PDA

View Full Version : Pickering / Stanton - is there a relationship?

GrahamS
03-03-2018, 19:03
Can anyone tell me what the relationship is/was between Pickering and Stanton pickup cartridges? The body of the cartridges looks to be the same, only the stylus seems to be different.

struth
03-03-2018, 19:29
A guy called Walter Stanton bought Pickering in 1950's who were a component co., then later(about 10 years) started stanton magnetic as well. hence they use similar stuff.

GrahamS
03-03-2018, 21:59
A guy called Walter Stanton bought Pickering in 1950's who were a component co., then later(about 10 years) started stanton magnetic as well. hence they use similar stuff.
So similar that their stili are interchangeable?

Shovel_Knight
03-03-2018, 22:21
Yes, the styli are interchangeable between matching series of Stanton and Pickering cartridges.

For example, Pickering XV15 and Stanton 680/681 are really the same body. The same is true for Stanton 500 and Pickering V15. Pickering XSV3000 is the same as Stanton 880/881, etc.

GrahamS
04-03-2018, 10:02
Yes, the styli are interchangeable between matching series of Stanton and Pickering cartridges.

For example, Pickering XV15 and Stanton 680/681 are really the same body. The same is true for Stanton 500 and Pickering V15. Pickering XSV3000 is the same as Stanton 880/881, etc.

That confirms what I suspected. It's only the stylus that is different. I was under the impression that the Stanton was made for tougher working conditions such as broadcast, disco, club, etc while the Pickering was for audiophile or domestic use.

Shovel_Knight
04-03-2018, 15:08
That confirms what I suspected. It's only the stylus that is different. I was under the impression that the Stanton was made for tougher working conditions such as broadcast, disco, club, etc while the Pickering was for audiophile or domestic use.

Actually, the styli are more or less the same as well, but the styling of the stylus grips is different.

Stanton did produce a line of “calibration standard” cartridges which were individually measured at the factory and guaranteed to have a certain response under certain conditions. These were intended for broadcast applications. For example, 681 is the “calibration standard” version of 680. Oh, and Stanton 500 is probably the best known DJ cartridge ever. Otherwise they were about as rugged as their Pickering counterparts.

GrahamS
04-03-2018, 15:11
Actually, the styli are more or less the same as well, but the styling of the stylus grips is different.

Stanton did produce a line of “calibration standard” cartridges which were individually measured at the factory at guaranteed to have a certain response under certain conditions. These were intended for broadcast applications. For example, 681 is the “calibration standard” version of 680. Oh, and Stanton 500 is probably the best known DJ cartridge ever. Otherwise they were about as rugged as their Pickering counterparts.

Thanks, Pavel, for the info.

Shovel_Knight
04-03-2018, 15:15
I have a very nice Stanton 681 lying somewhere, it's a pity the original stylus is borked and genuine replacements are no longer available. Unfortunately, Jico doesn't produce SAS styli for Stanton/Pickering, and all their elliptical offerings are just 0.3x0.7 bonded stones...

GrahamS
04-03-2018, 18:20
I have a very nice Stanton D681 lying somewhere, it's a pity the original stylus is borked and the genuine replacements are no longer available. Unfortunately, Jico doesn't produce SAS styli for Stanton/Pickering, and all their elliptical offerings are just 0.3x0.7 bonded stones...
That is a shame.