PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed.

GJO
05-03-2018, 10:26
I need to have a vinyl cull,but have never sold any of my LP's,I don't want to use the auction site,I would much prefer to sell on Forums such as this one and others,but trying to set a fair price for me and any potential purchaser is getting very confusing.

I have many LP's deemed desirable/collectable,some unplayed,ie Kate Bushes The red shoes,Ariel,Directors cut,50 words for snow,but trying to arrive at a price is bloody difficult.Dave Gilmour's Live in Gdansk has only ever had the final side played a couple of times,but how should I grade this.

I have checked the obvious sites but even Discdogs has large variation's in prices for the same item and yes there is a mediun but does this mean much especially as to the quality of the item sold,completed on the auction site also doesn't help me much either.

Any advice would be appreciated.

struth
05-03-2018, 10:35
in discogs if you go to where it says last sold. click on date in blue and it will take u to a page where you tick a box to prove you are a real member and it will show you a graph of sold items and their condition.
make sure you have correct version, and double check condition. selling on a forum usually u take about 25% or more off as you a, have no costs, and b, rarely any hassle.
state postage and how many you can post together for same or similar price etc. can help sell 2 for same postage etc.

rigger67
05-03-2018, 10:55
Check other people's Ts and Cs for the postage costs.
It's best just to copy and paste them and follow what everyone else charges.
My own price for up to two LPs is £3.80, which is about right.

One note of caution : if you post anywhere abroad, insist on tracked and signed because it's amazing how many records "go missing" .. :doh:
It can be very expensive to refund a buyer and you have no way of knowing if they're a chancer or not. If they don't want to pay, don't worry about it because someone else will.

What might sway you into using it is their app that allows you to scan barcodes and upload your collection, whether it's to sell or not :eyebrows:

GJO
05-03-2018, 10:59
Thanks Grant,just signed up.

Audio Al
05-03-2018, 11:06
Try putting 10 on AOS see what happens at reasonable prices

http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?49-Music-Sales-film-amp-blank-media

GJO
05-03-2018, 11:45
Thanks for the advise gent's,so how would you price this out of interest,only played once to record on cassette for my car,sleeve has a 10mm tear on the back,spine is good.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/history/2225434

Just need to order some mailers,these seem fine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-LP-33rpm-Amazon-B2-style-variable-capacity-rigid-CLP-vinyl-record-LP-mailers/201372839921?hash=item2ee2c1aff1:m:m9Gjz6qDpphHPrK ib0fJmig

struth
05-03-2018, 11:54
discog price might get up to 200 but you might wait a few years til a buyer came along. up at those prices folk are collectors and mostly want n mint up.. on a forum... 150 inc postage to start. but might need to drop a bit. just depends.

rigger67
05-03-2018, 13:28
Grant's right : do you want to price it to sell or wait patiently in the hope of silly money ??

I have a few high value items listed and every three months or so I'll take a look at my inventory, order them by price and then go through them, reducing them slightly to attract buyers.

It works.

rigger67
05-03-2018, 13:33
Thanks for the advise gent's,so how would you price this out of interest,only played once to record on cassette for my car,sleeve has a 10mm tear on the back,spine is good.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/history/2225434

Just need to order some mailers,these seem fine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-LP-33rpm-Amazon-B2-style-variable-capacity-rigid-CLP-vinyl-record-LP-mailers/201372839921?hash=item2ee2c1aff1:m:m9Gjz6qDpphHPrK ib0fJmig

Those mailers are expensive.
I use these as most of my sales are ones and twos :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-12-LP-STRONG-WHITE-RECORD-MAILERS-ENVELOPES-24h-STRONGEST-550-MICRON/220636507752?hash=item335ef5ee68:m:mlB4mneDtQP4HtN crRl_nqw

struth
05-03-2018, 13:42
Yup, its good to have a few cruciforms but standard mailers are a lot cheaper. I got mine here but there are a few decent suppliers https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/soundswholesale?_trksid=p2047675.l2559. stiffeners are good too, but you can make those if you have old boxes you want rid of.
I keep all my ones from buys as they can be reused numerous times.

rigger67
05-03-2018, 14:02
stiffeners are good too, but you can make those if you have old boxes you want rid of.
I keep all my ones from buys as they can be reused numerous times.

Agreed (again).
I've got a mate - an ex-customer - who buys loads of records every week and he keeps all his mailers for me.

I also use crisp boxes as they're the right size to rip up for four stiffeners :D

Pierre De Grenoble
06-03-2018, 10:24
I just wanted to add my tuppence to this thread.

If I bought a pricey record and it arrived in a standard mailer or even worse a cruciform I would be a very unhappy bunny as they give no real protection to the cover's corners. these are cheaper than your first choice and are identical:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-12-LP-RECORD-MAILERS-RECORD-BOXES-MULTI-DEPTH/322182332302

It is always better to remove the record and inner sleeve from the cover to avoid seam splits in transit. if the original inner was a printed/lyric type I would even put the record into an other sacrificial one.

If you look on eBay you'll notice that many of the "more expensive" sellers make a big deal out of their packaging and rightly so.

It's absolutely criminal to spend decent money on a beautiful record and cover and then have the cover split and dinked by inadequate packaging. It's happened to me in the past and the record has always gone back for a full refund.

struth
06-03-2018, 10:27
i used to add bubble wrap in the corners for extra protection taped over.. also can be added inside round record.

Pierre De Grenoble
06-03-2018, 10:55
i used to add bubble wrap in the corners for extra protection taped over.. also can be added inside round record.

to be fair Grant, I'm thinking that when the postie drops that record onto a mailer corner that might not work.

struth
06-03-2018, 11:02
to be fair Grant, I'm thinking that when the postie drops that record onto a mailer corner that might not work.

well, it was a thick bit wrapped over a few times. it was quite bouncy.

Old boy
06-03-2018, 11:46
Hi Graham
I'm very local to you
Could you maybe pm me with a list and prices I could pop by

Mickyricky
06-03-2018, 19:19
Graham! maybe you could put a list up here so we all have a chance to buy ...

rdpx
11-03-2018, 23:50
Interesting thread.

I've been going through hundreds of records today trying to figure out what to do with them.

So far there's a small pile of really badly scratched that are going to the tip, and a slightly bigger pile of scratched ones that are going to the charity shop.

There remain several piles.

Lots of immaculate 1970s classical, or film scores. Lots of trad jazz not yet checked out. Comedy records. Neil Diamond. John Denver. Piles of more interesting valuable ones, from rock to classical.

I'll likely eBay the valuable ones (£50+) but in my experience it's really hard selling anything in the £20 and under zone, and a lot of what I have is probably under a tenner...

I agree with the comment above telling you to put up a list! It might inspire me to do one myself if I see you do it first!

[emoji3]

Rhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180311/837b433c9d29831601d2e830b508b943.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180311/7b940bd3134104180760512ac4c3a233.jpg

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Pigmy Pony
14-03-2018, 16:58
Hi Graham,

Some of the later Kate Bush titles you mention go for eye-watering prices, so first off I would look at what they go for on ebay at close of auctions. There are a few on there right now.

Ste.

farflungstar
14-03-2018, 20:54
I'm looking forward to your list and would be interested in the Kate Bush albums.

GJO
15-03-2018, 08:34
Apologies for not updating this thread,but it's been a busy few weeks what with one thing or another.
I have many watches going on,on both the auction site Discdogs etc to get some idea of values.
When things settle down I will start a list.

Len Co
15-03-2018, 09:46
Plenty of good advice above, my thoughts below. Bear in mind I am not what you would call a 'dealer' but I do buy occasionally on eBay and Discogs.
Re. pricing - my feeling is you have to use the grades NM, VG etc. to the best of your honest ability, look on Discogs for similarly graded examples and decide if you want to hang out for top dollar or flog it reasonably quickly (or quickly).
Don't oversell as low ratings put people off. If you can't find a similar item then, like any any other merchandise, you are pretty much on your own. I imagine it's a bit of work to get a decent catalog set up and running!

GJO
15-03-2018, 10:06
Plenty of good advice above, my thoughts below. Bear in mind I am not what you would call a 'dealer' but I do buy occasionally on eBay and Discogs.
Re. pricing - my feeling is you have to use the grades NM, VG etc. to the best of your honest ability, look on Discogs for similarly graded examples and decide if you want to hang out for top dollar or flog it reasonably quickly (or quickly).
Don't oversell as low ratings put people off. If you can't find a similar item then, like any any other merchandise, you are pretty much on your own. I imagine it's a bit of work to get a decent catalog set up and running!

Have been learning a lot over the last few weeks and just end up more confused,I need to cull about 1K LP's,many I thought might be worthless seem to be collectable,think 1st issue Uriah Heep, Deep Purple etc most look fine but I need to play them as that will be the only way for me to asses the condition,I have the blue triangle DSOTM that doesn't visually look to good but plays fine.

Bigman80
15-03-2018, 10:43
Truth is, this is gonna be a time intensive exercise. No matter where you sell them, they need to be graded and that takes loads of time. Then you need to find an outlet. eBay has it's critics but i've 300+ feedback and NEVER had an issue. If i were you, sort them into piles in terms of condition, decide on a price for the separate grades and take them to The Audio Jumble at Tonbridge. The next one is months away so you have time. Could also open up your home to AoS members in your area to come and have a look with a view to purchase. OR Take a phono of the spines and list them on the Forum.

rdpx
15-03-2018, 13:38
Apologies for not updating this thread,but it's been a busy few weeks what with one thing or another.
I have many watches going on,on both the auction site Discdogs etc to get some idea of values.
When things settle down I will start a list.Are you aware of www.popsike.com ?

Searchable database of every eBay LP sale over about a tenner from the past ten years or so. It's very useful.

R

rdpx
15-03-2018, 13:50
... most look fine but I need to play them as that will be the only way for me to asses the condition...

If the record is valuable I'd say it's essential to listen to it, and make note of any faults and note these in the listing alongside your grade. (E.g. "15 consecutive light ticks at beginning of S1; otherwise perfect" or whatever)

By valuable I mean maybe above £40, although you will come to your own position on this. Personally if it's worth over a hundred I'll listen to it all the way through. If it's worth a fiver I don't really feel it's worth the time to listen to it. Inspect under strong light, specify visually graded.

It's easy to sell records worth £100+ but the less they are worth the harder they are to shift.

Records worth under a tenner are (I think) a pita to sell on eBay once you take into account the time it takes to make the listing, walk to post office, fees, etc. Then you get the worry that one buyer might decide to give you negative feedback because he thinks your EX grading is really an EX-, and all for £2.50 "profit".

Flashback Records near me in London will give 40% of what they will price things at. If you've got 1,000 to sell its worth considering something like that. Saves a lot of time...

R

Pigmy Pony
15-03-2018, 17:58
For tour lower priced records, how about booking a table at a record fair? The potential buyers can do their own visual grading, gets you off the hook. And while you're there you could look at what others are selling theirs for.

Of course there's the very real risk that you could come home with more vinyl than you started with!