PDA

View Full Version : Chromecast Audio vs Raspberry Rpi/HifiBerry Digi+

Bourneendboy
03-02-2018, 18:43
I'm currently using a CCA with a Beresford Caiman SEG. 90% of my listening is done via Bubble UPNP accessing files stored on a hard drive, otherwise it's Deezer.

I have used a Pi before, but not with the SEG and I'm now wondering if there are any SQ improvements to be had using a Pi with a Digi board for coax or optical.

I really like the convenience and simplicity of the CCA, so it only an increase in SQ that is of interest to me.

Any thoughts?

WAD62
03-02-2018, 19:01
I'm currently using a CCA with a Beresford Caiman SEG. 90% of my listening is done via Bubble UPNP accessing files stored on a hard drive, otherwise it's Deezer.

I have used a Pi before, but not with the SEG and I'm now wondering if there are any SQ improvements to be had using a Pi with a Digi board for coax or optical.

I really like the convenience and simplicity of the CCA, so it only an increase in SQ that is of interest to me.

Any thoughts?

A pi2 with a hifiberry digi+ pro sounds better than a CCA, if you have an rca spdif input...

Sherwood
03-02-2018, 22:30
I have a Pi with the Digi+. It is good but nowhere near as good as my Allo Digione Pi system. The only downside to the latter is that it does not have an optical output but this is in order to maximise sound quality. I also use this with a Caiman SEG and believe it offers SQ hard to match anywhere near its price.

Geoff

Sherwood
03-02-2018, 22:32

Any thoughts?

BTW. Was going to put the Pi/Hifi Berry Digi+ up for sale. PM me if interested. Can supply it with Volumio already configured.

struth
03-02-2018, 22:50
Bubble works well enough but looks terrible alas. Got cca's and an rpi with its own dac. Pi is better but cca is easier. Actually prefer jriver but it's not suitable for all situations. Bluetooth 4.2 is very decent too and not to be confused with earlier incarnations

Bourneendboy
04-02-2018, 08:04
BTW. Was going to put the Pi/Hifi Berry Digi+ up for sale. PM me if interested. Can supply it with Volumio already configured.

Now that you have said the Allo is so much better........

Sherwood
04-02-2018, 08:18
Now that you have said the Allo is so much better........

Yes it is. It is also much more expensive. I think it is about 4 times the price of the basic Digi+ board.

Geoff

Primalsea
04-02-2018, 09:38
I use a Pi3 with Volumio and a USB DAC. I believe that you have more options to play hi res files in their native format and to upsample with the Pi3.

Simon_LDT
04-02-2018, 11:20
I have a Pi with the Digi+. It is good but nowhere near as good as my Allo Digione Pi system. The only downside to the latter is that it does not have an optical output but this is in order to maximise sound quality. I also use this with a Caiman SEG and believe it offers SQ hard to match anywhere near its price.

Geoff

Is the Digione really that much better? Have looked at it before but have stayed with the Digi+ as am skeptical about any SQ increase.

Sherwood
04-02-2018, 11:29
Is the Digione really that much better? Have looked at it before but have stayed with the Digi+ as am skeptical about any SQ increase.

Simon,

Yes. The biggest improvement is the lower noise threshold and greater clarity. I played both the Hifiberry Digi+ and Digione through the Caiman SEG and listened to wide variety of music. Listening through my Maggies (which are very revealing) I found the Digione much clearer. Lyrics were easier to follow, the soundstage was improved, and subtle nuances were easier to follow. I wouldn't say that the bass was deeper but textures seemed to be better resolved. All listening was initially done with a standard SMPS. I found an even greater improvement when I powered the Digione with a battery power supply. It costs a lot more than other Pi audio boards, but still a bargain at 90 quid or thereabouts. Allo do a nice case too, if appearance is a factor.

Geoff

Simon_LDT
05-02-2018, 14:21
Thanks Geoff, think I'll give it a punt. However, does anyone know if it'll be compatible with my DAC (Arcam D33)? I would assume it just replaces the digi+, but as the Digione has a reclocker built in I'm not sure. I can't seem to find whether my DAC is a master or slave (or both?) in regards to clocking. I know it does have it's own clock built in.

Sherwood
05-02-2018, 14:31
Thanks Geoff, think I'll give it a punt. However, does anyone know if it'll be compatible with my DAC (Arcam D33)? I would assume it just replaces the digi+, but as the Digione has a reclocker built in I'm not sure. I can't seem to find whether my DAC is a master or slave (or both?) in regards to clocking. I know it does have it's own clock built in.

I think it works with any dac with an rca coaxial input. Just feeds it with the cleanest signal.

Geoff

Simon_LDT
05-02-2018, 14:41
I think it works with any dac with an rca coaxial input. Just feeds it with the cleanest signal.

Geoff

That's what I'm thinking, I just remember when the Allo Kali reclocker came out I was interested to try it but then found out it only works with slave DAC's, so I didn't risk it. I would think though that the Kali does something different with the signal, whereas the Digione is still outputting as S/PDIF.

Colin2040
12-02-2018, 22:07
Sorry but I thought I would reserve the this thread. I am creating a second system . I have the speakers and power amp. Just collecting the parts for a Preamp but was looking for some inside info on the use of a raspberry pi3 with hifi berry dac. I guess the queries are I intend using this as a server using a hard drive or sd cards. Does the unit take power from a wallwart type plug @nd if I use a package like volumio can I feed directly into the power amp using a tablet for volume control? Sorry I a bit of a Luddite when it comes to tech like this and would appreciate an6 input.
Colin

Colin2040
12-02-2018, 22:07
It isn’t specifically hifi berry would consider others.

Sherwood
12-02-2018, 22:47
Sorry but I thought I would reserve the this thread. I am creating a second system . I have the speakers and power amp. Just collecting the parts for a Preamp but was looking for some inside info on the use of a raspberry pi3 with hifi berry dac. I guess the queries are I intend using this as a server using a hard drive or sd cards. Does the unit take power from a wallwart type plug @nd if I use a package like volumio can I feed directly into the power amp using a tablet for volume control? Sorry I a bit of a Luddite when it comes to tech like this and would appreciate an6 input.
Colin

Colin,

yes, Volumio allows you to control volume from the app. In fact, you can set the default power on volume and a maximum volume. I use an Allo Digione spdif board with Rpi3 into a Caiman SEG DAC. Although this can be used as a digital preamp, I use it in DAC mode and feed it directly into a power amp. This is the best mode for SQ in my opinion.

Geoff

Sherwood
12-02-2018, 22:52
Colin

You can use the Rpi as a digital feed with something like the Hifiberry DIGI+ or Allo Digione. I have both and the latter is much better although 4 times the price. However, you need to use each with a DAC to convert the digital feed to an analogue system. Alternatively, you can get a complete DAC solution for the Rpi.

Geoff

Colin2040
13-02-2018, 07:03
Thanks this helps, I will look at others but at a price point the raspberry is pretty good but I looked at a few others. One thing I thought of is that some time ago as a result of gettin* a Sonos I converted all files to apple lossless as the system had issues with the files that were in various formats. It’s worked well but I assume the raspberry will accept most files or will apple lossless be an issue

mightymonoped
13-02-2018, 08:35
Thanks this helps, I will look at others but at a price point the raspberry is pretty good but I looked at a few others. One thing I thought of is that some time ago as a result of gettin* a Sonos I converted all files to apple lossless as the system had issues with the files that were in various formats. It’s worked well but I assume the raspberry will accept most files or will apple lossless be an issue

Don't underestimate the quality of the all in one RPi solutions. My jaw hit the floor when I heard the IQaudio RPi/DAC against my Audio Analogue Paganini Mk2. The subsequent move to the Allo BOSS all-in-one (master DAC so no additional re-clocking) was a similar step up. You can choose your own software; I have tried a few but my preference is still Volumio. It's a low cost, low overhead, high quality system that plays everything digital that I need, FLAC, Apple Lossless, MP3, Spotify Streaming, Apple Airplay (any content on iPhone or iPad) from whatever source, wireless, wired, USB and NAS drive. Couldn't be happier with it, only time I use the computer is when I'm ripping new content to store on the NAS drive.

Colin2040
13-02-2018, 12:39
This is sounding like my sort of technology. I will do some more research.