PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd win court case against EMI re Internet sales

Peter Galbavy
11-03-2010, 13:09
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8561963.stm

"Pink Floyd have won a court battle with record label EMI over how their music is sold over the internet.

The rock legends, signed to EMI since 1967, sued the label over its decision to sell individual album tracks online.

EMI has been ordered to pay £40,000 ($60,000) in costs as an interim payment. The judge is to rule how much more the label should pay as a fine.

EMI has also been banned from selling single Pink Floyd tracks online without the band's permission.

..."

Rare Bird
11-03-2010, 14:30
Good

Themis
11-03-2010, 15:57
Artists are a pain in the ass. EMI should fire them all. :lol:

Covenant
11-03-2010, 16:00
Artists are a pain in the ass. EMI should fire them all. :lol:

Wash your mouth out Dimitri-thats Pink Floyd you are talking about.

Themis
11-03-2010, 16:12
Wash your mouth out Dimitri-thats Pink Floyd you are talking about.
Ah ? Which one is Pink ? :scratch:

Beechwoods
11-03-2010, 16:53
... and in celebration, and to show it's not all about charging their fans the price of an album just to get hold of one of their hits, the band have decided to offer their complete albums at the revolutionary price of 79p, for a limited time...

I'm joking, but some might call it protectionism. When Floyd released that horrible 'Echoes' compilation, with horrible cross fades and wind noises between tracks that were designed to be heard as part of a complete work, they proved to me they had about as much respect for their legacy as EMI do selling their tracks off piecemeal :(

Rare Bird
11-03-2010, 16:56
All record companies want fu**ing off the face of the earth period.

DSJR
11-03-2010, 17:29
I doubt the "Echoes" compilation was the band's idea to be fair...

PF's albums were conceived to be ALBUMS you played from one end to another (except side 1 of Meddle and the later ones post RW possibly, but even then). I just can't pick a track and play it, rather start from the beginning and let the vibe flow from beginning to end..

The annoying thing is that EMI have some of the older albums from the Virgin catalogue that could be re-released cheaply, either as downloads or two-on-one CD's, but they can't be a*sed it seems...

Haselsh1
11-03-2010, 18:11
Av yer got the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon...? Simply stunning. I love it, especially through the Croft.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-03-2010, 18:35
I like that versionof dsom too but loads of peeps round here seem to moan about it

Beechwoods
11-03-2010, 18:36
I've got it, and I like it, though I only listen to the stereo mix these days. The original quad mix is more exciting to be honest. It's a shame they remixed it to 5.1 for SACD.

DSJR
11-03-2010, 21:05
I once regularly heard a copy-master of DSOTM - Dolby A as well.....

The stereo presentation as heard on the SACD is NOTHING like the master, sounding soft and "rubbery" by comparison - more like a standard commercial LP of this album in fact. The MoFi LP and Doug Sax CD in its various forms/box sets sound far more like I remember the copy-master sound. The infamous clock strikes on "Time" should have a metallic "Ting," not a softer "ting" as if the hammers are covered in rubber.....

Kris
12-03-2010, 10:21
Surprisingly, although I've got a few copies of DSOM on different formats, the one that sounds best to me is the vinyl picture disc. :scratch:

Stratmangler
12-03-2010, 10:34
My favourite copy of DSOTM is my first vinyl copy - it occasionally gets an airing. I bought this new in 1974, so is quite an early pressing.

As for all the copies I have there are 5 (used to be six, but I lent a Canadian pre remaster CD release to someone and the toe-rag disappeared off the face).

I have three vinyl copies - the above mentioned 1974 copy, the 25th Anniversary EMI DMM release, and the 30th Anniversary release.

Then there's the remastered by James Guthrie CD version, and the SACD/CD hybrid - I usually listen to the ripped to FLAC CD layer of the last release.

Joe
12-03-2010, 12:43
I decided not to bother with Dark Side of the Moon and bought Raw Power instead.

Haselsh1
12-03-2010, 15:48
Hmmm... In spite of what I said, I have just done a comparison of the SACD playing two channel stereo against an early vinyl pressing and the vinyl absolutely romped home a clear winner. I guess being vinyl it was an odds on favourite right from the start...;)

(The SACD suffers from a clear case of 'dustbin lid' cymbals)

Haselsh1
12-03-2010, 15:52
I decided not to bother with Dark Side of the Moon and bought Raw Power instead.

Who...???

Stratmangler
12-03-2010, 15:54
Hmmm... In spite of what I said, I have just done a comparison of the SACD playing two channel stereo against an early vinyl pressing and the vinyl absolutely romped home a clear winner. I guess being vinyl it was an odds on favourite right from the start...;)

Unless you've played it via the analogue outputs of a standalone SACD player, then in all likelihood you've just been playing the CD layer of the disc, not the SACD layer.
If your Caiman was doing the digital to analogue conversion then this is definitely the case.

Haselsh1
12-03-2010, 15:57

In fact, throwing a completely new thread into the mix; why do digital cymbals always sound like they are Zinc galvanised instead of brass...??? My vinyl and my CD go through the same pre and power amp and the same speakers so why is this the case...??? My vinyl sources sparkle and zing but CD always sounds so dull.

Haselsh1
12-03-2010, 15:59
Unless you've played it via the analogue outputs of a standalone SACD player, then in all likelihood you've just been playing the CD layer of the disc, not the SACD layer.
If your Caiman was doing the digital to analogue conversion then this is definitely the case.

Yeah, although I have a cheap Sony SACD player, I chose to use the Caiman to listen.

Stratmangler
12-03-2010, 16:06
You don't have the Sony listed in your signature, which is why I stuck my oar in.
I just wanted to clarify the situation.;)

Haselsh1
12-03-2010, 16:12
You don't have the Sony listed in your signature, which is why I stuck my oar in.
I just wanted to clarify the situation.;)

If you owned it Strat you wouldn't wanna shout about it either...!

Stratmangler
12-03-2010, 16:22
:D

Rare Bird
12-03-2010, 16:37
I like that versionof dsom too but loads of peeps round here seem to moan about it

Thats because it sounds shit..I am a SACD hater at the end of the day i would say that, but honestly it sounds horrible.

The Grand Wazoo
12-03-2010, 17:29
Originally Posted by Joe

Who...???

http://soundsxp.com/artman2/uploads/1/iggy_pop_raw_power_1_.jpg