PDA

View Full Version : 4-way active JBL horn sytem with Najda

Spalmgre
23-01-2018, 10:45
Hi was seeking info about Najda DSP processor and found this Forum. I have already decided to order the Boxed version.
Many years ago I built several speakers and HiFi systems. I already then built active crossover boards. But it was a lot of hazel if I wanted to try an other dividing frequency. And amplifiers where expensive or complicated to build from components. So finally I bought Kef 105 speakers and lived with them for many years.

Now with DSP technology I can finally do the tuning that I think is very important and till now has only been possible for professional product developers. Now a DIY developer can do a lot with REW a microphone and a DSP processor. You don't always need to reach for the absolute top in gear as your tuning skill will compensate for a lot of the final sound. And you also have a important edge over the professional developer as you are tuning your system in the room where you will listen to your music.

I think that it helps a lot if you set a framework and goals for what you want to gain when you deicide to develop a system. My goal is to reach for a sound that would reflect how it sounded in a recording studios in 1970 - 1980. Therefore I have chosen JBL compressor horns, 10" and 15" transducers. My goal is to tune these to sound at their best.

My sytem is in beta stage so the horns are up and running but I have not yet built the low mid- and base cabin. Now I use my Kef 105 speakers base as the bottom. But I have already bought the lomid 10" and 15" 2235 transducers.

cooky
23-01-2018, 22:05
Tervetuloa!

System info for the 4 way 4355-including crossover voltage drives;

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10614-4355

Frank

Macca
24-01-2018, 08:04
Great project, I want to do something like this myself so will be following with interest.

walpurgis
24-01-2018, 08:34
Hi Stefan. Welcome to AOS from me too.

I'm sure your speaker project will be of interest here.

Tell us what music you listen to and what other equipment features in your Hi-Fi system.

Feel free to join in and chat with everybody.

Enjoy the forum,
Goeff.

Spalmgre
24-01-2018, 11:21
I listen to almost anything but I like good sounding recording. This means that i like the master tape sound with very lite processing. I have a Seffield lab album The king James version - Harry James. This is a direct cut record with no tape in between the band and the records master cutting.
When I was younger (1983) I had a Revox A700 and did live recording with two microphones. Now I have bought and restored/tuned a Revox B77 Mk II hi speed and I'm planing to buy "The tape projects" tapes.

But I also use jRiver and have a large collection of music. We have here in Finland CD and records in the public library that you can borrow. So you can borrow up to 100 CDs in one time and rip (flac) them.
I stream from jRiver (Win10) via wlan to my AppleTV and from there to MiniDSP to 3116 D-class power amp boards. This is not a optimal solution but as no setup is final ( has ordered Najda) this works well att the moment.

Finally I like to recommend to anybody a record with a very good sound and nice music. "Blood, Sweat and tears" by Blood, Sweat and tears. This record will truly test your setup.