PDA

View Full Version : Elsdon Wonfor Audio -LS-25

wee tee cee
04-02-2018, 15:41
I took delivery of EWA LS-25 speaker cable to marry up with my new Eddingdale speakers.

I spoke to Gazjam of this parish, he runs Eddingdales and recommended tq ultra black and urged me not to skimp on speaker wire.

I have an awkward set up with speakers at either side of a fireplace-the cable runs under it, so 6m on one side 2m the other.

I posted threads years ago about tq blue/black and ultra all of which I have kept and have running in my av set up and my sons rig.

The tqb ultra was jumper length as i velcroed t map mono blocks to the back of my various speakers and ran long ICs.

I tried my short run of tq black placing the amps on the floor between the speakers- wow, things just came together.

Time to get serious.

I contacted Colin Wonfor ( he designed the tq cables and amps I own) to make sure my EWA M50 power amp would be ok with unequal lengths-no problems!!!

Pulled the trigger on the LS-25.

First impressions were quite strange- I fired up John Martyn -solid air, a pre remastered copy with nothing missing. It actually sounded slowed down-this on a lossless rip!

The cable was creating so much space and separation I had to re calibrate my brain.

The detail retrieval is astonishing with no discernible frequency lifts. Really open window stuff-the cables just disappeared.

I cant hear any discernible colouration.

As an aside it does ruthlessly show up everything else in the chain-ive been experimenting with ICs, tried maybe half a dozen yesterday between pre and power all sound different-its that transparent.

I contacted Colin and ordered LS-25 jumpers as the tqb ultra jumpers are the only weak link in the speaker cable side of things.

Im conscious both my speakers and the cable will settle down with more hours on them but its a game changer for me.

Both my wife and son agree its the best the hi fi has sounded.

My thanks to Gary for the gentle nudge and Mr Wonfor for his wonderful creations.

Thoroughly recommended....hopefully get the Scottish Mafia across for a wee listen and some feed back.

Ali Tait
04-02-2018, 15:55
Look forward to it mate.

wee tee cee
04-02-2018, 16:00
Ali,
Could do with some help regards speaker positioning and an objective set of ears-Im finding it a bit overwhelming with the jump my system has taken recently.

Look forward to getting everyone across-getting the band back together.

Might have to up my game from cakes and a brew to some proper grub!!!

Gazjam
04-02-2018, 16:56
Good stuff mate, glad its all working out for you.
Nice write up and kinda what I expected.

Count me in too Tony.
Will bring my Morrow MA5 interconnects for you to hear.

wee tee cee
04-02-2018, 17:18
Gary yer a gent...looking to do the best I can just now-aint far off.

The Morrow stuff certainly gets good press.

Might speak to Col and see if he has any ICs in the pipe line!

Colin Wonfor
04-02-2018, 20:42
Tony we do, would you like try them, warning they are bright Blue, and I can't change the colour because the material I use is Blue, and I am not going to cover them with black PVC muck as it wrecks there sound.

mikeyb
04-02-2018, 22:51
Nice write up, I’ve put an order in and I think it might arrive this week, fingers crossed I get similar results [emoji4]

mikeyb
04-02-2018, 22:52
Might speak to Col and see if he has any ICs in the pipe line!

I’m sure I saw a set mentioned on Facebook

wee tee cee
05-02-2018, 10:43
Tony we do, would you like try them, warning they are bright Blue, and I can't change the colour because the material I use is Blue, and I am not going to cover them with black PVC muck as it wrecks there sound.

Col,
Might be an idea for me to stick with all EWA stuff...it would make sense synergy wise.

Gazjam
05-02-2018, 11:05
May be something in that Tony,
But don't rule anything out...choose with your ears.

Colin Wonfor
05-02-2018, 16:01
May be something in that Tony,
But don't rule anything out...choose with your ears.

Right on

wee tee cee
05-02-2018, 17:21
Got an extra set of ears round today to help with speaker placement.

My mate Allan has been into hi fi as long as I have.

He was blown away by what we were hearing-some positioning tweaking.

Cols cables are neutral....my room aint-we cranked things up and my good ladies piano started resonating!

I will trust my instincts and try one of the EWA ICs-I haven't sold anything designed by the the man that ive had in my possession.

Best hi fi ive had/best noise ive had in my room /most enjoyable listening experience ive enjoyed.....im nearly there!

Gazjam
05-02-2018, 19:36
Majik :thumbsup:

wee tee cee
05-02-2018, 20:25
yer sig...is that Bill Hicks?

eisenach
06-02-2018, 13:09
I've just received a 2.5m pair of LS-25s. They're up against the original Chord Signatures. They've only been in for a couple of hours, so it's far too early to say, yet, but if memory serves me, there's not a lot of overall difference. The EWAs "might" have a bit more snap, detail and air, but the treble seems a bit thin by comparison with the Signatures. Of course, they may just be revealing less than perfect recordings. I'll be back in fortnight !

wee tee cee
06-02-2018, 14:58
I found Chord signature to be a tad lively in the treble department.

Silver coated cables can sometimes be a bit bright IMHO.