PDA

View Full Version : Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player in DA HOUSE!

Marco
23-01-2018, 21:02
Needed to get a proper 4K Blu-ray player (to match my 4K Sony TV), rather than simply an upscaling one as I had before, so have upgraded this one, which until now has served me well (Sony BDP-S6700):

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/F25WtS.jpg

To this (Sony UBP-X800):

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/PjQVPJ.jpg

Full details here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800

Bought it from John Lewis for £329, with a 2 year guarantee. I could have got it for less from Sevenoaks (£269), but I wanted the extra year's guarantee. All I can say is WOW, in terms of picture and sound quality with movies, what a difference! The colours are simply stunning... Everything just looks and sounds so much more real :eek:

I honestly think that this player could rival the OPPO, for significantly less money, it's *that* good.... I'll also be using it as a CD transport (along with a Beresford Bushmaster II DAC) to play CDs in my downstairs home-cinema system, so it'll be interesting to see if I can hear any difference in terms of sound, using music as a reference, compared with the previous Sony player.

More later! :cool:

Marco.

struth
23-01-2018, 21:31
that standard sony(6700) is one of the ones ive got earmarked for the boy. his pioneer has given up the ghost.

Marco
23-01-2018, 21:36
It's a brilliant little player, Grant. If you want mine, you can have it for a good price. It's minty, as I only got it last September. PM me if you want to discuss it :)

Marco.

struth
23-01-2018, 21:43
It's a brilliant little player, Grant. If you want mine, you can have it for a good price. It's minty, as I only got it last September. PM me if you want to discuss it :)

Marco.

thought you would be keeping it as backup mate... it is 97 quid new mind so not cheap but cheaper than the pioneer replacement

struth
23-01-2018, 21:58
The 4K Sony should be a big step up as u have a 4K tv. My bro just bought himself an oled tv

Marco
23-01-2018, 22:08
thought you would be keeping it as backup mate...

Could've done, but I'm not big on gear lying around that's not getting used, especially when it could be going to a good home where it'll be appreciated :)

Yeah, the new Sony player is *really* good, especially with 4K Blu-rays. I think the built-in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X is having a significant impact on things.

Marco.

struth
23-01-2018, 22:13
Yeah the atmos is astonishing tech. Up to 128 audio channels lol

Marco
23-01-2018, 23:56
I know, it really does enhance the whole cinematic experience, as does the DTS:X element, as described on the Sony website:

DTS:X can create an unlimited number of audio objects which adapt to your speakers in real time, to get the biggest impact out of every movie soundtrack.

Never experienced movies at home as good as this in my life... Awesome!! :yesbruv:

Marco.

Marco
24-01-2018, 13:18
Still really enjoying this player. Was up to the wee small hours yesterday watching movies and listening to music, as the experience is just *so* captivating!

I'll comment on the music side in some detail later, as it's quite exceptional for a £300 machine, but in the meantime for those interested, here's short video detailing the features and benefits of the player and its matching amp, which I also use:

mEnYBgc1DyI

It really is a brilliant combo, with a sound and video performance that's able to compete with the best! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
26-01-2018, 00:12
Well, having lived with this player now for a few days, aside from it's utterly stunning performance with movies, both in terms of picture quality, and the beguilingly immersive sounds it produces with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, I can now confirm that it's equally as accomplished with 2-channel music (when used with a suitable DAC).

Of course, as the UBP-X800 doesn't have an in-built DAC, then when it's performing audio duties in a 2-channel hi-fi system, with a normal stereo amplifier, it needs to be used in conjunction with a separate DAC, in my case a Beresford Bushmaster II, via the Sony's digital coaxial output. In this instance, the cable used to connect the two was a Klotz MC-5000.

You certainly get the sense that the X800 is a high-end player, designed to deliver a superior audio performance, featuring a frame-and-beam chassis, which offers a rigid structure to help eliminate micro-vibrations, as well as effective electrical shielding, such as shown here:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/8kiFBY.jpg

That combined with a glossy black mid-section, sandwiched between two stippled charcoal-grey metal slabs. makes the entire player not only feel substantial and well-engineered (some 4kg), but unquestionably enables it to deliver quite exceptional sonic performance, when used in this instance, as a standalone CD transport. In summary, the whole package is very well-screwed together and reassuringly solid.

The sound produced, partnered by the superb Beresford Bushmaster II, is filigree-detailed, lifelike, smooth and musically addictive - and crucially, blissfully free from any evidence of 'glare', which in my experience mars much digital equipment at this price level, but not this Sony/Beresford combo. I suspect that Stan's careful voicing of the DAC, and the attention to detail Sony have put into the design of this player, in terms of vibration control and reducing the effects of microphony, have paid dividends, and is responsible for its very accomplished, 'grown up' sound.

Information retrieval is forensic-like, offering pin-point insight into the musical programme, but is achieved naturally and unforced (almost like good vinyl), and delivered with just the right amount of warmth. As such, it promotes extended listening sessions, without fatigue. Midrange information, such as vocals, is delivered clearly and convincingly, and believably real, with female vocals in particular imbued with a lovely natural texture and tone.

Bass frequencies are rock-solid, deep and extended, but also foot-tappingly tuneful, producing a sound that's high on 'boogie factor', when the music demands, whilst underpinning it with the requisite authority, in order that when necessary bass notes can be felt as well as heard. All in all, the Sony/Beresford combo, at under £700, produces a very even-handed, insightful and thoroughly rewarding performance with CD, sounding like considerably more expensive equipment, such is its ability to allow you to 'relax into the music', whilst drawing you right in and forgetting about the hardware.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/l7Q5uW.jpg

The Bushmaster II magic...

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/N8AOsm.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/julIn9.jpg

I've honestly heard inferior sound from some £1500 'high-end' CD players, so for anyone who owns a home-cinema system, and wants not only top-notch video performance and sound with movies (and here the Sony positively excels with 4K Blu-rays), but also to get superb sound from CDs, or who's looking for a quality, cost-effective CD transport to use with an off-board DAC, I can't recommend the UBP-X800 highly enough. It ticks all the boxes, and then some, especially in terms of 'SPPV'.

Factor in too, 4K UHD streaming of YouTube and Netflix content, making 5.1 channel music videos, and movies positively come alive, as well as Blu-rays, and the Sony UBP-X800 is quite a bargain, and comfortably at home acting as a quality source component in any good home-movie or hi-fi system.

Highly recommended then? Abso-bloody-lutely! :thumbsup:

Marco.

Phil Lawton
26-01-2018, 10:59
Had the same player for Christmas, Marco...and I can do nothing but concur with you. Astonishing performance.

Marco
26-01-2018, 11:50
Indeed, Phil. It's as if Sony have said 'Let's make a statement Blu-ray player, which gets absolutely everything right, and do it at a bargain price'... If that was the brief, then they've certainly succeeded! :)

Have you tried it with CDs or SACDs yet, using it with an off-board DAC, or have you just tried it with movies? :cool:

Marco.

struth
26-01-2018, 12:23
its a big heavy bugger too. certainly good value if it lasts the course

Marco
26-01-2018, 12:41
Yours is all boxed up and ready to go to the PO :)

Marco.

struth
26-01-2018, 12:50
no bother.. cheers.:)

Marco
26-01-2018, 13:56
I'm also trialing (free for 7 days) the Berlin Philharmoniker app on the Sony, with a view, if I like it, to signing up for a monthly subscription, see here: https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/info

The sound quality of the concert broadcasts is simply stunning, markedly better than CD, and with this Sony player that's saying something! However the vibrancy and sheer clarity of the sound, coupled with the pin-sharp HD picture (almost seems like UHD, such is the level of lifelike resolution), makes for both spellbinding viewing and listening.

Currently enjoying a concert recorded on 13th May this year, featuring the Berlin Philharmoniker, performing Shostakovich's Concerto for Cello and Orchestra, conducted by Gautier Capuçon, with Semyon Bychkov (cello), and it's just fantastic :)

Can't wait to watch a live concert on Saturday night, from Berlin, featuring Mariss Jansons and Daniil Trifonov, with Schumann's piano concerto! :cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
27-01-2018, 15:49
The Sony should be able to upscale to 4K Marco.

Marco
27-01-2018, 15:52
Yeah mate, that's probably what it's doing. The picture quality just looks much clearer and sharper than standard HD :)

Shame you're not into classical music, as the live concert streaming is stunning!

Marco.

Phil Lawton
29-01-2018, 13:37
Have you tried it with CDs or SACDs yet, using it with an off-board DAC, or have you just tried it with movies? :cool:

Marco.

Weirdly, no...I must put that right.

The only SACD I own is the 30th anniversary hybrid thing of "Dark Side Of The Moon" - I must give it (and some other, normal discs) a spin.

BTW, amongst quite a few others, I can recommend the 4k of "Lucy"...watched it on Saturday night. Frighteningly detailed.

struth
29-01-2018, 13:42
Indeed, Phil. It's as if Sony have said 'Let's make a statement Blu-ray player, which gets absolutely everything right, and do it at a bargain price'... If that was the brief, then they've certainly succeeded! :)

Marco.

you would need to extract the audio from a sacd from hdmi i think before passing to dac

Marco
29-01-2018, 13:46
No, the UBP-X800 plays SACDs straight. I don't think there's any audio or video disc format it can't play, which is one of the great things about it :)

Marco.

struth
29-01-2018, 13:48
i thought sacd is only through hdmi or analogue 2 channel. be ok if using a amp with hdmi but not a normal 2 channel amp

Marco
29-01-2018, 13:51
Nope, if I play an SACD on the Sony, I hear it through the Beresford DAC, to which it's connected, or I can also divert the signal (via an HDMI lead) to the on-board DAC inside my Sony AV amp (simply by changing the input), and listen to it that way.

It's fun comparing the sound quality of both DACs. The Bushmaster wins fairly comfortably! :)

Marco.

Gazjam
29-01-2018, 14:18
Nope, if I play an SACD on the Sony, I hear it through the Beresford DAC, to which it's connected, or I can also divert the signal (via an HDMI lead) to the on-board DAC inside my Sony AV amp (simply by changing the input), and listen to it that way.

It's fun comparing the sound quality of both DACs. The Bushmaster wins fairly comfortably! :)

Marco.

More than likely Marco you'll be hearing the CD layer mate in PCM, not the SACD.
I think the Sony can be configured output DSD (i.e. SACD) though, from via HDMI output into a receiver?

Marco
29-01-2018, 14:26
I'll double check it, dude, when I get a chance, just to be sure. If the latter is the case, then I'll certainly be hearing the SACD, outputted via the HDMI lead, connected to the Blu-ray player, through the DAC inside my Sony AV amp...

Marco.

Marco
29-01-2018, 14:44
From the Sony website, outlining the player's features and media it supports: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/PBbyvj.jpg

Note the SACD logo above, followed by this quote:

Want to dance around to your Super Audio CD collection? No problem. If it’s a disc, the UBP-X800 will almost certainly be able to play it.

:cool:

Marco.

Marco
29-01-2018, 15:12
Interesting... I've just popped this SACD into the Sony:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/nQ8bQ7.jpg

...which it clearly recognises as an SACD, as it says: "Super Audio CD" on the playback screen on my TV, and it sounds fab!

Now, that's with it going through the DAC in the Sony amp, as the input is set to 'BD/DVD' - and as it's a multi-channel SACD recording, the sound is coming through all the speakers connected to my cinema system (fronts, subs, centre and rears).

Now, when I change the input on the amp to 'Video 1', which the Bushmaster DAC is connected to, via a digital coaxial cable and analogue stereo interconnects, I lose the sound through anything else but the front speakers, and it changes to basic stereo (still sounds fab, although of course a bit different)...

So what does that mean, in terms of the SACD factor we're discussing? :)

Marco.

struth
29-01-2018, 15:16
your getting full sacd via hdmi and 2 channel stereo via spidif(non sacd). there are various reasons for it or were at time. main one is sony dont want it any other way but there is bandwidth limitations via spidif for multichannel anyway. if you want sacd through the beresford you could get the neet extractor ive got

struth
29-01-2018, 15:16
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H8T1DJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Marco
29-01-2018, 15:19
Okies dude, noted on both counts. I've bookmarked the extractor. Bottom line though, is that I can enjoy full SACD quality with the Sony, because I'm using it with the right amp (cables and DAC) :)

Marco.

struth
29-01-2018, 15:36
ive been extracting audio cd or bluray with it into my stereo and sounds great. not actually tried a sacd yet although i do have a few somewhere. redbook via this box is better than coax or tos imv.
gaz has one too

Marco
30-01-2018, 15:38
Just bought one of these little chaps from Mark Grant: https://markgrant.co.uk/sboosters/16-sbooster-for-beresford-bushmaster.html

Not exactly new, so many folks will be aware of them and what they do, but as I haven't played around with them before, I have to say for the modest outlay they really do make a difference to the (already excellent) performance of the BM II - simply by 'tidying up' the sound, in terms of reducing the influence of noise (mains 'hash') on the music signal, thus improving the quality of sound reproduction in all areas.

The addition of the S-Booster has simply served to further increase my enjoyment of music on my secondary system, which is beginning to become less 'secondary' by the day... ;)

In my view, such is its 'no-brainer' efficacy, the S-Booster should be considered as mandatory equipment (and not simply an 'accessory') by all Beresford Bushmaster II users. (Very) highly recommended! :cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
30-01-2018, 16:36
Can be fun to start improving the second system, reminds you of the enjoyment you had building up the main one. :)

Marco
31-01-2018, 10:17
Absolutely, mate. You're also not as critical of the sound, so tend not to over-analyze it, as you often might do with your 'big rig', and so just enjoy the music for what it is - a great cure for 'audiophilia nervosa'! :)

Marco.

Marco
31-01-2018, 10:35
Just a small thing I've observed with the Sony player, not a bug as such, rather more of a 'quirk'...

If you've been streaming music from Spotify, YouTube, or were using any of the apps on the homepage, and once finished simply leave the unit to go into standby mode, if you try and use it again afterwards to play a disc, the drawer tray won't open, as the unit won't respond to that command until you've hit the 'Home' button on the remote control, which cancels all previous commands.

The best thing to do, before each new session, is to 'wake up' the player, from standby mode, by pressing the 'Home' button. That way, you'll always be starting afresh, and it'll be ready to receive a new command.

Took me a while to suss what was happening, as initially I thought the player had developed a fault. Just thought I'd let folks know, existing or future users (perhaps Phil), in case they encounter that issue and also think it's a fault :)

Marco.

struth
31-01-2018, 11:13
Just a small thing I've observed with the Sony player, not a bug as such, rather more of a 'quirk'...

If you've been streaming music from Spotify, YouTube, or were using any of the apps on the homepage, and once finished simply leave the unit to go into standby mode, if you try and use it again afterwards to play a disc, the drawer tray won't open, as the unit won't respond to that command until you've hit the 'Home' button on the remote control, which cancels all previous commands.

The best thing to do, before each new session, is to 'wake up' the player, from standby mode, by pressing the 'Home' button. That way, you'll always be starting afresh, and it'll be ready to receive a new command.

Took me a while to suss what was happening, as initially I thought the player had developed a fault. Just thought I'd let folks know, existing or future users (perhaps Phil), in case they encounter that issue and also think it's a fault :)

Marco.

my oppo can do that too.

WAD62
31-01-2018, 14:10
Hi Marco, I notice the X800 does HDR, have you tried it out yet?

I've just got a Panasonic UB900, with HDR and the results are spectacular...:eyebrows:

Marco
31-01-2018, 14:15
Hi Will,

Yup, I noticed you're recent acquisition - nice one :)

How would I 'try out' HDR, as such - doesn't the player automatically default to that mode, if the software played supports it?

For example, if I'm playing a 4K Blu-ray disc, won't the Sony automatically default to HDR, or do I need to manually set something on the player's settings menu, in order to activate it?

FYI, I already have a 4K compatible TV.

Marco.

WAD62
31-01-2018, 14:48
FYI, I already have a 4K compatible TV.

Hi Marco,

FYI The TV needs to be HDR compatible too, with my Panasonic this came with a firmware update, and added an option on the HDMI input settings, this is to permit HDR via that input, the default on mine was OFF so once set the TV will enter HDR mode, if there is an HDR source,

Have a check to see if there's an HDR upgrade available for your TV, or it may already have it, check in your HDMI settings

The most reliable way of checking it is via an HDR disk, when you press 'i' or info on your TV during playback you should see '3840*2160/24Hz(or60Hz)/HDR'

The other HDR sources are Netflix (requires a 4 screen account) , Amazon, and Youtube however panasonic's Youtube app doesn't provide HDR support, but I do have HDR working from a Netflix account.

Unfortunately still no news from sky as yet...

Marco
31-01-2018, 16:04
Hi Will,

Thanks for that. First of all, my TV is a 46" Sony KD-43XD8305, full spec here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-43xd8305/specifications

The relevant bit:

Picture (processing) HDR (High Dynamic Range) compatibility: Yes

Video signal support:

4096x2160p(24, 50, 60Hz), 3840x2160p(24, 25, 30, 50, 60Hz), 1080p(30, 50, 60Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i(50, 60Hz), 720p(30, 50, 60Hz), 720/24p, 576p, 576i 480p, 480i.

So we can safely tick the HDR box, and we already know that my Sony Blu-ray player supports HDR.

Now, I've just popped in a 4K UHD Blu-ray disc of 'Alien Resurrection', pressed the 'Display' button on the player's remote control (which performs the same function as the 'i' button on my Sky remote control), and the information displayed is as follows:

1080/24p
HDR>SDR

However... On the TV screen it says at the bottom: Ultra HD Blu-ray HEVC Mbps. There is a big blank space in between HEVC and Mbps.

Now, I know that 1080 is only HD resolution, not UHD or HDR, so what's happening there? The picture quality, however, looks superb.

Is the Blue-ray disc I'm playing only 4K, and not 4K HDR (I don't really understand the difference), or is there a setting on my TV and/or Blu-ray player that needs correcting, in order to activate HDR - or what? :)

Marco.

struth
31-01-2018, 16:08
looks like its reducing it to sdr, or standard dynamic range

struth
31-01-2018, 16:11
may need the firmware update or need to switch hdr on in tv

WAD62
31-01-2018, 16:21
may need the firmware update or need to switch hdr on in tv
Have a rummage in the TV settings menu, in or around HDMI settings, I have an HDR on/off (default off) for each of my HDMI inputs...

Marco
31-01-2018, 16:22
Hi Grant and Will,

Sounds feasible. If we take the TV controls first of all.

Ok, I'm into the advanced settings on the HDMI 1 input, which is what I use. There are two settings there that look relevant, which are:

HDR Mode. This is currently set at 'Auto'. The other options available are: 'HDR10', which makes the picture look really horrible, 'HLG', and 'Off'.

The other (what I suspect is relevant) setting is:

HDMI Video Range. This currently also set at 'Auto'. The other options available are: 'Full' and 'Limited'.

What, if anything, would you change there? :)

Marco.

WAD62
31-01-2018, 16:24
...nothing!

One thought, what speed's your HDMI cable?

struth
31-01-2018, 16:30
you could try a different hdmi port on both tv and bluray..

another option is to do a power recycle on all equipment after any firmware updates. switch all off and unplug. leave for 10 mins and restart.

Marco
31-01-2018, 16:35
...nothing!

One thought, what speed's your HDMI cable?

No idea... It was a good one though (£30 worth), which came with the TV, and the box is long gone. So what to do? :hmm:

One other thought, if we go to the set-up section of the Blu-ray player, and into the Screen Settings...

The first available option is:

HDR Output. Description: Set whether to enable HDR output for video content. It is currently set on 'Auto'. The other option is 'Off'.

Then there is:

Output Video Resolution. Description: Set the HDMI resolution for the TV output. It is currently set on 'Auto'. The other options are:

'Original Resolution', '480i/576i', '480p/576p', '720p', '1080i', '1080p', and '4k'.

It is currently set on 'Auto'. Should it be set on 4K instead, or perhaps original resolution?

Marco.

struth
31-01-2018, 16:35
leave them on auto

Marco
31-01-2018, 16:39
That's bizarre then, unless like Will says, the HDMI cable I'm using isn't 4K compatible.

Marco.

struth
31-01-2018, 16:40
try what i said re unplugging or/and trying different sockets.

you can get cables that for no obvious reason just dont work with product a, but do on another

WAD62
31-01-2018, 17:04
That's bizarre then, unless like Will says, the HDMI cable I'm using isn't 4K compatible.

Marco.

I'm using the one supplied with my blu-ray player...

You don't have any other output settings on the Sony do you? Perhaps there needs to be some additional configuration, selecting the HDMI output 4:4:4 etc. mine configured itself to the TV via panasonic viera link, so I didn't have to configure it...looks like somethings choking it, settings or cable?

On my blu-ray there is a setting for '4K(50p/60p) Output' , either 4:4:4, 4:2:0, or Off, if it's off presumably it will downsample....

Gazjam
31-01-2018, 18:27

Marco.

I'd try a different HDMI cable Marco, one marked Premium Certified.
Redmere ones are the best imo.

Dont let anyone tell you they dont make a difference!

Phil Lawton
01-02-2018, 08:49

Marco.

Yes, I noticed that...no big deal, as you say.

Marco
01-02-2018, 10:15
I'm using the one supplied with my blu-ray player...

You don't have any other output settings on the Sony do you? Perhaps there needs to be some additional configuration, selecting the HDMI output 4:4:4 etc. mine configured itself to the TV via panasonic viera link, so I didn't have to configure it...looks like somethings choking it, settings or cable?

On my blu-ray there is a setting for '4K(50p/60p) Output' , either 4:4:4, 4:2:0, or Off, if it's off presumably it will downsample....

Sorted! :thumbsup:

I just needed to change the HDMI input on the TV, from HDMI 1, to HDMI 2 or 3, as they support HDR (I selected 2), and then go into Advanced Settings, and put the HDMI Signal Format onto 'Enhanced Format'. It was only on Standard before.

Thanks for your help, guys :cool:

Btw, for any Sony users here, Sony CIC (UK) are extremely helpful, with regard to any technical queries you may have. For reference, their number is: 0207 3652810.

Marco.

WAD62
01-02-2018, 14:58
Sorted! :thumbsup:

...good stuff! :cool:

Covenant
02-02-2018, 17:30
"The sound produced, partnered by the superb Beresford Bushmaster II, is filigree-detailed, lifelike, smooth and musically addictive"-but sooo much better with the Beresford SEG.

Marco
02-02-2018, 17:36
Lol... You may be right! :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
02-02-2018, 18:24
had a feeling it might be like usb3 and some of the sockets wont do it.:)

Marco
02-02-2018, 18:47
Yup, you were pretty much spot on.

Marco.

alphaGT
03-02-2018, 09:55
Glad to hear you are sorted Marco, congrats on your new Sony! This is exactly what I was just talking about in another thread about “Trickle Down Tech”, features you mentioned found in your unit used to only be seen in far more pricey gear. I hear you compared your external Bushmaster against the DAC in your receiver, but how do they compare to the DAC in the new Sony? It may surprise you? This thread has made me want to upgrade my video gear! I’ve got two choices, I can go get fitted for glasses, or buy a larger TV, I’m leaning toward the TV!

Russell

WAD62
03-02-2018, 11:57
Glad to hear you are sorted Marco, congrats on your new Sony! This is exactly what I was just talking about in another thread about “Trickle Down Tech”, features you mentioned found in your unit used to only be seen in far more pricey gear. I hear you compared your external Bushmaster against the DAC in your receiver, but how do they compare to the DAC in the new Sony? It may surprise you? This thread has made me want to upgrade my video gear! I’ve got two choices, I can go get fitted for glasses, or buy a larger TV, I’m leaning toward the TV!

Russell

Or even better, new specs and a new TV! ;)

...especially if you want to fully appreciate 4k resolution

Marco
03-02-2018, 12:20

Russell

Cheers, Russell! It's been great :)

However, there's only a DAC in the Sony AV amp, not in the Blu-ray player, so unfortunately what you're suggesting isn't possible. In terms of your decision dilemma, I'd go for new glasses, simply so you'll see the picture better when you get your new TV!

'Source first', and all that! :D;)

Marco.

alphaGT
03-02-2018, 13:26
Cheers, Russell! It's been great :)

However, there's only a DAC in the Sony AV amp, not in the Blu-ray player, so unfortunately what you're suggesting isn't possible. In terms of your decision dilemma, I'd go for new glasses, simply so you'll see the picture better when you get your new TV!

'Source first', and all that! :D;)

Marco.

Surely there are analog outputs on the Sony? Or perhaps it only has HDMI outputs, besides digital coax, etc.? Whichever, as long as you’re happy! BTW, Guardians of the Galaxy has an amazing soundtrack! That movie would be so awesome on 4K Blu-ray !

And I truly dread the idea of wearing glasses, so I’ll just get an extra large TV! I think I can fit a 60”?

Russell

struth
03-02-2018, 13:28
most dont have them now

Marco
03-02-2018, 13:58
Surely there are analog outputs on the Sony?

Nope... Just two HDMI outputs and a digital coaxial one. Enjoy your new (fat-assed) TV when you get it! :D

Marco.

Marco
03-02-2018, 19:04
Just pulled the trigger on one of these (as recommended by Gaz), as I trust his judgement: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014ROOB9U/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Full report when it arrives! :cool:

Marco.

struth
03-02-2018, 19:11
got one of those. an improvement i think. got ine from amazon usa. think they put price just after.

Marco
03-02-2018, 19:26
Yeah, I could have got it from here, but wasn't sure that it was *exactly* the same cable: http://www.cabledepot.co.uk/1m-thin-wire-hdmi-cable-high-speed-with-ethernet-p-3012.html

I also wanted to compare it to one of these, which I thought looked interesting, and am also going to try: https://www.amazon.com/Fusion4K-High-Speed-HDMI-cable/dp/B00JD3NCQY

May as well have a wee HDMI cable shootout! :cool:

Marco.

struth
03-02-2018, 19:33
First one is the same. Second one is 18 gbps but no mention of redmere chip

Marco
03-02-2018, 19:49
Yup, but is it defo the same, though? It *seems* so, but I'm not certain. and as we're only talking beer money, I couldn't be arsed taking any risk.

The Fusion one looked interesting for other reasons, aside from the Redmere angle, so I wanted to try it against the Monoprice :)

Marco.

struth
03-02-2018, 19:53
Looks similar and has similar spec. It monoprice might be better made. As you say trial may prove it. Some say there is no differences possible but they say that about lots of things

Marco
03-02-2018, 20:08
Indeed. Unless the "some" represents an opinion I rate, then you know what you can do with it! ;)

Marco.

struth
03-02-2018, 20:20
Yup. Gary reckoned he got an improvement so I tried it. It's a nice cable and surprisingly thin

alphaGT
04-02-2018, 12:17
Or even better, new specs and a new TV! ;)

...especially if you want to fully appreciate 4k resolution

My daughter has a large 4K tv, and you’re right about the picture, it’s amazing! When they first got it there wasn’t much in the way of 4K programming, but I suppose that has changed?

Russell

Marco
08-02-2018, 10:17
Just pulled the trigger on one of these (as recommended by Gaz), as I trust his judgement: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014ROOB9U/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Full report when it arrives!

Ok, the cable's now here (arrived a few days ago), and I've been assessing its efficacy.

For now I'll simply say that I'm very pleased indeed with it (and that Gaz was right, as usual with these things), but will go into more detail about my findings on a separate thread, particularly in comparison with the 'same' lead, sold by Cable Depot, as it's not the same at all...

More soon! :cool:

Marco.

WAD62
08-02-2018, 11:05
Looks similar and has similar spec. It monoprice might be better made. As you say trial may prove it. Some say there is no differences possible but they say that about lots of things

Hi Grant, I'm only running a 1.5m HDMI cable, the active monoprice ones seem to come in at 3M, is there any benefit in using the shorter 'passive' one?

struth
08-02-2018, 11:11
Hi Grant, I'm only running a 1.5m HDMI cable, the active monoprice ones seem to come in at 3M, is there any benefit in using the shorter 'passive' one?

i got the smallest active one. its longer than i need but it is excellent. wanted to try the active and think its worth it even for hd as thats all i have at moment. its the only active ive tried(monoprice) but marco has did an A-B and thinks its better than the other one he has.

Marco
08-02-2018, 11:28
Hi Will,

Hi Grant, I'm only running a 1.5m HDMI cable, the active monoprice ones seem to come in at 3M..

Not so if you order it from Cable Depot, where what seems like a similar cable, is available from 1m upwards: https://www.cabledepot.co.uk/1m-thin-wire-hdmi-cable-high-speed-with-ethernet-p-3012.html

The main point of the Redmere technology (see link below) is that the internal chipset 'equalizes' the signal loss effects caused by longer cable lengths, so within reason, cable length, with HDMI, is of no issue. Simply choose what you need, so that the cable reaches what it has to reach!

https://hometheaterhifi.com/q-a/what-is-redmere-technology/

*However*, having examined the Monoprice item and compared its appearance with the one from Cable Depot, although both feature Redmere technology, externally they're quite different (in terms of the plugs used and the cable itself), so until I carry out a direct comparison between both in actual use, which I'll be doing soon, I won't know which (if any) is better.

Therefore, you may wish to hang fire on buying anything until I test that out :)

Marco.

Marco
08-02-2018, 11:34
i got the smallest active one. its longer than i need but it is excellent. wanted to try the active and think its worth it even for hd as thats all i have at moment. its the only active ive tried(monoprice) but marco has did an A-B and thinks its better than the other one he has.

Yes, but in that instance it was being compared with a basic 'no name' HDMI lead, which I was given by the Sky engineer who called to set up my Sky Q system, and in that application (going from my Sky box to my Sony home-cinema amp), it was pretty much night and day, to the extent that it rendered the latter as broken.

How the Monoprice compares with the 'proper' HDMI cables I was using from the amp to the TV, and from my Blu-ray player to the amp, has yet to be discovered, and which will form the basis of my forthcoming review :)

Marco.

WAD62
08-02-2018, 11:34
Hi Will,

Not so if you order it from Cable Depot, where what seems like a similar cable, is available from 1m upwards: https://www.cabledepot.co.uk/1m-thin-wire-hdmi-cable-high-speed-with-ethernet-p-3012.html

The main point of the Redmere technology (see link below) is that the internal chipset 'equalizes' the signal loss effects caused by using longer lengths of cables, so within reason, cable length is of no issue.

*However*, having examined the Monoprice item and compared it with the one from Cable Depot, although both feature Redmere technology, externally they're quite different (in terms of the plugs used and the cable itself), so until I carry out a direct comparison between both, which I'll be doing soon, I won't know which (if any) is better.

Therefore, you may wish to hang fire on buying any until I test that out :)

Marco.

Cheers Marco...I shall watch with interest...:eyebrows:
Currently I'm just using the supplied HDMIs with my sky Q box, and UB900 player

Marco
08-02-2018, 11:40
Oh, on that you can defo do *MUCH* better - that I promise you! :)

Marco.

Gazjam
08-02-2018, 13:11
Only one I can recommend is the Monoprice one, as that's all I've tried.
Good that marco's found another good 'un, and shows that all (Redmere) HDMI cables aren't the same.

LIke everything in this hobby, its never that simple!

Hi Will,

The main point of the Redmere technology (see link below) is that the internal chipset 'equalizes' the signal loss effects caused by longer cable lengths, so within reason, cable length, with HDMI, is of no issue. Simply choose what you need, so that the cable reaches what it has to reach!

*However*, having examined the Monoprice item and compared its appearance with the one from Cable Depot, although both feature Redmere technology, externally they're quite different (in terms of the plugs used and the cable itself), so until I carry out a direct comparison between both in actual use, which I'll be doing soon, I won't know which (if any) is better.

Therefore, you may wish to hang fire on buying anything until I test that out :)

Marco.

Gazjam
08-02-2018, 13:15
Oh,
and from personal experience, my AV system, my eyes n ears, after A-B'ing the Monoprice gave a better picture than THIS:
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/wireworld-platinum-starlight-7-hdmi-to-hdmi-cable

Check the price!
Something to consider..

WAD62
08-02-2018, 14:09
Oh, on that you can defo do *MUCH* better - that I promise you! :)

Marco.

OK, I'll hang fire on 2 of these then...:)

https://www.cabledepot.co.uk/2m-thin-wire-hdmi-cable-high-speed-with-ethernet-p-3013.html

struth
08-02-2018, 14:26
amazon us doing a 6 ft monoprice for $13

https://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html/ref=lh_cart

Marco
08-02-2018, 16:14
Linky not go to righty placey, matey.... ;)

Takes you to a page that simply says "Your Shopping Cart is empty".

Marco.

Marco
08-02-2018, 16:15
Oh,
and from personal experience, my AV system, my eyes n ears, after A-B'ing the Monoprice gave a better picture than THIS:
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/wireworld-platinum-starlight-7-hdmi-to-hdmi-cable

Check the price!
Something to consider..

Lol - so had you bought the Wireworld cable before you got the Monoprice [ooch, expensive mistake], or how else did you carry out the comparison? :)

Marco.

struth
08-02-2018, 16:21
Linky not go to righty placey, matey.... ;)

Takes you to a page that simply says "Your Shopping Cart is empty".

Marco.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RONTRK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A4PPL3N7I3N7V&psc=1

WAD62
08-02-2018, 16:35
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RONTRK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A4PPL3N7I3N7V&psc=1
A quick look at the reviews reveals a few 4K HDR issues, (perhaps user error?), which is a little worrying...

struth
08-02-2018, 16:38
probably wrong socket or not enabled via tv etc. its same cable

WAD62
08-02-2018, 16:41
probably wrong socket or not enabled via tv etc. its same cable

There're some compelling complaints...I.E. not supporting full 4:4:4

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-High-Speed-18Gbps-Supports-Ethernet/product-reviews/B014RONTRK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=critical&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar

Marco
08-02-2018, 17:04
OK, I'll hang fire on 2 of these then...

https://www.cabledepot.co.uk/2m-thin-wire-hdmi-cable-high-speed-with-ethernet-p-3013.html

Yeah, maybe wait and see whether the Monoprice one is any better. Interestingly, when I ordered another exact same Monoprice cable from Amazon EU (using the same link as before) I got it rather cheaper this time:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/CjKW9e.png

Previous order:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/OUrG87.png

:scratch::hmm:

Hey, not to worry! :)

Anyway, both will be compared with the Peerless Alpha ones I was using up until now, which The Sony Centre in Worcester (where I bought all my AV stuff from) chucked in for me, for free: https://www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk/alhd015-high-speed-hdmi-with-ethernet-1-5metres.html

They're good cables and have served me well so far, so we'll see what happens! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
08-02-2018, 17:41
A quick look at the reviews reveals a few 4K HDR issues, (perhaps user error?), which is a little worrying...

Indeed, as Grant says, it'll be some idiot not using it properly. I can categorically confirm that there are no 4K HDR issues with it in my set up.

Marco.

Gazjam
08-02-2018, 18:52
Lol - so had you bought the Wireworld cable before you got the Monoprice [ooch, expensive mistake], or how else did you carry out the comparison? :)

Marco.

Bought the Wireworld cable on Sale or Return Marco.
Spent similar on my interconnects so wanting to "do it once and do it right"...willing to spend the Wonga if it was SO much better.

It wasn't. :)

Marco
08-02-2018, 19:13
Yup, I can totally relate to the "do it once and do it right" philosophy, so I get that. Good job though, you found the Monoprice! :eek::eyebrows:

Marco.

Smoothgroove
12-07-2018, 06:48
Just bought this player for a little over $320 AUD - around 180 UK pound equivalent. What a fantastic player. SACD sounds great too. Quite a step up from my Sony BDP-S380 which could also play SACD. But the sound on this new machine is at a whole new level. Pictures are great and upscaling seems to improve Bluray discs too. Haven't tried apps as my adsl2 internet is too slowwww. Thanks for the heads up on this machine, as I was debating whether to go 4k or not, when I read the reviews here of this machine. Was looking at the X700 but for the extra $40, I thought this machine looked better built etc. The lack of Dolby Vision doesn't really worry me. Looking forward to a drop in price of 4K discs, but in the meantime really enjoying this player.

Marco
06-08-2018, 19:09
Nice one, Greg. Sorry I missed this post! The Sony's a cracking machine, both for films and music. As you say though, 4K Blu-rays are spectacular, so enjoy! :cool:

Marco.