PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Yorkshire

Starion156
06-02-2018, 23:50
I new as I guess you know from this thread.

I have had the hifi bug for many years and made many changes and updates to my system to where it is today.

I have built may system over many years mainly through the second hand market. My system as it stands is as follows

Speakers: Customised Snell Type Aii and Gaumont Kalee 379 Compression Drivers with Vitavox Horns and Vitvox Crossovers
Pre: Croft Vitarly SC
Power Amps: Gaumount GK18 Monoblocks
CD Player: Lector CDP 7TL
Turntable: BBC Technics SP10 mkII with BBC Tonearm and DL-103 Cartridge
Stepup/headamp: Albarry MCA11
Streaming: Chromcast Audio

I have a very wide test in music from rock to reggae. If the quality is there then I will generally enjoy listening to the music what ever it is.

I have recently rediscovered vinyl having been a cd convert for many years. Which is costing a small fortune at the moment. If only I hadn't given into to digital in the 80s, still at least I didn't throw my old records away so it's not a total start from scratch. Just wish they could make vinyl the same way they back in the day as modern vinyl seems to have a cold ness about it which does not seem to be the case with older vinyl.

Anyway that enough I about my system and me for now.:)

vinyl
07-02-2018, 07:28
A warm welcome to AoS Mike :)

Andy831
07-02-2018, 08:18
Welcome aboard Mike there are quite a few of us on here in West Yorks.

Wakefield Turntables
07-02-2018, 08:32
Welcome another one from Shakey Wakey!

walpurgis
07-02-2018, 09:26
Hi Mike. Welcome to AOS.

Interesting system you have there. Some photos of your speaker arrangements would be good in our Gallery section.

What future plans if any do you have for your Hi-Fi?

There's plenty going on here and there's a good interest in vintage gear. Feel free to join in the chat, everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

PhilofCas
07-02-2018, 21:23

Welcome aboard Mike there are quite a few of us on here in West Yorks.

Yep, what Andy said (hi Andy), a welcome from me too, just down the road, I’ll let you guess where :lol:

Wakefield Turntables
07-02-2018, 21:45
Cas Vegas!

farflungstar
08-02-2018, 09:06
They have music in Cas. eyebrows

PhilofCas
08-02-2018, 13:04
Cas Vegas!

:lol:

PhilofCas
08-02-2018, 13:05
They have music in Cas. eyebrows

:nocomment: :D

Andy831
08-02-2018, 13:14
"Aye up" Phil hows things.

PhilofCas
08-02-2018, 18:50
Good Andy, yes, I’ll PM you :thumbsup:

Pieoftheday
08-02-2018, 21:03

The wakey massive, ahem

Starion156
08-02-2018, 21:30

Yes you have got the right or was it shady wakey :eek:

Starion156
08-02-2018, 21:43
Hi Mike. Welcome to AOS.

Interesting system you have there. Some photos of your speaker arrangements would be good in our Gallery section.

What future plans if any do you have for your Hi-Fi?

There's plenty going on here and there's a good interest in vintage gear. Feel free to join in the chat, everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Thanks Geoff I will see what I can do and yes it is a very interesting system. As for future plans that I am not sure about that. Just rediscovered vinyl as I said so do I buy a better arm and cartridge? But then I discovered the Chromecast audio and Spotify just before Christmas and this has to be the best value component I have whilst it is no match for my turntable it is surprisingly good. Notice there are a few on here who have discovered the Chromecast. Not sure what Spotify have done to work so well on the Chromecast but I like it, just a shame same can't be said for playing a downloaded hires flac.

So wondering what a decent dac and upgrade to tidal will take me but where do you start. Could easily blow a small fortune on a dac and be disappointed so many out there.

But on the face of it now I have a half decent turntable setup it finding a suitable digital upgrade is probably the next where I will go next.

Wakefield Turntables
09-02-2018, 10:15
Mike, do you go into Wah Wah records?

Starion156
12-02-2018, 17:13
Mike, do you go into Wah Wah records?

I pop in now and again when I am in Wakey on a Saturday.

Wakefield Turntables
12-02-2018, 19:34
I usually pop in if I have 30 minutes spare and grab the odd slab on vinyl. Alan's a good bloke, he'll give you a discount if you buy enough ;)