PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning vinyl the wood glue way - hooray!

GrahamS
08-03-2018, 15:18
I have just done a test run using the PVA glue method on two very noisy LPs that have resisted all of my conventional cleaning attempts (Brush, Microfibre cloth, Velvet pad) and which sounded as if I was listening to a bush fire. I am astonished how effective it is. The one LP is now totally noise free, and I mean silent to the point that you can't hear the run-in groove at all. Now I'm looking for an old cheap turntable, preferably idler driven, to use as a cleaning station. I have ordered new inner sleeves so that I can re-sleeve discs as I clean them. It's a slow process.

WESTLOWER
08-03-2018, 15:36
I have just done a test run using the PVA glue method on two very noisy LPs that have resisted all of my conventional cleaning attempts (Brush, Microfibre cloth, Velvet pad) and which sounded as if I was listening to a bush fire. I am astonished how effective it is. The one LP is now totally noise free, and I mean silent to the point that you can't hear the run-in groove at all. Now I'm looking for an old cheap turntable, preferably idler driven, to use as a cleaning station. I have ordered new inner sleeves so that I can re-sleeve discs as I clean them. It's a slow process.

Really?! I'm glad it works for you but this sounds my idea of Vinyl hell.
Have you tried a vacuum based record cleaning machine?

GrahamS
08-03-2018, 15:49
Really?! I'm glad it works for you but this sounds my idea of Vinyl hell.
Have you tried a vacuum based record cleaning machine?

Unfortunately, such things are beyond my budget - way beyond!

GrahamS
08-03-2018, 15:51
I've never tried it myself but it does sound like a good idea. The crap gets stuck to the glue and peels off along with the glue. The potential problem would be the glue film breaking up and leaving bits behind, but I presume the advocates have worked out how to do it so the film stays intact.

You have to make sure that you spread an even and quite thick coating of glue on the record. If the coating is patchy or too thin or irregular in thickness, it will break up when you try and peel it off and leave bits behind which are hell to remove without damaging the record. It must come off all in one piece.

martian sunrise
08-03-2018, 15:52
don't use craft pva. fnck me that was a painful few hours...

karma67
08-03-2018, 16:50
ive tried it and it works well as already mentioned,titebond 2 is the glue i used.

skimminstones
08-03-2018, 17:17
Unfortunately, such things are beyond my budget - way beyond!

How much will you end up spending on the glue though?

Can make a decent vacuum cleaning system for less than £100

cre009
08-03-2018, 19:41
It can be very effective but is fussy to do and usually needs to be left over night to dry. I have also used commercial products in the past that use a similar approach though the PVA glue is cheaper than for example that sold by Nagaoka. I get enough second hand records to use the PVA but only as a last resort. The trick is to use it in a fairly thick layer otherwise it does not lift off properly.

http://www.nagaoka.eu/index.php?item=nagaoka-recopack-dc-203-record-cleaner--&action=article&aid=67&lang=EN

Phil Lawton
09-03-2018, 10:22
Sounds a bit lump-hammer -> peanut to me, not to mention the risk of leaving traces of the glue in the groove.

guy
09-03-2018, 10:43
To make removal easier, place a small tab of polyester film on the outside edge of the glue/LP before it sets - gives something to pull on when removing the dried glue (otherwise you could damage the vinyl trying start the "pull").

bbbiker800
09-03-2018, 11:41
I have a pair of Knosti's (there's a joke in there somewhere) one for a wash and the other for a rinse. Quite cheap and available occasionally, used. This works ok insomuch as I always get an improved record. I can't justify the cash for a proper machine either so when the above doesn't work I revert to PVA Glue or, if I get a charity shop duffer i try glue 1st then the Knosti. But, yes, spread it evenly and thick; add at least 4 plastic tabs to the edge. Multiple tabs help manage the risk of tear-offs and help get the film off evenly. However, for me, the process generates a lot of static so I use an anti-static gun I've had since the mid-70's to zap it. Then I use clean inners (Nagaoka).

regards, richard