PDA

View Full Version : Phono amplifier or SUT problems

Jimbo
04-03-2018, 12:03
An interesting article for folk who may have noise issues with their phono amp or SUT

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/analog/troubleshooting-phono-amplifier-sut-noise/

argyle
04-03-2018, 12:27
Hey Jimbo, that's an interesting read. I find powerline adapters designed to extend the wired network are the main noise issue for me.

struth
04-03-2018, 12:31
so im told. ive got 2, but cant say ive noticed, although my gear all goes through a regenerator so that might remove a lot of it.

Jimbo
04-03-2018, 12:32
Hey Jimbo, that's an interesting read. I find powerline adapters designed to extend the wired network are the main noise issue for me.

I agree so I now have mine all plugged in directly to wall sockets. The problem with SUTs is their ability to pick up noise from other amplifiers nearby.

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 12:34
Hey Jimbo, that's an interesting read. I find powerline adapters designed to extend the wired network are the main noise issue for me.I've had a great result putting a ferrite bead/clamp on the power lead.

argyle
04-03-2018, 13:01
Cheers Oliver. I'll give that a go.

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 14:05
Cheers Oliver. I'll give that a go.No worries. It hasn't completely removed the noise but it's definitely better. The only way I've found to stop it is turn the blood powerline adapters off [emoji23]

Primalsea
04-03-2018, 14:27
When I built my phono stage and head amp I had to pay careful consideration to the grounding scheme. In the end I installed a switch on the phono amp that either connects the chassis ground to the signal ground or to an earthing post so that the chassis can be grounded by a separate lead that can connect to another chassis ground or the mains ground. The head amp chassis is separate from the signal ground and has it’s own binding post that connects to the mains earth.

Before I had sorted this out fully I placed the head amp on a baking tray that was connected to mains earth. This was quite effective for airbourne rfi/emi. I think that powerline adapters will always be an issue as they work by injecting high frequency signal, which in terms of hifi is to be considered noise, onto the mains and I imagine that they also dump quite a bit of noise onto the mains earth, which makes filtering noise more difficult.

I also use one of those BT mains conditioning units to separate the SMPS of my NAS drive from the rest of my hifi equipment. This really seems to help. They tend to buzz quite a bit but I have discovered that this can be solved by removing the lid, which is quite resonant, and removing the transformer from the chassis and reinstalling it with a peice a foam underneath in order to provide some mechanical isolation. Also tightened up the bolts on the transformer that clamp the laminations together. It is silent now.

argyle
04-03-2018, 15:08
No worries. It hasn't completely removed the noise but it's definitely better. The only way I've found to stop it is turn the blood powerline adapters off [emoji23]

The thing is, they (the powerline adapter) can't go on the equipment side of a mains filter due to loss of the data riding on the back of the mains. I'll be looking for a better option longer term.

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 15:13
The thing is, they (the powerline adapter) can't go on the equipment side of a mains filter due to loss of the data riding on the back of the mains. I'll be looking for a better option longer term.I know, other than a hardwired connection, I'm not sure what can be done