PDA

View Full Version : Roon. What do think?

Boyse6748
23-01-2018, 23:12
Well, Roon, expensive... yes but is it worth it?

I’ve spent loads on downloading files at extortionate rates, to get supposedly there is the best to be.

What Roon has exposed, is that it can combine both hd downloads and streamed music to play via one interface.

It’s frightening expensive, initially but the cost demises overtime for what you actually get.

Many thousands of downloaded files and more via streaming all integrated together........well..... what a combination.

Try it !!!! The sound quality is stunning! Via Roon

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gazjam
24-01-2018, 06:05
Well, Roon, expensive... yes but is it worth it?

I’ve spent loads on downloading files at extortionate rates, to get supposedly there is the best to be.

What Roon has exposed, is that it can combine both hd downloads and streamed music to play via one interface.

It’s frightening expensive, initially but the cost demises overtime for what you actually get.

Many thousands of downloaded files and more via streaming all integrated together........well..... what a combination.

Try it !!!! The sound quality is stunning! Via Roon

Peter

Couldnt ageee more!
Seems a natural successor to Squeezebox software to me.

Stratmangler
24-01-2018, 08:11
What Roon has exposed, is that it can combine both hd downloads and streamed music to play via one interface

So what's new about that?
Squeezebox server in its various guises has been capable of doing it for at least a decade.

Roon does do things that Squeezebox server cannot, but HD download and streamed music capabilities have been around for ages.

WESTLOWER
24-01-2018, 09:17
I have used Roon for about a month now.
It's seamless, quick, informative, looks great, easy to use and sounds fantastic IMHO.
For me, it's a total no brainer at £90 a year ( i opted for the yearly sub)
Previously I have used Squeezebox, Logitec Media Server, Bubble, Rpi etc.
This is a NO faff approach that allows one just to integrate and indulge in music for different sources but combined as one.
I wish i'd done it sooner.

Gazjam
24-01-2018, 10:18
Miss some of the plugins I used in LMS though...

WESTLOWER
24-01-2018, 10:33
Miss some of the plugins I used in LMS though...
which plugins do you miss?

Gazjam
24-01-2018, 17:42
Spotify mainly, and the VU meter plugin for my Transporter...though Roon got that magic happening with an earlier update. :)

No Spotify via Roon yet, though I do have the facility to play it as an app from my Nvidia Shield Tv box, the audio streamed through my Oppo player into the telly or through the Dac.
By far a better option is the Spotify Connect facility my new dac has, hear it (ok its 320K MP3 but sounds great) at its best.

Most LMS plugins functionality I used can be done by Roon I guess now, which is why I think its the spiritual successor to it.
Heres an open source plugin development side to it too...so who knows whats in the future.

Exciting stuff this comouter audio. :)

Stratmangler
24-01-2018, 17:53
You could run piCorePlayer on a Raspi, and just have it sat in the background.
Every time you want to Spotify, switch server, and switch back to Roon when you're done.
The Radio Paradise flac plugin on LMS sounds excellent too.

WAD62
24-01-2018, 21:59
You could run piCorePlayer on a Raspi, and just have it sat in the background.
Every time you want to Spotify, switch server, and switch back to Roon when you're done.
The Radio Paradise flac plugin on LMS sounds excellent too.
Indeed, and a pi3 runs LMS with ease...

Edward
24-01-2018, 23:14
+1 for Roon - together with Tidal. I'm still on a 60 day trial of Roon. Adam and I have been sharing our experiences. He leads and I follow. :lol:

Love the 'discovery' option - I keep discovering stuff I thought I never had and then with the close integration with Tidal it makes for a winning combination.

But what a key selling point for Roon, and this is why it is relatively expensive, is the enhanced metadata it pulls in which connects stuff like artists, composers, "similar to" and "influenced by" which makes discovering new music just an interesting trip. Their handling of classical music metadata is second to none.

I can't say I detect any difference in SQ to JRiver which I have been using for years.

My main worry is the possibility of Tidal going out of business as still, so far as I can make out, they are burning cash for their owners. And with Spotify soon to launch their lossless stream it will become even more difficult for Tidal. Also Spotify have, so far, refused to have their service being incorporated into Roon. Roon without a lossless stream is simply not attractive.

One big negative I find with Roon is the inability of using their service outside one's LAN - something that JRiver does with ease.

WESTLOWER
24-01-2018, 23:16
Indeed, and a pi3 runs LMS with ease...

Yes but that's faffing about and as first said, Roon's beauty is the intergration
Amazing they are not Spotify friendly yet..
I don't know the history of Roons business, but why the Tidal exclusivity?

Edward
24-01-2018, 23:27
Yes but that's faffing about and as first said, Roon's beauty is the intergration

On the Roon forums the Roon guys mention they would love to do Spotify but Spotify refuses. The guess that Spotify do not wish their uses to be taken away from their front end and the Spotify branding.

WESTLOWER
24-01-2018, 23:50
On the Roon forums the Roon guys mention they would love to do Spotify but Spotify refuses. The guess that Spotify do not wish their uses to be taken away from their front end and the Spotify branding.

Yuk!

Stratmangler
25-01-2018, 00:00

Why is it then that Spotify has played ball with the open source community that writes what is currently termed LMS?
The recent(ish) service provision changes Spotify made were already well in hand when the changes took effect.

As far as the front end bit goes, the Spotty app on LMS looks nothing like the web based browser control that most users utilise.

I suspect that Spotify play ball with the Squeezebox community precisely because it's an open source community.
There's no vested interest, other than permitting Spotify subscribers a wider range of access means.
With Roon there's financial interest, and that may negatively impact current Spotify royalty agreements.

Stratmangler
25-01-2018, 00:09

What's the faff?
You just redirect the player to another server, which is easily driven by either app on a tablet, or local http:// page using a web browser (which is what I do 99% of the time).
As for the rest, Roon is a commercial enterprise, is it not?
Need I say any more?

struth
25-01-2018, 00:11
Why is it then that Spotify has played ball with the open source community that writes what is currently termed LMS?
The recent(ish) service provision changes Spotify made were already well in hand when the changes took effect.

As far as the front end bit goes, the Spotty app on LMS looks nothing like the web based browser control that most users utilise.

I suspect that Spotify play ball with the Squeezebox community precisely because it's an open source community.
There's no vested interest, other than permitting Spotify subscribers a wider range of access means.
With Roon there's financial interest, and that may negatively impact current Spotify royalty agreements.

Correct

WESTLOWER
25-01-2018, 01:00
What's the faff?
You just redirect the player to another server, which is easily driven by either app on a tablet, or local http:// page using a web browser (which is what I do 99% of the time).
As for the rest, Roon is a commercial enterprise, is it not?
Need I say any more?
Well a few issues were thrown up with LMS
One being it only allows 500 items in your favorites from your streaming service which is pants.
I wrote to LMS and indeed there was no way round it.500 was the limit. My Tidal library would only show up to the letter G
In LMS...
Anyway I have used both approaches and can tell you I'd never go back to what I think is a faff
As I previously said having the meta data and the seamless integration is worth the expense.
For me it is a different planet to LMS, Rpi route. £90 a year. Blimey in the scheme of Hifi world ... peanuts!

Edward
25-01-2018, 09:18

Well I never used any LMS/Squeezebox stuff so can't comment. Did Spotify actually allow all of this or was it simply clever people getting around the Spotify SDK in much the same way some apps gets around the iplayer restrictions?

Stratmangler
25-01-2018, 10:57
Well I never used any LMS/Squeezebox stuff so can't comment. Did Spotify actually allow all of this or was it simply clever people getting around the Spotify SDK in much the same way some apps gets around the iplayer restrictions?

Spotify notified one of the key members of the team about the forthcoming changes, and told them the detail of how the service delivery was being changed.
When change day arrived the Spotty app was already up and running.
If that doesn't constitute cooperation I don't know what does.

Edward
25-01-2018, 12:41
Cool. I hope Spotify changes their mind and allows Roon incorporation.

struth
25-01-2018, 12:43
It's why jriver couldn't get a link in either as they are a profit making entity

WAD62
25-01-2018, 14:26

I much prefer the LMS/Spotty interface to the native Spotify one, it's much more album centric than the native app, and being able to add albums to the end of playlist is much more in keeping with the overall LMS approach.

It pays to keep things open source Chris...:cool:

Gazjam
05-02-2018, 17:08
Can now do Spotify connect and Tidal MQA through MConnect app with the new Dac.
Sounds pretty tremendous, and great to have so much music to stream.

struth
05-02-2018, 17:11
thats a bonus. spotify is pretty decent for loosy files.. imo theirs is best ive heard although not perfect

Boyse6748
05-02-2018, 17:52
MQA files are the bees knees. (or the best yet) and more to come.... for sure. Looking forward to getting the Mytek Brooklyn DAC... built in MQA Chip. (a couple of weeks yet... I’ll report back)....

Lifetime subscription to Roon.

Sorry from a Vinyl Junky...I’m sure it will only get better.

Peter

lovejoy
06-02-2018, 13:39
I have to say, I was blown away with MQA when I first heard it, but I'm becoming increasingly cynical towards it.

I've heard a couple of albums on Tidal Masters now which have not been well mastered - There was one album (I think it was Getz/Gilberto) that had it's left and right channels reversed from any version I've ever heard of it before and there's a Beck album where you can clearly hear popping/clipping in a number of tracks, which begs the question, who exactly is doing the 'Authentication' bit here?

I've also noticed that there's a certain character to the MQA stuff. It's almost like everything has been remastered to sound like it came out of the same studio. I guess with the rate that they're pushing out MQA albums now, there's probably some sort of Pro-Tools plugin that can do the whole job in minutes and everything comes out sounding the same!

Boyse6748
08-02-2018, 19:08
Sitting here listening to Roon.... after you fav album ends... and then Roon finds all this stuff, that you ain’t never heard.... but wish you had !!!!!

This really is the dogs!!!. How does it do it I ask!!

It’s a real delight.....!!! Not Vinyl ,but who cares when music is this good!.,!

Peter