PDA

View Full Version : I've got a new album out

Rothchild
04-03-2018, 20:08
This has been pretty much 10 years in the making, but at last it's seeing the light of day.

There's a whole lot of love and effort buried in amongst these tracks, so I'd be most grateful if you could give it a listen and let me know what you think.

https://theponycollaboration.bandcamp.com/album/everything-was-ages-ago

Epic indie pop, made with HiFi sensibilities, enjoy.

YNWaN
04-03-2018, 20:36
No vinyl version :(?

argyle
04-03-2018, 20:40
Have you listened to Baxter Dury - I hear similarities in a good way.

Rothchild
04-03-2018, 20:53
No vinyl version :(?

Alas not on this one. If we manage to shift a few digital copies I can make the push for it (as I really want a vinyl copy too) but right now it's digi only.

Rothchild
04-03-2018, 20:58
Have you listened to Baxter Dury - I hear similarities in a good way.

Thanks, that's a good thing, we like Baxter too. Indeed, we've started work on the 4th album (don't hold your breath!) and there's probably more in common with him on that one already.

The idea is that 'Everything was ages ago' is us doing the late 70's (and still in our Nick Drake meets Belle and Sebastian mode) whilst the new one will be more 80's pop inflected (and in about 15 years time we may do a d&b album ;-)) We're still an indie band but the sonics are moving around a bit to keep things interesting.

Rothchild
13-03-2018, 20:20
I'd love to hear some views on the sonics on this album from folk with competent HiFi setups (obviously I'd be delighted if you liked the music too!), it's expressly made to be as high an audio quality as possible, so likely folk 'round 'ere are in one of the better positions to judge if I've been able to achieve that.

Rothchild
16-03-2018, 14:18
Here's an audio challenge for you. the drums on this album were recorded in three distinct sessions in three different locations with differing microphone setups.

1. A pro recording studio with a blend of the best of mine and their microphones going through some pretty tasty equipment
2. In my living room with my mics (all pretty good stuff) through some decent gear (but noting esoteric)
3. In a north london rehursal room using my my mics again (in a different configuration) and my mobile rig which is competent but not exactly esoteric equipment

Can you hear which songs belong to which set?

Rothchild
16-03-2018, 18:58
Still no vinyl I'm afraid, but now available on a streaming platform near you:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1BD1xq4eBxxE3EMRLGAxW9?si=HXY9aIJeSFaX0-yS6JnrFw

Enjoy!

ReggieB
16-03-2018, 21:57
Good stuff. Felt compelled to buy all three albums.

Rothchild
17-03-2018, 07:21
Good stuff. Felt compelled to buy all three albums.

Top man. Thanks Rob.

Zoidburg
21-03-2018, 12:47
I've just found it on Tidal so will give it a listen later, il purchase a copy of its my sort of thing :)

Rothchild
21-03-2018, 18:31
Thanks Ben, keen to hear your thoughts and hoping you could let me know if the end of citizen Kane is ok on tidal, there a flub on the version on Spotify (ends too soon) that we’re working to get rectified, I’m just hoping it’s not borked on all platforms.

Is no one taking up the ‘which recordings belong to what sessions challenge’? I think it’s a great test of both the resolution of your system and your critical listening skills ��

Zoidburg
22-03-2018, 09:16
Thanks Ben, keen to hear your thoughts and hoping you could let me know if the end of citizen Kane is ok on tidal, there a flub on the version on Spotify (ends too soon) that we’re working to get rectified, I’m just hoping it’s not borked on all platforms.

Is no one taking up the ‘which recordings belong to what sessions challenge’? I think it’s a great test of both the resolution of your system and your critical listening skills ��

I'm 2 songs away from citizen Kane so il keep you posted, good stuff so far. I take it yours is the male voice? what else do you play?

Zoidburg
22-03-2018, 09:26

Sorry to say that citizen kane does seem to end abruptly unfortunately.

Rothchild
22-03-2018, 12:36
Thanks for the update Ben, unfortunately I have to assume it's broken on all streaming platforms (bugger!) looking in to how we can get it redistributed asap.

Glad you're enjoying it though! It's not me singing, that's James. My role is all the recording, editing and mixing along with a bit of percussion here and there and the contribution of daft ideas.

Do you have a favourite / standout track?

anthonyTD
22-03-2018, 13:50
A hint of Lou Reed on some of the tracks posibly ?
I like it! :)

Rothchild
22-03-2018, 18:36
Thanks for listening Anthony.

Not sure Lou Reed was a conscious reference but I do see what you mean, there is an overall 'gruff crooner' thing going on with shades of Lou Reed, Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen too.

Have you got a favourite track yet?