PDA

View Full Version : Spendor S6e speakers

Mr. C
10-03-2018, 19:01
Just arrived a really high quality pair of Spendor S6e's in the lighter wood finish, with original boxes and spikes. A great two way speaker that delivers a quality sound for sensible outlay. One owner from new smoke, child and pet free environment. New cost £1600

Asking £625ono

Contact Information (http://www.coherent-systems.co.uk/contact.asp)

Review One (http://www.audioreview.com/product/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/spendor/s6-e.html)

Review two (http://www.hifi-review.com/151365-spendor-s6e.html)

http://www.coherent-systems.co.uk/images/s6eb1.jpg

http://www.coherent-systems.co.uk/images/s6eb2.jpg

http://www.coherent-systems.co.uk/images/s6eb3.jpg

Mr. C
29-05-2018, 12:48
Now £550

Mr. C
05-07-2018, 10:48
The summer madness continues now £495

Mr. C
10-09-2018, 09:06
Now £475

Mr. C
19-11-2018, 10:18
Need some space £450 to clear

Mr. C
14-01-2019, 10:52
Last reduction to clear £395

Mr. C
05-02-2019, 13:58
Last price reduction here £350 to clear with boxes.

Bigman80
05-02-2019, 14:07
Can't be many folks who's system can't be improved with these. £350 is ridiculous.

DSJR
05-02-2019, 14:18
They're FUGGIN' GOOD SPEAKERS!!!!!!

The E model tightened the slight warmth of the previous ones no end and the cabs in all of these were incredibly rigid and well finished, the rear 'port/slight labyrinth?' is slot loaded and never an issue. These E's could go closer to a back wall without boom (the previous model never boomed either to be fair) and we sold many 6's and 8's in their time and with all manner of partnering gear. The weakest of this generation was the original '9' and the '5' the 9 having a slight 'squeak' sometimes which the 9e got rid of and the smaller 5 had a really odd bass to mid balance very room dependant. The beech finish was elegant I recall.

Sound is well integrated and I think they're a kindly enough amp loading, no obvious colouration and needing a slightly 'HiFi' speaker cable just to enliven the sound just a little (Chord Odyssey was our choice back then). Bi-amping enlarged the sound a little as well. They're NOT a 'HiFi DEEEEEEETAIL!' kind of speaker as Dyn-Audios can be for example, but they let the music speak to you naturally for hours on end and without stress of any kind. A reasonably powerful amp is always a good bet here.

Feck, had I the spare dosh I'd bite this chap's hand off. A £300 car bill plus a probable windscreen excess prevents me even considering them!

They've got proper boxes too it seems. Come on chaps, you lot are always after an effin' bargain!!!!!!!!! They're NOT a plump, ripe-toned BC1 wannabe slush box - that was designed out as soon as Phil Swift took the company over and before the model was launched - the prototypes had front mounted ports I remember and were rejected by us, where the final 6's and 8's were embraced and became trusted good sellers for the dealership i was at for a few years.

struth
05-02-2019, 14:22
yup, very decent value. good speakers.

DSJR
05-02-2019, 14:37
A little story of what happened during late development of this series, told to me by Phil Swift.

When Phil S took over, Derek Hughes was still there as a consultant. The sound wasn't quite as the new owner wanted, so a little tweak was done overnight. Derek heard the difference I gather and put it down to a pretty major crossover or driver change. All that was done was a change in capacitor type (I'm suggesting electrolytic to film poly prop types). This is a well known 'thing' today, but back then it was a fairly new experience for established traditional designers I believe to get their head round.

So yep, the Spendor S series WAS listened to and dealer opinions sought before proper launch. The Se version suited them better to smaller UK rooms and in some ways, the A series was a visual backwards step imo, although the cabinets are far more solid in the flesh than they look in pictures of these later ones. The current equivalent of the S6 models is pushing £2k now I understand...

Bigman80
05-02-2019, 15:06
I've tipped a member off about these. Hopefully he snaps them up.

Had I not been emotionally tied to my "Kabuki" speakers, they'd already be on the way. I'm convinced these are a bargain.

RobbieGong
05-02-2019, 15:20
I've tipped a member off about these. Hopefully he snaps them up.

Had I not been emotionally tied to my "Kabuki" speakers, they'd already be on the way. I'm convinced these are a bargain.

Bargain aint the word for a brand and speaker of that quality

Bigman80
05-02-2019, 15:33
Bargain aint the word for a brand and speaker of that qualityWhich one do you have Rob?

RobbieGong
05-02-2019, 17:29
Which one do you have Rob?

Spendor D7, (as per sig') and they are excellent.

One day I'll up again to the D9 but that's me hoping and dreaming again (as you do in this game) :)

Bigman80
05-02-2019, 17:31
Spendor D7, (as per sig') and they are excellent.

One day I'll up again to the D9 but that's me hoping and dreaming again (as you do in this game) :)Nice. Fingers crossed mate.

DSJR
05-02-2019, 18:16
The S6e isn't as forward as a D7 can be (I'm not saying this as any criticism, just a comment on where Spendor biggies are at away from the old classic stuff) and Ollie, you might find them too laid back, whatever you feed them with - for your tastes I suspect. Had they been S9e's for a grand or less, I'd have urged you to go for them and to find another KSA100A to bi-amp them with ;) Oh yes indeedy :D Actually, a couple of the original stereo Arcam FMJ power amps would do at a pinch, or a couple of Meridian 557's from memory...

Mr. C
05-02-2019, 18:21
Hang on chaps, as much as I like history lessons in audio, it is a sales thread in a trade area, but I appreciate the comments thanks Tony.

DSJR
05-02-2019, 18:27
Tony, most people here will only think of Spendor as the makers of the BC1 and 'everything else' that came after - not all of it being very good if the mid period slush-boxes (or squeak boxes if the surrounds have hardened) I've heard from this maker are anything to go by! I was only trying to say the 'S' series was the first of a clean break away from the often variable models of old which only sold in the far east by this time and the '6' and '8' were very good indeed and at the time, easy to sell by comparison.

The 'history lesson' was to try to put the S6e's you're selling into a more modern perspective and to try to update the brand in the mind of many posters here, who haven't been around the audio scene for as long as I have for example..

Sorry I spoke :(

Mr. C
05-02-2019, 18:30
No need to have your nose put out of joint Dave honest, the problem with the typed word is there are no expressive abilities to represent how the comment was written which was in a positive spirit not a annoyed one. Emoticons only go so far!

STD305M
05-02-2019, 19:45
No need to have your nose put out of joint Dave honest, the problem with the typed word is there are no expressive abilities to represent how the comment was written which was in a positive spirit not a annoyed one. Emoticons only go so far!

Here here,

If I had not already heard these speakers and then read the comments I would have shyed away from the sale!!!!

Steve

Spev
06-02-2019, 10:05
Are these still for sale?

Mr. C
06-02-2019, 10:33
These are provisionally sold to Steve

Spev
06-02-2019, 11:29
Probably for the best! I'm actually in the market for a decent pair of small standmounts around that price, but these were just too good to not try.

Bigman80
06-02-2019, 11:43
Probably for the best! I'm actually in the market for a decent pair of small standmounts around that price, but these were just too good to not try.

Get in touch with Steve, he's selling some superb Dynaudios. I have heard them and they certainly fit the bill.

STD305M
06-02-2019, 11:59
Cheers Oliver.
Be sorry to see them go but you have to move on and upward --- I think!!!

Steve

STD305M
06-02-2019, 12:04
Hi Robert,
I've taken the plunge and bought the spendor S6e, without having listened.
I heard the a few year ago and they sounded pretty good.

Pick them up on Friday

Steve...

Mr. C
08-02-2019, 17:30
Now sold thank you

RobbieGong
08-02-2019, 17:54
Hi Robert,
I've taken the plunge and bought the spendor S6e, without having listened.
I heard the a few year ago and they sounded pretty good.

Pick them up on Friday

Steve...

Nice one Steve and I really hope you enjoy them. The Se series were / are well regarded.

I badly hankered after the S8e's.

Spendor have a reputation for quality speakers

Please do let us know how you get on with yours :)

Bigman80
08-02-2019, 18:17
Glad I could help!!

Mr. C
08-02-2019, 21:42
Steve dropped in this morning to collect his purchase, throughly bloody nice bloke and a decent human as well 😎

Bigman80
08-02-2019, 22:28
Steve dropped in this morning to collect his purchase, throughly bloody nice bloke and a decent human as well [emoji41]He is a top bloke. No doubt about that.

STD305M
08-02-2019, 23:44
Hi all
Had a great morning over at Mr.C. ( Tony).
I went over to collect the Spendor S6e speakers and was greeted with a coffee and crumpets (FOOD).
Had quite a time there listening to Tonys system.
Some lovely stuff Tony...was really shocked at how good the digital amp was ,I thought it sounded like a valve job.
Speakers still in the car as it was still pissing down, will get them in tomorrow and hook up to my newly built
dual mono dcb1 and Monarchy sm70 as my Firebottle monos are poorly.
Thanks for your time coffee and crumpets Tony.
Your a real gent

Regards Steve...

RobbieGong
09-02-2019, 00:02
Hi all
I went over to collect the Spendor S6e speakers and was greeted with a coffee and crumpets (FOOD).
Some lovely stuff Tony...was really shocked at how good the digital amp was ,I thought it sounded like a valve job.
Speakers still in the car as it was still pissing down, will get them in tomorrow and hook up to my newly built
Your a real gent

Regards Steve...

:thumbsup:

Btw - Couldnt tell ya the last time I had some crumpet (FOOD) :D

Bigman80
09-02-2019, 00:16
Hi all
Your a real gent

Regards Steve...What's up with monos Steve?

Luckily you still have a worldy in reserve!