PDA

View Full Version : Crap Weather For March!

Pages : [1] 2

walpurgis
01-03-2018, 08:37
Well it is! Definitely crap weather. Around -3C and still snowing lightly.

Macca
01-03-2018, 08:39
Snowing and minus 6 here and wind is getting up to gale force. Managed to get into work though, unfortunately.

Jimbo
01-03-2018, 08:44
Only just managed to get into work, not sure about getting out!

walpurgis
01-03-2018, 08:54
I managed to get up. No work to worry about, no need to go out either, but I probably will.

Firebottle
01-03-2018, 09:03
Was going to a fly-in for the weekend but it has been cancelled - bummer.

Just have to stay in the house and keep warm instead.

struth
01-03-2018, 09:39
should have put this here.......

still snowing..lol saw an intrepid adventurer battling up middle of rd on foot.

Jimbo
01-03-2018, 09:49
should have put this here.......

still snowing..lol saw an intrepid adventurer battling up middle of rd on foot.

Brian said it was bad even for Scotland yesterday. He had 3 foot of snow!

Tim
01-03-2018, 10:09
It's -5 in South Wales and snowing, I'm right by the sea and that doesn't happen too often.

I've decided to take the day off, stay indoors and play some toons :D

struth
01-03-2018, 10:13
Brian said it was bad even for Scotland yesterday. He had 3 foot of snow!

aye its drifting in places too which makes it worse. was to get my meds delivered today but that wont happen. just have to spend more time in bed. time for some cheery summer tunes to warm me up

struth
01-03-2018, 10:14
cleaned the cooker tho, so alls not lost

willbewill
01-03-2018, 10:20
Coldest it's been here, it was bitter walking the dog this morning, I don't often get a cold face but I did today. My Finnish friends are finding us very funny at the moment - one of them posted a pic yesterday of a guy waiting at a station in -25C ...wearing shorts.

Macca
01-03-2018, 11:41
I walked passed a bloke who was wearing shorts and t shirt yesterday. Not sure what he was trying to prove, although he did not look like he was feeling the cold. Possibly he was an ex-pat Geordie, impossible to tell until they speak.

hifi_dave
01-03-2018, 11:44
Saw a chap in Cambridge on Tuesday with not a lot on. OK, it wasn't quite so cold then but it was snowing and he had nothing on his top half except a leather Cowboy hat. He had big boots, combat trousers and lots of tattoos and shoulder length hair but was bare chested. How, why ???

struth
01-03-2018, 11:47
some folk just like to show how tough they are., dont realise it just shows how stupid they are

Tim
01-03-2018, 12:05
Ah, but there might be a flip side to that Grant - I often where shorts year round (not right now though!), people often comment and say I'm mad, but I quite like people thinking I'm mad :eyebrows:

spendorman
01-03-2018, 12:24
Had to use Volvosaurus yesterday, (1989 Volvo 340), not been used for about two weeks, started OK. Had to give elderly neighbour (83) a lift back home as it was too dangerous for him to walk. Car is very good in the snow and ice even though it's rear wheel drive, reason being, engine is at front, gearbox etc at back of car, therefore weight distribution is pretty good.

Nice heater too, and electrically heated seats.

montesquieu
01-03-2018, 12:50
Saw a chap in Cambridge on Tuesday with not a lot on. OK, it wasn't quite so cold then but it was snowing and he had nothing on his top half except a leather Cowboy hat. He had big boots, combat trousers and lots of tattoos and shoulder length hair but was bare chested. How, why ???

Putin fan.

Macca
01-03-2018, 12:53
Volvosaurus .

Classic.

Beobloke
01-03-2018, 13:09
Finally got a light dusting of snow down in Hampshire this morning and it's starting again now with the threat that it's going to carry on for the rest of the day. I'd be fine with this, except I have to go to Heathrow this evening to collect Mrs. B and, since the sale of my beloved Range Rover, only have the choice of two RWD cars that don't particularly like snow!

Thinking about it, I'll probably choose her car, partly because it has more tread on its tyres than mine, but mainly because it has heated seats...

southall-1998
01-03-2018, 15:54
Snow in Torquay.

S.

montesquieu
01-03-2018, 16:07
Berkshire side of Berks-Hants border ... front and back.

https://i.imgur.com/RxLMjhV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gdonTjN.jpg

struth
01-03-2018, 16:08
That's not a knife. This is a knife. Lol

struth
01-03-2018, 16:13
been snowing hard again for last hr.. as if we dont have enough already

walpurgis
01-03-2018, 16:25
That's not a knife. This is a knife. Lol

So's this!

http://i67.tinypic.com/34q1sus.jpg

willbewill
01-03-2018, 16:54
https://scontent.fbhx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28471835_1086936934780226_5242683994703768165_n.jp g?oh=f9f8e735be1f4b38a7ddbae4d5f36960&oe=5B124F63

amati74(Artur)
01-03-2018, 17:25
I like that wether, just it is winter. In belfast is 0°c and strong wind.

Marco
01-03-2018, 17:28
Hi Artur, is Belfast where you're living? :)

Marco.

Macca
01-03-2018, 17:36
This must be the crappest weather since the crap weather threads started several years ago.

Just got home from work, feel like Scott of the Antarctic would have felt if he'd found that last supply dump.

Marco
01-03-2018, 18:04
Ach, it's just a WEE BIT OF SNOW, no drama needed!! :ner::eyebrows:

Well, that's what you said yesterday.....

Marco.

Macca
01-03-2018, 18:37
It is just a wee bit of snow, at least round here. Most of the schools are shut of course and no doubt most of the rest of the public sector are taking a snow day too so the roads are very quiet.

It is, however, blisteringly cold and the wind is gale force. Walking half a mile in that, even fully togged up, is not pleasant.

Marco
01-03-2018, 18:39
I know, I was out in it earlier (fully togged up), doing my daily power walk! But, I cut it short today to 3 miles.

However, it's clearly not just a "wee bit of snow" for all those unfortunate enough to be stranded in their cars on motorways overnight, which was really my point.

Marco.

Macca
01-03-2018, 18:53
Has that happened? I've not seen the news. Anyway like I say in this area there is not really any snow to speak of. No need to shut the schools IMO. That never happened in my day. In 14 years at school the school closed one time for one day. Much worse conditions than this, and that was only because they had run out of oil for the heating. We'd been in the previous day and the conditions were as bad then.

Also you had to stand around freezing your arse off in the yard, as they didn't let you in the building until 0855. Not allowed to do that now. All today's children will grow up to be little softies, with shit music and 'meet me at McDonalds' haircuts. (Looks like 'The Thompson Twins' but gone even wronger). God help us if we have another war.

amati74(Artur)
01-03-2018, 19:12
Hi Artur, is Belfast where you're living? :)

Marco.East Belfast Dundonald. Nice place
[emoji3]

Marco
01-03-2018, 19:38
Has that happened? I've not seen the news.

Of course, especially down south in Kent and up in Scotland. You don't drive, so are probably out of touch with what's happening on the roads elsewhere.

No need to shut the schools IMO. That never happened in my day. In 14 years at school the school closed one time for one day. Much worse conditions than this, and that was only because they had run out of oil for the heating.

It was different then where I was in Glasgow. The schools used to run out of oil all the time, or the heating would pack in, so we used to get days off school, or get sent home early quite often - and it was great, one of the best feelings ever! :)

All today's children will grow up to be little softies, with shit music and 'meet me at McDonalds' haircuts. (Looks like 'The Thompson Twins' but gone even wronger). God help us if we have another war.

That I do agree with.

Marco.

Marco
01-03-2018, 19:39
East Belfast Dundonald. Nice place
[emoji3]

Bet it is, and rather snowy too now, I'd imagine! :)

Marco.

Shovel_Knight
01-03-2018, 20:43
It’s been snowing non-stop since yesterday’s evening. We probably already have about 35-40 cm of snow on the ground.

amati74(Artur)
01-03-2018, 20:46
Bet it is, and rather snowy too now, I'd imagine! :)

Marco.It was a snowstorm in the morning, but it was beautiful.[emoji944]️

amati74(Artur)
01-03-2018, 20:48
This weather is a perfect time to listening a music on my turntable [emoji3][emoji3]
Today I was listening of fusion jazz

amati74(Artur)
01-03-2018, 20:55
It’s been snowing non-stop since yesterday’s evening. We probably already have about 35-40 cm of snow on the ground.And where do you live?

Shovel_Knight
01-03-2018, 20:58
Dublin

Marco
01-03-2018, 21:27
It was a snowstorm in the morning, but it was beautiful.[emoji944]️

Ah, a fellow man with taste who also loves the snow! :respect:

Marco.

amati74(Artur)
01-03-2018, 22:13
Ah, a fellow man with taste who also loves the snow! :respect:

Marco.[emoji3]

RobbieGong
01-03-2018, 22:23
I love it when I'm indoors cosy and not stuck in it ;)

Marco
01-03-2018, 22:55
Same here! And less folk would get stuck in the snow, and there would be less traffic chaos on motorways, if they heeded the severe weather warnings, which aren't given out for the good of the weather announcer's health, before driving their cars on the road!! ;)

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
02-03-2018, 08:45
Blizzard conditions from late afternoon and well into the night here. This morning freezing rain making every surface glazed with ice.

It's impossible to get out as it's far too dangerous, for me anyway, in these sort of severe conditions.

It's bloody horrible with the wind making it feel a lot colder than the air temperature.

Don't like it one bit! :(

Macca
02-03-2018, 08:55
The wind is killer today. Could blow you off your feet.

Jimbo
02-03-2018, 09:02
Our factory is shut as all routes are now impassable. They should have shut it earlier but oh no let's wait till it gets really bad! Folk had to abandon cars and some had to be towed out of snow drifts. All because the management could not make the right decision! Today even the A41 is shut by huge snow drifts with snow blowing off the fields.

struth
02-03-2018, 09:06
had worst of the wind last night, but is still blowing a fair bit, mostly in gusts. The amber alert is still on but dropping soon to yellow.

brian2957
02-03-2018, 09:14
We're still snowed in here too . Problem is that it looks like staying at around zero degrees here , so no thaw on the cards anytime soon .

Beobloke
02-03-2018, 09:25
Collected Mrs. B last night and got within half a mile of our house before getting stuck in a snowdrift right across the road. We had to abandon the car and walk home. It took a Discovery with a tow rope and a tractor with a snowplough to get it moving again this morning!

I want my Range Rover back!! [emoji20]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

walpurgis
02-03-2018, 09:32
Give it six weeks and everybody'll be moaning about the undue warmth. :)

Marco
02-03-2018, 09:34
Our factory is shut as all routes are now impassable. They should have shut it earlier but oh no let's wait till it gets really bad! Folk had to abandon cars and some had to be towed out of snow drifts. All because the management could not make the right decision!

Blithering idiots... That's sometimes Jim, when you have to make the decision for them, and simply not turn up! No way would I take a car onto the road in some of the conditions being reported here. Ultimately I'd value my safety (or life) more than my job...!

Marco.

Marco
02-03-2018, 09:37
Give it six weeks and everybody'll be moaning about the undue warmth. :)

Moaning - who's moaning?;)

Unless you *have* to be out in this weather for some reason, I don't see what the problem is? Stay indoors, turn on the heating, put your feet up and stick some sounds on, or a good film - and chillax! :exactly:

What's not to like? It'll give some folk a chance for a change to relax and de-stress, and not rush around the place like a headless chicken.....

Marco.

willbewill
02-03-2018, 10:12
It's weird, we still haven't got snow here, are we the only ones?

walpurgis
02-03-2018, 10:23
It's weird, we still haven't got snow here, are we the only ones?

You're just jealous. :D

Shovel_Knight
02-03-2018, 10:53
Still snowing heavily, but the temperatures are slowly rising — I think we’re in for a very wet weekend

prestonchipfryer
02-03-2018, 11:27
Markedly milder here within the past half-hour. Still a cold wind though and everywhere covered in a sheet of ice. Kids out and about with sleds. No fun for us oldies though. :)

Marco
02-03-2018, 11:40
Markedly milder here within the past half-hour.

Same here, which I wasn't expecting. Seems to be a gradual thaw on...

Anyway, the college where my wife works is closed today, because of heavy snow drifting, so I'm enjoying some time with her I wouldn't otherwise have had - and she gets a long weekend out of it, too! Happy days :cool:

Marco.

struth
02-03-2018, 11:41
still icy here. wind still gusty too. almost no-one driving in scheme but it is passable

prestonchipfryer
02-03-2018, 12:18
Same here, which I wasn't expecting. Seems to be a gradual thaw on...

Anyway, the college where my wife works is closed today, because of heavy snow drifting, so I'm enjoying some time with her I wouldn't otherwise have had - and she gets a long weekend out of it, too! Happy days :cool:

Marco.

Yes we are cosy and warm and watching our neighbour trying to de-ice his car. Quite where he's going though is a concern as the roads are just sheets of ice. I've never seen these sort of conditions, not even in 1963 when Weymouth was cut off for days. Freezing rain is dangerous and TBH I'll be happy when it clears.

The temperature has dropped again and the sky is darkening. Perhaps more snow? :)

datdad
02-03-2018, 12:20
Cold today in London N19 Holloway, no more snow over night. Side roads drivable & walkable, main road open but slow & careful. Some paths gritted on way to our local Tube station even.
Yesterday going for an Xray at UC Hospital on the Euston Road found the usually busy department almost deserted. No 45 mins wait, a nice surprise.
Could be worse.
Due to go to Manchester tomorrow for a meeting, Virgin train seems to be working in that direction.
So turn the heating up , close the doors and listen to my new (to me) Nic Jones CDs .:) Oh and catch up with the AOS postings.

Marco
02-03-2018, 12:23
Hear, hear, Huw..

Now there's a man after my own heart, with a positive outlook on life!:thumbsup:

Always count your blessings, not your misfortunes, and strap a SMILE on, not a scowl:)

Marco.

hifi_dave
02-03-2018, 13:54
Just got back from lunch at a local eatery. The car park is facing the fields and the combination of very strong, icy cold wind and compacted snow in the car park made for a very slithery entrance. I found it difficult to stay upright..:eek:

On the way home, it stared to rain or sleet and that froze right away on the windscreen. Not nice out there.

walpurgis
02-03-2018, 15:46
Not much sign of a thaw yet. It's snowing steadily and gone down a degree.

struth
02-03-2018, 15:48
not going to start thawing up here til tuesday at earliest

Jimbo
02-03-2018, 15:58
Blithering idiots... That's sometimes Jim, when you have to make the decision for them, and simply not turn up! No way would I take a car onto the road in some of the conditions being reported here. Ultimately I'd value my safety (or life) more than my job...!

Marco.

Sense eventually prevailed -Factory shut today. I know a few folk were really scared last night as it is in the middle of nowhere and what should have been a 20 minute journey turned into a 4 hour expedition!:eek:

The huge snowdrifts closed the A41 this morning, should have been shut last night. The anxiety and worry driving in this weather, never mind the possibility of having an accident makes the whole experience a nightmare.

I think safety should be paramount but there is always someone who manages to get into work and then smugly wonders why everyone else has not turned up. They usually have a 4X4 and tennis rackets strapped to their feet!

hifi_dave
02-03-2018, 16:16
We have owned all-wheel-drive cars for many years - since we got stranded at home by deep snow and our Volvos couldn't even get out of the drive. Yes, I know Volvos come from Sweden but they are no good in the snow with normal road tyres. However, even all-wheel-drive cars can get stuck, when cars in front are stranded by the snow..;)

Ian7633
02-03-2018, 16:24
The local children had a massive snowball fight earlier, it was nice to watch then having so much fun and not sulking and staring at a smart phone screen.

struth
02-03-2018, 16:29
brother got out in the beamer suv and got my prescription. he said the chemist was open but no pharmisist

hifi_dave
02-03-2018, 16:49
Snow has been hammering down for an hour or so, adding another inch on top of the existing layer Can hardly see across the fields.

Looking forward to Sunday which the local weather forecast predicts will be a balmy 4c..

Minstrel SE
02-03-2018, 17:00
A funny thought is that I was conceived in the Winter of 1963 so maybe there will be a surge in Birth rates in 9 months :)

If the Finns think this is light weather than they can keep Finland. The clue is in our core temperature and -5 in a strong wind and snow is bad enough for me. It was horrendous the other day and enough to stop you in your tracks when the wind hit head on.

I wasnt fully geared up and Britain never seems ready but this weather is now killing people. I think we need more contingency plans in place for people in need of help. It does annoy me when I see people have taken to the roads for non essential trips. The motorways should be virtually empty. It should be transport of medical supplies and food only and thats going to have a job getting through.

I wont be going out now until Tuesday

struth
02-03-2018, 17:53
the few folk ive spoke to say shops here are out of food. guessing its all going rotten on a motorway somewhere

Marco
02-03-2018, 19:19
Most likely due to brainless idiots panic buying!:doh:

Marco.

Marco
02-03-2018, 19:40
A funny thought is that I was conceived in the Winter of 1963 so maybe there will be a surge in Birth rates in 9 months...

Same as my wife (13th December), and the weather was rather 'interesting' then, too!!:eek:

It does annoy me when I see people have taken to the roads for non essential trips. The motorways should be virtually empty. It should be transport of medical supplies and food only and thats going to have a job getting through.

Hear, hear (on all counts). It roasts my globe like you couldn't imagine!!! WTF are these MINDLESS TOOLS playing at?? :steam::steam:

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who lives in, or seeks to travel to the areas currently worst hit with snow, and who doesn't work for the emergency services, in one form of the other, or whose job doesn't involve being directly responsible for someone else's welfare [i.e. in a potential life or death capacity], or who doesn't desperately need urgent medical supplies, should.......................

..........STAY THE FUCK AT HOME!!!!!

NOTHING ELSE BUT STAYING SAFE, AND KEEPING ROADS CLEAR FOR THE EMERGENCY SERVICES MATTERS!!

That means no 'visits' to see friends or family somewhere, no trips into town to go clothes shopping (or any other forms of non-essential shopping), or 'jollies' of any other description - and no trying to be a 'hero' trying to get to work (if your occupation doesn't fall into one of the above categories), until it's safe to do so, as your place of work, and job, will still be there when the snow stops/melts, and life will go on!!

THERE ENDETH THE MESSAGE, TO EXERCISE THE COMMON SENSE THAT YOU SHOULD'VE BEEN BORN WITH.

Thank you:)

Marco.

struth
02-03-2018, 20:21
Kinda hard to get food if you don't go out tho. Not that there is any. Tbf a lot of folk have been on foot here. But there's been greedy hoarding too. Saw folk getting out of taxi with about 10 bags of shopping. I give up with folk like that.

prestonchipfryer
02-03-2018, 20:21
Raining here now and as it's hitting the ground it's turning to ice. Very nasty conditions. Hopefully this shite weather will soon give way to something milder. Stay warm folks. :)

struth
02-03-2018, 20:30
Still dry here. 0c cloudy

Marco
02-03-2018, 20:34
Kinda hard to get food if you don't go out tho. Not that there is any. Tbf a lot of folk have been on foot here. But there's been greedy hoarding too. Saw folk getting out of taxi with about 10 bags of shopping. I give up with folk like that.

I'd grab it off them and give it to the homeless at the nearest food bank, as punishment for their greed! :wanker:

The supermarkets should also have introduced a temporary restriction on the amount of food one person can buy, and rigidly enforced it.

In terms of your first sentence above mate, this weather hasn't exactly come as a shock - it's been forecast for WEEKS, so folk should've planned for it and got stocked up, so that they wouldn't have needed to go out and buy anything else now, apart from emergency items.

Problem is, few pay a blind bit of notice and simply think: 'I'll worry about it later', and only start to focus their attention on the situation when it's too late!:doh:

Honestly, if we were snowed in and couldn't get out of the house for another two weeks, we'd have MORE than enough food and provisions to keep us going, so I don't see why other able-bodied people couldn't have achieved the same!

Marco.

struth
02-03-2018, 20:38
Ive had enough til tomorrow plus got emergencies in freezer Daughter brought me some frozen stuff to add to my modest collection only thing I will get short of is milk. Might have to mug the next cow I see

Marco
02-03-2018, 20:42
Lol.... Got any powdered milk you could use, until you can get to the shops again?;)

I'm being semi-serious, though. No-one *needs* milk to survive. Simply do without it for a few days, folks, until everything gets back to normal. It's not the end of the world!! :D

Marco.

montesquieu
02-03-2018, 20:43
Honestly, if we were snowed in and couldn't get out of the house for another two weeks, we'd have MORE than enough food and provisions to keep us going, so I don't see why other able-bodied people couldn't have achieved the same!

Marco.

The wife always gives me a hard time about 'buying for world war three' and always being stocked up ... but she's not laughing now.

Well actually I did manage to laugh at her, she got the very last loaf at the little local co-op the other day and was very proud of herself, we opened it up this morning to find it's actually a 'hot cross bun' loaf - cinnamon flavoured and chokka with bits of fruit. Who knew such things existed?

Not exactly brilliant with a boiled egg. Will probably have to bake some tomorrow if I can find the yeast.

Marco
02-03-2018, 20:48
Lol - quality! And of course you're quite right. If necessary, this is the time now to survive on your reserves - and if you haven't got any, award yourself a 'careless idiot' badge!

The panic over shopping is truly a joke. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Marco.

walpurgis
02-03-2018, 20:49
I have enough provisions to last a couple of months (including milk powder :)), but I always do and had it before the snow came. Bit low on ammunition though ;).

struth
02-03-2018, 20:49
Make my own bread if needed. Will make one for boy as he eats s lot and there is none in shops. Ive got milk. Just not a lot But with support like yours I will get bye

Marco
02-03-2018, 21:09
I have enough provisions to last a couple of months (including milk powder :)), but I always do and had it before the snow came. Bit low on ammunition though ;).

:lol:

We could probably last a couple of months too, although the food choice could get rather boring! Two weeks though, would be a piece of piss.

Marco.

tapid
02-03-2018, 21:50
Lol - quality! And of course you're quite right. If necessary, this is the time now to survive on your reserves - and if you haven't got any, award yourself a 'careless idiot' badge!

The panic over shopping is truly a joke. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Marco.. Just awarded myself a careless idiot badge, though living 3 miles from central London unlikely to be overly troubled by anything short of a nuclear attack me thinks.
Sadly won that award before btw

tapid
02-03-2018, 22:00
Lol.... Got any powdered milk you could use, until you can get to the shops again?;)

I'm being semi-serious, though. No-one *needs* milk to survive. Simply do without it for a few days, folks, until everything gets back to normal. It's not the end of the world!! :D

Marco.. I think your underestimating the power of a CUPPA to Brits there Marco. After all who wants powdered milk in there tea. Be fair now

Macca
02-03-2018, 22:07
In terms of your first sentence above mate, this weather hasn't exactly come as a shock - it's been forecast for WEEKS, so folk should've planned for it and got stocked up, so that they wouldn't have needed to go out and buy anything else now, apart from emergency items.

Marco.

Or people have just got bored with the continual failed predictions of extreme weather and now regard any warnings as just more bollocks to sell newspapers or get them watching rolling news.

They really stepped it up a gear when the idiotic 'naming' of 'storms' began. Now no-one takes it seriously, so when you do have a bit of proper bad weather, this is what happens.

Marco
02-03-2018, 22:19
. I think your underestimating the power of a CUPPA to Brits there Marco. After all who wants powdered milk in there tea. Be fair now

Lol... You'd get by just fine for a couple of days! In the meantime, you can learn to drink something else :ner:

Marco.

Marco
02-03-2018, 22:22
Or people have just got bored with the continual failed predictions of extreme weather and now regard any warnings as just more bollocks to sell newspapers or get them watching rolling news.

They really stepped it up a gear when the idiotic 'naming' of 'storms' began. Now no-one takes it seriously, so when you do have a bit of proper bad weather, this is what happens.

I get that, but a) it's foolish to take the risk, and b) you should have sufficient reserves of food in place, to survive on (such as Geoff, Tom and I have), negating any need to go to the shops in these adverse weather conditions, other than for some type of emergency.

It's called being organised and applying some basic common sense.

Marco.

walpurgis
02-03-2018, 23:00
Seems they have a different way of stocking up on supplies in Ireland.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/huge-mob-loots-lidl-blizzard-12117289

Shovel_Knight
02-03-2018, 23:57

:stalks: I always knew that Tallaght should be avoided at all costs :D

struth
02-03-2018, 23:59
:stalks: I always knew that Tallaght should be avoided at all costs :D

used to work there..

Macca
03-03-2018, 08:25
Dublin always was a rough town. Not so keen on Lidl myself, think I would have targeted a Waitrose or maybe a Tesco. Not much worth looting in Lidl, except for the chocolate and the booze.

Marco
03-03-2018, 09:33

Hilarious! But remember, these aren't 'human beings'; they're sub-human vermin that society has unfortunately allowed to breed.

Marco.

walpurgis
03-03-2018, 10:28
The thaw has started. 4C this morning and the snow is slowly melting away.

There was a loud gurgle at 1am last night, as the bathroom waste pipes unfroze and the few inches of water stranded in the bath drained away.

If the forecast rain arrives, there'll be no sign of snow by tonight. We could do with a decent downpour to get all that corrosive salt off the roads.

RobbieGong
03-03-2018, 10:32
The thaw has started. 4C this morning and the snow is slowly melting away.

There was a loud gurgle at 1am last night, as the bathroom waste pipes unfroze and the few inches of water stranded in the bath drained away.

If the forecast rain arrives, there'll be no sign of snow by tonight. We could do with a decent downpour to get all that corrosive salt off the roads.

Yep 4C today, the thaw is on and goes up to 10C in the week - Blimey ! heatwave :D

Jimbo
03-03-2018, 11:03
Yep 4C today, the thaw is on and goes up to 10C in the week - Blimey ! heatwave :D

Good news, I am coming down your way next week.:)

struth
03-03-2018, 13:53
still below freezing here.

Shovel_Knight
03-03-2018, 14:14
Yep, it stopped snowing and started raining.

The snow on the ground is melting quite rapidly, and Met Eireann is forecasting serious floods.

RobbieGong
03-03-2018, 14:20
Cant believe how rapid the thaw down here in Sarf Landun :eek: :)

prestonchipfryer
03-03-2018, 15:01
Cant believe how rapid the thaw down here in Sarf Landun :eek: :)

Same here. Impossible conditions yesterday but able to have a walk out for a couple of hours today. Even though it's lashing it down now. :)

struth
03-03-2018, 16:16
not going to get any melt til tuesday. the deep snow has compacted and crusted. you can walk on top of some of it. tried having a go at it but im feeble lol. got car started tho it aint going anywhere . too many large ruts at gate.

Marco
03-03-2018, 16:42
Melting big time now... I'd expect most of the snow here to be away by Monday.

Marco.

walpurgis
03-03-2018, 16:49
Snow's all gone. Need rain now!

brian2957
03-03-2018, 16:55
Things getting better up here too . I hope everyone is safe and well after the last few days of really bad weather .

Macca
03-03-2018, 17:04
Zero degrees here but that is warmer than it was. Forecast is for a balmy high of six tomorrow, 8 on Monday. Should feel like the tropics by comparison.

hifi_dave
03-03-2018, 17:11
The white stuff has almost gone around here. The only place still with an inch of snow is our front and back gardens..:scratch: I feel like I'm being punished.

brian2957
03-03-2018, 17:13
I have a 6ft mound ( of snow ) in my front garden Dave . You're welcome to some , I've got plenty :)

Marco
03-03-2018, 17:17
Still plenty of snow still on the ground here, out with of the main roads. And as it's currently only 3°C, it'll take some rain to shift it.

Marco.

Marco
03-03-2018, 17:18
I have a 6ft mound in my front garden Dave...

Lucky you! Does it have any hair around it?:D

Marco.

struth
03-03-2018, 17:20
snowing again here. not much at moment

brian2957
03-03-2018, 17:25
Lucky you! Does it have any hair around it?:D

Marco.

There's no answer to that really :D

jandl100
03-03-2018, 17:54
Dug my way out in anticipation of The Thaw.
Hopefully local roads will be drivable by Monday.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28575951_2095049793855433_6301422292888155964_n.jp g?oh=84f8a3122ab437e34d1f540774511d2c&oe=5B096732

Shovel_Knight
03-03-2018, 18:16
Worked up the courage and ventured to the center of the city. Lots of people on the streets, but sidewalks are very messy. I had to wear my mountain hiking boots because they’re more or less water-proof.

Oddball
03-03-2018, 20:49
Worked up the courage and ventured to the center of the city. Lots of people on the streets, but sidewalks are very messy. I had to wear my mountain hiking boots because they’re more or less water-proof.

Well without meaning to be rude , your user name is very appropriate for snow clearance :eyebrows:

Shovel_Knight
03-03-2018, 22:13
Well without meaning to be rude , your user name is very appropriate for snow clearance :eyebrows:

Can’t really argue with that :D

CageyH
03-03-2018, 22:18
18 degrees and sunny here today.

Macca
03-03-2018, 22:38
Slight mist coming down here, must mean warmer air on the way in.

walpurgis
03-03-2018, 22:41
Slight mist coming down here, must mean warmer air on the way in.

The wind is no longer coming from the east. It is south westerly here now and that usually brings mild temperatures and rain.

Macca
03-03-2018, 22:46
Couple of people I work with have just come over from South Africa. This has been a bit of a baptism of fire for them, they've never experienced properly cold weather.

Minstrel SE
03-03-2018, 23:28
Yes there are a couple of people from Toulouse and Australia that need banning from the forum :D

Roads were well gritted and clear today. I feel its a lot better now with temperatures hovering aroung the zero mark :)

Macca
04-03-2018, 00:13
Yes there are a couple of people from Toulouse and Australia that need banning from the forum :D

They're on thin ice. Ho ho.

struth
04-03-2018, 09:27
after that fall of snow last night the roads in the estate are extremely slippy. cars being pushed past my house...lol. it is a very slight slope but not much. just no grip. Still 0c here, with a yellow alert for snow in place.

Audio Al
04-03-2018, 09:29
Sunny , Blues sky , Birds singing , It's starting too look a bit like spring

Marco
04-03-2018, 09:35
Couple of people I work with have just come over from South Africa. This has been a bit of a baptism of fire for them, they've never experienced properly cold weather.

It'll be nice and 'fresh', and healthy for them, instead of the usual sweltering ovens they're used to living in:)

Marco.

walpurgis
04-03-2018, 09:35
7C, broken cloud and a bit of sun here. Typical March really.

Macca
04-03-2018, 09:38
It'll be nice and 'fresh', and healthy for them, instead of the usual sweltering ovens they're used to living in:)

Marco.

You'd think but in fact they are not at all happy about it.

Marco
04-03-2018, 09:50
Well, such is life, if they want to come to colder countries, so they'd better get used to it!:D

Marco.

struth
04-03-2018, 10:00
oh, and the snow is back on :doh:

Macca
04-03-2018, 10:05
Misty and damp here. Forecast was a 50% chance of snow overnight but we have got lucky again. Not sure about the temperature until I go out to get breakfast but it seems a little warmer.

struth
04-03-2018, 14:12
the "troops" arrived and cleared my path and driveway plus a section of rd. by troops i mean family.. will be able to reverse straight over to neighbours drive and get a start on tarmac.. still no milk etc but another neighbour gave me a half litre of hers. got food to son so he will be ok for few days. thaw wont happen til tuesday earliest.

Marco
04-03-2018, 16:08
Great news mate, about "the troops"! Hopefully, you can get back to normal soon :cool:

Marco.

Tim
04-03-2018, 16:15
It's been sunny most of the day here, 7/8 degrees. Been out walking with my shorts on :yay:

Audio Al
04-03-2018, 16:25
It's been sunny most of the day here, 7/8 degrees. Been out walking with my shorts on :yay:

:doh::eek::D

Marco
04-03-2018, 16:31
What he forgot to mention is that they were on top of his lycra tights! :eyebrows:

Now, *that* would've been a sight...:D

Marco.

Tim
04-03-2018, 17:28
I find Lycra tends to chaffe . . .

I like wearing shorts Al, people think I'm mad and I think they might be right ;)

struth
04-03-2018, 17:42
been pretty sickened by folk grabbing silly amounts of food for themselves, leaving many to do without. these perishables will have mostly gone uneaten and binned as well. lets face it a average family isnt going to eat 10 loaves and 30 litres of milk in a few days.
also been a lot of fit and healthy folk not helping others who arn't. its becoming sad times.

Marco
04-03-2018, 17:48
As I've said before, I blame the supermarkets for not introducing a [strictly controlled] rationing system, in these times of extreme weather conditions (for the UK), as much as the selfish and greedy twats you're referring to.

Btw, we haven't been near a supermarket for days!

Marco.

Audio Al
04-03-2018, 17:58
I find Lycra tends to chaffe . . .

I like wearing shorts Al, people think I'm mad and I think they might be right ;)

:lol:

Tim
04-03-2018, 18:09
This was my local Tesco when I went out for a walk, thought I'd pop in for a loaf of bread . . .

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4800/40616940701_139cdc94cd_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4741/40575125702_4ce84fb1e5_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4790/40575126442_549af2f791_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4761/39721661655_56219114e5_c.jpg

That's all milk, most dairy, all fruit and veg and all bread gone. Having said that we have been slightly cut off, so I have no idea if that's people buying too much or just Tesco running out?
There wasn't much wine left either, haha

:cool:

Marco
04-03-2018, 18:27
Lol - on top of that, it's also a Sunday... We get our bread now from the local Polish supermarket, as it's excellent quality and not expensive, which was bought in sufficient quantity (along with milk) before the worst of the weather hit :)

As for wine, currently there are over 100 bottles in our 'cellar' at home, none of which I can touch, due to being off it for Lent! In another three weeks, however, that'll change!

Marco.

struth
04-03-2018, 18:46
easy to make bread these days. I often just bung my stuff in and out pops a baby:eek: i do carry milk power for emergencies of course. I keep a tin of Nestle Nido full fat powder at all times. makes decent milk too

Marco
04-03-2018, 19:13
Milk-wise, what helps us not run out quickly is that Del's lactose intolerant, so drinks soya milk - and there's always plenty of that available, plus it keeps well.

I'm the only one who drinks (semi-skimmed) cow's milk, and only enough to make a mug of cappuccino for breakfast. Other than that, I don't drink tea or coffee throughout the day (mainly water or fruit juice), or if I have tea, it's stuff that isn't taken with milk, such as Jasmine or Earl Grey, so we don't go through much :)

As for bread, Del sometimes makes her own, but she does enough cooking as it is, so I wouldn't insist on homemade bread as well, and I'm not into doing it.

Marco.

struth
04-03-2018, 19:23
I take lactose free myself but can take a little normal if I have to. Cream is too rich alas but I do love it

Marco
04-03-2018, 19:29
Not had cream in coffee for years. For me, that worked better in the old days of Cona machines and filter coffee, to give it some flavour, as much of the coffee commonly available back then was crap.

These days, with so many proper machines and good quality coffee available, all you need is fresh milk! :)

Marco.

struth
05-03-2018, 08:13
peasoup fog today. 1c and a little bit of melt on the go. tracks where wheels have been have hit tarmac

Minstrel SE
05-03-2018, 23:10
Yeah Sainsburys have been down on certain stock but I dont blame any lorry driver for not venturing out in that. I saw they were out of sliced loaves and the bakery section didnt seem to be in working.

Ive just had plenty of nice soups in and I bulk them out with packs of mixed veg

I dont panic buy but I may get a few extra things to last an extra day or so. I dont bother with the local Tescos or 11pm shops as you need a second mortgage to shop in there. I split between Aldi and Sainers buying the value products.

I wonder what would happen in a real food shortage. I have my bunker ready to defend myself. I think there is a pretty thin layer of civilisation if the supermarkets are empty :D

Macca
06-03-2018, 08:16
Yeah Sainsburys have been down on certain stock but I dont blame any lorry driver for not venturing out in that. I saw they were out of sliced loaves and the bakery section didnt seem to be in working.

Ive just had plenty of nice soups in and I bulk them out with packs of mixed veg

I dont panic buy but I may get a few extra things to last an extra day or so. I dont bother with the local Tescos or 11pm shops as you need a second mortgage to shop in there. I split between Aldi and Sainers buying the value products.

I wonder what would happen in a real food shortage. I have my bunker ready to defend myself. I think there is a pretty thin layer of civilisation if the supermarkets are empty :D

They reckon any civilisation is only three meals away from collapsing.

Marco
06-03-2018, 08:32
Yes, perhaps for those who are grossly unprepared and disorganised, have little or no reserves of food or provisions, and live day to day without planning for the future!;)

For the rest of us, it would be a slightly different story... :)

Marco.

Tim
06-03-2018, 08:45
I would never run out of food in three days, three weeks more like it - I would be pretty narked after missing three meals though :eyebrows:

struth
06-03-2018, 09:18
Yup it's 3 meals missed
After thinking all was well. The Snow is back with a vengeance. Big. Doh

Marco
06-03-2018, 09:27
I would never run out of food in three days, three weeks more like it...

Ditto, and neither would any able-bodied and comfortably well-off person, with their head screwed on, living outside of the third world.

When the 'day of reckoning' comes, you can all come round to mine for big bowls of home-made soup and pasta... That alone, we could successfully supply for weeks!!:D

Problem is, too many folk now don't cook. They are locked into the 'supermarket culture', and used to being fed by Mr Findus!;)

Marco.

struth
06-03-2018, 09:45
it was referring to society in general. if the country ran out of food, after 3 meals missed, there would be anarchy and revolution. A lot of folk dont have much in way of money or storage for fresh stuff. neither do they have the skills to make meals. others are just lazy and wont drag themselves away from tv long enough to cook something.
i always have a freezer with plenty food in. it wont last a long time but at a push it would keep me for a good 2 weeks. add all the tinned stuff, and flour i have i guess i could go for a month as long as water, heat and light was available.
glad i went to shop yesterday and maybe should have got more but im not a hoarder.

Tim
06-03-2018, 10:04
Don't forget though Marco how fortunate we are to be in that position, most of the world worries about how they're going to put the next meal out, rather than what cable might improve their system or other such frippery ;)

We are all exceedingly well off on a global scale.

Anyhoots, time to pack and catch a train, got a date with Lukas Nelson in Dublin and it's a balmy 8 degrees here, overcast but dry - that'll do for me.

walpurgis
06-03-2018, 10:32
i always have a freezer with plenty food in.

Not sure a freezer will be a great help in a major situation. If electricity, gas and water are cut (and it could happen), folk will be killing to get what they want.

Tim
06-03-2018, 10:44
Look at Black Friday and how civility goes right out the window for a few quid off a bunch of crap - it wouldn't take much to tip humanity over the edge.

walpurgis
06-03-2018, 10:57
Look at Black Friday and how civility goes right out the window for a few quid off a bunch of crap - it wouldn't take much to tip humanity over the edge.

Before long, all vehicles will have 'smart' chips in them, so if need be in an emergency, the government can just order them turned them off and can do the same for public transport. So no mobility. Meaning, no access to anything!!

Marco
06-03-2018, 11:36
Don't forget though Marco how fortunate we are to be in that position, most of the world worries about how they're going to put the next meal out, rather than what cable might improve their system or other such frippery ;)

Oh I completely agree! However, that doesn't excuse the behaviour of the greedy, brainless chavs, in evidence at any supermarket, during the recent bad weather, shoving 12 loaves and 20 pints of milk in their trollies!! :doh::wanker:

Such mindless greed and lack of consideration boils my piss like you wouldn't believe.

Marco.

Marco
06-03-2018, 11:37
Before long, all vehicles will have 'smart' chips in them, so if need be in an emergency, the government can just order them turned them off and can do the same for public transport. So no mobility. Meaning, no access to anything!!

I can see that day coming, and the necessary brainwashing process has already started..... Thankfully, neither you or I will have to endure it in our lifetime. Here's my advice:

Stay a free-thinker, divorce yourself as much as possible from 'the system', and resist insidious government mind control, for as long as you can!

Marco.

Macca
06-03-2018, 12:26
I don't eat anything frozen or tinned (except soup very rarely), don't even have a freezer. Happy to admit my plan is based on society not collapsing. When I think of all the contingencies one needs to plan for that is way, way down the list of priorities.

In any case the plan is flawed. Society collapses, you have 3 weeks of food stored, very good. What do you do when that runs out? Go into the woods and live on leaves and berries? Just postponing the inevitable is not a plan.

struth
06-03-2018, 12:29
I don't eat anything frozen or tinned (except soup very rarely), don't even have a freezer. Happy to admit my plan is based on society not collapsing. When I think of all the contingencies one needs to plan for that is way, way down the list of priorities.

In any case the plan is flawed. Society collapses, you have 3 weeks of food stored, very good. What do you do when that runs out? Go into the woods and live on leaves and berries? Just postponing the inevitable is not a plan.

lol. yup it is not a plan for collapse, just for a hiccup.

struth
06-03-2018, 12:29
stopped snowing now. hoping it goes quickly

Marco
06-03-2018, 12:36

Well, I'd suggest it's better than having no plan, or just meekly succumbing to the inevitable.

At the very minimum, you'd have three weeks in which to survive, by rationing your available supplies, in order to make them last for as long as possible, during which time you could try and come up with a more long-term plan for survival - and yes, hunting and foraging in the woods for food might be part of that! ;)

Marco.

Marco
06-03-2018, 12:37
lol. yup it is not a plan for collapse, just for a hiccup.

Indeed - and *everyone* should be capable of planning for that :)

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
06-03-2018, 12:45
Whilst we do prefer fresh food/ingredients we do also have a stock of canned foods. Enough to certainly keep us fed for a couple of months should the need arise. All that is required is a can opener and a fork or spoon or two. Bottled water is always on hand as well. For us it's just common sense.

The weather today is very good with sun and a light breeze. Around 10c. Soon be summer. :)

struth
06-03-2018, 15:42
still pretty cold but managed aldi and grabbed some milk. got a few supplies too. always put a smile on face when the till say its about half elsewhere:eek:

Macca
06-03-2018, 16:30
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.

struth
06-03-2018, 16:37
alan rickman, right?

Macca
06-03-2018, 17:49
alan rickman, right?

In 'Galaxy Quest'. Top film that.

Minstrel SE
07-03-2018, 22:09

Its surprising if you would eat little or nothing tinned or frozen. Even with my fridge box I wouldn't be without my frozen mixed veg or budget fish fingers. They prepare and freeze this veg well and its very tasty.

The tinned soups are getting quite good and I dont mean the ultra cheap cream of tomato which are orrible. I get a nice tomato and basil soup and I bulk it out with something like the mixed veg :)

I cant be arsed sourcing everything au naturale so a bit of frozen and tinned food is handy.

As to the woods, the Ray Mears life sounds great for five minutes but I really wouldnt have a clue how to survive off the land and it would be miserable. A day is a long time when you cant pig out on the sofa with a computer game :)

struth
08-03-2018, 08:55
sun is out, and the snow, although still around has had a big fright. 1c at moment but its early yet. expect 5 or 6c later... birds are twittering:)

Macca
08-03-2018, 12:20
Its surprising if you would eat little or nothing tinned or frozen. Even with my fridge box I wouldn't be without my frozen mixed veg or budget fish fingers. They prepare and freeze this veg well and its very tasty.

The tinned soups are getting quite good and I dont mean the ultra cheap cream of tomato which are orrible. I get a nice tomato and basil soup and I bulk it out with something like the mixed veg :)

I cant be arsed sourcing everything au natural so a bit of frozen and tinned food is handy.

As to the woods, the Ray Mears life sounds great for five minutes but I really wouldnt have a clue how to survive off the land and it would be miserable. A day is a long time when you cant pig out on the sofa with a computer game :)

I don't even have a freezer box in the fridge but then I rarely cook for myself, I really only do that when I am not working which hasn't been for over a decade now. Don't see the point in buying anything frozen when you can buy it fresh anyway. Supermarket is literally round the corner and open 0700-2300 6 days a week.

I've done some Ray Mears style 'living in the woods'. It gets old really quickly. Was watching repeat of 'The Good Life' the other day. What works on sitcoms really doesn't work in the real world. I too prefer a comfy chair and a computer game :)

walpurgis
08-03-2018, 14:27
I don't even have a freezer box in the fridge but then I rarely cook for myself

Total opposite here, I cook every day (not necessarily anything fancy though) and keep a decent stock of frozen and other nosh. I never order a pizza or any other meal delivered, won't buy from fast food take-away outlets or eat out........Unless I'm away on hols of course, then I'll have pub or restaurant meals when it suits.

struth
08-03-2018, 14:59
i like cooking but i am limited at times for standing at cooker. always had a freezer as its economic and handy as hell. decent amount of tins too as they are edible and last a long time. making bread etc is a good thing to be able to do, even if its only on occasion. saves a fair bit of money, or can, but when single it is all to tempting to just get ready meals or takeaways.

prestonchipfryer
08-03-2018, 15:21
Spring-like here this afternoon with cloudless sky. Stiff breeze though with temp. around 12c. :)

Marco
08-03-2018, 21:50
Even with my fridge box I wouldn't be without my frozen mixed veg or budget fish fingers...

Frozen mixed veg and budget fish fingers, eh? I salute your living the high life!:eyebrows:;)

Weather was beautifully spring-like today here too, so went out with my dad for a nice pub lunch, (no alcohol drinking, though): https://www.thegoldenlionrossett.co.uk/gallery/

10 mins down the road. It was great :cool:

Marco.

Macca
09-03-2018, 07:38
Total opposite here, I cook every day (not necessarily anything fancy though) and keep a decent stock of frozen and other nosh. I never order a pizza or any other meal delivered, won't buy from fast food take-away outlets or eat out........Unless I'm away on hols of course, then I'll have pub or restaurant meals when it suits.

Easy when you are retired, it's something to do. When I worked from home I always cooked for myself. Can't be arsed when I've been out the house at work for 10 hours.

Marco
09-03-2018, 08:12
What about on your days off? No such excuse then;)

Lots of working folk find cooking therapeutic, and do it to de-stress and wind down, at the end of a hard working day! Scary, eh?:eek:

Marco.

walpurgis
09-03-2018, 08:34
Easy when you are retired

Nothing to do with it. I did the same when I was working. I'd come home and cook a meal, often for the missus too, as she's a useless cook.

Macca
09-03-2018, 08:58
What about on your days off? No such excuse then;)

Lots of working folk find cooking therapeutic, and do it to de-stress and wind down, at the end of a hard working day! Scary, eh?:eek:

Marco.

They do indeed, but that just isn't me. A good man knows his limitations.

struth
10-03-2018, 14:23
been bucketing rain all day.:(

walpurgis
11-03-2018, 08:34
Not sure what it's going to do today. Hazy overcast, but not too dark nor too cold, thunderstorms forecast though. I wanted to clean the car out, so I hope it stays dry.

Macca
11-03-2018, 08:47
Very mild here. Warmest it has been since October.

struth
13-03-2018, 16:07
decent day. overcast but dry and about 7c... got my shopping done and shelves, fridge and freezer full again.

hifi_dave
13-03-2018, 16:13
Dark, dismal, damp but not too cold.

Is this the longest Winter ever ?

prestonchipfryer
13-03-2018, 17:29
Well it's been magnificent weather here for us soft southerners. Light breeze, bright unbroken sunshine and temp. around 12c. :)

hifi_dave
14-03-2018, 16:39
A nice day here in deepest Essex.

Not looking forward to the snow promised for the weekend..:eek:

struth
16-03-2018, 15:17
Perishing out there today. feels like snow on way... got shopping in so it can please its self for the next few days

montesquieu
16-03-2018, 15:21
Perishing out there today. feels like snow on way... got shopping in so it can please its self for the next few days

Well I've just been out here in the soft south with just a v-neck jumper over my T-shirt, it's 14c, according to the car thermometer when I went to the post office. It's sunny with blue skies and we have trees in blossom. On the down side I killed my first mosquito last night. Spring really feels like it's on the way, though they are forecasting a last blast of winter over the weekend - typical as I was looking to get the MX-5 out of the garage for a blast.

struth
16-03-2018, 15:25
just checked.. yup snow forcast til sunday night then will warm a bit. bought a set of clip-on shades for my new glasses, such was my misplaced optimism.:(

hifi_dave
16-03-2018, 17:00
So it's your fault then..:smoking:

Ninanina
16-03-2018, 23:06
It's the mini 'Beast from the East' apparently.. snow predicted here in sunny Portsmouth tomorrow and Sunday..

walpurgis
17-03-2018, 08:59
Rather a change in the weather. It's a mere 1C outside and snowing!

struth
17-03-2018, 09:01
flickering here too

Macca
17-03-2018, 11:32
Some flakes of snow here but not really snowing properly yet. Wind is very strong and bitterly cold.

walpurgis
17-03-2018, 11:36
Just fished out the heavy winter jacket & fleece again. Thought I'd done with them, but it's bloody nippy out there.

hifi_dave
17-03-2018, 11:40
We have a light dusting but not settling on roads or pavements. Tonight, it's predicted to snow harder and will freeze, so not planning on going out tomorrow.

walpurgis
17-03-2018, 19:23
We certainly have a proper touch of winter again at the moment. It's below freezing and still snowing lightly, as it has been more or less all day.

Macca
17-03-2018, 21:22
Stopped snowing here but there is a thin coating over everything and it is starting to freeze over.

struth
17-03-2018, 21:39
^ same here so far.. not nice at all....

Marco
17-03-2018, 23:02
Stopped snowing here but there is a thin coating over everything and it is starting to freeze over.

Yeah, I've just watched the Stoke vs Everton game on TV and it looked really bad there in the first half. Seemed to clear up later.

We've had a smattering of the white stuff too, here. It's still nice and soft/powdery though, so not freezing over yet. We'll see how things are in the morning.

Marco.

southall-1998
18-03-2018, 14:42

:rolleyes:

S.

Shovel_Knight
18-03-2018, 14:53
It’s like end of February all over again. Just got an email that our office is closed tomorrow and on Tuesday.

struth
18-03-2018, 14:56
had a fair bit of snow but its mostly gone on rds and footpaths with the solar rays even though its cloudy and been flickering on and off

prestonchipfryer
18-03-2018, 16:20
Heavy snow this morning and icy wind. Starting to thaw now and feeling a little milder. Roll on summer I say. :):):)

Macca
18-03-2018, 16:22
It’s like end of February all over again. Just got an email that our office is closed tomorrow and on Tuesday.

Lucky swine. Mine wouldn't close even if there was a nuclear war.

hifi_dave
18-03-2018, 17:12
We had around 0.5 inches of snow overnight and that didn't settle much on paths and roads. It has been slowly melting through the day but it's bloody well snowing again..:eek:

Shovel_Knight
18-03-2018, 17:22

It means that I will have quite a lot of overtime in the coming days...

struth
19-03-2018, 09:49
sunny but cold at moment. to rise to 4c later. most of snow has gone

Joe
19-03-2018, 10:18

One snowy day many years ago I struggled bravely into work. A half-hour journey took two hours, and I was chilled to the bone when I got there. I was just thawing out when an email came round from the Office Manager that more snow had been forecast, and as a precaution the office was being closed at noon. So, back on with the wellies ....

Macca
19-03-2018, 12:42
One snowy day many years ago I struggled bravely into work. A half-hour journey took two hours, and I was chilled to the bone when I got there. I was just thawing out when an email came round from the Office Manager that more snow had been forecast, and as a precaution the office was being closed at noon. So, back on with the wellies ....

One place I worked a bloke cut through the main power cable to the building, electrocuting himself and killing all the power. They left us all standing in the car park for three hours before deciding that they might as well let us go home. It was bloody freezing and all.

Joe
19-03-2018, 13:01
One place I worked a bloke cut through the main power cable to the building, electrocuting himself and killing all the power. They left us all standing in the car park for three hours before deciding that they might as well let us go home. It was bloody freezing and all.

We had similar several times; JCBs cutting though mains cables, so no power, no heating or lighting, no hot drinks, no computer or telephone use possible. Invariably, after we'd sat shivering for several hours, power would be restored just as we were about to be sent home.

Shovel_Knight
19-03-2018, 13:03
The snow is almost gone and I just got an email that our office will be open tomorrow after all.

Macca
19-03-2018, 13:58
Just been out for a smoke and the wind is very strong and brutally cold. Stepping through the door is like jumping into a cold swimming pool, it takes your breath away for a second. If there was no wind it would actually be quite pleasant.

Spectral Morn
19-03-2018, 14:12
Its nice here, blue skies and not too cold :D

struth
20-03-2018, 11:48
4c and a cold breeze.. very sunny.:)

Macca
24-03-2018, 08:53
Just been down the shop. It's unusually calm and quiet, no wind, sun is trying to come out. You could be forgiven for thinking that spring is here.

Co-incidentally I have a major spring-cleaning operation planned for today, just need to put off starting it for a bit longer yet.

walpurgis
24-03-2018, 09:02
Gloom and drizzle here.

hifi_dave
24-03-2018, 11:52
Same here. Dark, cold and damp. Next week we are promised colder and snow for Easter.

When will this Winter end ?

Shovel_Knight
24-03-2018, 11:58
Lovely day here. The sun is shining and the temperature is predicted to hit 14 degrees in the afternoon. I just finished giveling my bicycle a bit of TLC, think I’ll cycle to Bull Island and back.

Macca
24-03-2018, 12:23
Sun has given up trying here. Looks like it is going to rain. Just been round the charity shops, bought 2 cds for quid each. Quite mild, didn't even need to zip my coat up.

struth
26-03-2018, 10:35
lovely spring morning here so far.

Roy S
26-03-2018, 10:44
lovely spring morning here so far.

Same here, glorious day, might even do a spot of gardening.

walpurgis
28-03-2018, 08:13
7C, grey, gloomy and raining. Well it is March!

hifi_dave
28-03-2018, 11:40
6c, dark and drizzling. Horrid.

The garden is full of Hyacinths which are unlikely to see the week out in this weather. Last year they were magnificent in the Sun and the scent wafted all over the garden but they are already going brown with the cold and damp.

struth
28-03-2018, 11:43
4c and coudy, but cold wind

struth
28-03-2018, 12:07
6c, dark and drizzling. Horrid.

The garden is full of Hyacinths which are unlikely to see the week out in this weather. Last year they were magnificent in the Sun and the scent wafted all over the garden but they are already going brown with the cold and damp.

be a shame if the go too early Dave.

prestonchipfryer
28-03-2018, 12:12
More rain overnight and into dawn. Now stopped being wet and sun has been dodging the clouds. Perhaps more wetness later. Temperature around 8c. Roll on the warmer months. :)

walpurgis
28-03-2018, 12:51
It's still raining. Pooch didn't get a walk, too soggy!

hifi_dave
28-03-2018, 13:06
be a shame if the go too early Dave.

Definitely but they are already showing signs of distress and they have only just appeared. I also worry for the few big, fat bumblies buzzing around. This cold and wet must be giving them grief.

struth
28-03-2018, 13:21
Not seen any bees this far north but the birds are busy. Must have eggs or chicks

struth
29-03-2018, 08:10
lovely sunny day today. was a frost overnight and its still hovering about 0c but should warm up, with 6c being touted.:eek: 6c man:D

walpurgis
29-03-2018, 11:04
Bleedin' typical. I'm just getting ready to take the dog out for a walk round the park and it starts pouring with rain! :rolleyes:

spendorman
29-03-2018, 11:06
Bleedin' typical. I'm just getting ready to take the dog out for a walk round the park and it starts pouring with rain! :rolleyes:

Not here, yet!

walpurgis
29-03-2018, 18:26
It's raining torrentially at the moment. Lashing against the windows and drowning out the TV.

Macca
29-03-2018, 22:36
Wet here too. Mild temperature though, which is the important thing.

struth
30-03-2018, 08:17
March coming to its end and weather back to crap. Drizzle, and cold. 2c but feels much colder

walpurgis
30-03-2018, 08:37
Well I've looked outside and there's lots of nothing in particular going on :). No wind, no sun, no rain.

hifi_dave
30-03-2018, 10:08
Same here. Not nice enough for a BBQ.

struth
30-03-2018, 10:20
stopped raining and brightened up a bit now here. still cold

prestonchipfryer
30-03-2018, 11:15
Crap weather here, again it's raining and cold. Crap! :(

spendorman
30-03-2018, 12:25
Miserable, describes the weather here.

Macca
30-03-2018, 13:34
Sunny here. Not blazing sun but not entirely obscured by clouds. I've been out for a meddle around, check on the animals. Could really do with re-pointing the front wall. Should have done it last week but had a bit of a momentary lapse.

walpurgis
30-03-2018, 13:46
Rained off again. Pooch didn't get a walk. He doesn't like the rain.

struth
30-03-2018, 14:32
Rained off again. Pooch didn't get a walk. He doesn't like the rain.

Was very wet again here, but stopped now.. dunno for how long. Reached 6c

Jonboy
30-03-2018, 21:36
What a crap day , took my 59 wagon to Wheelsday in Aldershot
felt sorry for the organisers as it was a charity event with very little public or cars attending

https://s19.postimg.org/mjyizjqsj/C77_CCE5_E-83_AF-421_C-82_EF-_E4_F0_F9_A89_CD4.jpg

Macca
30-03-2018, 21:42
Is that a mk2 Granada coupe next to yours?

walpurgis
30-03-2018, 21:44
Mk.1 is it not?

Macca
30-03-2018, 22:10
Yes mk1 my brain is going.