PDA

View Full Version : Allo Digione

Simon_LDT
16-02-2018, 17:25
So, I placed an order last week for an Allo Digione board for my Raspberry Pi 2B. It arrived yesterday and after spending about an hour removing the HiFiBerry Digi+ board I was using and flashing the SD card with the latest Volumio I was ready to go.

Initial impressions are good. Straight off I can tell that detail and clarity have improved massively. Things popping out in songs which were barely or not audible before. The clarity is amazing, although on some recordings that are generally brighter sounding it can be a bit too ''clinical'' I think. What I also noticed is a bit of a slight lack of lower bass compared to the Digi+, although it could be that I'm now hearing the source recording more accurately and that the Digi+ was smearing the sound somewhat in that area. However, the bass now sounds super tight and clean, much easier to follow than before.

Still early days and while I don't generally believe in ''burn-in'' (although for some things it makes sense), I'll see how I get on over the coming weeks.

Will post updates on how I get on.

Sherwood
16-02-2018, 17:44
So, I placed an order last week for an Allo Digione board for my Raspberry Pi 2B. It arrived yesterday and after spending about an hour removing the HiFiBerry Digi+ board I was using and flashing the SD card with the latest Volumio I was ready to go.

Initial impressions are good. Straight off I can tell that detail and clarity have improved massively. Things popping out in songs which were barely or not audible before. The clarity is amazing, although on some recordings that are generally brighter sounding it can be a bit too ''clinical'' I think. What I also noticed is a bit of a slight lack of lower bass compared to the Digi+, although it could be that I'm now hearing the source recording more accurately and that the Digi+ was smearing the sound somewhat in that area. However, the bass now sounds super tight and clean, much easier to follow than before.

Still early days and while I don't generally believe in ''burn-in'' (although for some things it makes sense), I'll see how I get on over the coming weeks. I haven't noticed a lack of bass compared to the Digi+ which I still have on an Rpi2, but I agree with you on the other points. Clarity and detail is of a much higher order. In fact, I am hearing things on familiar recordings that I was previously unaware of. The "balance" may sound on the bright side, but I am guessing you will have a different view in a week or so.

Geoff

Will post updates on how I get on.

Glad you are pleased with the Digione. Your findings are similar to my own (I am using it with a Pi3). Detail is of a much higher order, due presumably to the lower jitter and noise. I did not find it bright or lacking bass. I am guessing you may change your view on that once you have been using it for a while.

Geoff

killie99
17-02-2018, 13:54
Where did you buy it from? I was looking last week but couldn't find anyone who had the DigiOne AND the DigiOne case.

Alp
17-02-2018, 13:58
Where did you buy it from? I was looking last week but couldn't find anyone who had the DigiOne AND the DigiOne case.

I recently ordered mine earlier this week (with case) from the allo.com. I am waiting for it to arrive.

Kit1cat
17-02-2018, 14:00

You can buy direct https://allo.com/sparky/digione.html

Sherwood
17-02-2018, 14:15
I bought mine direct from allo.com back in September and as I recall had to wait for stocks of the case to arrive. I think the case is currently in stock.

The case is pretty good but benefits from one diy improvement. Being so light the case can shift around and vibrate. The flat face metal standoffs can also scratch the surface on which the player is mounted (mine is atop a Caiman SEG so I can use a very short cable).

Applying these to the four standoffs keeps the player fixed in one place and reduces vibrations. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H2T4OVW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are the perfect size.

Geoff

Simon_LDT
17-02-2018, 17:01

I ordered mine (plus case) via the Volumio online store. It still ships directly from allo but I believe Volumio will get a commission for the sale, which I thought would be good as I've been using Volumio for nearly 2 years now and it's fantastic.

Yomanze
19-02-2018, 11:23
Very interesting, ticks the boxes for me: galvanic isolation and a BNC output, and a well-thought out approach involving lots of regulators!

Simon_LDT
21-02-2018, 11:22
It's coming alive nicely now. Think I had a bad day initially (could of been anything, stress, background noise, etc - happens sometimes). Currently listening to some Rush and Budgie and the bass is sounding clean and chunky.

ijrussell
21-02-2018, 11:58
I'm part way through a move to an all-DIY digital setup. I've ordered one of these today and an MCRU linear power supply for the Pi. I'm hoping it will be good enough to replace my Bluesound Node 2.

Sherwood
21-02-2018, 12:20
It's coming alive nicely now. Think I had a bad day initially (could of been anything, stress, background noise, etc - happens sometimes). Currently listening to some Rush and Budgie and the bass is sounding clean and chunky.

I would suggest you look at post no 6 on this thread. I think the adhesive dots improve performance by stopping the case vibrating as much. The Digione case looks quite good, but like many of these "Lego" cases, it is not very rigid.

Geoff

ijrussell
23-02-2018, 18:27
Delivered this afternoon. I’m now on my third album and first impressions are very positive. I’m currently running off the stock Pi power supply but it still offers a clean and open sound via my DAC.

Sherwood
23-02-2018, 18:41
Delivered this afternoon. I’m now on my third album and first impressions are very positive. I’m currently running off the stock Pi power supply but it still offers a clean and open sound via my DAC.

Yes it sounds good with a basic power supply, though I found a significant improvement with this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hi-fi-power-supply/audiophonics-linear-regulated-low-noise-power-supply-usb-220v-to-5v-2a-25va-p-11364.html

Geoff

Bourneendboy
27-02-2018, 14:05
I've just ordered a Digione Player from Allo and have a quick question.
Am I best to use a USB stick with my music on plugged directly into the Pi or stream from a hard drive plugged into a PC?

Sherwood
27-02-2018, 14:18
I've just ordered a Digione Player from Allo and have a quick question.
Am I best to use a USB stick with my music on plugged directly into the Pi or stream from a hard drive plugged into a PC?

Either will work fine so long as you have a good connection between the RPi/Digione and your router (ideally, Ethernet). The only downside to a usb stick is the size limitation. I am currently transferring my flac files to an 8tb Western Digital network drive.

Geoff

Kit1cat
27-02-2018, 14:37
I used a 1TB WD my passport usb hard drive with my RPi with no problems.

Sherwood
27-02-2018, 14:50
I used a 1TB WD my passport usb hard drive with my RPi with no problems.

I have used that same combination but stopped using it as I detected a reduction in sound quality, most noticeably in dynamics. I think it may be because the WD Passport takes its power from the RPi USB and it draws a much higher current than a solid state USB stick. If possible I would connect it via your router or your main PC.

Geoff

Kit1cat
27-02-2018, 15:12
I have used that same combination but stopped using it as I detected a reduction in sound quality, most noticeably in dynamics. I think it may be because the WD Passport takes its power from the RPi USB and it draws a much higher current than a solid state USB stick. If possible I would connect it via your router or your main PC.

Geoff

Thanks for info Geoff, can't say i was unhappy with the sound quality. Now I have two pi's set up in different rooms I have gone back to using my Zyxel nas drive, handy just having one music source.

struth
27-02-2018, 15:36
Interesting.. I moved to using a self powered WD my book and it improved my sound. was told it was better this way.

Sherwood
27-02-2018, 15:41
Interesting.. I moved to using a self powered WD my book and it improved my sound. was told it was better this way.

I think it is simply a matter of excessive power drain on the pi board. A lot of these usb drives used to require 2 usb ports to work because of their power demands. Nothing wrong with the WD drives per se: just don't try to power them from the Pi.

Geoff

jonners
27-02-2018, 20:24
If your HDD is not self-powered, and you run it directly into the USB port as I do, then I recommend powering it separately via a Y-cable and isolating it from RPi power.

Bourneendboy
27-02-2018, 20:48
Either will work fine so long as you have a good connection between the RPi/Digione and your router (ideally, Ethernet). The only downside to a usb stick is the size limitation. I am currently transferring my flac files to an 8tb Western Digital network drive.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff! I may need to pick your brains if I get stuck setting up:)

Sherwood
27-02-2018, 21:30
If your HDD is not self-powered, and you run it directly into the USB port as I do, then I recommend powering it separately via a Y-cable and isolating it from RPi power.

+1

ijrussell
27-02-2018, 22:21
I’m using a WD external USB drive directly into the Pi and i’m extremely happy with the sound quality.

Sherwood
27-02-2018, 22:46
I’m using a WD external USB drive directly into the Pi and i’m extremely happy with the sound quality.

If you are happy with it fine. Just saying I found a significant improvement when I powered it separately. Assuming you have a USB 3.0 drive it might be worth trying one of these and adding a separate USB power supply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKORD-Type-Male-Micro-Cable/dp/B00B5T3UTS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519771456&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+3+y+cable

Geoff

Simon_LDT
28-02-2018, 08:57
I use a SSD attached via a PiHut USB hub and power it separately. Designed for the Pi and doesn't ''back power'' the Pi. Works for me.

Sherwood
28-02-2018, 11:31
I use a SSD attached via a PiHut USB hub and power it separately. Designed for the Pi and doesn't ''back power'' the Pi. Works for me.

That's another way of doing it. Actually, you can achieve this with most hubs by using a data only USB cable or modifying an existing one by cutting the 5v power cable (typically red in colour). Can be pretty messy though stripping back the insulation and screen! This allows data transfer but not power transfer

Geoff

Bourneendboy
03-03-2018, 18:56
I have chosen the Volumio option with my Digione Player (due any day now)- does anyone know whether I'm going to be able to access Deezer or Spotify with this?

Stratmangler
03-03-2018, 19:31
You've ordered it and now you ask the question?!!! :doh:

Stratmangler
03-03-2018, 19:33
If you look on the Volumio website computer says yes :eyebrows:

Bourneendboy
03-03-2018, 19:49
Just watched a couple of 'how to' videos on YouTube explaining about the Spotify Plugin, all looking good. Can wait for it to arrive!

Bourneendboy
06-03-2018, 13:39
My Digione has arrived and I'm planning on setting it up this evening when I return from work.

Looking through the set up instructions on the Allo website for Volumio, I'm slightly confused with Step 4 - Playback Options. It says 'To play audio through the I2S dac connected, go to Playback Options in Volumio and make sure you enable I2S DAC, then select Digione from the drop down menu'.

The options selected in the example are -

Output device - Allo Digione
I2S DAC - On
DAC Model - Allo Digione

I'm going to be using the Digione with a Beresford SEG DAC, so assume I select 'off' at the I2S DAC option? (Does the Digione have its own DAC?)

Would be great to get this cleared up to hopefully enable an easy setup tonight :)

Sherwood
06-03-2018, 14:03
My Digione has arrived and I'm planning on setting it up this evening when I return from work.

Looking through the set up instructions on the Allo website for Volumio, I'm slightly confused with Step 4 - Playback Options. It says 'To play audio through the I2S dac connected, go to Playback Options in Volumio and make sure you enable I2S DAC, then select Digione from the drop down menu'.

The options selected in the example are -

Output device - Allo Digione
I2S DAC - On
DAC Model - Allo Digione

I'm going to be using the Digione with a Beresford SEG DAC, so assume I select 'off' at the I2S DAC option? (Does the Digione have its own DAC?)

Would be great to get this cleared up to hopefully enable an easy setup tonight :)

Settings are correct. No, the Digione requires an external DAC to convert the digital stream to analogue.

I would start by using the SEG volume control. If you want to use the Volumio software volume control then make sure you set a startup volume (say 25) and a maximum level (say 50) if you are using directly into a power amp. You can change the settings once you have established the sensitivity of your amp/speaker combo.

Geoff

Bourneendboy
06-03-2018, 15:14
Settings are correct. No, the Digione requires an external DAC to convert the digital stream to analogue.

I would start by using the SEG volume control. If you want to use the Volumio software volume control then make sure you set a startup volume (say 25) and a maximum level (say 50) if you are using directly into a power amp. You can change the settings once you have established the sensitivity of your amp/speaker combo.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, I appreciate your help!

I use the SEG as a headphone amp, so will use its volume control.

Sherwood
06-03-2018, 15:17
Thanks Geoff, I appreciate your help!

I use the SEG as a headphone amp, so will use its volume control.

In that case do not activate the software volume control options.

Geoff

Alp
06-03-2018, 22:00
I think it is simply a matter of excessive power drain on the pi board. A lot of these usb drives used to require 2 usb ports to work because of their power demands. Nothing wrong with the WD drives per se: just don't try to power them from the Pi.

Geoff

I have a 500GB Samsung EVO SSD connected to my RPI/Digione. After reading this I looked to see how much power SSDs draw - when idle it seems very little but when reading/writing one like mine can draw up to 5W, so I thought I'd try a y-cable and power it from a battery. It just arrived today. To be honest at a first listen I cannot tell any difference but I'll persevere.

Before that (over the weekend) I converted most of my FLAC library to WAV. I first tried using LMS running on my NAS. There was a significant improvement from FLAC to WAV. This was very welcome but surprising - they are both lossless and there is a heavier load over my wifi network. I thought I'd then try moving the WAV files to my SSD and run LMS on the RPi (which was my previous set-up, but with FLAC files). This has brought a whole new level of clarity & presence. Given that they are both lossless formats I don't really understand why this is so, except there is perhaps lower processing load on the RPi. I had tried a few experiments before with my RPi/Digi+ but perhaps the Digione is now revealing what I have been missing.

Bourneendboy
07-03-2018, 08:01
Got home from work very late last night and only ended up with 30mins with the Digione.

As yet, I can't connect to it and hoping it's a simple fix!

I have connected the PI/Digione to my router using an Ethernet cable, connected the SEG and power.
When I look at my router interface on my PC I can see Volumio with an IP address.
When I put the IP address in the web browser I get the 'unable to connect' message, this is the same if I put in volumio.local

Any ideas fellas!

ALLO.com
07-03-2018, 09:36
hi Alp,
Sorry to see that you have some issues, we will try to assist you.

please try the following

ping test from PC to ensure the IP is ok
(windows + r open cmd mode , ping ip adress)
if it is pinging properly check with clearing the browser cache.
or check with another browser

regards,
Andre

Bourneendboy
07-03-2018, 09:41
hi Alp,

please try the following

regards,
Andre

Hello Andre,

I assume your response was aimed at my post above?

Will try this when I get home from work this evening.

Thanks,

Bill

Bourneendboy
07-03-2018, 19:39
hi Alp,

please try the following

regards,
Andre

I have tried a ping test and all looks good and also deleted all History.

Unfortunately, I still can't load the Volumio interface and get the 'unable to connect' message. This is using Firefox and Chrome.
I have restarted the router and turned the PI off and then on again.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Sherwood
07-03-2018, 19:42
I have tried a ping test and all looks good and also deleted all History.

Unfortunately, I still can't load the Volumio interface and get the 'unable to connect' message. This is using Firefox and Chrome.
I have restarted the router and turned the PI off and then on again.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

You need to delete the cache, not just your browsing history.

Bourneendboy
07-03-2018, 20:04
You need to delete the cache, not just your browsing history.

Done that Geoff and just double checked by doing it again and get the same message.

Just tried in Internet Explorer and get the same message, and get 'the remote device or source wont accept the connection'.

jonners
07-03-2018, 21:34
@Bourneendboy

If you are using a RPi2, can you try a different Wifi adapter?
If you are on the RPi3, try plugging in an external adapter.
Or try a wired Ethernet connection?

Bourneendboy
07-03-2018, 21:45
Just reflashed another SD card and now on the Volumio interface!

Bourneendboy
07-03-2018, 22:33
All working, thanks for your help chaps!!

Sherwood
07-03-2018, 22:34
All working, thanks for your help chaps!!

:clapclapclap::dance::clapclapclap:

ijrussell
08-03-2018, 08:20
My MCRU power supply arrived last night and a powered USB hub should be here tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hearing how much this improves the Pi/Digione because I'm very impressed already.

aBe
08-03-2018, 13:33
I'm currently using RPi2 with Digi+.

If I upgrade the Digi+ to DigiOne (hope it's a real upgrade)
Would I be better off staying with the RPi2 or 'upgrade' also to either RPi3 or RPiZero ?

Sherwood
08-03-2018, 14:14
I'm currently using RPi2 with Digi+.

If I upgrade the Digi+ to DigiOne (hope it's a real upgrade)
Would I be better off staying with the RPi2 or 'upgrade' also to either RPi3 or RPiZero ?

I have both. A Hifiberry Digi+ with RP2 and an Allo Digione with RPi3 and the latter is a definite upgrade, though bear in mind you will not be able to use an optical cable. Not sure there is much difference, performance wise, between the RPi2 and RPi3 other than the built in wifi. However, I believe that the RPi2 draws less current so that may be an issue depending on your power supply.

Geoff

aBe
08-03-2018, 15:36
I have both. A Hifiberry Digi+ with RP2 and an Allo Digione with RPi3 and the latter is a definite upgrade, though bear in mind you will not be able to use an optical cable. Not sure there is much difference, performance wise, between the RPi2 and RPi3 other than the built in wifi. However, I believe that the RPi2 draws less current so that may be an issue depending on your power supply.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff.
Glad to know that the change to Digione won't be a sideways move.
I might as well take the plunge with RPZero while I'm at it..

Sherwood
08-03-2018, 15:57
Thanks Geoff.
Glad to know that the change to Digione won't be a sideways move.
I might as well take the plunge with RPZero while I'm at it..

Not familiar with zero model. You may have problems getting a case for that. Can recommend the Allo case with either RPi 2 or 3.

Geoff

Bourneendboy
08-03-2018, 16:27
I have my music library on a memory stick plugged into the Pi as I'm struggling to work out the file path for the external hard drive plugged into my PC.

Could a kind sole let me know how to input a file path into Volumio for the following-

PC/H:/Music

Cheers,

Bill.

Stratmangler
08-03-2018, 19:27
I have my music library on a memory stick plugged into the Pi as I'm struggling to work out the file path for the external hard drive plugged into my PC.

Could a kind sole let me know how to input a file path into Volumio for the following-

Cheers,

Bill.

Have you got any options in the GUI to create a USB mount?

Bourneendboy
09-03-2018, 10:21
Have you got any options in the GUI to create a USB mount?

I've mounted a USB stick straight into the Pi, but want to try and connect to a hard drive I have plugged into my PC.
It's the file path I'm stuck on.

Sherwood
09-03-2018, 14:25
Here's something for Digione owners. https://www.designacable.com/neutrik-bnc-to-rca-lead-van-damme-75ohm-plasma-coax-cable-cctv-video-spdif.html

I bought this because the 1m rca to rca cable I was using was far too long, and the 50cm QED cable I had was too stiff to bend. This cable is very flexible and made with good quality cable and plugs. I bought the 50cm length, though in hindsight I should probably have got the 25cm length as my Digione is directly on top of my DAC. The company is based in Nottingham and it seems that they make up the cables in house so any length should be possible.

The locking BNC connector means a good secure bond and the rca plug is good too. Very good price considering the quality too.

Geoff

Simon_LDT
09-03-2018, 14:54
Here's something for Digione owners. https://www.designacable.com/neutrik-bnc-to-rca-lead-van-damme-75ohm-plasma-coax-cable-cctv-video-spdif.html

I bought this because the 1m rca to rca cable I was using was far too long, and the 50cm QED cable I had was too stiff to bend. This cable is very flexible and made with good quality cable and plugs. I bought the 50cm length, though in hindsight I should probably have got the 25cm length as my Digione is directly on top of my DAC. The company is based in Nottingham and it seems that they make up the cables in house so any length should be possible.

The locking BNC connector means a good secure bond and the rca plug is good too. Very good price considering the quality too.

Geoff

Would this be better than using a normal RCA - RCA coax (I'm using a Mark Grant G1000HD with Canare plugs)? I'm a bit of a cable skeptic also...

Sherwood
09-03-2018, 15:02
Would this be better than using a normal RCA - RCA coax (I'm using a Mark Grant G1000HD with Canare plugs)? I'm a bit of a cable skeptic also...

I can't say it is noticeably better than the high quality RCA-RCA coax that I was using though it is very good. I think that the BNC socket offers a better mechanical connection and I prefer to keep my cables to the required length and no longer. One aspect of the Digione that I am not impressed with is how the rca socket is mounted to the board. A bit flimsy so best avoided in my opinion.

Geoff

Cycleallday
10-03-2018, 11:15

Cheers,

Bill.

You are quite close Bill; you need the name of your pc to be first, then the hard drive which it looks you have set as h:, then follow the path down to the actual music folder.

If using Windows 10 you also need to make sure your settings allow your pc to be discoverable if not already done.

If you need help pm me and I'll help work out your path.

Mel

zykling
13-03-2018, 23:14
Does anyone know when the ALU, aluminium case for the DigiOne and RPi will be available to buy?
Someone from Allo said in early February, on another forum (https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37205-allo-digione/?page=4) that it should be available after the Chinese New Year .

ALLO.com
14-03-2018, 14:07
Hi,
the cases for the RPI + Digione and RPI + BOSS are in production.
i will update everyone as soon as we are getting the stock in.
Highly anticipated !!
cheers!

zykling
14-03-2018, 15:33
Hi,
the cases for the RPI + Digione and RPI + BOSS are in production.
i will update everyone as soon as we are getting the stock in.
Highly anticipated !!
cheers!

Thanks Andre. :)

zykling
29-03-2018, 00:52
I already have a Raspberry Pi3 and a suitable linear power supply, so I was intending to buy a DigiOne board and the new alloy case for the RPi + DigiOne.
Does the DigiOne board come with the standoffs to fit it onto the Pi or will I need to add those to my order as well?
Any news on when the RPi + DigiOne alloy cases will be available?

ijrussell
29-03-2018, 06:49
I already have a Raspberry Pi3 and a suitable linear power supply, so I was intending to buy a DigiOne board and the new alloy case for the RPi + DigiOne.
Does the DigiOne board come with the standoffs to fit it onto the Pi or will I need to add those to my order as well?
Any news on when the RPi + DigiOne alloy cases will be available?

My Digione, purchased a few weeks ago, came with the standoffs in the box.

zykling
29-03-2018, 07:35
My Digione, purchased a few weeks ago, came with the standoffs in the box.
Thanks. :)
I guessed that the standoffs would be included with the DigiOne but the ordering page for the board on the Allo web site (https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html) also gives the option to order standoffs so I was a little bit in doubt. :scratch:

Fingers crossed that Andre at Allo, has some good news on the ETA for the alloy cases.

ALLO.com
02-04-2018, 13:41
hi there..
about the case see here
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?57574-BOSS-amp-DIGIONE-alu-cases

zykling
02-04-2018, 18:18
hi there..
about the case see here
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?57574-BOSS-amp-DIGIONE-alu-cases
Thanks Andre. I will watch that thread with interest. :)

Yomanze
24-02-2019, 09:08
I just purchased a DigiOne Player with the aluminium case. :)

Having being meaning to move from USB to SPDIF to a direct SPDIF for a while, will report back when it has arrived, I took the MoOde OS option. Will control it using Linn Kazoo and using TIDAL playback.

Yomanze
04-03-2019, 13:54
The aluminium case is sweet. Heavy and nicely finished. It has little rubber decoupling feet. Will be plugging it in tonight when I’m home, I’d better not have made a mistake selling my USB front end lol.

I have a BNC to BNC cable, so ready to rock.

Yomanze
06-03-2019, 00:00
At the risk of this turning into a one man thread the DigiOne has really kicked my ass. Super clean, open, hear-through. The best digital transport I have used yet, and I’ve used a lot.

Jimbo
06-03-2019, 06:29
Neil, I have not heard the DigiOne but ALLO products really do seem to deliver way beyond their price. I have been listening to the BOSS v1.2 player and it takes the piss out of most digital gear I have heard at many times the price.

Bigman80
06-03-2019, 07:38
Same here. I'm using an original Allo Boss DAC HAT and I think it's superb. Certainly rate it high enough to try their other products.

Glad you got a good result!

killie99
06-03-2019, 19:12
It's a fantastic transport. I've tried probably 10 different DACs/transports for the Pi and the Digione was the standout. I had posted a picture of mine in another thread but no harm in posting it here also:

https://i.postimg.cc/SKDPBX7C/rasp_power.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ydGbNwGN/rasp_inside.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/1tXds9JT/rasp_rear.jpg

Yomanze
06-03-2019, 19:42
...but, this stuff doesn’t make a difference, right? ;) :D

For me, femtosecond jitter levels has been a real eye opener. A far bigger upgrade than I was expecting. My DAC has no reclocking, just a simple Crystal CS8416 receiver with It’s PLL for jitter attenuation.

Cool having a screen on the Pi. What is the PSU?

killie99
06-03-2019, 20:21
It's a choke regulated linear supply designed by John Swenson (simple 1084 circuit) and built by me. I originally built it for my Squeezebox3, then used it on my Squeezebox Touch and now it's doing sterling duty with my Pi/DigiOne

https://i.postimg.cc/YqZ0K3zf/ps-sm.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/mrzFnYv6/John-Swenson-SB-5-V.gif

Yomanze
06-03-2019, 20:24
Looks great. Simple is best.

killie99
06-03-2019, 20:31
John said he designed it primarily to stop any crap getting back out the power supply from whatever it was powering. John is a firm believer that crap going back on to your mains can impact other pieces of equipment you have connected to the same mains supply. There was/is a huge discussion about it on the Squeezebox forum about 10 years ago. He's the guy he designed some of the UpTone products. https://uptoneaudio.com/pages/j-swenson-tech-corner

Yomanze
12-03-2019, 18:37
Am temporarily using WiFi instead of Ethernet, it might be my expectation bias, but I don’t think it sounds as good. Going back to hardwired tomorrow, may try to do a bit of blind testing.

struth
12-03-2019, 18:41
ethernet should sound better, and also be more reliable.

Bigman80
12-03-2019, 19:00
ethernet should sound better, and also be more reliable.Why?

struth
12-03-2019, 19:13
Why?

good question. No really concrete answer either, as many say wifi is better, or maybe that should read, Can Be.. Muh will depend on the noise from your router, and the power supply to the usb, and wifi potential infiltrations.
Can only say I will always use Ethernet if possible, and in my mind its stability alone is worth it... you can always fit a quite linear psu to the router.

Bigman80
12-03-2019, 19:15
good question. No really concrete answer either, as many say wifi is better, or maybe that should read, Can Be.. Muh will depend on the noise from your router, and the power supply to the usb, and wifi potential infiltrations.
Can only say I will always use Ethernet if possible, and in my mind its stability alone is worth it... you can always fit a quite linear psu to the router.Ah, ok. I am new to this digital lark so thought there might be a cast iron reason

mikmas
12-03-2019, 20:05
Why?

The clues in the name ... WiFi is dependent on wireless casting and therefore vulnerable to disruptions in a way that a wired connection isn't. Walls and even furniture can inhibit/deflect the wireless stream - wires can be run through or around them.
If I'm in the same room as the router I can get a strong wifi signal and get no problems - if I move around the house the signal can drop considerably and as a result I will get significant dropouts.

My daughter had a gaming rig in her bedroom and the wifi dropouts were so bad she couldn't take part online (despite the wifi signal strength being not too bad).
I ran an ethernet cable up through the living room ceiling to the PC - problem instantly solved.

Notable that the wifi distance was actually significantly shorter than the cable run :rolleyes:

Bigman80
12-03-2019, 20:08
The clues in the name ... WiFi is dependent on wireless casting and therefore vulnerable to disruptions in a way that a wired connection isn't. Walls and even furniture can inhibit/deflect the wireless stream - wires can be run through or around them.
If I'm in the same room as the router I can get a strong wifi signal and get no problems - if I move around the house the signal can drop considerably and as a result I will get significant dropouts.

My daughter had a gaming rig in her bedroom and the wifi dropouts were so bad she couldn't take part online (despite the wifi signal strength being not too bad).
I ran an ethernet cable up through the living room ceiling to the PC - problem instantly solved.

Notable that the wifi distance was actually significantly shorter than the cable run :rolleyes:Ok, thanks for that.

Jimbo
12-03-2019, 20:26
An LPS would benefit the router especially as most use an SMPS which adds further pollution into the router which itself can be electrically noisy.

On the question of Wifi over Ethernet connection it all depends on Wifi traffic and use whilst using router for audio connection and also how much wifi is surrounding your house from neighbours. Also the streamer or device connected via wifi may not be optimised to handle wifi quietly. Hence companies like Innuos are using Ethernet option only.

One way of wiring up digital system to negate some of the possible electrical activity or RFI down Ethernet cables could be to use TP links as in this system.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/barn-connectivity-rev-1

Simon_LDT
13-03-2019, 08:38
I assume that only affects streaming though (which makes sense)? When using the WiFi for the GUI only and actually playing files from a connected hard drive it shouldn't matter.

struth
13-03-2019, 09:08
I assume that only affects streaming though (which makes sense)? When using the WiFi for the GUI only and actually playing files from a connected hard drive it shouldn't matter.

shouldnt, no.:)

Intenso
13-03-2019, 15:34
Has anyone compared a digione to a microrendu?

I recently compared a rpi3/digione to a rpi2/hifiberry hat and the digione was clearly better by some mark.

Got me wondering how a microrendu may compare to the digione?

Yomanze
13-03-2019, 17:54
A more accurate comparison would be with the Allo USBridge, which I haven’t used.

Yomanze
13-03-2019, 18:21
Ah, ok. I am new to this digital lark so thought there might be a cast iron reason

I did experience a couple of dropouts, so this is a cast iron reason to use Ethernet. Also, I wonder about the impact of RF noise when WiFi is enabled.

Yomanze
14-03-2019, 08:51
So I had a play last night, back to hardwired and found in Moode settings that you can disable WiFi and Bluetooth, so I did that too for piece of mind. It fits behind my DAC too on the same rack shelf. :)

This little transport is astoundingly good. I have noticed some reports claiming that it can be a bit bright, but I notice none of this. Sometimes, a lower jitter signal can alter the DAC balance I.e. make the sound too sharp and clinical, but not with a TDA1541A.

struth
29-03-2019, 11:50
Got my digi one case today. Looks smart and is a decent weight too

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190329/0f7a449f1ab9dec5cd4b1dfef86305f5.jpg

Jimbo
29-03-2019, 11:52
Looks good Grant:)

struth
29-03-2019, 12:15
Looks good Grant:)

cant get it to fit .. needless to say no instruction.

struth
29-03-2019, 12:55
Vicious bastard. Lol

Fitted and working now

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190329/22d181f89aa1dd94e521e6c406d05f3c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190329/6300f87d14fa0ff33e409172602f2e1e.jpg

Yomanze
29-03-2019, 13:09
Vicious bastard. Lol

Fitted and working now

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190329/22d181f89aa1dd94e521e6c406d05f3c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190329/6300f87d14fa0ff33e409172602f2e1e.jpg

It’s because the case also acts as a heatsink, a tight fit! The DigiOne Player is the best VFM upgrade I have ever experienced.

struth
29-03-2019, 13:15
It’s because the case also acts as a heatsink, a tight fit! The DigiOne Player is the best VFM upgrade I have ever experienced.

yeah its a good board, but case was a bit intimidating as they had fitted spacers to it so tight i thought initially they were permanent. saw a bint do one on line but hers was a little different, but unce i got the spacers off with pliers it went together

struth
29-03-2019, 13:20
Visually it fits in better nowhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190329/8fd30b9351927dd9c75759af0d6d81e8.jpg

julesd68
30-03-2019, 19:16
Looks good - I've got my digione in the plastic case with a piece of granite on top.

Have you tried it with wifi? I've heard that the metal case can affect the wifi signal ...

struth
30-03-2019, 19:17
Looks good - I've got my digione in the plastic case with a piece of granite on top.

Have you tried it with wifi? I've heard that the metal case can affect the wifi signal ...No but I think it would. I've always used ethernet

Yomanze
05-04-2019, 08:28
I had a dropout when I first used the WiFi, but worked OK after that. However, I have disabled WiFi and Bluetooth because wired is more stable and I think sounds a bit better... I think.

struth
05-04-2019, 08:38
never did find the bluetooth bit, but wifi is off as is hotspot

Yomanze
29-04-2019, 08:45
I’ve been having quite a bit of trouble with Moode. It keeps hanging, not playing nice with my phone as a controller, need to keep restarting it etc. Also a weird thing where visiting moode.local showed a “Spotify Active” popup all the time, even when it wasn’t...

So, I switched to the Allo GUI / DietPi image, which so far has been completely stable, and yes, it sounds identical... :P

The one thing I did have to do is activate the Allo DigiOne in the GUI settings.

struth
29-04-2019, 08:57
sounds odd.. never had much trouble with moode, just prefer volumio now. its rock solid and just works. only issue with volumio was one of the latest updates screwed with connections from the likes of audirvana, so i reset to original one, where i have just left it

Yomanze
16-05-2019, 22:57
sounds odd.. never had much trouble with moode, just prefer volumio now. its rock solid and just works. only issue with volumio was one of the latest updates screwed with connections from the likes of audirvana, so i reset to original one, where i have just left it

The Allo DietPi build has been rock solid so far. Weeks in with no hanging or resets. Definitely more stable and responsive than Moode. Haven’t tried Volumio yet.

webby60
03-07-2019, 10:29
Very interesting and informative thread. I'm thinking of going the Digione player route having never owned a streamer and until now used a laptop/foobar connected to a Rega Dac R to play flac files etc.
I'm thinking that even if there isn't a significant improvement in sound quality it would still be nice to free up the laptop and remove it from the hifi chain.
I've also looked at the Digione signature player but I think there could be an argument to say that it may be better to learn to walk before trying to run.

Ashmore
03-07-2019, 10:31
I'd buy the best one you can afford...

struth
03-07-2019, 10:39
the normal digione is very good, and probably all you will need. you can get a nice alloy case for it too at a cost. overall probably about £200

webby60
03-07-2019, 10:45
Nicer looking & better stability?

struth
03-07-2019, 10:51
Looks very professional and it's heavy enough to stay put
Here is minehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190703/0c681e3aa752a01e1c5e92de669b5ab4.jpg

webby60
03-07-2019, 10:56
It looks good.
I'm in France so Audiophonics looks the best bet for purchasing.

Yomanze
03-07-2019, 20:04
The differences in technical performance between the DigiOne and the Sig are very small, both having incredibly low, sub 1ps i.e. femtosecond level jitter on their outputs. Allo aren’t kidding when they say these are some of the best performing units regardless of price.

I went for the DigiOne Player because it looks smarter in a nice aluminium case, the Sig looks like a DIY Pi lashup due to the lack of a proper case, also no faff with messing around with battery and/or dual supplies on the Sig.

julesd68
03-07-2019, 22:39
It looks good.
I'm in France so Audiophonics looks the best bet for purchasing.
If you buy the metal case I'm told it's not so good for WiFi use. I bought the plastic case version which is ok but I needed to weight it down with a square of granite to give it more stability once it's loaded up with different cables.

webby60
05-07-2019, 07:41
I was in the hunt for one on ebay but unfortunately got pipped at the post.
Is there a general preference regarding software - I'm thinking paticularly with regard to ease of use and stability?

struth
05-07-2019, 08:46
volumio is easy to set up and very stable