PDA

View Full Version : lap top v raspberry pi

wee tee cee
20-02-2018, 15:21
Folks looking for some advice.

I run a cheapo acer lap top with all my CDs ripped lossless utilising fubar as a player (thanks Gary!)

Spotify premium for streaming-my son installed an app that lets me control the lap top with a HP tablet.

Im using a very short usb cable (lavri) and TQ Claymore DAC.

Would a Rpi with suitable power supply (linear?) out perform the lap top?

Can I get a PI that lets me output usb to the dac and if possible utilise my lossless music from a memory stick.

Im a computer numptie that was using a long usb with the laptop for years-to great effect....the remote operation with the tablet frees me up to experiment.

Whats yer thoughts folks?

struth
20-02-2018, 15:25
Maybe yes and yes

Shovel_Knight
20-02-2018, 15:25
In short: the USB output on the Pi is notoriously flaky. A laptop is probably much better for audio applications.

wee tee cee
20-02-2018, 15:33
The acer is about a year old and much quieter electrically than the old dell i had been using for years.

My sons mac is better than the acer but not a grand better!!!

Just wondered if the pi was a solution.

struth
20-02-2018, 15:35
up to you but in your position i would likely get jriver 23. works pretty good. long cable to your dac and the jriver remote app for controlling it. its easy to use and sounds pretty good. wont cost much either

WAD62
20-02-2018, 15:40
The acer is about a year old and much quieter electrically than the old dell i had been using for years.

My sons mac is better than the acer but not a grand better!!!

Just wondered if the pi was a solution.

A pi is a much better solution than a laptop as a dedicated music streamer, but does require the right firmware, and you'll need to see if your particular DAC is supported...the pi is not 'notoriously flaky', but like any USB connection it requires the appropriate drivers.

I'd recommend piCorePlayer as a very robust O/S providing LMS/Sqeezelite capabilities

What DAC are you going to use?

Shovel_Knight
20-02-2018, 15:57
the pi is not 'notoriously flaky'

Well have to agree to disagree then. The USB ports on the Pi sit on the same bus as its Ethernet chip and are electrically very noisy. I also experienced audio dropouts when Ethernet is active due to bus contention.

In my experience, a Mac mini was much better than the Pi when used with USB DACs.

Of course, the Pi is brilliant when used with an SPDIF board or an I2S DAC.

Just my 2 pennies :-)

Sherwood
20-02-2018, 16:05
Well have to agree to disagree then. The USB ports on the Pi sit on the same bus as its Ethernet chip and are electrically very noisy. I also experienced audio dropouts when Ethernet is active due to bus contention.

In my experience, a Mac mini was much better than the Pi when used with USB DACs.

Agreed

WAD62
20-02-2018, 16:08

OK point taken...I'll bow to your experience RE. USB

I'd also second your SPDIF board suggestion, the best I've heard from a pi was via a hifiberry digi+ pro SPDIF board with isolation...:cool:

wee tee cee
20-02-2018, 16:13
Dac is the one built into my TQ claymore that i use as a pre.

Best dac ive ever tried ,so really want to utilise it with a pi if possible.

The question regards memory stick with pi-i would rather use solid state than a spinning drive if possible.

Dont have a clue regards operating systems tbh....or computers in general.

Sherwood
20-02-2018, 16:18
OK point taken...I'll bow to your experience RE. USB

I'd also second your SPDIF board suggestion, the best I've heard from a pi was via a hifiberry digi+ pro SPDIF board with isolation...:cool:

I have a Hifiberry Digi+ and it is very good. However, the Allo Digione is far better. Incredible detail and clarity, although several times the price.

Geoff

WAD62
20-02-2018, 16:19

The question regards memory stick with pi-i would rather use solid state than a spinning drive if possible.

You can use a local HD, USB stick, or NAS for your files...

However, although the setup of a pi is much easier than it used to be, you'll still need some basic computer skills...or a mate who has

wee tee cee
20-02-2018, 16:27
Will,
That is where i fall down but have some help available-just wondered if those in the know reckon the pi as a dedicated server had the edge sonically.

Im not averse to going battery/linear supply if it reaps rewards.

The lap top route has served me well for years, just trying to up the game on a budget if possible.

struth
20-02-2018, 16:32
ive got a pi with battery and laptop. i prefer the laptop, and rarely use the pi these days, but there isnt much in it imv sonically.. go with what your comfortable with

WAD62
20-02-2018, 16:39
Will,
That is where i fall down but have some help available-just wondered if those in the know reckon the pi as a dedicated server had the edge sonically.

Im not averse to going battery/linear supply if it reaps rewards.

The lap top route has served me well for years, just trying to up the game on a budget if possible.

I use a pi3 as my LMS server, and a couple of pi's with HAT DACs in secondary systems...if you want absolute SQ from the pi then it seems to me that the ALLO SPDIF is the way to go, as mentioned by the others. (I may have to check that out myself ;))

FWIW I use iFi iPSUs with my pi/HAT DACs (Audiphonics, and IQaudio), and there's an improvement, but as they are secondary systems I'm not going to go any further...let your help have a look at these options...I'd recommend ethernet connectivity for simplicity, and resilience

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/how-to-1
https://volumio.org/
http://moodeaudio.org/

I use picoreplayer, as it integrates into my squeezebox world, I'm still using a SBTouch, Boom, and classic too...

Sherwood
20-02-2018, 16:41

No problem with memory sticks if formatted properly. Latest Pis have 4 usb ports so you can use more than one usb stick but heat dissipation may be a problem. I have stopped using my San Disk Ultra for continuous use because it runs too hot.

Geoff

Sherwood
20-02-2018, 16:44
I use a pi3 as my LMS server, and a couple of pi's with HAT DACs in secondary systems...if you want absolute SQ from the pi then it seems to me that the ALLO SPDIF is the way to go, as mentioned by the others. (I may have to check that out myself ;))

FWIW I use iFi iPSUs with my pi/HAT DACs (Audiphonics, and IQaudio), and there's an improvement, but as they are secondary systems I'm not going to go any further...let your help have a look at these options...I'd recommend ethernet connectivity for simplicity, and resilience

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/how-to-1
https://volumio.org/
http://moodeaudio.org/

I use picoreplayer, as it integrates into my squeezebox world, I'm still using a SBTouch, Boom, and classic too...

Agreed. Ethernet gives much better results. You may need to buy a ethernet over mains kit for this depending on the location of your router.

Geoff

wee tee cee
20-02-2018, 17:00
ive got a pi with battery and laptop. i prefer the laptop, and rarely use the pi these days, but there isnt much in it imv sonically.. go with what your comfortable with

Grant knows me....the computer sides of audio just aint my bag-the lap top/usb suits me fine....just wondered!

Greatly appreciate the contributions folks-just too far out my comfort zone!!

If my good lady cant turn on the hi fi and play tunes when im out at work without a lengthy telephone call then it aint happening.

Thanks folks...

mikeyb
20-02-2018, 21:57
I have two you could try, one is a Pi with Allo.com Boss DAC with rca out, and I also have an Allo.com Sparky with Piano 2.1 DAC and Kali Reclocker ( broken RCA on one output needs fixing ).

I'm pretty sure the Pi/Boss DAC combo is as good if not better than the TQ DAC, if I remember right [emoji6]

I could have that all set up ready to run for you to plug in and play with only the drive with your files needing to be linked to it.

Let me know.

montesquieu
20-02-2018, 22:03
In short: the USB output on the Pi is notoriously flaky. A laptop is probably much better for audio applications.

This is my experience too.

Sherwood
20-02-2018, 22:10
I have two you could try, one is a Pi with Allo.com Boss DAC with rca out, and I also have an Allo.com Sparky with Piano 2.1 DAC and Kali Reclocker ( broken RCA on one output needs fixing ).

I'm pretty sure the Pi/Boss DAC combo is as good if not better than the TQ DAC, if I remember right [emoji6]

I could have that all set up ready to run for you to plug in and play with only the drive with your files needing to be linked to it.

Let me know.

Sounds like an offer you can't refuse.

mikeyb
20-02-2018, 22:12
Sounds like an offer you can't refuse.

https://youtu.be/SeldwfOwuL8

https://youtu.be/DTtpWgrhS78

[emoji23]

Sherwood
20-02-2018, 22:19
https://youtu.be/SeldwfOwuL8

https://youtu.be/DTtpWgrhS78

[emoji23]

You will of course be running it in headless mode!

mikeyb
20-02-2018, 22:19
You will of course be running it in headless mode!Horses headless [emoji23]

jonners
20-02-2018, 22:31
Agreed. Ethernet gives much better results. You may need to buy a ethernet over mains kit for this depending on the location of your router.

Geoff

If you can't use ethernet and you prefer not to pollute the mains with RF, this is a good alternative: https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/networking-my-way.html

wee tee cee
21-02-2018, 08:35
Thanks everyone...the more i read about the pi the less confident i become that it would suit me.

Mikie thanks for the kind offer but ive got to be honest with myself-i will stick with the lap top.

mikeyb
21-02-2018, 12:03
Thanks everyone...the more i read about the pi the less confident i become that it would suit me.

Mikie thanks for the kind offer but ive got to be honest with myself-i will stick with the lap top.Looks like I'll need to send the boys round [emoji23]

wee tee cee
21-02-2018, 15:19
Mike it would be tears and snotters as soon as i touched something.

I thought it was alchemy when the wee fella got the tablet talking to the lap top!!

StanleyB
21-02-2018, 15:44
From my experience, laptop into a USB converter, and then via a TOSLINK cable gives the lowest noise level.

Shovel_Knight
21-02-2018, 17:27
Another thought: if your laptop is electrically noisy, it’s possible to improve things with so-called “USB isolator” based on the ADUMx160 chipset.

Gazjam
21-02-2018, 18:14
Tony...
naa.

No offence to any of the happy Pi users but I tried a good one (built in linear supply etc) and to me its a case of ‘not so much’.
Buy cheap pay twice?

Time to step up your digital mate to match the rest of your kit.
Dont need to oay a fortune either.

My recommendation:
Small but powerful computer running Roon server software.
Roon membership.
Roon interface running on your tablet - choose music from that not a laptop.

Cant recommend Roon highly enough as you know, need to get yer arse over here and I’ll give you a demo.
This setup is as close to a music ‘appliance’ as you’ll get.
Trust me, you dont want to be around when you need to mess about with Linux on a Pi, drive you Benny Bongo.

Do it once, do it right mate.

Sherwood
21-02-2018, 18:24
Tony...
naa.

No offence to any of the happy Pi users but I tried a good one (built in linear supply etc) and to me its a case of ‘not so much’.
Buy cheap pay twice?

Time to step up your digital mate to match the rest of your kit.
Dont need to oay a fortune either.

My recommendation:
Small but powerful computer running Roon server software.
Roon membership.
Roon interface running on your tablet - choose music from that not a laptop.

Cant recommend Roon highly enough as you know, need to get yer arse over here and I’ll give you a demo.
This setup is as close to a music ‘appliance’ as you’ll get.
Trust me, you dont want to be around when you need to mess about with Linux on a Pi, drive you Benny Bongo.

Do it once, do it right mate.

Which one?

Geoff

Gazjam
21-02-2018, 18:27
One that one of the AOS members built and sold on Geoff, a v2 I recall.
Was a while back so maybe not the latest dac, but knowing Tony as I do I’d steer him away from one.

RichB
21-02-2018, 18:29
None of the above...

Get a Chromecast Audio, wire it toslink into your dac.

Honestly, some fowk on here cannot handle owt simple and the more you have to tinker with it the better it sounds right?

Well that's bollocks, Chromecast is cheap, works well.... If you want to faff on then buy a fancy PSU for it or spend the money on drink and hoors for all the good it'll do ye.

The pi crowd are a bit mental if you ask me.... They'll come round one day and realise there's bugger all to be gained by faffing around with this stuff.

Sherwood
21-02-2018, 18:42
One that one of the AOS members built and sold on Geoff, a v2 I recall.
Was a while back so maybe not the latest dac, but knowing Tony as I do I’d steer him away from one.

I'm intrigued by your comment, "buy cheap, pay twice". As a development economist the notion of a performance/price ratio is hardwired into my dna. Remind me how much an annual subscription to Roon costs and how this compares to the one off purchase price of the RPi system you auditioned?

I am not disputing that Roon is a polished user interface, but frankly I believe it to be hugely overpriced. Additionally, I have compared my own RPi system to much more expensive digital front ends and have found it better in terms of SQ.

Geoff

Sherwood
21-02-2018, 18:48
None of the above...

Honestly, some fowk on here cannot handle owt simple and the more you have to tinker with it the better it sounds right?

Well that's bollocks, Chromecast is cheap, works well.... If you want to faff on then buy a fancy PSU for it or spend the money on drink and hoors for all the good it'll do ye.

The pi crowd are a bit mental if you ask me.... They'll come round one day and realise there's bugger all to be gained by faffing around with this stuff.

I have a Chromecast Audio and I am very pleased with its performance in a good quality bedroom system. I doubt if it can be matched on any performance/price scale. However, it is not in the same league as either of my two RPi systems. Compared to the £30 I paid for the CCA, these other systems cost around £60 and £130 (including cases). Are they significantly better? Yes. Are they twice or four times better? No. However, for me the incremental costs more than justify the higher price?

Geoff (currently in counselling)

Tim
21-02-2018, 19:01
None of the above...

:dance: gave me a chuckle, especially the highlighted bit. Not saying I agree, just that it gave me a chuckle.

Sherwood
21-02-2018, 19:18
:dance: gave me a chuckle, especially the highlighted bit. Not saying I agree, just that it gave me a chuckle.

Get off the fence! Are we or are we not mentally competent? I use this term in preference to the decidedly non-PC "a bit mental"!

Geoff

RichB
21-02-2018, 19:29
I tried the whole RPi thing with the fancy dac for it but what a carry on....

Chromecast into a half decent dac. Easy peasy. Of course you don't get the satisfaction of 'building' it or making a fancy case or trying a hundred different operating systems before realising that not one of them makes a difference sound wise but hey, if that's your thing, go wild.

I'll happily offer to bake off with anyone and put it to the test.

WAD62
21-02-2018, 19:41
I tried the whole RPi thing with the fancy dac for it but what a carry on....

Chromecast into a half decent dac. Easy peasy. Of course you don't get the satisfaction of 'building' it or making a fancy case or trying a hundred different operating systems before realising that not one of them makes a difference sound wise but hey, if that's your thing, go wild.

I'll happily offer to bake off with anyone and put it to the test.

...how do you play your 'local files' (NAS, HD etc) with the CCA?

Gazjam
21-02-2018, 19:44
I'm intrigued by your comment, "buy cheap, pay twice". As a development economist the notion of a performance/price ratio is hardwired into my dna. Remind me how much an annual subscription to Roon costs and how this compares to the one off purchase price of the RPi system you auditioned?

I am not disputing that Roon is a polished user interface, but frankly I believe it to be hugely overpriced. Additionally, I have compared my own RPi system to much more expensive digital front ends and have found it better in terms of SQ.

Geoff

Not commenting on anyones choices, were all different. :)

Honestly though,
In my system The Pi sounded quite poor against my Logitech Transporter into the same Dac.
Sounded like a toy in comparison.
The Pi was set up properly by the way, so its not that.

Some judicial choices and sometimes you get what what you pay for in my experience.
We all pick a spot, and thsts absolutely right.
How many of us have been on the upgrade bandwaggon for years, threw good money after bad and ended up a bit disolusioned at the end wondering if we actually are that better than we were?
Me for one!

My take on Roon differs from yours Geoff, and thats ok.
Been a ‘Roonie’ since it came out and to me was the logical next step to me after many years of using Squeezebox Server/ LMS. Absolutely worth every penny, and that was coming from being a fanboy JRiver user for many years, which ‘technically’ does the same thing.
Not stuck in my ways, whatever gets me there!
This might change again in fact, PS Audio are working on their own Roont type software OS so may make the jump to that in the future if its up to snuff.

All about the interface and user experience to me nowadays, who the feck wants to be going into the linux command line to mount shares (etc) when the thing shits itself or theres a power cut?
A black box that works...who wouldnt want that?

Just one mans opinion Geoff, YMMV and Tonys a mate so dont want to recommend something I dont believe in or think woukd suit him.

These things are always worth trying in your own system of course, but given the nature of the rest of his system I would only suggest something that’ll be obviously better than the laptop he used now, which sounds pretty great as is.
Chromecasts a good idea to try, not heard one but lots of folk like em, and not too salty a price to try.
Good shout, worth a punt cos you just never know.

RichB
21-02-2018, 19:52
...how do you play your 'local files' (NAS, HD etc) with it?

Any number of apps you can use.... Bubble upnp was popular I think.

If I'm honest I don't really bother with that, I can just plug the laptop into the dac. However with my entire digital collection backed up on Google music and Spotify premium at my disposal I rarely find the need.

I also cast many radio stations, soundcloud and tunein.

Tim
21-02-2018, 20:00
Get off the fence! Are we or are we not mentally competent? I use this term in preference to the decidedly non-PC "a bit mental"!

Geoff

Well as a file based audio advocate, I was laughing at myself more so and I know I'm mental for sure. But you may not have known that, others here would - not that I'm mental, that I like FBA ;)

Gazjam
21-02-2018, 20:00
Getting i2s out of a Pi could be an interesting project...

Gazjam
21-02-2018, 20:01
Tim’s been there and done it...be nice. :)
He may of course be a bit mental for various other reasons, wouldnt want to comment!

Bourneendboy
21-02-2018, 20:45
I have used a Pi in the past and it worked fine after some initial faffing around. I'm currently using a CCA with a Caiman SEG and it is very reliable and a doddle to use and it does sound very good.

I am interested in a Pi and an Allo Digione, but is the £200 including a COAX cable really worth it? Is it really that much better than the CCA?

Of course, if I could get all this for £50 I'd buy one now. So many times I've bought something because people have said it's 'night and day's better and been disappointed because I can't hear any difference.

Tim
21-02-2018, 20:55
He may of course be a bit mental for various other reasons, wouldnt want to comment!
I guess Geoff wouldn't know I'm a PC tinkerer, but I agree that Linux even for someone familiar with it can be a pain - I tinker a lot less these days, happy with where I am. Also agree for Tony it probably isn't the best idea.

Nobody has mentioned the Yamaha WXAD-10 - not tried one myself, but probably about to, just for Spotify. Reviews very well and couldn't be simpler to use. More expensive than CCA and a cheaper Pi setup, but I like what I've seen so far.

FUqtS_-MoLg

VvlMzd9cXIU

Just a thought . . .

WAD62
21-02-2018, 20:57
I have used a Pi in the past and it worked fine after some initial faffing around. I'm currently using a CCA with a Caiman SEG and it is very reliable and a doddle to use and it does sound very good.

Hi Bill, are you able to stream 'local files' with your CCA, and if so how...?

Sherwood
21-02-2018, 21:23
I am pretty tech savvy when it comes to PCs. I am embarrassed to admit it but as part of my Economics degree I did a course which was based on Algol 68R. Don't ask. However, I would not know a single line of Linux code or even that it was Linux. I have set up my RPI systems by following clear step by step instructions and by trial and error (i.e. switching between different menu options to get the desired results. Frankly, I am surprised that so many users on this forum seem to consider this a challenge. Frankly, I found it harder to set up the proper arm/cartridge geometry on my turntable and a lot more fiddly.

Geoff

Bourneendboy
21-02-2018, 21:27
Hi Bill, are you able to stream 'local files' with your CCA, and if so how...?

Easy peasy Will, Bubble UPNP. I use Twonky Server on my PC and Bubble on my Android phone to cast to the CCA.

Shovel_Knight
21-02-2018, 21:30
I am pretty tech savvy when it comes to PCs. I am embarrassed to admit it but as part of my Economics degree I did a course which was based on Algol 68R. Don't ask. However, I would not know a single line of Linux code or even that it was Linux. I have set up my RPI systems by following clear step by step instructions and by trial and error (i.e. switching between different menu options to get the desired results. Frankly, I am surprised that so many users on this forum seem to consider this a challenge. Frankly, I found it harder to set up the proper arm/cartridge geometry on my turntable and a lot more fiddly.

My mother worked for many years as a computer engineer for the Soviet space program, and yet she is absolutely clueless when it comes to using modern PCs and smartphones. She once started texting me some very weird messages — as it turned out, she mistook the messaging app for the Google search prompt :rolleyes: I can imagine many people would feel absolutely intimidated by the Pi.

Tim
21-02-2018, 22:14
I think those of us who consider tinkering with computers enjoyable and feel very comfortable doing it, forget that actually if it's something you aren't comfortable with, it's not as easy as we think it is.

I used to use Linux all the time, I'm rusty now and to be honest I can't be arsed. I just want to play music these days.

struth
21-02-2018, 22:29
Ive got all 3. Cca rpi & lap. Rpi is good but still needs a bit more knowledge. Cca is easy but not quite as good or pretty. Prefer laptop but only because it suits

alphaGT
21-02-2018, 23:05
I worked with PC’s and computers for many years, and was known as the man who could fix anything. Be it PC’s or printers or networks or servers, I’ve worked with them all. And now that I’m retired from all that, I think is the reason I don’t like to tinker with computers. Enough already.

Russell

Gazjam
22-02-2018, 07:02
Mention "Twonky Server" to Tony and he'd go Benny Bongo!
Nowt wrong with wanting a "black box" that plays music, its where Im coming from nowadays.

Tim
22-02-2018, 08:13
I know you have said on a budget Tony, but I also noticed you said your wife needs to be able to use it when you're out. That to me makes it a slightly different matter, you need something easy for you both, but clearly want it to perform well.

Just a thought - if you are Apple users and have an iPhone or iPad, have you considered the Aurelic Aries Mini (https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/auralic-aries-mini-wireless-streaming-node-5371-p.asp)? The Lightning DS controller app is only Apple unfortunately (no Android app) and you can upgrade the power supply later to say an Audiophonics and it takes a HDD inside for music, up to around 4,000 RedBook albums should fit on a 2TB drive. So it's all rather simple, but sonically impressive and easy to use for you both?

Of course if you don't use Apple, it's not really a good idea due to the added cost. But it would be a simple solution, with a user interface most people would be happy with.

wee tee cee
22-02-2018, 09:42
Thanks again everyone.

Both Grant and Gary know me...im just not computer orientated.

Reading this thread is gobldy gook to me.

The lap top is the simplest solution for me-its nice and quiet electrically and is really straight forward to use.

I had a squeeze box that drove me round the bend but really opened my eyes to the benefit of digital.

Sold my Naim CD player and never looked back.

I just want to play music as does my good lady.

Its bad enough explaining to her the switch on sequence of the amps-a pi would be divorce territory!!!

mikeyb
22-02-2018, 09:48
Pi stays on 24/7 [emoji6]

struth
22-02-2018, 09:52
my pi stays off 24/7:ner:

Tim
22-02-2018, 14:28
If you didn't mind using Roon Tony and want a very simple Raspberry Pi option, this is really easy.

You need a Pi, a HiFiBerry board and Roon - download the software, load onto a microSD, plug the Pi into your amp and network and load Roon. I reckon if you can handle using a laptop, you could do this. No need for any Linux command lines, it's built into Roon.

https://www.hifiberry.com/

s9itAHHHbfQ

wee tee cee
22-02-2018, 15:20
Is there any sonic advantage?

My USB DAC in the TQ Claymore is really well isolated, Colin Wonfor is particularly concerned with power supplies and isolation.

The method Stan outlined is what I used for years.

I tend to switch everything off at night for safety-so would have to fire everything up when playing.

I used i tunes for years untill Gary ghosted my collection and coverted it for Fubar on my other laptop.

Definitely falls into the category of "first world problems"!!!

Tim
22-02-2018, 15:40
Is there any sonic advantage?

Can't answer that as I haven't tried it personally, you would like to think there would be as the laptop wouldn't be directly feeding the DAC. Laptops in my experience were always the worst thing to use for file based audio, being the hardest to 'quieten' down electrically - and a headless server the easiest/best. This gives you a simple and clean end point for Roon.

Just offering up easy solutions for the Pi, which is what I thought you wanted?

wee tee cee
22-02-2018, 16:09
Thanks Tim.

Just wondered if anyone was willing to say a pi sounded better than a lap top from experience.

Otherwise I will stick with what I have.

Tim
22-02-2018, 16:26
Well that's the six million dollar question, but I can answer from the experience of hearing a good Pi setup.

If you were to take a standard laptop and match it against a properly configured Pi with a HAT (Hardware Attached on Top) board like a HiFiBerry, then most definitely yes. A good power supply takes it even further. It's why people do it, if it wasn't worth the sonic boost, then nobody would ;)

Of course you could ring every last drop out of a laptop and you might come close, but you'd spend a lot of money on extras and need to be comfortable editing the registry. But from my experience, it still won't be as good sonically or from a value perspective.

But then Pi folk are mental apparently - but aren't all geeks (me included) :lol:

wee tee cee
22-02-2018, 18:01
Tim,
Our hobby to get the best sound in our listening room falls into geek status...I dont have a problem-take great pleasure from it to be honest.

The digital side of things is my delivery system-looking to get the best out of it bang for buck.

I love listening to music-greatly appreciate all the help ive had from members.

Lap tops vary-my dell was electrically noisy,the acer better again, my sons mac pro incrementally better but not a grand better....hence my pi enquiries!

Sherwood
22-02-2018, 18:44
Thanks Tim.

Just wondered if anyone was willing to say a pi sounded better than a lap top from experience.

Otherwise I will stick with what I have.

Yes, much better. From my personal experience. It is also much cheaper than having to tie up a pc for audio. My desktop pc is in my home office and my notebook is wherever I happen to be working at the time. My listening room is on the first floor in a double bedroom.

Geoff

Tim
22-02-2018, 18:59
....hence my pi enquiries!
Well I reckon just asking the question is the first step, there are oodles of options now, more everyday which are aimed at novice users. A wee bit of research, which although time consuming, could help identify the setup most suited to your needs. I'm sure you'd get help with whatever you choose, if you did decide to take the plunge.

You could do a lot worse than having a peruse through The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR4tuhqPppVp-PD0q17sPEA) he's tried pretty much all the well known options.

Give it a go I say, you know you want too . . . and us mental buggers will help prevent you from falling off the cliff :)

RichB
22-02-2018, 19:48
Well that's the six million dollar question, but I can answer from the experience of hearing a good Pi setup.

If you were to take a standard laptop and match it against a properly configured Pi with a HAT (Hardware Attached on Top) board like a HiFiBerry, then most definitely yes. A good power supply takes it even further. It's why people do it, if it wasn't worth the sonic boost, then nobody would ;)

Of course you could ring every last drop out of a laptop and you might come close, but you'd spend a lot of money on extras and need to be comfortable editing the registry. But from my experience, it still won't be as good sonically or from a value perspective.

But then Pi folk are mental apparently - but aren't all geeks (me included) :lol:

They are.... Completely hatstand.

I'd rather shove wasps up me bum than spend another minute of precious existence faffing around with that nonsense.

:lol:

montesquieu
22-02-2018, 20:45
I think those of us who consider tinkering with computers enjoyable and feel very comfortable doing it, forget that actually if it's something you aren't comfortable with, it's not as easy as we think it is.

I used to use Linux all the time, I'm rusty now and to be honest I can't be arsed. I just want to play music these days.

Quite. I have a unix administrator's certificate in the cupboard (from somewhere around 1991 but doubt it's changed much).

A decent USB-SPDIF receiver will have galvanic isolation for the USB connection and probably reclocking of the signal as well - better than any on-board gizmo for a Pi. The effects of this should be measurable. This means any PC-related noise is essentially irrelevant and no need for fancy linear PSUs.

The richness and robustness of the Mac or PC desktop interface available from the likes of JRiver or any of the other mainsteam Mac/PC apps is superior to anything you get from a browser-based interface (which is all you get from a Pi), while browser applications are available as well on the PC/Mac should you want/need them. I use a 9-year old Macbook with a solid state hard drive and its maximum RAM capacity, which runs a recent OS and indeed in performance is to me largely indistinguishable from the main far more modern Macbook I use on a daiy basis. It's controllable from iPhone and iPad apps as well if I need it to be. (Though I generally don't bother).

Streaming remains an inferior way of interacting with music in my view (I much prefer vinyl where I can read the sleeve and not have to faff with pushing buttons on screen - I work in IT and spend my life in front of a screen, so it's the last thing I want to do in my leisure hours) but it's there, it's simple and all you really need is a USB-SPDIF interface and a DAC, or just a USB DAC. So it's pretty much there (plug and play - this plus a spotify account) and no need to worry about software versions, burning boot disks and faffing about with settings - set your wifi connection, plug the cable in and go.

I had two RPis - one with a DAC board and the other with SPDIF - and it all just seemed like a pointless faff. If you enjoy the buggering about that's fine, it's a hobby after all, but there's precisely nothing about it that's superior to what you can do with a Mac (or indeed, a PC), and a good USB-SPDIF interface+DAC. The Pi may be a *cheaper* way of getting results but it's still a computer, just a very small and limited one, any notion of its superiority is just delusional.

Sherwood
22-02-2018, 21:06
Quite. I have a unix administrator's certificate in the cupboard (from somewhere around 1991 but doubt it's changed much).

A decent USB-SPDIF receiver will have galvanic isolation for the USB connection and probably reclocking of the signal as well - better than any on-board gizmo for a Pi. The effects of this should be measurable. This means any PC-related noise is essentially irrelevant and no need for fancy linear PSUs.

The richness and robustness of the Mac or PC desktop interface available from the likes of JRiver or any of the other mainsteam Mac/PC apps is superior to anything you get from a browser-based interface (which is all you get from a Pi), while browser applications are available as well on the PC/Mac should you want/need them. I use a 9-year old Macbook with a solid state hard drive and its maximum RAM capacity, which runs a recent OS and indeed in performance is to me largely indistinguishable from the main far more modern Macbook I use on a daiy basis. It's controllable from iPhone and iPad apps as well if I need it to be. (Though I generally don't bother).

Streaming remains an inferior way of interacting with music in my view (I much prefer vinyl where I can read the sleeve and not have to faff with pushing buttons on screen - I work in IT and spend my life in front of a screen, so it's the last thing I want to do in my leisure hours) but it's there, it's simple and all you really need is a USB-SPDIF interface and a DAC, or just a USB DAC. So it's pretty much there (plug and play - this plus a spotify account) and no need to worry about software versions, burning boot disks and faffing about with settings - set your wifi connection, plug the cable in and go.

I had two RPis - one with a DAC board and the other with SPDIF - and it all just seemed like a pointless faff. If you enjoy the buggering about that's fine, it's a hobby after all, but there's precisely nothing about it that's superior to what you can do with a Mac (or indeed, a PC), and a good USB-SPDIF interface+DAC. The Pi may be a *cheaper* way of getting results but it's still a computer, just a very small and limited one, any notion of its superiority is just delusional.

I'm sorry but once again you are just plain wrong on this. Please see the specs for this board and refer to the section on compatibility. I have this device and speak from first hand experience of both pc/mac solutions and pi solutions.

https://allo.com/sparky/digione.html

Geoff

Sherwood
22-02-2018, 21:14
... and just to add, it took me 15 minutes to download, install and start up Volumio. I agree that some of the earlier interfaces for the Pi had a steep learning curve and were a little flaky. The learning curve for Volumio is hardly steep and it is the curve for a molehill not a mountain.

I would not know a line of Unix code if it was put before me and I never had to enter a single command line to get Volumio working.

Finally, I use the Pi/Digione because that gives me the best sound quality compared to other devices I have (e.g. a Cambridge CXN) or those I have auditioned.

Geoff

montesquieu
22-02-2018, 21:15
I'm sorry but once again you are just plain wrong on this. Please see the specs for this board and refer to the section on compatibility. I have this device and speak from first hand experience of both pc/mac solutions and pi solutions.

https://allo.com/sparky/digione.html

Geoff

Oh yes, the bloke who though an RPi was always and everywhere better than a Mac because of this magic board, which could never never never be beaten ever ever.

Based on one duff dealer demo a few years back where a Mac didn't sound very good.

Sherwood
22-02-2018, 21:27
Oh yes, the bloke who though an RPi was always and everywhere better than a Mac because of this magic board, which could never never never be beaten ever ever.

Based on one duff dealer demo a few years back where a Mac didn't sound very good.

Yes this is George. I see that you persist in insisting that the demo I had was a duff demo even though you were not there and that rather than apologise for the many errors and false assumptions that you made and I have since corrected, you persist in making demonstrably false claims. The demo you refer to started with a Mac front end and fed a high quality Benchmark DAC, MacIntosh Amplification and Magneplanar 3.7s. Hardly a dodgy system and yet it sounded nothing until the Mac front end was replaced with a CDP. Even the demonstrator conceded the improvement but admitted that the Mac was more convenient as a demo system.

Are you saying that the Digione does not have galvanic isolation or (double) reclocking or standing by your claim.

Frankly, you are beginning to sound a little irrational buy making aggressive and belittling remarks rather than accepting that you have made numerous mis-statements and rejecting my assessment based on my personal experience. Finally, I never said that the RPi and its boards could never ever be beaten. That would be ridiculous and untrue.

Geoff

montesquieu
22-02-2018, 21:37
Yes this is George. I see that you persist in insisting that the demo I had was a duff demo even though you were not there and that rather than apologise for the many errors and false assumptions that you made and I have since corrected, you persist in making demonstrably false claims. The demo you refer to started with a Mac front end and fed a high quality Benchmark DAC, MacIntosh Amplification and Magneplanar 3.7s. Hardly a dodgy system and yet it sounded nothing until the Mac front end was replaced with a CDP. Even the demonstrator conceded the improvement but admitted that the Mac was more convenient as a demo system.

Are you saying that the Digione does not have galvanic isolation or (double) reclocking or standing by your claim.

Frankly, you are beginning to sound a little irrational buy making aggressive and belittling remarks rather than accepting that you have made numerous mis-statements and rejecting my assessment based on my personal experience. Finally, I never said that the RPi and its boards could never ever be beaten. That would be ridiculous and untrue.

Geoff

You keep insist on puffing this board and dissing Mac-based approaches on the back of what I'm sure was a bad demo, but is hardly the only story in town.

I'm sure this board is good, indeed it may be very good but your approach in previous posts has been to insist that it's always and everywhere better than a Mac. That's nonsense. I've never insisted that a Mac couldn't be beaten. But I don't either accept this board's web site claims to be the best transport on the planet. There's far too much hyperbole (perhaps the word bollocks is more appropriate) both on hifi web site and also, in people justifying the kit they own on forums.

At the end of the day the Pi remains a cheaply mass manufactured, utterly basic computing device, and building anything on such a shaky foundation, while it may be fun and appeal to the sound per pound instinct, is not the route to the ultimate anything.

Sherwood
22-02-2018, 22:06
You keep insist on puffing this board and dissing Mac-based approaches on the back of what I'm sure was a bad demo, but is hardly the only story in town.

I'm sure this board is good, indeed it may be very good but your approach in previous posts has been to insist that it's always and everywhere better than a Mac. That's nonsense. I've never insisted that a Mac couldn't be beaten. But I don't either accept this board's web site claims to be the best transport on the planet. There's far too much hyperbole (perhaps the word bollocks is more appropriate) both on hifi web site and also, in people justifying the kit they own on forums.

At the end of the day the Pi remains a cheaply mass manufactured, utterly basic computing device, and building anything on such a shaky foundation, while it may be fun and appeal to the sound per pound instinct, is not the route to the ultimate anything.

You have not addressed my points and ignored my clarifications and I realise now you will not concede your previous mis-statements. This will be my final post on the subject as I refuse to reply in kind to your escalating rudeness.

I have heard more than one Mac based system. I am not saying that the Mac cannot sound good. What I am saying, though you refuse to hear it, is that on the times I have heard such systems they have not impressed and have been bettered when a decent CDP is substituted.

As an economist, yes, performance to price is something I aspire to, as evidently many others on this forum do too. I am sure that for many the idea of running an audio system with an expensive pc is a non-starter.

I will not talk about Rpi front ends in general as there are many designs and they vary in quality. However, I stand by my assertion that the Digione board offers an extremely high performance/price ratio. Yes, the Rpi is a basic mass produced computer, but it has sufficient processing power for the task. I am sorry if it is too mass market for you but I judge it on its performance, not its aesthetic appeal. Can it be bettered? Of course, but only by spending considerably more in my opinion. Was it better than the Mac systems I heard? Absolutely! The US demo I heard, in November 2016 by the way, allowed me to play numerous tracks that i am very familiar with. With the Mac front end, I found it difficult to follow fine detail and nuances. You may attribute that to the ancillary equipment, but the performance improved markedly when the Mac was replaced by a CPD player. I only bought the Digione about 4 months ago, but immediately I was aware of a level of clarity that I have only heard previously on some very expensive systems. I am sure that that better and faster Pi type pcs will be developed and I am equally sure that better spdif and dac boards will be developed too. Are they for everyone? Clearly not, but even now they provide a level of performance that would have cost ten or twenty times the price only a few years ago.

Geoff

Edward
22-02-2018, 22:57
Well I've never used a pi or a mac as an audio device only Windows devices and I hereby assert that Windows is the bestest platform for audio playback. So there. :) :peace:

Seriously though if using Windows (as Tony the OP of this thread is I assume on his Acer) than make sure you are using the correct sound drivers. Ideally ASIO or if not available for your DAC then Wasapi. I've found this makes a very useful improvement - that and ensuring there is good isolation (galvanic or whatever). Most decent DACs these days have isolation (as well as being the Master clock via Asynchronous USB). So, to Tony, I'd say you have a fine setup as is - just check you are using correct drivers and perhaps double check that your TQ Claymore DAC is up to spec. I'm sure it is, but Colin should be able to confirm.

Most decent audio playback software (e.g. JRiver, Roon) will allow you connect to the correct software device (e.g. ASIO, Wasapi).

Simon_LDT
23-02-2018, 00:25
I'm baffled that so many seem to find the RaspberryPi's difficult/fussy to use and/or setup. There is no need at all to have any knowledge of coding as there are numerous choices of software out there which do the job for you (Moode, Volumio, Roon, etc). The step by step guides are simple to follow and there are a lot of support and discussions out there on various forums if you do have trouble.

montesquieu
23-02-2018, 00:40
I'm baffled that so many seem to find the RaspberryPi's difficult/fussy to use and/or setup. There is no need at all to have any knowledge of coding as there are numerous choices of software out there which do the job for you (Moode, Volumio, Roon, etc). The step by step guides are simple to follow and there are a lot of support and discussions out there on various forums if you do have trouble.

Not ‘difficult’ just an unnecessary faff compared to MacBook plug and go, plus the UI feels cheap and nasty. (People who use Macs often care about these things - for people who don’t, there’s Windows or even -yikes - Android).

Simon_LDT
23-02-2018, 01:07
It's not exactly a faff though to get going. It literally takes about 10-15 min to download the software and Flash the SD card (and the majority of that time is waiting for the card to flash - it does it all for you). I think some people see (read) about many Pi users tinkering in the back coding and modding all sorts but those are people that enjoy tinkering hence why they do it. It's not needed though as these programs are mostly already built to be ''audiophile'' and cater to get the best sound possible from it.

montesquieu
23-02-2018, 01:22
It's not exactly a faff though to get going. It literally takes about 10-15 min to download the software and Flash the SD card (and the majority of that time is waiting for the card to flash - it does it all for you). I think some people see (read) about many Pi users tinkering in the back coding and modding all sorts but those are people that enjoy tinkering hence why they do it. It's not needed though as these programs are mostly already built to be ''audiophile'' and cater to get the best sound possible from it.

20 years working for software companies and it seemed like a faff to me. Of course if you enjoy the faff and get some enjoyment out of it, that’s fine.

The Black Adder
23-02-2018, 06:58
It's not a faff... You just need patience and you will be rewarded.

The pi has never failed in regards to drop outs or distortion. Set up once done stays as is. Just leave it alone.

The sound is simply magnificent and using moode it's so bloody simple to use that you hardly need to think, or even get out of your seat.. So drawbacks are none apart from feeling guilty about not having any exercise.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

Gazjam
23-02-2018, 06:58

Pretty much agree with this...

RichB
23-02-2018, 07:11
The appeal of RPi to audiophiles is not in its inherent sound quality but rather in its capacity to facilitate faffing around with....

Remember amongst our number are people who will gladly spend several hundred pounds on a fuse!

I bought/built one for precisely this purpose and arrived at the conclusion the benefits were so imperceptible as outweigh the effort.

Of ways to skin the digital audio cat, RPi is the amongst the least efficient.

RichB
23-02-2018, 07:17
The appeal of RPi to audiophiles is not in its inherent sound quality but rather in its capacity to facilitate faffing around with....

Remember amongst our number are people who will gladly spend several hundred pounds on a fuse!

I bought/built one for precisely this purpose and arrived at the conclusion the benefits were so imperceptible as outweigh the effort.

Of ways to skin the digital audio cat, RPi is the amongst the least efficient.

I don't intend the fuse comment here to dig at anyone, just to illustrate the lengths people are prepared to go to...

The Black Adder
23-02-2018, 07:29

Of ways to skin the digital audio cat, RPi is the amongst the least efficient.Ugh.... Sheesh. Honesty guys..

No its not less efficient. You just need to know a bit more and have more patience. Once it's set up its as solid as anything else.

The RPI is now an amazingly sounding unit with the correct DAC fitted.

I don't have crap sounding kit and I'm blown away with the sound...

Nuff said, innit.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

mikeyb
23-02-2018, 07:34
I've now unsubscribed from this thread as I can't be arsed with the argument merry go round [emoji17]

Shovel_Knight
23-02-2018, 08:39

Yes it is basic and cheap, but I seriously doubt that PCBs inside expensive audio products are less cheaply manufactured. They may be more expensive to produce, but not because they’re of better quality — only because they’re manufactured in far smaller quantities!

That said, on its own, the Pi is totally useless as an audio device. But if you use high quality add-on boards, it mostly acts as a decoder. And from a rational standpoint, if its CPU is fast enough to decode audio formats of your choice, anything less basic and more powerful would be just a waste of electricity :)

montesquieu
23-02-2018, 10:16
Yes it is basic and cheap, but I seriously doubt that PCBs inside expensive audio products are less cheaply manufactured. They may be more expensive to produce, but not because they’re of better quality — only because they’re manufactured in far smaller quantities!

That said, on its own, the Pi is totally useless as an audio device. But if you use high quality add-on boards, it mostly acts as a decoder. And from a rational standpoint, if its CPU is fast enough to decode audio formats of your choice, anything less basic and more powerful would be just a waste of electricity :)

Not sure I'd agree with that. The main board in a laptop is designed to be lugged around, indeed thrown around, chucked in airline overhead bins, plugged and unplugged multiple times daily, used in all sorts of conditions and expected to last for years - it's surely made to a higher standard than a Pi whose board probably costs under $5. The OS and UI is the product of millions of man-hours of work, over literally decades, to produce a quality user experience not limited to what can be displayed on a browser. Good boards on audio equipment use very thick tracks and discreet components of good individual quality - but that's for audio and as you say, the Pi isn't an audio device it works solely in the digital domain.

But I don't think that's the argument. I'd be the first to admit that the sound you can get out of a Pi (particularly from SPDIF out) can be very good, comparable to a much more expensive CD transport. (They aren't doing the same thing, of course - the CD transport has a mechanical as well as a digital job to do). Price-performance is excellent, I'll grant that as well. Though I call bullshit on the notion that it's the absolute best possible way to handle digital output, as much for all the faff and compromised UI reasons outlined as for anything to do with sound quality.

(Though faff can be fun - I mean I'm 90% vinyl and what's a bigger faff than that, what with matching cartridges and arm resonances, handling isolation, and cartridge/tonearm setup issues to say nothing of RCMs and fluid and vinyl storage?).

The thread started with Wee Tee Cee asking whether a Pi can be better than a laptop. Short answer, yes it **can** be but not necessarily (depending on the kit used), and it may or may not be worth the surrounding effort. The rest is opinion based on our different experiences.

For some of us, as an easy alternative to a branded plug and play audio device that starts going out of date from day of purchase, the best option remains a proper computer (in my case my old Macbook, redundant since I replaced it with a later one), with high-quality OS experience rather than browser only. Plug it into to a USB DAC or a high-quality USB-SPDIF converter, change one setting (the sound output device selection), and go. That's the same job as a Pi but a hell of a lot easier and not necessarily any worse quality, ***if done well***. Yes the Pi may be cheaper but again that's not the biggest question here.

It would be interesting to take a poll here of people who got a Pi (two in my case), spent some months buggering around with it, and then quietly sold it or left it to languish while they went over to other streaming methods or back to CD. An easy majority I would wager. There is a reason for that and it's probably very little to do with the sound.

People love their Pi's, I get that. I get the evangelical bit too. But I strongly take issue - from my own experience - with the view that it's an automatic answer here, some kind of no-brainer. It's too compromised for that.

LC1979
28-02-2018, 14:00
20 years working for software companies and it seemed like a faff to me. Of course if you enjoy the faff and get some enjoyment out of it, that’s fine.

I also don't understand these constant references to "faff" and "bother" of setting up a Pi.

Flash the card, set a few settings if you like (or leave at default) then forget about it and just listen to your music.

For me, using a laptop would be much more "faff", having to open and close the case all the time! As it is, I can stash the Pi out of sight and use my phone or tablet to control it from the comfort of my sofa without having to get up!

mikmas
01-03-2018, 00:42
Straddling both sides of this (non) argument ...

I use two Pi players - one as a most excellent radio streamer (I am particularly chuffed with the 320K BBC streams built into Moode player) and the other as a headphone amp/player.
I am also quite happy doing pretty much the same but using my Mac Mini as medium and carrier.

Each has it's own convenience, charms and benefits and each has it's own bletchy areas and to be honest I could live quite happily with either.

Only real difference is that, all told, the Pi twins were all in all a damn sight cheaper than the Mac ..... and that does count for a lot when all's done and dusted.

montesquieu
01-03-2018, 01:02
Only real difference is that, all told, the Pi twins were all in all a damn sight cheaper than the Mac ..... and that does count for a lot when all's done and dusted.

Not if you have a spare Mac or MacBook lying around as many long term Mac users do ... I’ve owned at least one Mac (usually more than one) continuously since 1985. The one I’m using for music is 9 years old and with a fast SSD drive in works like new.

But that’s not the only difference, user interface is important as well. And the fact you don’t have to faff with clicking it together and burning images and all that DIY stuff some people seem to love.

mikmas
01-03-2018, 01:03
... although the Pi does have more of an inclination to crash (often) than my Mac (never)

mikmas
01-03-2018, 01:10
Not if you have a spare Mac or MacBook lying around as many long term Mac users do ... I’ve owned at least one Mac (usually more than one) continuously since 1985. The one I’m using for music is 9 years old and with a fast SSD drive in works like new. [/ QUOTE]

... that went well up until you mentioned the SSD - which on it's own costs more than a complete Pi+DAC+case set up.
Both my Macs have SSD grafted in - and they didn't come cheap.

[QUOTE] But that’s not the only difference, user interface is important as well. And the fact you don’t have to faff with clicking it together and burning images and all that DIY stuff some people seem to love.

Really not such a big deal - unless you are a complete computer numpty, in which case a well fettled Mac with SSD and a decent digital player would also be a challenge.

Colin2040
10-03-2018, 11:41
Reading back over this thread I get the idea that using a portable hard drive which draws its power from the source would not be suitable. A desktop hardriv3 conn3cted to a Raspberry pi would be better
Colin

struth
10-03-2018, 12:01
Reading back over this thread I get the idea that using a portable hard drive which draws its power from the source would not be suitable. A desktop hardriv3 conn3cted to a Raspberry pi would be better
Colin

you can use a pi hub

Colin2040
10-03-2018, 13:01
Thanks grant that looks perfect. Have a good portable and this looks lik3 the solution

struth
10-03-2018, 13:02
Thanks grant that looks perfect. Have a good portable and this looks lik3 the solution

ive used one before with a little portable hdd. worked well.:)

Colin2040
18-03-2018, 20:47
Using this thread to glean some more info. I believe that the pi3 won’t come with a power supply but I know there are many out there. Is there a generally accepted power supply or is it worth buying something like an Ifi power supply? And best usbs to use / source if it makes a difference. I will look at Vol7mio forum for info but thanks for any useful info.

Colin

Sherwood
18-03-2018, 20:50
Using this thread to glean some more info. I believe that the pi3 won’t come with a power supply but I know there are many out there. Is there a generally accepted power supply or is it worth buying something like an Ifi power supply? And best usbs to use / source if it makes a difference. I will look at Vol7mio forum for info but thanks for any useful info.

Colin

Very pleased with this to drive my Rpi3/Digione setup.https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hi-fi-power-supply/audiophonics-linear-regulated-low-noise-power-supply-usb-220v-to-5v-2a-25va-p-11364.html

Geoff

Colin2040
18-03-2018, 21:15
Was just looking at this, literally but not sure I want to spend this just now. Would like to get system workin* then look at “upgrades”

But it would meet the brief

diviy
18-03-2018, 21:31
I am using a fanless mini laptop running Daphile its a headless system rips to flac .
I never been a fan of streaming untill I set this up control it off my phone or tablet it runs into my tc7510 very impressed with streaming now .

garrard
19-03-2018, 00:09
Was just looking at this, literally but not sure I want to spend this just now. Would like to get system workin* then look at “upgrades”

But it would meet the brief

I am not convinced. As long as the PS has sufficient current capability it should be fine.

garrard
19-03-2018, 00:13
I am using a fanless mini laptop running Daphile its a headless system rips to flac .
I never been a fan of streaming untill I set this up control it off my phone or tablet it runs into my tc7510 very impressed with streaming now .

I had a fanless laptop running foobar before my current RPi setup. Both systems used the same external DAC, and both sound just as good. The change to the RPi was more about footprint and power use for me. It is certainly much neater.