19-03-2018, 13:03
Well, Mrs. B and i made it up and back without incident. We had a lovely night at the hotel we stayed at and thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the show. It was great to finally hear some rooms other than my own!

We heard some great sounds but a few rooms deserve an honourable mention:

- ff1d1l - those Ureis were fantastic and top man for allowing me to subject some poor innocents to Infected Mushroom!

- The Flash with his room full of Pioneer goodness. Obviously high end 'Japcrap' is never anything less than wonderful but I'd never heard the Prologue speakers before and was very impressed.

- Daniel Ring's room full of Sony loveliness - and a B&O turntable as well! There should be more B&O at these events - I keep saying this but no-one listens...

- Sony Guy's room full of more Sony goodness. Some lovely equipement and the smell of vintage electronics in here was just sublime!

But the coveted Beobloke "best in show" award has to go to...........................Hondola!

2 Philips CD104s, an impossibly small Aurex preamp and those magnificent Philips MFB speakers were the sound of the show for me. Even Mrs. B was really impressed by them, which I feel sure means I have an automatically approved purchase order to buy some...

Shovel_Knight
19-03-2018, 13:44
and those magnificent Philips MFB speakers were the sound of the show for me. Even Mrs. B was really impressed by them, which I feel sure means I have an automatically approved purchase order to buy some...

Oh dear, I guess I really need to find a way to ship my 22AH587 from Ukraine to Ireland.

Dickchy
19-03-2018, 15:31
Despite the snow my flight from the Channel Islands managed to get in and out again, albeit a little late. This was my first WAM show and I know nothing about past politics but I was made to feel very welcome. I thought the venue was very good and the show very well organised.

I really enjoyed the Saturday evening - after all, what’s not to like about sitting around drinking wine, listening to music till the early hours with a bunch of Hi Fi fans on a variety of very good systems?

Highlights for me:

Spyder’s lovely trio of turntables all sounding wonderful though a lovely Gamma Reference 211 and Club 27 Kurt speakers.

Hearing Paul/Maverick’s Boenicke W8s fed by a thumping great John Wood Audio KT88 amp

The sheer enthusiasm and sound from SCIDB himself and his Avid Acura’s/SME front ended system. If you left there without a big grin, something is wrong.

Hearing a system that cost less than 1K from Tony-J and Ed Howarth sounding so good and proving you don’t have to spend a fortune for decent SQ.

A great way to spend a weekend.

Richard

oldius
19-03-2018, 17:29
Hear hear. We were there for the weekend, attending the Lenco Heaven bake off on the Saturday. It was a shame that the attendance was low but I thought it a good venue.
My best moments were getting to hear a Paradise phono stage (plus very mini bake off) and Yamaha NS1000 speakers. The yams were very electrostatic in presentation, right up my street.Thanks. They were mine with the Lentek. I bloody love them!

YNWaN
19-03-2018, 19:10
Unfortunately Saturday nights heavy snowfall (here at least) meant that I didn’t attend this years show. I must say I was very (extremely) disappointed to miss it, particularly as I have been to every other one. I’m also very sorry to hear that visitor numbers were effected by the poor weather but the organisers couldn’t have helped that - it’s just very unfortunate :(.

oldius
19-03-2018, 19:33
Unfortunately Saturday nights heavy snowfall (here at least) meant that I didn’t attend this years show. I must say I was very (extremely) disappointed to miss it, particularly as I have been to every other one. I’m also very sorry to hear that visitor numbers were effected by the poor weather but the organisers couldn’t have helped that - it’s just very unfortunate :(.

It really is but it didn't overly detract from the event IMO.
The weather was very severe and no one could really predict that in March.

Edward
19-03-2018, 19:48
Second year I went and again highly enjoyable. I thought my system (ever changing) sounds good but, once again, seeing/hearing so many systems was an eye opener and shows me the potential of even going further. Is is quite clear the enormous effort the exhibitors made in getting their systems fine tuned and then just out of sheer pleasure sharing their fruits with like minded enthusiasts.

Just been looking through the room plans and see there are so many that struck home. My main focus were speakers so some standouts. Tannoy 10 inch homebrew by Cable Monkey, Greybeard's DIY LS35a, The Sony Guy had a lovely pair of AR-7s singing when I went in. Room 108 had a lovely pair of Usher Dancers driven by Icon Audio monos. The Philipps MFD 545 speakers had stunning bass, but I can't imagine having these monsters in my living room. The owner (Hondola) took a chance on them a few years ago buying sight unseen from Germany and listed as requiring repair. Did an amazing job getting them back working to spec. Room 110 had a small 2-way diy standmount made from Corian with external xovers driven by Pass Aleph 60 monos. Room filling sound from such a tiny package (xovers boxes larger than the cabs!). The Boenicke W8s, given its small factor size, had no business filling the room with such glorious sound, but it did - helped a bit with a sub wired in for the show.

Loved the old-school NS100N driven by The Lentek and shown off by Oldius and his son. Sunbeamgls really showed what was possible having an active xover, in his case a pair of PMC 20.21 with Linn active system. Precise, 3d, controlled and balanced. Similarly in room 204 there were various items in an active system. When I visited some Lowther PM2Cs were singing driven by various items such as a Behringer A500 and a Linkwitz-Riley 2 way active.

Last year Steve57 had massive open ported baffles in a large room. This year he brought along his 'smaller' open baffles housed in a more friendly package (but still enormous) driven by a 5w DIY px25 SET amp. I asked, above the music filled room, is that enough? Apparently the amp was only using 1w at that time. Talk about sensitive speakers. The SET was sporting original valves (e.g. GEC) dating from the 30s and 40s.

Ok, just 3 more for here now. TheReelBBC guy was, I guess, the most visually impactful with his Nagra and Studer R2Rs and outputting via Quad 405-2s to Rogers LS5/8 speakers. Fourlegs did an absolutely amazing job tweeking his Dali 104s to stonking levels. I was almost tempted to ask him how much he wanted for them. Lastly the Frugal Horns and Ergo IX produced a lovely sweet sound - both very WAF friendly.

oldius
19-03-2018, 20:05
Second year I went and again highly enjoyable. I thought my system (ever changing) sounds good but, once again, seeing/hearing so many systems was an eye opener and shows me the potential of even going further. Is is quite clear the enormous effort the exhibitors made in getting their systems fine tuned and then just out of sheer pleasure sharing their fruits with like minded enthusiasts.

Just been looking through the room plans and see there are so many that struck home. My main focus were speakers so some standouts. Tannoy 10 inch homebrew by Cable Monkey, Greybeard's DIY LS35a, The Sony Guy had a lovely pair of AR-7s singing when I went in. Room 108 had a lovely pair of Usher Dancers driven by Icon Audio monos. The Philipps MFD 545 speakers had stunning bass, but I can't imagine having these monsters in my living room. The owner (Hondola) took a chance on them a few years ago buying sight unseen from Germany and listed as requiring repair. Did an amazing job getting them back working to spec. Room 110 had a small 2-way diy standmount made from Corian with external xovers driven by Pass Aleph 60 monos. Room filling sound from such a tiny package (xovers boxes larger than the cabs!). The Boenicke W8s, given its small factor size, had no business filling the room with such glorious sound, but it did - helped a bit with a sub wired in for the show.

Loved the old-school NS100N driven by The Lentek and shown off by Oldius and his son. Sunbeamgls really showed what was possible having an active xover, in his case a pair of PMC 20.21 with Linn active system. Precise, 3d, controlled and balanced. Similarly in room 204 there were various items in an active system. When I visited some Lowther PM2Cs were singing driven by various items such as a Behringer A500 and a Linkwitz-Riley 2 way active.

Last year Steve57 had massive open ported baffles in a large room. This year he brought along his 'smaller' open baffles housed in a more friendly package (but still enormous) driven by a 5w DIY px25 SET amp. I asked, above the music filled room, is that enough? Apparently the amp was only using 1w at that time. Talk about sensitive speakers. The SET was sporting original valves (e.g. GEC) dating from the 30s and 40s.

Ok, just 3 more for here now. TheReelBBC guy was, I guess, the most visually impactful with his Nagra and Studer R2Rs and outputting via Quad 405-2s to Rogers LS5/8 speakers. Fourlegs did an absolutely amazing job tweeking his Dali 104s to stonking levels. I was almost tempted to ask him how much he wanted for them. Lastly the Frugal Horns and Ergo IX produced a lovely sweet sound - both very WAF friendly.

Thanks Edward. We really enjoyed showing off the NS1000 and Lentek. The DAC is not quite as old as those but gives them a signal of incredible clarity.

If we exhibit again I need to get forum names so we can say. "Hi!"

YNWaN
19-03-2018, 20:16
My best moments were getting to hear a Paradise phono stage (plus very mini bake off) and Yamaha NS1000 speakers. The yams were very electrostatic in presentation, right up my street.

Oh, who took the Paradise and what other equipment was it partnered with? Also, how did it sound?

narabdela
19-03-2018, 20:17
Did TheReelBBC guy's room have a tribute to Stewart (Lodgesound)?

Bazil
19-03-2018, 20:31
Did TheReelBBC guy's room have a tribute to Stewart (Lodgesound)?

Top of speaker , go into Flickr and click again to enlarge .

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/810/39086298580_f75e25a84a_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22xVuPE)P1000784_DxO (https://flic.kr/p/22xVuPE) by Baz (https://www.flickr.com/photos/barryjp/), on Flickr

narabdela
19-03-2018, 20:52
Top of speaker , go into Flickr and click again to enlarge .

Thanks for the reply. I enjoyed my chats with Stewart at Scalford. Top man and sadly missed.

DiveDeepDog
19-03-2018, 21:02
Oh, who took the Paradise and what other equipment was it partnered with? Also, how did it sound?

Mickey's Paradise and 301

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4774/40195300724_55ce1e9944_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24eVqwh)IMG_4169 (https://flic.kr/p/24eVqwh) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

My stock photo, it had Koetsu Rosewood Sig on the day.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4472/37970476821_4aca65d988_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZRjBTt)IMG_3965 (https://flic.kr/p/ZRjBTt) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

We had a difference of opinion vs Vivant, but it was one rushed track and far from ideal conditions. Didn't realise what a rats nest mess I'd created till I've looked at the pics today.

Crackles
19-03-2018, 21:14
Mickey's Paradise and 301

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4774/40195300724_55ce1e9944_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24eVqwh)IMG_4169 (https://flic.kr/p/24eVqwh) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

My stock photo, it had Koetsu Rosewood Sig on the day.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4472/37970476821_4aca65d988_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZRjBTt)IMG_3965 (https://flic.kr/p/ZRjBTt) by mark leatherland (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49381909@N08/), on Flickr

We had a difference of opinion vs Vivant, but it was one rushed track and far from ideal conditions. Didn't realise what a rats nest mess I'd created till I've looked at the pics today.I think yours was my favourite room amidst some very stiff competition. Changed my mind about subwoofers too. Always thought they were just for adding loads of bass until I heard what a subtle but effective addition they were in your system.

ff1d1l
19-03-2018, 22:08
Three hundred visitors was up from last year at Scalford by 20 or 30, so even without the influence of the weather has to be seen as a success. Had there not been the snow it would have been substantially higher. The organisers were very happy with three hundred attendees.

The new venue?
It's a hi fi truism that the most important component in a system is the room - well, all exhibitors got a free upgrade in that case because no question but the Kegworth rooms sounded substantially better than Scalford. Much less sound leakage, more solid construction, and proportions that seemed to ameliorate boominess. I had a couple of room-sat hours to get round the show, and I tried to see and hear every room. Even though I probably didn't quite achieve this target, I thought the average overall SQ that I got to hear was far ahead of Scalford. Not to say there weren't some exceptional sounds over the years at Scalford, but many people had to battle against lousy rooms, and didn't achieve their systems potential.

Visitors were appreciative, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. And came armed with music, at least a surprising number did. And MOR AOR it was not - some really eclectic things were handed me to play, a few good discoveries made, which of course makes it all worth while.

I had a great time - is that coming over?

Next year? Already making plans....different system though. Thinking I'll put together something around the Urei 809s next year, which are effectively a time aligned dual concentric JBL 4425 studio monitor, and less than half the size of the 811As I took this year.

hifinutt
19-03-2018, 22:13
thanks for all the pics , another exhibitor sadly missed was ians1 who used to exhibit every year at scalford . a tragic loss at a very very young age .

i think folks are still enjoying his kit somewhere including some massive horning ultimates

Firebottle
19-03-2018, 22:14

It was in the DiveDeepDog room as you will just have seen. The following is purely my own opinion and is said to promote wider discussion rather than to say any one approach is better, it all depends on ones own tastes, hearing, and I think to a lesser degree what you have already experienced.

Differences were small but at the top level of performance that is the way it ought to be. It might be considered stereotypical but to me the valve Vivant stage sounded more 'organic' than the 'sterile' solid state Paradise. It is difficult to describe very minor differences, the Paradise is a stunning stage.
I also thought the Vivant had more depth and 'air' to the presentation.

Amazing sound but as always YMMV.

sq225917
19-03-2018, 23:11
Valve, organic, solid state, sterile. Yes, very stereotypical.

DiveDeepDog
20-03-2018, 01:54
-

ovlov854
21-03-2018, 10:03
Got there late,but very impressed with venue and parking was a joy
Where else can you go to hear so many real world systems for £12 squids??
My highlights were a pair of Ushers on the end of MB845 monos and the Audionote Otto SE and HE
That guy had a pretty good turntable with an AN 2 arm and an AN IQ which sounded sublime........buggered if I can remember what TT it was :doh:
Any one know?

DiveDeepDog
21-03-2018, 11:21
My highlights were a pair of Ushers on the end of MB845 monos and the Audionote Otto SE and HE
That guy had a pretty good turntable with an AN 2 arm and an AN IQ which sounded sublime........buggered if I can remember what TT it was :doh:
Any one know?

Steve & Robins room? TT is The Source, I refurbed it a couple of years ago, Steve's daily ride is a 1210 with AN2 arm

Crackles
21-03-2018, 12:03
Any one know?I think he said there aren't many of them about because they were usurped at the time by a more popular model.

YNWaN
21-03-2018, 12:10
It was in the DiveDeepDog room as you will just have seen. The following is purely my own opinion and is said to promote wider discussion rather than to say any one approach is better, it all depends on ones own tastes, hearing, and I think to a lesser degree what you have already experienced.

Differences were small but at the top level of performance that is the way it ought to be. It might be considered stereotypical but to me the valve Vivant stage sounded more 'organic' than the 'sterile' solid state Paradise. It is difficult to describe very minor differences, the Paradise is a stunning stage.
I also thought the Vivant had more depth and 'air' to the presentation.

Amazing sound but as always YMMV.

Hmm.. yes, interesting, - particularly in the speaker choice department. Compared to pretty much every other transistor phonostage I have tried the paradise has sounded significantly less dry and mechanical. However, I wouldn't describe any of the valve stages I have used as organic either (though I've never tried your 'Vivant' stage). Then again, I don't use valve amplification or the kind of speakers often found in such systems.

DiveDeepDog
21-03-2018, 13:19
I think he said there aren't many of them about because they were usurped at the time by a more popular model.

Solid bronze platter and unobtainable Papst motor probably didn't help production? 5 spring suspension much more balanced than a Linn. Steve's had No.50 on the big power supply, not sure how many were done.

Best sounding belt drive at I've had at home :eek:

take5
21-03-2018, 14:36
Mark, did you make that plinth for Mick?

I sold him my Garrard 301 about a year ago, and he said then that he hoped to get you to make a plinth for him.

If so, its great to see it again, and looking so great. What a blingy arm. What is it?

Mick, if you read this.... great job. I hope it sounds as good as it looks, and gives you what you hope for.

Marco
21-03-2018, 14:49
Hmm.. yes, interesting, - particularly in the speaker choice department. Compared to pretty much every other transistor phonostage I have tried the paradise has sounded significantly less dry and mechanical. However, I wouldn't describe any of the valve stages I have used as organic either (though I've never tried your 'Vivant' stage). Then again, I don't use valve amplification or the kind of speakers often found in such systems.

I think that you either intrinsically *get* and like the influence of the 'valve factor', when done well, or you don't. For me, both transistors and valves have their distinct sonic advantages, which when used in a context that optimises those advantages, can clearly be heard.

After that, it's all down to personal preference, and often the kind of music you listen to most.

For me, valves (done well) and vinyl are a match made in heaven, which is why I'd always use a quality valve phono stage. I also prefer how good head amps [and some SUTs], used in conjunction with a quality valve MM stage, amplify and process the music signal from a good LOMC cartridge, in comparison with that provided by standalone MC stages.

However, I've heard the Paradise on a couple of occasions and enjoyed it immensely :)

Marco.

navigator
21-03-2018, 15:17
Regretfully I was snowed in and missed this tenth show after demoing at most of previous. Boo Woo. I just read this thread and must comment that it is the most interesting of the three available to me and shows some strongly expressed views ( Some of my kit did make it to Spiders Room ( the one with three tables) through earlier arrangements. His speakers are DIY and love the big SET design amp and yes his bungalow glows with vibe! He's a rock musician and the beat /rhythm is a forte. To pull so many customers in appalling weather suggests that next year will need early booking. Perhaps a modded 1200 needs AirPlay?

oldius
21-03-2018, 15:21
All audio equipment can be very well designed or not. There are excellent valve products and superb solid state products, the latter being my preference. The only arbiter is your own hearing.

Marco
21-03-2018, 15:31
All audio equipment can be very well designed or not. There are excellent valve products and superb solid state products, the latter being my preference. The only arbiter is your own hearing.

I agree. However, ultimately, we are all governed by our relevant levels of experience...

Not everyone will have heard both SS and valves done *really* well, in an optimal context. Therefore in that respect, the efficacy of your own hearing, as an arbiter for determining which is better, or more preferable, will always be governed by said level of experience.

The problem with forming a conclusive opinion on valve equipment, is that more often than not it's done sub-optimally, or merely adequately well, rather than *really* well, whereas the efficacy of solid-state equipment is generally much more consistent.

Therefore, on that basis, it's not difficult to understand why SS equipment is the option that's often preferred :)

Marco.

oldius
21-03-2018, 15:53
True Marco. However, budgets often only allow us to hear products at a certain level. At that level, it's worth hearing a range of equipment to determine our preference, in our own context which may be far from optimal.

YNWaN
21-03-2018, 16:18
I’ve listened to a prototype hybrid valve stage that Jez built and thought that very good, but I haven’t yet heard any full valve stages I could personally enjoy*. I’ve heard various valve amps I have liked - the current Trilogy stuff for example.

* Actually, that’s not true - the Tron Convergence was very good.

DiveDeepDog
21-03-2018, 16:49

I sold him my Garrard 301 about a year ago, and he said then that he hoped to get you to make a plinth for him.

If so, its great to see it again, and looking so great. What a blingy arm. What is it?

Mick, if you read this.... great job. I hope it sounds as good as it looks, and gives you what you hope for.

Brian, yes, your old 301, I made the plinth. The arm's Morch DP6 with XTC counterweight, Koetsu Rosewood Sig cart.

Its a good combination, I reckon the Morch would run my Aro close, the Koetsu's the best cart I've heard at home .

Marco
21-03-2018, 17:06
True Marco. However, budgets often only allow us to hear products at a certain level. At that level, it's worth hearing a range of equipment to determine our preference, in our own context which may be far from optimal.

Completely agree, Geoff, which is why it's always good to bear the latter in mind. I think it's fairly safe to say that you're more likely to hear a good SS amp, than a valve one, simply because the former are generally easier to make sound good, and often rather more cheaply, too!:)

Marco.

Marco
21-03-2018, 17:27
I’ve listened to a prototype hybrid valve stage that Jez built and thought that very good, but I haven’t yet heard any full valve stages I could personally enjoy*. I’ve heard various valve amps I have liked - the current Trilogy stuff for example.

* Actually, that’s not true - the Tron Convergence was very good.

Absolutely, Mark. And how much is the above Tron, £3k or more?

My point being that, just like with amps, you don't get 'affordable' great sounding valve phono stages, which are widely available, apart from those the likes of Glenn Croft builds into his preamps, or if you're a member here, those from small specialist makers, such as Firebottle.

I'm not really into hybrid designs, as most (but not all) to my ears, rather than being the 'best of both worlds', end up being a master of none...

Marco.

YNWaN
21-03-2018, 18:51
The Tron is relatively cheap - 1K for the MM version and 1.2 for the MC.

Marco
21-03-2018, 19:17
That's much less than I'd imagined, so definitely on the 'SPPV' list:)

You know where I'm coming from, though.

Marco.

Idlewithnodrive
21-03-2018, 20:26
I'm very pleased that the show went ahead and that all the visitors and exhibitors seemed to enjoy themselves.

The show serves a great purpose, getting a bunch of otherwise anti-social old duffer's together for a great time and showcasing home hi-fi to the general public.

Sort of like care in the community, enacted to music 😀

YNWaN
22-03-2018, 20:33
That's much less than I'd imagined, so definitely on the 'SPPV' list:)

You know where I'm coming from, though.

Marco.

Well yes, I guess I do and I don’t. I heard the Tron at a friends house and I want expecting to be as impressed as I was. In particular, it really didn’t do anything badly which is not as easy to achieve as one would think. However, he played it against his (then) Paradise and although their bone structure was similar I honestly thought the Paradise was a league beyond in terms of subtlety, nuance and absolute dynamic. But these things are in the ear of the individual.

Marco
23-03-2018, 08:38
That's fair enough, Mark. However, you're comparing a 'no compromise' bespoke designed DIY phono stage, against a mid-market commercially produced one, so hardly a fair contest.

How much do you think the Paradise would cost if it were produced by, say, Naim, and sold through their dealer network? I'm guessing more than £1200.

And does GT Audio produce a more expensive valve phono stage than the Tron one you mention?

[Edit: just looked, and the Convergence appears to be they entry-level unit. Perhaps the Seven, shown here (or the mono version), would be more of a match for the Paradise: http://www.tron-electric.co.uk/phono-amplifiers/seven-phono-stage/

Marco.

YNWaN
23-03-2018, 09:48
Oh yes, don’t get me wrong, I was really very impressed by the Tron and particularly so given the cost! It really is a bit of a bargain. I listened to the MC version and there was very little hum or hiss, which (as you know) is rare in high gain all valve stages.

Also, as you say, it’s not a fair comparison. It is estimated that the Paradise would retail circa 6K+ if produced professionally , so more in line with Trons more expensive gear (which I don’t think I’ve ever heard).

Marco
23-03-2018, 10:03
Yups :)

With these things, one always has to compare 'like with like'. It says something for the Convergence, though, that it wasn't disgraced by the Paradise, given the significant disparity in cost between both, and suggests that the more expensive models in the Tron range would be capable of pushing the Paradise all the way.

Btw, don't be so surprised that good quality, well-designed valve phono stages are as quiet as you've described. There's no reason for them not to be, if built properly. I wouldn't tolerate anything less - and when you're using a solid-state head amplifier, in conjunction with a valve MM stage, like I do, the noise is even less;)

Marco.

Zoidburg
23-03-2018, 10:19
Yups :)

With these things, one always has to compare 'like with like'. It says something for the Convergence, though, that it wasn't disgraced by the Paradise, given the significant disparity in cost between both, and suggests that the more expensive models in the Tron range would be capable of pushing the Paradise all the way.

Btw, don't be so surprised that good quality, well-designed valve phono stages are as quiet as you've described. There's no reason for them not to be, if built properly. I wouldn't tolerate anything less - and when you're using a solid-state head amplifier, in conjunction with a valve MM stage, like I do, the noise is even less;)

Marco.

I have a Tron convergence stage (albeit one that has had a tweaking by FB) and recently had it up against a Paradise stage owned by BKsabbath of this parish. I don't know much about his paradise stage but he seemed very impressed with the Tron. There's a thread covering it in the bake off section.

Bigman80
23-03-2018, 10:36
I have a Tron convergence stage (albeit one that has had a tweaking by FB) and recently had it up against a Paradise stage owned by BKsabbath of this parish. I don't know much about his paradise stage but he seemed very impressed with the Tron. There's a thread covering it in the bake off section.Your Tron is a completely different animal and shouldn't be confused with the standard unit.

The "out of the box" Convergence would be left licking it's wounds against your Modded Tron.

Its build quality is stunning but I feel that's where most of the budget went.

I had it here in standard guise for weeks and just couldn't get on with it.

Your Convergence on the other hand, would have still been here if I had the cash at the time.

All personal opinion of course.

Edit - Mods are not supported by GT and will void your warranty. You'll also be on Santa's naughty list for having it modded.

YNWaN
23-03-2018, 11:00
I think it's worth adding that the modifications made by Allan to his Convergence are not supported by Graham Tricker (the actual designer).

Bigman80
23-03-2018, 11:03
I think it's worth adding that the modifications made by Allan to his Convergence are not supported by Graham Tricker (the actual designer).Yes, agreed. Original post edited.

Floyddroid
23-03-2018, 12:34
Was it a wam show or a Phono bake off?

narabdela
23-03-2018, 12:58
Was it a warm show or a Phono bake off?

Good question!:lol:

Bigman80
23-03-2018, 13:07
Was it a wam show or a Phono bake off?Sorry, bit of thread drift. The modded Convergence was at a Bakeoff at MCRU.

Mickyricky
23-03-2018, 16:45

It does sound good Brian especially coupled up with the Paradise Phono stage etc .we had lots of nice words about the deck and setup on the day ..I’m well pleased !
Mark’s plinth is a work of art ...No you can’t buy it back lol!

rubber duck
24-03-2018, 00:23
Hi Micky, was there a difference between the XTC and Moerch counterweights?

Mickyricky
24-03-2018, 06:42
Hi Micky, was there a difference between the XTC and Moerch counterweights?

No ! not in performance wise ,only in looks ..the XTC weight was designed to be easier to set up and control as I found the weights on the Moerch were prone to slip and were fiddled to set up ( for me). Mark ( divedeepdog) did the research and found the guy (John) who makes weights for Roksan arms etc .He sells them on eBay,I rung John after Mark had emailed him to enquiry whether he could make a weight for the Moerch.After some research etc that's what he came up with.I think that it's a pretty good job and so user friendly.
I have has phone no .if you wish to make some enquiries...

rubber duck
24-03-2018, 10:43
Thanks. I've been in touch with Mark on Wam and John on eBay after I saw the photo. Just thought I'd check with your experiences.

take5
24-03-2018, 10:49
It does sound good Brian
we had lots of nice words about the deck and setup on the day ..I’m well pleased !

great news. im very happy to read that.

just remember. this one doesnt have a built in phono. the other does !!!!!!

its very important to remember which is which, when plugging in. :):):)