PDA

View Full Version : Allnic 1200 LCR phono

purite audio
19-05-2008, 13:17
Just received the new Allnic 1200 valve phono stage , I believe it uses an CR eq circuit, it is going to retail for £1400, and it sounds absolutely superb, if anyone is looking for a new phono ,I am more than happy to lend this one for evaluation, justleave a mesage here or through my site, www.puriteaudio.co.uk thanks Keith.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/coopie_photo/P5192176.jpg

jcbrum
19-05-2008, 18:34
Hmmmm, I don't like phono stages with RIAA eq.

purite audio
19-05-2008, 19:59
You wouldn't! When are you going to come and set up my hi-res machine then? Regards Keith.

jcbrum
19-05-2008, 22:26
You wouldn't! When are you going to come and set up my hi-res machine then? Regards Keith.

I'm offended and sulking because you said I was "out to lunch"

and Ash wants to come and post again but Marco's too chicken to let him.

Does anyone else want Ash to come back ? He's got two new products to tell us about.

purite audio
19-05-2008, 22:27
Is he introducing a new turntable?

Filterlab
19-05-2008, 22:35
Does anyone else want Ash to come back?

No.

jcbrum
19-05-2008, 22:38
No.

you don't count.

SolidState
19-05-2008, 22:47
He's got two new products to tell us about.

A new valve amplifier?

jcbrum
19-05-2008, 22:58
A new valve amplifier?

You'll have to ask him !

I'm staying impartial,

I don't want to get banned twice in one day !

Prince of Darkness
20-05-2008, 06:37
Does anyone else want Ash to come back ?

Not unless he is a much reformed character (with regard to his posts)!:)

purite audio
20-05-2008, 07:18
ARSE! ( view )
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/coopie_photo/P5192177.jpg

Filterlab
20-05-2008, 07:45
you don't count.

Really, I say differently. He's not coming back on under any circumstances, regardless of what you think or want.

:)

And here's what an impartial member says:

Not unless he is a much reformed character (with regard to his posts)!:)

jcbrum
20-05-2008, 08:20
Really, I say differently. He's not coming back on under any circumstances, regardless of what you think or want.

:)

And here's what an impartial member says:

I'm pleased to see that PoD doesn't agree with you either,

maybe Ash's fans feel they daren't speak ?

purite audio
20-05-2008, 08:35
Ash's fans!
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/coopie_photo/Allnis-A-6000-300B-QSE-03.jpg

Marco
20-05-2008, 08:41
JC,

Give it a rest. Ashley's not coming back - I've sent you an email on the matter. It's got nothing to do with me being "chicken" either. And incidentally, Rob's opinion most certainly does count - he's an administrator of this forum as well as a personal friend of mine!

And I'm still waiting for you to answer the questions I asked you on the Sony thread, and why you have a dislike of "japcrap", so get to it please, as this one won't be going away...

Marco.

P.S Superb pics, Keith. Keep 'em coming! :)

jcbrum
20-05-2008, 09:19
- he's an administrator of this forum as well as a personal friend of mine

Marco.

P.S Superb pics, Keith. Keep 'em coming! :)

So,, .. he's disqualified on two counts instead of only one then.

administrators are the servants of the forum not it's master.

It's a bit like Shareholders, Directors, and Executives. The Shareholders empower the directors as a board, and the directors employ executives to carry out the daily work. It doesn't mean the execs have any valid opinions or authority of their own.

The sony thread appears to have gone off the radar and sunk without trace. It seems a bit ot to resurrect it on Keith's thread.

Meanwhile back on topic, Keith, can't you do a proper phono stage ? RIAA eq distorts most of my records too badly to listen to with enjoyment ?

Marco
20-05-2008, 09:30
So,, .. he's disqualified on two counts instead of only one then.

administrators are the servants of the forum not it's master.

It's a bit like Shareholders, Directors, and Executives. The Shareholders empower the directors as a board, and the directors employ executives to carry out the daily work. It doesn't mean the execs have any valid opinions or authority of their own.

JC, the matter is not up for debate. Rob (and Steve) has got just as much authority here as I have. It doesn't make his (or Steve's) hi-fi opinions necessarily any more valid than someone else's, but in terms of running the forum and deciding who posts here or not, what he (and Steve) says goes as far as you're concerned.

The sony thread appears to have gone off the radar and sunk without trace. It seems a bit ot to resurrect it on Keith's thread.

I'm not asking you to resurrect it here, I'm asking you to click on the original thread, quote my post #26 and reply to the questions asked. Now please attend to it at your earliest convenience. I won't ask you again...

To make it easy for you here's the link:

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=552&page=3

You need to learn that when I ask you questions it's not for the good of my health - it's because I want some answers, and I won't allow important questions I ask someone simply to be ignored.

Marco.

purite audio
20-05-2008, 09:36
The big Allnic phono will have switchable eq types to cater for your collection JC.

Filterlab
20-05-2008, 09:37
...administrators are the servants of the forum not it's master.

Nonsense. The admin/mod team run the forum, they are not run by it.

It doesn't mean the execs have any valid opinions or authority of their own.

Clearly you've never worked in any sort of business. The very term 'Executive' is derived from the word 'execute' - i.e. to execute the business. In simple terms to 'run' the business. Now if someone running the business has no valid opinion or authority to alter things for the better, then what use are they? Look up the term 'Non-Executive Director' and you'll perhaps understand the difference. Ash is not coming back regardless of what idiocy you type, full stop.

JC; if you continue down this path in any regard whatsoever you will be removed, I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of the same old violin music.

Filterlab
20-05-2008, 09:43
The big Allnic phono will have switchable eq types to cater for your collection JC.

Sorry for the thread drift, please continue. :)

purite audio
20-05-2008, 09:59
No problemo, far more interesting thread now!

Marco
20-05-2008, 10:01
That's debatable ;)

When is the Milan show, btw? If I can fit it in I might go. It would be a chance for me to visit some rellies, too.

Marco.

purite audio
20-05-2008, 10:10
http://www.topaudio.it/ Marco translate that!

Marco
20-05-2008, 10:52
LOL, Keith. Interesting... If I'm not in Germany then I may well go :)

Milan isn't too far away from where my family are.

Marco.

Steve Toy
21-05-2008, 01:14
[insanity moment] I think I'll let Ashley back in, actually.[/insanity moment]

JC,

There really is no point in arguing with an admin of three panel in agreement backed up by a majority of our members. I think we should rname you J(K)C - John (King) Canute!

I'm considering the facility that Naim sometimes use on their forum. I's called placing a member under 'moderation.' This basically means that a member under such a restriction has to have his posts approved by admin before they appear in public view. I see this as a useful tool in encouraging you to answer specific questions. Once you begin to employ evasive tactics as probably taught to you by Ashley we put a block on your posting rights until you come up with the requisite answers!

It's just a thought.

Keith, those Allnic valve amps do look gorgeous.

Filterlab
21-05-2008, 07:49
I'm considering the facility that Naim sometimes use on their forum. I's called placing a member under 'moderation.' This basically means that a member under such a restriction has to have his posts approved by admin before they appear in public view. I see this as a useful tool in encouraging you to answer specific questions. Once you begin to employ evasive tactics as probably taught to you by Ashley we put a block on your posting rights until you come up with the requisite answers!

A good thought if I may say so. :)

lurcher
21-05-2008, 08:33
Hmmmm, I don't like phono stages with RIAA eq.

I have been thinking on this, what equipment do you use to do this, ignoring debate as to how the dynamic range of LP compairs with CD and even assuming that maybe 65dB is available from LP, and you need another 40dB for the RIAA, that means (by my understanding) to get anywhere like the result of using a normal RIAA preamp, you need to be getting something like 105dB on the input of the computer (which I assume you are using). But to get near that in the real world you will need to adjust your levels closely, and every dB less gain you have will be another dB you have lost in S/N ratio.

Marco
21-05-2008, 08:40
[insanity moment] I think I'll let Ashley back in, actually.[/insanity moment]

No you bloody won't! ;)

JC is 'in hand', so don't worry. He doesn't need to be placed 'on moderation'...yet. Good idea to create the facility, though, which Rob has now done :)

Nick,

As far as I understand, JC plays 78s exclusively, which he transfers as digital files in some sort of bizarre recording process. I don't think 78s require RIAA eq.

Marco.

Filterlab
21-05-2008, 08:42
I aim to please. :)

Marco
21-05-2008, 08:50
Yer shome cookie! :smoking:

Marco.

Filterlab
21-05-2008, 08:59
I know, I know. :)

lurcher
21-05-2008, 09:04
As far as I understand, JC plays 78s exclusively, which he transfers as digital files in some sort of bizarre recording process. I don't think 78s require RIAA eq.

Ok, fair enough. It would make the requiremenst simpiler. I still think you will need some form of equilisation if you use a velocity sensitive pickup though. But that probably reduces the S/N needed to about 70dB so you could do that digitally without too many problems.

jcbrum
21-05-2008, 09:15
I have been thinking on this, what equipment do you use to do this, ignoring debate as to how the dynamic range of LP compairs with CD and even assuming that maybe 65dB is available from LP, and you need another 40dB for the RIAA, that means (by my understanding) to get anywhere like the result of using a normal RIAA preamp, you need to be getting something like 105dB on the input of the computer (which I assume you are using). But to get near that in the real world you will need to adjust your levels closely, and every dB less gain you have will be another dB you have lost in S/N ratio.

More than half of the records ever made don't use riaa eq, but don't say so on the label.

your thoughts and calculations are correct, the method I use is to apply 50% of the eq in the analogue phono stage with adjustable eq, before the ADC, and then to pick up the rest or zero it back down to nil, in the digital domain. This has the effect of moving the eq control from the analogue to the digital domain where it's much more accurate.

An alternative which is sometimes preferred is to simply use 24bit instead of 16bit. There is then plenty of resolution for any manipulations. This is perfect for live recordings, or digitizing records, but it means you have to stay in the 24 bit domain forever, as down-sampling to 16bit can affect the quality. Also if you start with a cd, you have to up-sample it to 24bit, which is a somewhat artificial process, and cannot create any more sonic detail than there was in the original file, i.e. the resolution is actually no better.

Marco
21-05-2008, 09:21
Oi, your attention is required on the Sony thread ;)

Marco.

Filterlab
21-05-2008, 09:22
...An alternative which is sometimes preferred is to simply use 24bit instead of 16bit. There is then plenty of resolution for any manipulations. This is perfect for live recordings, or digitizing records, but it means you have to stay in the 24 bit domain forever, as down-sampling to 16bit can affect the quality. Also if you start with a cd, you have to up-sample it to 24bit, which is a somewhat artificial process, and cannot create any more sonic detail than there was in the original file, i.e. the resolution is actually no better.

I agree with JC, 24bit is a superior word length and the higher sample rates give more headroom in terms of frequency response. Although whilst the actual resolution is no better when upsampling from 16bit to 24bit, I will say that there is a difference in sound - whether it's better is entirely subjective of course.

jcbrum
21-05-2008, 09:38
Linn Records have used the 24 bit method and gone back to their original masters and released them as downloads. You therefore need to stay in the stay in the digi-domain and therefore you can only play them with a computer but IMO they will significantly out-perform vinyl or cd.

Reference Recordings have even higher resolution masters available and have introduced their own format called HRx.

I know a couple of dealers who are impressed enough by these techniques to want my help to set up dem kit to show off their amps and speakers. They think the sound quality is a definite step up.

jcbrum
21-05-2008, 09:39
ok, marco back to the sony thread :)

Filterlab
21-05-2008, 09:43
Linn Records have used the 24 bit method and gone back to their original masters and released them as downloads. You therefore need to stay in the stay in the digi-domain and therefore you can only play them with a computer but IMO they will significantly out-perform vinyl or cd.

Reference Recordings have even higher resolution masters available and have introduced their own format called HRx.

I know a couple of dealers who are impressed enough by these techniques to want my help to set up dem kit to show off their amps and speakers. They think the sound quality is a definite step up.

I must get hold of some of these reference recordings, just out of curiousity.

purite audio
21-05-2008, 09:55
JC ,I have just heard the best digital ,in my young life , just plugged in my new Stahl-Tek, 'Vekian' wow it really is the cats pyjamas, its like vinyl but supercharged, more later.

jcbrum
21-05-2008, 10:16
JC ,I have just heard the best digital ,in my young life , just plugged in my new Stahl-Tek, 'Vekian' wow it really is the cats pyjamas, its like vinyl but supercharged, more later.

Ok Keith, tell us more.

This might amuse you but in fact the specs are almost identical to the imminent new AVI dac, I have heard the prototype and it was stunningly good as well. :)

Don't forget AVI made a world beating cdp long before people like Naim, and are usually well ahead of the herd on quality and technology.

purite audio
21-05-2008, 10:49
JC Hi I am only interested in the best sound ,I am more than happy to give the AVI DAC a twirl, the Stahl- Tek is really good though ,perhaps its the fourcalass A amps on the output or their own dsp, whatever it has the greatest resolution that I have yet heard ,tremendous dynamics and a very vinyl like presence and weight, I will compare it to the MSB later, regards Keith.

lurcher
21-05-2008, 12:37
An alternative which is sometimes preferred is to simply use 24bit instead of 16bit.

You need to be a bit carefull there, as there is nothing "simple" about actually getting anywhere near 24bits when recording a analog signal.

Thats what I was getting at when I questioned not using a phono stage, you would need at least 105dB resolution, and that starts to become hard to manage in real life.

purite audio
21-05-2008, 12:56
Jc here is a photo of my new DAC ( not a very good photo ) it is the heaviest dac I have ever owned, two seperate chassis four class A amps in the output stage.
Sounds extraordinary.http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/coopie_photo/P5212239.jpg

Togil
21-05-2008, 13:04
Cost ?:scratch:

Mike
21-05-2008, 13:08
Nice stand! :lolsign:

jcbrum
21-05-2008, 14:20
I'm more interested in the sockets on the back. let's have a look.

I assume you buy you books from the same charity shop as your records ?

(sorry couldn't resist, re: out to lunch)

purite audio
21-05-2008, 17:04
I am not showing you my sockets! There is one labelled 'USB' does anyone know where that goes?

maxpower
22-05-2008, 20:24
Coops, Into your PC I expect.

purite audio
22-05-2008, 21:04
Max I was just trying to bait evilpsycho/jcbrum thanks though, hi-res downloads is an area I am interested in though, one o the reasons i wanted to try the Stahl-tek. Keith.

maxpower
22-05-2008, 22:16
Oh I see, sorry. I don't think they're the same person though, they post quite separately on pinkfish and hifiwise and there is a post on hifiwise which makes it pretty clear that they can't be the same person.

Marco
22-05-2008, 23:29
'max',

Your card is marked, my friend ;)

Marco.