PDA

View Full Version : Class D Amp users opinions

steve-z
21-02-2018, 00:23
I’m considering going minimalist on the amp front and I’d like any info and opinions on any of the relatively inexpensive Class D amps. I’d particularly like to hear from any users of the BK Electronics Pear Drop amp and the Temple Audio Bantam Gold, both which sell for £200, or any others around the same price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wee tee cee
21-02-2018, 08:39
Temple amps are very good.

They are great folk to deal with.

I have a bantum and four mono blocks-all excellent.

I have only bettered them by going all class A.

Idlewithnodrive
23-02-2018, 14:32
I haven't heard either of the amps you mention, although the Bantams do have a very good reputation.

Class D, implemented well, can be excellent, equally as good as any other Class.

Shovel_Knight
23-02-2018, 15:52
I think BK Electronics Pear Drop is based on Abletec ALC0180. Should be a good amp.

steve-z
26-02-2018, 02:01
Thanks for the comments and opinions guys, much appreciated, still looking at other options too. I was quite surprised while doing searches that lots of companies are changing to Class D for their amps, NAD and Cyrus to mention just 2. I also spotted a more fully featured amp, the Teac AL101DA which is only £20 more than the Pear Drop and Bantam but it sports a DAC with optical and usb inputs as well as analogue, Bluetooth, headphone output and remote control. Only downside is low power it's only 20wpc/4ohms with 1% distortion so probably only 15-16watts into my 6ohm speakers, distortion will no doubt be very low under 10watts so no real problems at normal listening levels, reviews on YouTube all seem quite positive.

jandl100
26-02-2018, 09:54
I have had lots of class D amps, and lots of others as well.
On the whole I like them a lot.

Imo, class D does have a distinctive sound so it can be a bit marmite - some folks loving it, others not so much!
It tends to have a palpably real midrange, possibly the missing link between solid state and valves-done-well in that respect, to my ears at any rate.

Even at the best I have heard it, class D doesn't have the last smidgeon of resolution, and some class D amps can be distinctly smoothed over, once again to my ears. Some folks like those amps for the smoothness, others (like me) prefer my class D as a higher rez implementation.

I've heard a Bantam and would rate it as a bit too smooth for my tastes.

--- which all come down to the recommendation that you have to try these things for yourself!

wee tee cee
03-03-2018, 14:04
I find the bantum very valve like in presentation.

The bantum gold and mono blocks would far more up your street Jerry-less bright than a mini t but quite a bit more grunt.

steve-z
04-03-2018, 17:00
I find the bantum very valve like in presentation.

The bantum gold and mono blocks would far more up your street Jerry-less bright than a mini t but quite a bit more grunt.

To be honest I’d prefer the balance to be on the light and bright side as the top end currently is a little lacking, provided the delivery is not piercing or shrill.
I’ve had a look round an a few other option that include an onboard Dac, the Tangent Ampster BT and the Teac AL101da, I prefer the aesthetics of the Teac but it’s rather low power, the Tangent has double the power and it’s quite a bit cheaper (£149) and it got 5*s and a recommended tag from Hifi Choice.

https://tangent-audio.com/upload_dir/pics/media/tangent-ampster-bt/2016---03---Tangent_Ampster_5Stars_Hifichoice.pdf

Shovel_Knight
04-03-2018, 17:12
I may be wrong, but as far as I remember Teac AI101DA digitizes its analog inputs to apply some sort of DSP to it...

wee tee cee
05-03-2018, 11:12
Second hand mini t would probably suit.

Try a wanted ad in private exhibitions...

steve-z
05-03-2018, 11:26
Second hand mini t would probably suit.

Try a wanted ad in private exhibitions...

What is a mini t ?

Sherwood
05-03-2018, 11:29
sixty second s:)

walpurgis
05-03-2018, 11:30
What is a mini t ?

http://hifipig.com/do-good-things-come-in-small-packages-amptastic-mini-t/

jandl100
05-03-2018, 11:31
I've a SMSL Q5 Pro I'd be happy to loan you to try out, Steve.

Check the spec on Amazon to see if it would suit your needs - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Q5-Integrated-Amplifier-Aluminium-Subwoofer/dp/B015ZHZG1K

walpurgis
05-03-2018, 11:32
sixty second s:)

More or less. :)

User211
05-03-2018, 12:16
I've got an itchy finger for one of these for my 2nd system. Trying not to go for it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hattor-Audio-250W-Ncore-Hypex-Integrated-Black-or-Silver-chassis/122991781854?hash=item1ca2e1a7de:g:mJ4AAOSwmo5Z1T7 a

Its the Khozmo dude's high end line: http://www.hattor.com/.

I had some seriously expensive > 10K worth of class D Hypex monos that I thought sounded terrible. Really. But I have heard other class D amps in my system that sound totally different. Jerry puts it well I think. I'd hope the Khozmo stuff sounds better but no idea really. That amp above is cute, though. Very cute.

steve-z
05-03-2018, 12:55
I've a SMSL Q5 Pro I'd be happy to loan you to try out, Steve.

Check the spec on Amazon to see if it would suit your needs - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Q5-Integrated-Amplifier-Aluminium-Subwoofer/dp/B015ZHZG1K

That’s very good of you, I’d actually looked at one of those as I have an SMSL Dac Headphone amp for just over a year and find it pretty good considering the price.

gwernaffield
05-03-2018, 15:23
Hi has any one ever had a Gato ga 250 amp they are class D ?

steve-z
10-03-2018, 12:53
Although Royal Mail was painfully slow I finally received the SMSL Q5 Pro from Jerry (jandl100) this morning.
On first brief listen I have to say I’m rather impressed by it, it certainly seems to have a good degree of synergy with my Jordan Eikona 2 VTLs. Bass is tight and solid and with plenty of power, mid appears pretty open and transparent and the treble is crisp and clean without sounding brash or excessive, it’s certainly has more life and detail than the Yamaha amp I’ve just sold on, with the built in dac and remote it ticks all the boxes for what I need, good call Jerry [emoji106]

struth
10-03-2018, 13:00
Although Royal Mail was painfully slow I finally received the SMSL Q5 Pro from Jerry (jandl100) this morning.
On first brief listen I have to say I’m rather impressed by it, it certainly seems to have a good degree of synergy with my Jordan Eikona 2 VTLs. Bass is tight and solid and with plenty of power, mid appears pretty open and transparent and the treble is crisp and clean without sounding brash or excessive, it’s certainly has more life and detail than the Yamaha amp I’ve just sold on, with the built in dac and remote it ticks all the boxes for what I need, good call Jerry [emoji106]

smsl stuff is pretty good

jandl100
10-03-2018, 13:12
Yay :yay: that's a relief. 6 days for 1st class post. Not bad. :doh:

Excellent that it's off to a good start.
Play with it a while, Steve, make sure it's what you want.