PDA

View Full Version : Aragon 4004 dual mono power amplifier.

VanDerGraaf
22-01-2018, 14:33
Selling as I am trying to thin down the stuff in my living room!

For those who don't know:

The 4004 is a true dual mono power amp designed by Dan D'Agostino of Krell fame. This will drive pretty much anything- 200w/ch at 8 ohms doubling to 400w/ch at 4 ohms and is genuinely capable of driving a 1 ohm load for all you unrepentant Electrostatic users out there:). Quite a lot of pure Class A watts output before switching into AB. High damping factor resulting in iron grip.

Overbult to a ridiculous specification, it is true dual mono inside with two massive transformers.
Had it looked over a little over a year ago by an electrical engineer I know who did soak test and checked dc offset. He gave it the all clear, whilst also remarking on the massively overbuilt qualities I mentioned earlier on.

The casing has a few marks and scratches but generally looking quite presentable. The brushed steel faceplate is bloody hard to photograph with it looking a bit dull, better in the metal. This picture highlights the worst marks, in fact the ones on the edge look much less obvious in real life!
https://xq3a4a.ch.files.1drv.com/y4mnHrahflERf7iqGM2BCNSXCgj8Q7vPvpBo4QdCfU-hElwvXkFSCp9R3yhXInkbmGAknqvmbd2P34Cn-lyinAfpdIqpSGLeYTaVj3RJxEAs4tcBF8FWqmHOlY4sML9N_a6 IWYa6iYgynHlVYS8fKCbku-civo1_bQ9noFDTn1s36j_JFVGeRAwcRp-in83RyWEQU0D8f6xpiYkdtBILZqXWw?width=1024&height=577&cropmode=none

Originally I sold this on Ebay months ago to someone who revealed himself to be one of those "non-paying buyer" idiots. Has been in intermittent usage since!

Offering here at SOLD to AOS members which is less than it owes me. Pickup preferred as the monster weighs about 25kg or more. Can be posted if need be.
I also have schematics and how-tos available for the buyer.

There's a lot out there online about these if you need to know more.

Some blurb from Aragon themselves:

"To create one of the world's most acclaimed amplifiers requires more than brute power, it requires refined sound. To achieve that goal requires a no compromise approach to parts selection and circuit design. In the 4004 a quad array transistor package is utilized in the pre-driver stage, yielding matched transistors and equal temperature coefficients. The output transistors are matched to over 30 categories, more stringent than any other audio manufacturer. The 4004 contains dual torodial power transformers, which are annealed in nitrogen. The steel of the transformer core is selected by grain structure. Gold plated connectors from Tiffany are used for the inputs. The output connectors are by Monster Cable. Circuit heat dissipation is by convection via the distinctive "V" notch in the top of the chassis. This unique design allows for proper cooling even when a shelf or component is placed on top of an Aragon amplifier.

A member of the first generation of Aragon branded amplifiers. The 4004 amplifier delivers 200 watts per channel at an 8 ohm load, and doubled to 400 watts per channel into a 4 ohm load. This capability is highlighted in the amplifier's designation as "4004" or "400 watts into 4 ohms".

jandl100
22-01-2018, 14:39
Cor :stalks: that looks like a bargain and a half!

Sadly I only recently bought some superb monoblocks and I really can't justify buying this.
Someone will get a great bargain!
GLWS.

lordmortlock
22-01-2018, 15:09
I’ll take this if you’ll ship it Rohan, sounds like it could be fun!

VanDerGraaf
22-01-2018, 15:36
Ok, well let me look into shipping costs and I'll get back to you, you have first refusal��

lordmortlock
22-01-2018, 15:47
No problem. I know what a pain it can be packing and sending heavy pieces, so totally understand if you want to give priority to a local buyer if one emerges in the next couple of weeks

hornucopia
22-01-2018, 16:30
Small pallet needed?Plus an off switch at Jake's house? (-:

VanDerGraaf
22-01-2018, 17:13
:) Shipping is working out a lot cheaper than I might have thought....

lordmortlock
22-01-2018, 19:38
Excellent. Complete overkill on the XL horns but I’m on a power/transparency drive at the mo, so excited to hear this. The worst that can happen is it launches the drivers across the room into my head right??

Jimbo
22-01-2018, 19:46
Macca you should consider this?

VanDerGraaf
23-01-2018, 16:09
Sold to Lord Mortlock! :)

Scooby
23-01-2018, 16:17
If Jake ever ties of it, I'd rip his arm off for it ;)

Macca
23-01-2018, 18:14
Macca you should consider this?

I've got a Krell already, same basic idea and same designer. Don't actually need a powerful amp with the JM Lab speakers, despite appearances they are very easy to drive. Could probably drive them with my 4 watt EL84 SECA although I've not tried. Although must confess was still tempted as the price was very keen. Happily it has found a new owner now.

lordmortlock
31-01-2018, 22:16
First proper listen to this tonight and it’s quite something. I’d expected massive power and control but hadn’t reckoned on the sweetness and light touch it produces when called for.

It’s very very good.

VanDerGraaf
01-02-2018, 08:19
The thing is Jake, it's quite possible that you are listening in pure sweet Class A quite a bit of the time, especially because I'd imagine your speakers to be high sensitivity. Before I sent it to you, I listened to it again after what had been a while unused, and I thought: "Christ, I don't remember it being this good!" :lol:

I'm happy that you're happy!

robpark9
01-02-2018, 15:53
Hi what pre did you use with it as I have one mk2 always found it hard to drive but lovely amp very industrial

VanDerGraaf
01-02-2018, 17:10
Rob, I used my Leema Elements DAC/pre and yes, for a given output level (0-127) it would always need a few clicks more than other power amps for an equivalent level.

lordmortlock
01-02-2018, 19:19
I’m using an eastern electric pre with masses of gain, so can’t say I’ve noticed that here. Switched over to my pass clone buffer pre and it might be a bit TOO clean and transparent. Back in with the valve minimax ...

robpark9
01-02-2018, 23:17
Thanks guys I’ve got xiang sheng valve pre that’s not shy on output I’m just fearful of dc trickle output with valve pres that may cause damage with ss amps as advised by Krell on the recent 250monos for sale anyone got any advice thanks

walpurgis
01-02-2018, 23:28
Have you ever tried a TVC or AVC pre-amp. No DC potential from those and they can sound superb.

lordmortlock
05-08-2018, 12:48
Time to move this bad boy on. I love it but I’ve gone all integrated, so this and everything else is going.

As per Rohan’s Listing but the fuse holder had become brittle and had a crack in it, so I had a local electrical engineer replace it. The new one is larger than the original and I haven’t got round to drilling a bigger hole, so the fuse holder is just sat inside the unit at the mo.

To reflect this and the fact that this sale is collection only from GL5, as I’ve used the double box for a different sale, this is offered at a bargain £320 firm

VanDerGraaf
05-08-2018, 13:06
God, I almost want to buy it back! Serious amp with serious power....

Bigman80
05-08-2018, 13:09
How much is Class A before switching to A/B

VanDerGraaf
05-08-2018, 13:17
I found it hard to get figures but I recall somewhere reading that it was the first 16 watts....so a lot really!

Bigman80
05-08-2018, 13:26
I found it hard to get figures but I recall somewhere reading that it was the first 16 watts....so a lot really!Ah ok, thanks for the info. It looks a beast!

lordmortlock
10-08-2018, 09:02
Sale on hold for a bit. A public apology to Alex, as he was keen to buy. It will be sold, so you’ll have first dibs Alex!

lordmortlock
04-06-2019, 21:11
Ok, I’m going to sell this now :D

Alex has first refusal, I’ve dropped him a couple of PMs and will give him a couple of days to respond.

As per Rohan’s Listing but the fuse holder had become brittle and had a crack in it, so I had a local electrical engineer replace it. The new one is larger than the original and I haven’t got round to drilling a bigger hole, so the fuse holder is just sat inside the unit at the mo.

To reflect this and the fact that this sale is collection only from GL5, as I’ve used the double box for a different sale, this is offered at a bargain £320 firm.

walpurgis
04-06-2019, 21:26
You really need to start a new thread of your own for this Jake.

lordmortlock
04-06-2019, 21:30
Ok Geoff, refreshed this and the carver thread as I figured there was good info in both but I’ll post new threads on both tomorrow evening when I’m back in from work, as I’m off to bed now a have a super early start.

Ok to include a link to the two previous sales links within the ads? Some useful content in there for prospective buyers.

walpurgis
04-06-2019, 21:34
Yes, please sort as soon as possible Jake. Thanks.

And also yes, a link to previous listings or other useful info perfectly acceptable.

lordmortlock
04-06-2019, 21:37
Ah just remembered I’m picking up a techie SL7 from near brum after work tomorrow, so I’ll be late home.

Feel free to delete my last posts on this and the SUT thread if that’s easier Geoff.

lordmortlock
05-06-2019, 15:46
Lots of PMs on this today, Gary/Cargar was the first to contact me so it’s his should Alex not want to go ahead.

Thanks all!

STD305M
24-06-2019, 18:26
Hi Jake
Thanks for the sale

I'm now the very proud owner of this quite rare sleeper.
Finally hooked it up this afternoon and gave it a little time to warm through.

Stonking is all i can say!!

I collected it on the way to Oliver's (bigman80)
We all got to have a listen,Alan Firebottle, Oliver and myself.
I'm sure Oliver will confirm how much like the Krell it sounds ( not surprising, designed by the same chap)

Not quite got the same heft but it impressive.

I'm sure it will be here for some time.

Thanks for the sale Jake....

Steve

Bigman80
24-06-2019, 19:48
I confirm.

Lol

Firebottle
24-06-2019, 19:51
No it's 'I concur' , as in the film Catch Me If You Can.

STD305M
24-06-2019, 20:00
:lol::lol:

Bigman80
24-06-2019, 20:23
No it's 'I concur' , as in the film Catch Me If You Can.I wrote concur!? Ducking auto erect.

graham67
24-06-2019, 20:56
Nice one Steve, look forward to hearing it one time. I bet it would drive the JBLs very nicely however it was waaayyyy to heavy for me!

STD305M
25-06-2019, 05:41
Nice one Steve, look forward to hearing it one time. I bet it would drive the JBLs very nicely however it was waaayyyy to heavy for me!

Hi Graham
Thanks for tipping me of.
You'll love this thing, not quite got the heft Oliver's krell has but is a cracking amp.
Drives my spendors to insane levels and sounds sublime.

Your welcome to pop over any time to have a listen

Steve..

alcarmichael
25-06-2019, 16:22
Well that went terribly for me! I guess it just wasn’t meant to be this time around. Shotgun please Steve when the time comes for a change.

STD305M
25-06-2019, 18:24
Well that went terribly for me! I guess it just wasn’t meant to be this time around. Shotgun please Steve when the time comes for a change.

Hi Alex
I guess shotgun suggests you were after the Aragon??

Sorry mate, i bought this a few weeks ago but couldn't collect as I'm caring for the father in law who had a stroke.
I made time on sunday to collect then run up to Oliver's.

I'll keep your details untill i get me a krell and you can have first refusal.

I must say this really sounds sublime, not quite got the heft of the Krell but it's considerably cheaper.

Steve

graham67
25-06-2019, 22:40
Your welcome to pop over any time to have a listen

Steve..

Thanks Steve, i look forward to hearing it ��