PDA

View Full Version : Spendor S3/5R

Mikeandvan
24-02-2018, 21:55
To try to curb the boomy bass in my flat, I've just bought a used pair of these off the bay, my Ruark Talisman were proving too much of a headache, the bass was a bit flabby, and overall the speaker was too big I felt for my flat, though I feel they would have worked in a larger space, I think they are fine speakers. A pair of Royd Minstrels recently acquired off here, suited the room better in terms of their size, but I don't like their screechy treble. I'm hoping the Spendors will prove more suitable. Also just got another old 90s amp (or is it 80s?) - a Sony 630 ESD, don't know whether its a good match for the Spendors, either way I think the best way to organise your system is source /speakers first, then choose your amp. Would the Spendors be more suited to British amps? Am quite flexible at the moment, as just trying out new things.

walpurgis
24-02-2018, 22:01
Those should be lovely Mike. I doubt you'll get bass boom.

Haselsh1
28-02-2018, 09:40
Very interesting as Sue and I have just bought a pair of Spendor S3/5R2's for use in this little cottage we are moving into very soon. Will be used with the Prima Luna pre/power. I am hoping for great things from them along similar lines to my old Rogers LS3/5a's from way back when.

Mikeandvan
01-03-2018, 14:53
The Spendors are too small for my listening room ( my lounge), was gonna put them in the bedroom, but very limited space in there, and all the bother of getting another amp/source. They emphasise vocals, and higher freqs are detailed, you can follow individual instruments well. They do have a slightly flat sound, but I can see why these have a following.