PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable review

pwood
10-03-2010, 16:02
I have only had the cables installed since Friday so run in is not complete.

Comparing with Linn K400 or Ecosse ES4.45. The Ecosse cable is a bi-wire cable and I tried it using single runs of either the multi strand or solid core sections. In my current system the sound is cleaner and less prone to sibilance without dulling down the sound (Linn). Soundstage is the biggest improvement more depth and focus to everything with vocals especially being more out in the room and centralized. Bass performance is more defined with less overhang. Initially this can appear as less BASS until you try following bass lines and note the lines are easier to pick out and as a result have more attack.

The only issue (not really an issue ;)I can find is the battleship build quality of the cable and plugs which require some space behind your rack and place a strain on cheapo binding posts (count the 875 in on that) found on some amps. The 875 cannot take spades only bare and banana plugs but I managed to get a fit so not an issue really.

One of the best bargains (http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=589&zenid=lpm976dh7si67j1ntgiu3p3me4) in hifi if you ask me.

Good honest service from Dave as well.

pwood
16-03-2010, 00:31
Anyone else that has them care to add their thoughts:cool:

twelvebears
16-03-2010, 10:04
Anyone else that has them care to add their thoughts:cool:

Hi Paul.

Have previously posted a similar report you yourself when I first received my Black Mamba's some time back.

Both the sound and build of these cables really fall into the 'almost too good to believe' or even 'must have fallen of the back of a lorry' value category.

Your one 'criticism' is certainly true. You could not use these cable with cheapo weedy amps or speakers unless you want the binding posts snapped off or the component to be half suspended from the end of the cables!

When I think about how similar they are in terms of construction to the Kimber Bi-Focal XLs I used to own, I shudder and the difference in cost! :doh:

Steve Toy
16-03-2010, 10:08
They have been in my system since 2008 and bettered the rather expensive Chord Epic Twin notably for bass weight and coherence. I believe Anthony TD also uses them in his system.

The Vinyl Adventure
16-03-2010, 10:12
I'm tempted because of how dog proof they look :)
are you still using yours steve? Could I get a demo of them in my system next week?

Steve Toy
16-03-2010, 10:45
Yup, I'll bring them down.

The Vinyl Adventure
16-03-2010, 10:49
Nice one buddy, did you see the tangle mine are getting in? It's driving me nuts! They are completly fine if I pull them out and straighten them, but as soon as I put them back murphy gets tangled in them again and pulls them out, it's enough to drive ya barmy!!

HighFidelityGuy
16-03-2010, 11:05
I ordered some last week and installed them last night.
I had some difficulties getting them to fit due to their thickness and the fact that they're a bit longer than what I require. I still need to do some tweaking to neaten them up but I've got them working with the spade connectors at the moment. I mainly got them as the NVA LS5 I currently have is now a bit too short since I got a new rack, so I thought I may as well try the Black Mamba as at 2.5M it's plenty long enough for my needs and quite a bit cheaper than an equivalent length of LS5. Plus it seemed to be getting a lot of praise.

I love the packaging and general attention to detail in the product. Everything looks very well made and has a quality feel.
I must say though that I don't really understand why the cable had to be so thick as most of the diameter is taken up my extra layers of sheathing. I'm no cable expert but I doubt this helps the sound quality. It just makes the cable more difficult to work with but I guess it will provide some extra protection against knocks and abrasion. I also have a bit of a problem with the connector design as I don't like the idea of the screw on ends breaking the signal path. This must be detrimental to the sound and personally I would have preferred standard fixed spades or bananas. It does however make the cables more useful to a wider range of people, so I can understand why they're there. Also, on the subject of the spade connectors, I like the chunkiness of them and they are a the perfect size to fit the terminals on my amp and speakers. However, as the spades have a shiny polished surface I found it very difficult to get the binding posts tight enough to stop them moving around. It seemed that no matter how tight I screwed down the binding post, the spades still moved around a bit inside. Perhaps the banana plugs will make a firmer contact. If there's ever a second revision of the Mambas, a textured surface to the spades would be a welcome addition to help them grip better.

Upon first listening to some music through the Mambas my first thought was that I couldn't tell any difference between them and the LS5. After a little more listening I think I may have lost a little bass clarity as the bass guitar in one of my test tracks seemed a bit more muddy and more difficult to follow. Other than that I couldn't tell any obvious differences. I'm guessing the Mambas will improve as they run in so I'm hoping this shortcoming will disappear soon. :scratch: I guess it's possible that the Mambas are letting a bit more bass though which is interacting badly with my room acoustics. I'm getting some room treatment soon so I'll be able to test that theory out eventually.

The NVA LS5 is excellent cable and as I've already mentioned it costs more than the Black Mamba. So the fact that the Mamba appears to sound similar shows what good value for money it is. Perhaps it was my frustration at not being able to get them installed as well as I had hoped that clouded my judgement. Or perhaps it was the thought in the back of my mind that they cost less than the LS5 and are made of less exotic materials. Who knows. I did start out with an open mind though and was kind of hoping they would be better than the LS5 so I could save some cash. :scratch:

I'll swap to the banana connectors tonight and then let them burn in for a few days before I do some further comparisons.

Has anyone noticed that their Mambas improved over time in any particular areas? Also, if anyone else has compared Black Mambas against any NVA speaker cables I'd be interested to hear your findings. :)

Cheers.

The Vinyl Adventure
16-03-2010, 11:09
yes id be interested too, especially as if i buy some they will also be replacing nva cable (all be it ls1)

Steve Toy
16-03-2010, 11:13
I didn't notice tbh. I guess I was more focused on the rack. Have you put it back up yet?

The Vinyl Adventure
16-03-2010, 11:21
yeah... its a bit slap dash at the mo though as i shuld be getting the turntable back in a couple of weeks so i will do it properly then... its built correctly ... its just not leveled yet
did you notice this

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5763

Steve Toy
16-03-2010, 12:33
I've just seen it. That Mike Homar coax lead is rather good I must say.

Hopefully I can get the bass lightness addressed somehow with my DAC. Perhaps a touch of opamp rolling may do the trick.

The Vinyl Adventure
16-03-2010, 12:50
just buy some pmc's ;)

Steve Toy
16-03-2010, 13:19
Er, I have come to realise it is my DAC not my speakers that lack bass. Having heard your DAC the last time it was here just after having the gain reduced as well as hearing the Audiocom modded Sony DAC confirmed that the Hecos I use may be able to show the PMCs a few bass tricks as well as openness in the mid and top end.

I've come to realise that I like the Hecos. A lot.

The Vinyl Adventure
16-03-2010, 14:40
good to hear, i guess you not able to listen to the copper one without your pre?

Steve Toy
17-03-2010, 02:08
good to hear, i guess you not able to listen to the copper one without your pre?

Correct. The volume control on the CD transport only controls the DAC output within.

HighFidelityGuy
17-03-2010, 10:53
Just to give a quick update on my Mamba experience:
I swapped the spades for the banana plugs last night. I found they made a really nice tight fit in my binding posts and made the cables much easier to work with. They also allowed me to arrange the cables more tidily. I really should have used these from the start but I wanted to try spades for a change to see how well they worked with my binding posts. I certainly won't use spades in the future. I thought they might give a more reliable and stronger contact but that just doesn't seem to be the case.

It's difficult to say whether or not I'm now getting a better sound but I can certainly hear plenty of subtle detail coming through. Unfortunately I didn't get chance to do any serious listening.

The banana connectors will also make swapping between the Mamba and my NVA cables much quicker and easier, so I'll be able to do a much more accurate comparison between the two once the Mambas have run in.

pwood
18-03-2010, 00:31
I found the sound opens up over time in terms of image depth. Mine are 2 weeks old now.

I found the same issue with the spades, my amp wont take spades so tried the speakers and was worried they would slip over time so went with the banana plug which was a tight fit.

HighFidelityGuy
31-07-2010, 13:08
I said that I'd provide some details about the differences in sound between my Black Mamba cables and NVA LS5 cables once I'd let the Black Mamba's run in for a couple of weeks. Well that didn't work out quite to plan as I've only just got round to doing a comparison over 4 months later. :doh: On the plus side I know the Black Mamba is well and truly run in now. ;)

So just to recap, when I first tried out the Black Mamba I thought that it sounded pretty much the same as the LS5 but there seemed to be a difference in the bass that I couldn't decide if was better or worse. So to try the LS5 again I swapped back to it and lived with it for a week.Over that week I felt that the tonal balance had shifted towards the higher frequencies, with slightly less bass punch and slightly more sibilance at the top end.

Swapping back to the Black Mamba this morning the bass punch was back and the sibilance gone. The level of detail in the sound seemed to be the same between both cables. So I'm definitely sticking with the Black Mamba for now as it seems to match better with my system and ears.

Hopefully this will help other people to decide which of these excellent cables might suite their needs the best. :)

quadsugdenman
31-07-2010, 13:49
I have been running the Black Mambas for over six weeks. They have improved immensley over that time. Initially they seemed to lack detail if not a tad light in the upper frequencies compared to my old QED Silver and Ortofon Copper speaker cables.
I have since tried them with the Antique Sound Lab monos, Quad 909 and my Croft Series 7 using identical sources both vinyl and digital. They certainly have improved the clarity and separation of the 909 which can sound 'muddy', lack tonal definition and position sometimes. However the whole valve/Hybrid sound is even smoother, more articulate with each instrument's position in the mix identifiable and the tonal balance improved. I think the bass depth has also improved with the mid range calarity and upper frequencies extended.
All in all, excellent value for money. Thanks to Marco and ColinB for recommending them to me :)

Barry
31-07-2010, 22:08
I have been running the Black Mambas for over six weeks. They have improved immensely over that time. Initially they seemed to lack detail if not a tad light in the upper frequencies compared to my old QED Silver and Ortofon Copper speaker cables.
I have since tried them with the Antique Sound Lab monos, Quad 909 and my Croft Series 7 using identical sources both vinyl and digital. They certainly have improved the clarity and separation of the 909 which can sound 'muddy', lack tonal definition and position sometimes. However the whole valve/Hybrid sound is even smoother, more articulate with each instrument's position in the mix identifiable and the tonal balance improved. I think the bass depth has also improved with the mid range calarity and upper frequencies extended.
All in all, excellent value for money. Thanks to Marco and ColinB for recommending them to me :)

Sounds like this should go in the 'Cable burning' thread.

Still don't understand how a new speaker cable can make up for the shortcomings of a power amp, unless the previous cables were utter rubbish (in your case this would seem to suggest they had a high resistance).

Regards

quadsugdenman
31-07-2010, 23:59
Yes Barry you are correct. However this was tacked on to a thread on the Mambas by Highfidelityguy (Dave) that appeared here. I was just reporting my findings using the different power amps with the Mamba cable. Nonetheless there was a perceived difference over the QED and Ortofon cables for whatever reason

Effem
18-10-2010, 07:37
I still have a pair of Black Mambas in my system after 2.5 years and that really is a record for me :eyebrows:

Bear in mind too that I have had some really esoteric speaker cables over the years including some top end Audio Note at frightening price levels, yet even with those I had reservations about the sound I was getting, whereas with the Mambas there are none - they do their job perfectly.

Even after 2.5 years I can't find anything about them to criticise sound quality wise, although the banana plugs don't have anywhere near enough grip for my liking and changing them without ruining the cable means I will put up with them a while longer before I get the soldering out.

Initially I did have problems with the spade/banana attachment threads loosening up over time, that was until I applied a drop of Loctite to stop that.

chris@panteg
18-10-2010, 10:14
I have been very tempted to buy a set ' but i have been using Hitachi 102ssx for 14 years and there is now't wrong with it.

I had a close look at a set of Black mamba's at Whittlebury' they are superbly made.

baron
19-10-2010, 19:59
I picked up 2 pairs of Black Mambas at the from Stamford Audio at Whittlebury Hall.
They are being used on the main system and the classic system. Very pleased with the results so far.

Afrojoe
10-12-2010, 20:16
As a newly self proclaimed audiophile I have just made a jump from cheap speaker cables to the Black Mamba cables. First off I have a very limited and cost effective system. My amp is a Pioneer 1020. I'm using a tube preamp buffer out of China called the SD-CD 3by Yaoin with some Russian 1970s 6SN7 tubes in situ. I use a Maverick D1 audio DAC to take 96/24 files from my Dell XPS laptop to the system. For speakers I use the Polk RSi A7 in a Bi Amped config. I couldn't buy everything at once so I've been building slowly and have added an Ultra Power grid along with audiophile Sonar PEX2 platinum power cables and Indeed/ RCA connectors. I've topped the system off with a couple pairs of Sterling's Black Mamba speaker cables with banana connectors at both ends. To be honest I've been adding to my system at a rather quick pace over the past few months so all my equipment has not had proper burn in time. However, I can speak for what I hear now. I was using some cheaper USA made cables I bought off eBay for $50 in a bi amped config. At first I only bought one pair of Black Mambas and put them in the mid to high connection on my Polk speakers. Immediately I heard a more clear and precise sound from my system. It's like sheets were taken off my speakers and I could hear them more clearly. I called my wife who is not an audiophile but does enjoy music....after a few seconds of listening she couldn't believe the improvement of sound. I was so sold that I ordered another pair for the mid bass connectors on the polk speakers. I received them only two days ago and have been using them since. I can only describe the sound as open...uncolored...and clear. The detail is unshaded and open. These Polk speakers with the Black Mamba cables in bi amp config really allow my set up to reach its full stride with ease. My next step is to change out my tubes for some different gold connector tubes with a different plate and getter configurations. I know the bottle neck in my system is the Pioneer 1020k and an Elite system would improve the quality overall. However, I do enjoy the sound at this point and what brought it to this point was the Black Mamba cables. I know all systems are different and we all have tastes that differ. For me I can't praise the Sterling cable company enough for the high quality cables they make and distribute. On a budget and relatively new to this audiophilic world...I would still put my money down on another set of these well made...perfectly balanced speaker cables. Somebody...prove me wrong!

pwood
10-12-2010, 20:55
Welcome to the forum. Glad you like the cables which are one of the best bargains in HiFi.

Techno Commander
19-04-2011, 11:10
I just had a pair delivered. :)
#^*$ me, they're heavy.:eek:

Gazjam
19-04-2011, 18:53
Have a set of these, need to upgrade the hifi before I think about changing these!

One thing though..the screw in banana plugs?
I had some problems with them loosening off as well as them easily slipping out the sockets of a couple of amps I've tried them with, though they are fine with my current amp.
I think they are maybe slightly smaller than 4mm?

I have a set of THESE:
http://www.priceninja.com/banana-plugs-gold-plated-2750797-p.asp
which could be soldered in?

Any advantage over whats fitted as standard?

Or what about these?
http://www.asia.ru/images/img/57095/BP-208CG.jpg

Effem
19-04-2011, 19:28
Have a set of these, need to upgrade the hifi before I think about changing these!

One thing though..the screw in banana plugs?
I had some problems with them loosening off as well as them easily slipping out the sockets of a couple of amps I've tried them with, though they are fine with my current amp.
I think they are maybe slightly smaller than 4mm?

I have a set of THESE:
http://www.priceninja.com/banana-plugs-gold-plated-2750797-p.asp
which could be soldered in?

Any advantage over whats fitted as standard?

Or what about these?

I had the same problem with the screw-on terminals coming loose over time, which I cured with some shakeproof washers - £0.20p from the local hardware store. A drop of Loctite on the threads could also work well.

You can gently lift the splines on the banana plugs with a small screwdriver and maybe slip a small length of thin copper wire under a couple of the splines to make it fit tighter into the socket. A bit fiddly perhaps but it is a permanent solution for any banana plugs with splines.

"Z" plugs are better than the vast majority of inexpensive 4mm banana plugs.

Gazjam
19-04-2011, 21:44
Cheers Frank.

:)

pwood
05-09-2013, 14:29
I am still using my K400 for the centre speaker and would like to use a meter of this stuff but you cant get a meter on its own unterminated. Does anyone know what would be a comparable substitute. I cant terminate at the speaker end as there is no space behind the centre speaker so need to go through the binding post from the bottom.

Oh and forgive me I havent posted in a while probably in part to great purchases like the Black mambas I tend to just listen and have finally given up on upgrade ittis:)

Puffin
05-09-2013, 17:46
I tend to just listen and have finally given up on upgrade ittis:)

:gig::gig: Give than man a shandy! More sense being talked.

I have had some BM cables for a few years now. I put them in the system and they are still there now. No messing about any more - these do exactly what it says on the tin.

I got mine from an outfit called something like Greenhome Electroncis in Berkshire -

Jeez what a mammary I have

http://www.greenhomeelectronics.co.uk/

See if they have got any off-cuts.

Rob.

julesd68
05-09-2013, 19:43
I had a pair of these a few years ago - they were so heavy they nearly took the speakers off the stands!!

Gazjam
05-09-2013, 20:47
used to run the mamba's with a set of Temple mono's.
Lifted the wee amps off the shelf! :)

cracking cable, can tow your car with it too which is cool.

pwood
06-09-2013, 12:20
:gig::gig: Give than man a shandy! More sense being talked.

I have had some BM cables for a few years now. I put them in the system and they are still there now. No messing about any more - these do exactly what it says on the tin.

I got mine from an outfit called something like Greenhome Electroncis in Berkshire -

Jeez what a mammary I have

http://www.greenhomeelectronics.co.uk/

See if they have got any off-cuts.

Rob.

I called them a while back and he only does the 2.5m pair (bought in ready made)due to hand problems cant terminate cables easily. I may just buy a meter length of studio grade 6mm Van dam as its not a lot of dosh.