PDA

View Full Version : Rather tasty version of the SP10!

Jimbo
30-01-2018, 21:27
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/exclusive-one-week-technics-new-sl-1000r-direct-drive-turntable

rubber duck
31-01-2018, 11:45
So who thinks measurements don't matter?

YNWaN
31-01-2018, 11:55
It's 10K for the platter and motor unit and another 10K for the arm and plinth. From the linked to review I wouldn't say the plinth and arm seem like a very worthwhile buy.

Barry
31-01-2018, 17:04
I wouldn't get too hung up on the wow and flutter figures: they're very good, but not an order of magnitude better than what you can reasonably expect from other manufacturers. No mention of rumble figures.

I have little faith in the capability of the reviewer - if the Technics arm has an effective length of 10", that's 254mm in new money; clearly there was a misprint in the data sheet.

sq225917
31-01-2018, 18:15
I love that he uses reel to reel tape as a reference for speed stability in his 'review', an area in which it pales in accuracy to CD and all other digital formats. Not the most technical Fremer. Likewise I don't trust his phone app to give anywhere near an accurate speed measurement.

topoxforddoc
01-02-2018, 08:01
"It sounded as it measured, with a reel-to-reel tape-like rhythmic consistency and accuracy that produced severe relaxation and unprecedented, in my experience, low listener fatigue"

Nothing wrong with that Simon. I know exactly what he means, as I have switched most of my listening from vinyl (Platine Verdier) to R2R (several studio machines - Studer A820, A807/II, Otari MTR12, and Sony APR 5003). Tape has a constant linear velocity at say 15 IPS, as opposed to a record having a constant angular velocity (33.33 RPM = 200 degrees per sec). Speed stability can be an audible issue on vinyl e.g. on piano, where you can hear subtle tone variation - you generally don't get that on tape (although you can get scrape flutter on R2R).