PDA

View Full Version : Top CD player wanted

Pages : [1] 2

farflungstar
20-01-2018, 10:59
Looking for something special - new or vintage, in top condition to finally dip my toes back into digital. Anything looking for a new home?

Lawrence001
20-01-2018, 11:07
There's a nice 2 box player on pfm going for a very good price, I forget the name.

Just checked it's a Resolution Audio Opus 21.

struth
20-01-2018, 11:09
oppo's are hard to beat for the money

bumpy
20-01-2018, 11:10
Looking for something special - new or vintage, in top condition to finally dip my toes back into digital. Anything looking for a new home?

Hi Adrian

I think you should also consider getting separate transport and DAC, The transport could be a player with digital out. In this way you have much greater scope to get things exactly as you wish.

farflungstar
20-01-2018, 12:13
The problem is I know nothing about current technology, not having owned a player for around 20 years! Happy for a 2 box solution.

Lawrence001
20-01-2018, 12:46
Check that one on pfm, seems like a great price, if I had the money I would get it (no connection).

lordmortlock
20-01-2018, 12:49
Yep, ridiculous bargain at that price. I had one for years and only sold when I downsized. It has a digital in so can be used as a dac too.

farflungstar
20-01-2018, 13:20
Won't ship outside of UK.

Lawrence001
20-01-2018, 13:31
Do you know where he is located? If one of us could collect and post it on it would save the £50 domestic cost.

Monty
20-01-2018, 13:34
Try a Bel Canto transport and DAC CD player, very nice sounding and great build quality.

Sherwood
20-01-2018, 13:46
You can get back into digital without a CDP. I got rid of my player and went for a streaming solution. Just a question of ripping your cds to flac. I think that £ for £ you will get better sound quality this way. This approach also means you can get the best out of any streaming service such as Spotify, Deezer or Tidal. My bedroom system includes a Raspberry Pi3 with Allo DigiOne. For less than £150 its hard to beat. For £1000 you would get an awesome streaming solution.

Geoff

Edward
20-01-2018, 14:10
You can get back into digital without a CDP. I got rid of my player and went for a streaming solution. Just a question of ripping your cds to flac. I think that £ for £ you will get better sound quality this way. This approach also means you can get the best out of any streaming service such as Spotify, Deezer or Tidal. My bedroom system includes a Raspberry Pi3 with Allo DigiOne. For less than £150 its hard to beat. For £1000 you would get an awesome streaming solution.

Geoff

+1

Sherwood
20-01-2018, 14:26
An inexpensive way to check out audio streaming is with one of these:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/av-accessories/chromecast-audio-1305396/review

For £30 you can get an idea of the potential quality of digital streaming and whether it is for you. A useful feature of the Google device is that it has an analogue output as well as optical digital so you can connect it to your preamp without the need for a DAC. All you need is a 3.mm to RCA cable. The app is very simple to use, just make sure you set quality to highest when using the analogue output. It is not up to the quality of the digital output but for £30 is pretty impressive.

I think you will be surprised and it may incline you to look at higher quality streaming solutions.

Geoff

farflungstar
20-01-2018, 14:53
Do you know where he is located? If one of us could collect and post it on it would save the £50 domestic cost.Having spoken to him again he would ship it using the video Global Shipping service - which I loathe. I'd prefer UPS.

How would this compare with say.a top Sony. X77ES or the Luxman D-38 (drool)?

It's a good price but reviews are mixed.

ianlenco
20-01-2018, 15:00
I'm with Geoff and Edward. Got rid of a decent Meridian CDP years ago, replacing it with a Vortexbox and Meridian Director DAC. No digital nasties, rather analogue in sound. Controlled from laptop or iPad you can make up and save playlists, load up several hours of music, go random, get internet radio etc, etc. Lots more flexibility and fun than a straight CDP coupled with excellent sound quality.

loosend
20-01-2018, 15:39
Ive got a Bluesound Vault 2 Streamer Id well and then u could simply add a dac of ur flavour and choice.
The Vault 2 allows u to pop in discs, it finds all the information for them, save them to the inbuilt hard drive and spits them back out. It can play directly from disc also but the copy sounds better.
It covers all streaming services and internet radio and also has Bluetooth
The app is by far the most responsive and nicest to use apps I’ve ever come across, even better than Aurelic Lightning DS app.

A two box so,union like this and a dac allows for huge amounts of flexibility.

farflungstar
20-01-2018, 16:19
Thanks guys but call me old fashioned is really like a player and tangible media.

msg1979
20-01-2018, 17:20
I got a Gryphon Mikado
Top notch.

Its all about redbooks on that player

2600GBP

paulf-2007
20-01-2018, 17:23
Won't ship outside of UK.well, you would live in the arse end of nowhere Adrian :) while we live with constant rain you are basking in sunshine, seems fair enough eh?

Sherwood
20-01-2018, 17:33
Thanks guys but call me old fashioned is really like a player and tangible media.

It's your choice of course, but although I have a collection of several thousand cds I never play them any more because the rips sound better. Before deciding to go to streaming I did audition a few high(ish) end cd players, but was not that impressed. In truth, I was a reluctant and late adopter of cds because there was always something about them I found harsh. Since going to streaming I have fond that this problem is much reduced. I am told by more knowledgeable parties that a lot is down to "jitter" and real time error correction. All I know is that the same tracks sound more analogue now and I am hearing more detail and nuances than before.

Geoff

alcarmichael
20-01-2018, 17:33
I’ve never heard one but these are meant to be up there with the best Transports ever made:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 222798696660

Edward
20-01-2018, 17:36

Yes having tangible media certainly has a certain added sense of being involved/with/control of the music. Whatever cdp you get (two box, top loader, single unit or whatever) I highly recommend that you ensure it has the ability of also taking an external digital source. This way you can, at a very low cost, try out streaming local digital files or files from the internet. Try not to lock yourself out from this possibility.

Judging from your other stuff I'm sure you will be getting a top quality CDP which will have a top quality DAC on board. Good to be able to access that DAC in more than one way.

just my 2p :)

farflungstar
20-01-2018, 18:50
The guy will ship but having read dozens and dozens of opinions it seems although it's a good machine it really benefits from a GNS mod which can only be done in the states. The mod is serious money which is fine but customs and Spain are a nightmare. Hmmm

Primalsea
20-01-2018, 19:03
I hold a torch for the original Shangling CDP with the valve output stage. Don’t see many of them about these days though and the ones that come up go for almost as much as when they were new.

Marco
20-01-2018, 19:17
The guy will ship but having read dozens and dozens of opinions it seems although it's a good machine it really benefits from a GNS mod which can only be done in the states. The mod is serious money which is fine but customs and Spain are a nightmare. Hmmm

Hi Adrian,

If it helps, I've heard these CDPs in the past and they're FAB! With valves, and your Tannoys, it will be a match made in heaven, as the Opus has a very open, lucid, detailed but grain-free sound - one could almost call it 'vinyl-like'. It is firmly from the 'musical sounding' school of digital replay, free from 'glare', yet brim-full of insight, and from an era when CDPs were 'done right'...

At the price being asked, and in that condition, the unit on pfm is a veritable bargain... My advice? Snap it up now before someone else beats you to it!!! :trust:

Marco.

da2222
20-01-2018, 19:19
I'm considering going the other way back to vinyl and may even part with my Lector CDP 7 mk III which is about as good as CDPs get...

Lawrence001
20-01-2018, 19:35
Exactly what I thought

Hi Adrian,

If it helps, I've heard these CDPs in the past and they're FAB! With valves, and your Tannoys, it will be a match made in heaven, as the Opus has a very open, lucid, detailed but grain-free sound - one could almost call it 'vinyl-like'. It is firmly from the 'musical sounding' school of digital replay, free from 'glare', yet brim-full of insight, and from an era when CDPs were 'done right'...

At the price being asked, and in that condition, the unit on pfm is a veritable bargain... My advice? Snap it up now before someone else beats you to it!!! :trust:

Marco.

loosend
20-01-2018, 19:56
The Lector is an incredible unit!

farflungstar
20-01-2018, 20:12
Told the guy I'll sleep on it. Seems like a decent bloke.

eisenach
20-01-2018, 20:14
I’ve never heard one but these are meant to be up there with the best Transports ever made:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 222798696660

I had a Tag DVD32R for several years and it was ok. Dreadfully temperamental even after the fixes and the sound wasn't quite what it was cracked up to be. I tried it with Tag DAC20; AV32R and the Young DAC. When it packed up (again) I replaced it with a Primare BD32 which is streets better.

Marco
20-01-2018, 21:36
Told the guy I'll sleep on it.

Confucious say: "Man who dithers or shuns assembled wisdom, risks losing out on the prize..."

;)

Marco.

Bourney
20-01-2018, 21:48
Buy it quickly I'd say :eek:

RobbieGong
20-01-2018, 22:12
Confucious say: "Man who dithers or shuns assembled wisdom, risks losing out on the prize..."

;)

Marco.

lol- Or as my mum would say ' There's the quick and the dissapointed !' ;)

Marco
20-01-2018, 22:15
Or in Scotland they say: "If yer no fast, yer last!" :eyebrows:

Marco.

RobbieGong
20-01-2018, 22:27
Or in Scotland they say: "If yer no fast, yer last!" :eyebrows:

Marco.

:D

RobbieGong
20-01-2018, 22:29
Ya sleep ya weep :lol:

Lawrence001
21-01-2018, 00:26
If Adie wants to take his time we should leave him alone. I've felt the pressure of a big purchase before and it's not nice feeling rushed. The potential risk of sending overseas must make it even more important to be sure before stumping up hard earned cash.

RobbieGong
21-01-2018, 09:25
If Adie wants to take his time we should leave him alone. I've felt the pressure of a big purchase before and it's not nice feeling rushed. The potential risk of sending overseas must make it even more important to be sure before stumping up hard earned cash.

Indeed, and thats why neither fun or jestin' will make him purchase unless he really wants to :)

Marco
21-01-2018, 10:37
It's just a wee bit of banter :)

Marco.

karma67
21-01-2018, 10:51
you snooze you loose is by far the best one :D

farflungstar
21-01-2018, 10:59
Still in comms with the seller. - if it was silver and in a wooden sleeve it would be mine already. Just waiting for an answer about something then will pull trigger. Have to say if I get it it will be the ugliest bit of kit I own!

If anyone has something special they'd like to pass on now is the time to say...

mac72
21-01-2018, 11:33
Audio Research make outstanding players (from version 7 up ) it would match perfectly Reference75 you've bought or try to find Rega Isis - but you're well above 2k mark .
Above 1k I would look at Linn Akurate or Unidisk upgraded to the latest firmware but you'd need to buy spate laser pick-ups as they're obsolete ,

ovlov854
21-01-2018, 11:33
Just to chuck a spanner in the works........but its a few dollars more:eek:

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Resolution_Audio_Opus_21_C D_Player_with_XS,_Au24_Cable_and_GNSC&p=cdplayer&prod_id=53290&offset=

farflungstar
21-01-2018, 11:44
Just to chuck a spanner in the works........but its a few dollars more:eek:

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Resolution_Audio_Opus_21_C D_Player_with_XS,_Au24_Cable_and_GNSC&p=cdplayer&prod_id=53290&offset=Bugger! Have contacted them. There's also a shanling T100 knocking about which people rave about but it's a bit Blackpool illuminations....

Mike Reed
21-01-2018, 11:49
I'm considering going the other way back to vinyl and may even part with my Lector CDP 7 mk III which is about as good as CDPs get...

Almost. Loved mine, but my four-box version is just a smidgen better. I'm sure there are others (Rega, e.g.) which are up there in valved CDPs. Even their s/s version is highly recommended, and does come up from time to time.

I think the Shanling 100 was a rather early valved jobbie; heard one 15+ years ago. The linked ad. for the Res. Audio CDP shows Elite Audio, which I believe is an off-shoot of Audio Emotion in Scotland, an established company (my 2905 speakers came from there 5 years ago).

Marco
21-01-2018, 11:52
Hi Mike,

Good to see you here, old chap. How are tricks? Hope you're well :)

It's been that long, it's a wonder you remembered your password! :eyebrows:;)

Marco.

Marco
21-01-2018, 11:54
Still in comms with the seller. - if it was silver and in a wooden sleeve it would be mine already.

It's for making music, daftee [a task it performs extremely well], not an ornament! ;)

Hey maybe you could fit some VU meters? :D

Marco.

farflungstar
21-01-2018, 11:57
It's for making music, daftee [a task it performs extremely well], not an ornament! ;)

Hey maybe you could fit some VU meters? :D

Marco.I know - but it's nice if it looks good as well as sounds good lol

Bourney
21-01-2018, 12:04
I've held off that opus as I know you're contemplating it and I'm not smart enough to work out how I'd stream Spotify from my iPad to it as the inputs are different than on my existing DAC. If you don't think you're going for it though, let me know. :)

farflungstar
21-01-2018, 12:09
I've held off that opus as I know you're contemplating it and I'm not smart enough to work out how I'd stream Spotify from my iPad to it as the inputs are different than on my existing DAC. If you don't think you're going for it though, let me know. :)Give me a bit to think - the Elite audio is tricked out but almost double the price and ideally I'd prefer not to spend that much. Just waiting for a response from the seller on eBay re serial number (early one's were a bit touch n go). Gimme half an hour.

hifi_dave
21-01-2018, 12:48
I have an unused, full warranty etc, Wadia Di 122 DAC going for £799, which is half price. DACs don't come much better. Just need a transport or CD player as transport, to go with.

farflungstar
21-01-2018, 13:07
I've held off that opus as I know you're contemplating it and I'm not smart enough to work out how I'd stream Spotify from my iPad to it as the inputs are different than on my existing DAC. If you don't think you're going for it though, let me know. :)Have pm'd you.

Adey

farflungstar
21-01-2018, 18:08
Pulled the trigger. Oh heck - me, digital....

Sherwood
21-01-2018, 18:19
It was a binary choice. Hope you are pleased with the outcome but I would still advocate streaming.

Geoff

Marco
21-01-2018, 18:33
Pulled the trigger. Oh heck - me, digital....

Opus? :)

Marco.

farflungstar
21-01-2018, 18:34

Marco.Yes - eeek

ovlov854
21-01-2018, 21:16

Marco.

The one from Elite?

farflungstar
21-01-2018, 21:20
The one from Elite?Unfortunately no - I'm pretty sure it's sold (on eBay). However, at half the price I think the stock Opus should tell me if it's worth pursuing the upgrades. I'm hoping it's all is cracked up to be....

ovlov854
21-01-2018, 21:38
This was one of Definitive Audio's favorite CDP I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Glad you're sorted 'cause here's one I did not show you
/www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIOMECA-TALISMAN-MIT-NEUER-RÖHRENAUSGANGSSTUFE-U-NEUEM-LAUFWERK-SEHR-GEPFLEGT/222791633911?ssPage
for fairly obvious resons !!:lol::lol::lol:

Marco
21-01-2018, 21:44
Unfortunately no - I'm pretty sure it's sold (on eBay). However, at half the price I think the stock Opus should tell me if it's worth pursuing the upgrades. I'm hoping it's all is cracked up to be....

Nice one, Adey. If it's functioning at its full capacity (as when I've heard one before) then I'm confident you'll love it :)

Marco.

Lawrence001
21-01-2018, 23:13
Pulled the trigger. Oh heck - me, digital....Looks like I'll get the blame if it all goes wrong...

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

farflungstar
22-01-2018, 09:16
Nice one, Adey. If it's functioning at its full capacity (as when I've heard one before) then I'm confident you'll love it :)

Marco.As long as it lives up to its "analogue" sounding reputation with no glare I'll be happy.

Marco
22-01-2018, 10:42
It should do that quite comfortably. One thing you may wish to consider looking at later [and I mean much later after you've lived with the player for a while and got to know it], as with all equipment of that age, is have it re-capped in the most important areas of the circuit, as the originals may be past their best.

I did this to my vintage Sony(s), and it turned them from being superb into mind-blowingly so! Anyway, in the meantime, I hope the Opus arrives safely, and that it hits the spot for you on the first listen :cool:

Marco.

greygoose
22-01-2018, 15:59
I currently have a opus 21 and the first and cheapest upgrade is to bypass the inbuilt pre section using a DIN umbilical cord, i actually managed to get a defenitive cyro one, very pleased with the improvement, you could also get one made up.

farflungstar
22-01-2018, 16:58
Yes the din will be sorted as soon as I have some dosh!

farflungstar
22-01-2018, 21:30
I currently have a opus 21 and the first and cheapest upgrade is to bypass the inbuilt pre section using a DIN umbilical cord, i actually managed to get a defenitive cyro one, very pleased with the improvement, you could also get one made up.Aside from the DIN ( getting it from DNM) do you have any tips? Disc stabilizer? Warm up time? Any tweaks? How would you describe it?

Just ordered my first CDs in twenty years - so much music to choose from...

greygoose
22-01-2018, 23:02
my best upgrade was first the din cable and then I used an ag500 power regenerator which lifted its performance, i had power issues but this sorted them out.
I have a resolotion audio cd 50 which has a ively euphoric sound, the opus 21 is very analogue sound , a nice balanced sound, it is not a base monster but you will have to judge it in your system, I would love to compare it to a great northern sounds unit to compare the difference?

farflungstar
23-01-2018, 09:32
my best upgrade was first the din cable and then I used an ag500 power regenerator which lifted its performance, i had power issues but this sorted them out.
I have a resolotion audio cd 50 which has a ively euphoric sound, the opus 21 is very analogue sound , a nice balanced sound, it is not a base monster but you will have to judge it in your system, I would love to compare it to a great northern sounds unit to compare the difference?From what I've read (and as always when I'm looking to buy something i read a lot) the main difference wth the GNSC is in the bass, more of it basically - but this is system dependent I world have thought. I won't lie and say I wouldn't have preferred the tricked out version because I like the best of something - but again it depends on system and the stock Opus should sound great as is in my system.

Going digital is a big thing for me - I've lavished so much love (and money) on my vinyl rig I feel like I'm cheating on my partner. But there's a world of music out there i just can't get on vinyl and that's the point of this game - music - so cheat I must.

MikeMusic
23-01-2018, 16:56
Rega Isis on Ebay right now

£2800 I think. Less than half retail and very good.
The internal DAC is also available to use for other inputs. Exactly what I am doing right now from a Pi streamer

RichardA
23-01-2018, 17:25
I still have my Opus 21 which I use with a DNM DIN cable with the fancy HFTN thingies. Lovely sound.

Denis Morecroft (DNM) told me that you can tweak the Opus further by adjusting the digital volume control on the Opus down from 100 max setting to exactly 1. At the time he explained the logic - bypassing something or other. It obviously doesn't affect the actual volume if you are using the DIN as it has a fixed output. I am not sure that I understood the rationale but I just took his advice. Similarly I didn't worry about before and after tests (life is too short and in any case I simply believed him as he designed/worked on the electronics for the Opus player, as I recall, and was using one for his own personal use).

Might appear odd but doesn't hurt to try!

Aside from the DIN ( getting it from DNM) do you have any tips? Disc stabilizer? Warm up time? Any tweaks? How would you describe it?

Just ordered my first CDs in twenty years - so much music to choose from...

robpark9
23-01-2018, 18:25
I still have my Opus 21 which I use with a DNM DIN cable with the fancy HFTN thingies. Lovely sound.

Denis Morecroft (DNM) told me that you can tweak the Opus further by adjusting the digital volume control on the Opus down from 100 max setting to exactly 1. At the time he explained the logic - bypassing something or other. It obviously doesn't affect the actual volume if you are using the DIN as it has a fixed output. I am not sure that I understood the rationale but I just took his advice. Similarly I didn't worry about before and after tests (life is too short and in any case I simply believed him as he designed/worked on the electronics for the Opus player, as I recall, and was using one for his own personal use).

I've just put my moon cd5.3rs up on gumtree if helps

greygoose
25-01-2018, 11:20

I did try, there was more of everything, soundstage, depth and even extended bass on some tracks, excellent tweak seriously that I had never read about, thanks for the tip, conventional wisdom has always been to turn up the digital volume to the max and leave the volume control to the PRE, pity they didnt include that into the instructions!

RichardA
25-01-2018, 11:29
Glad it worked.

I did try, there was more of everything, soundstage, depth and even extended bass on some tracks, excellent tweak seriously that I had never read about, thanks for the tip, conventional wisdom has always been to turn up the digital volume to the max and leave the volume control to the PRE, pity they didnt include that into the instructions!

farflungstar
25-01-2018, 17:56
The Opus has arrived. I only have 2 CDs (a Casandra Wilson job and a Stereophonics which were in the house when I moved in - others are on order). I'm a little underwhelmed but assume there are vagaries with CD's just as with vinyl. The Stereophonics sounds congested, the Wilson veiled and lo-fi. It certainly isn't on the same level as my vinyl. I'm not using the fixed output yet as I need to order the cable - but maybe I'm just expecting too much from digital....

struth
25-01-2018, 18:00
Shouldn't sound like that tbh. Mine is very open with big soundstage

Macca
25-01-2018, 18:32
I'd use the fixed output before making a conclusion. Depending on how it is set up that could make a noticeable difference. Digital will never sound like vinyl and if you've been solely vinyl for a long time it will take some adjustment. But it shouldn't sound rubbish in any way. If it does, something is wrong somewhere, don't make the mistake of blaming the format!

Lawrence001
25-01-2018, 19:56
I don't know those artists but I have a lot of CDs that sound like that. I've also never had a Cd player where the variable output sounds as good as the fixed. (My new sabre dac with bit perfect volume may now be there.) I think one review said it was not up to the same standard. Your ears may have got used to the sound of your system now which you have optimised around your source and you can't just chuck a new source in and expect it to sound as good. I would give it a few weeks with some good albums before judging. Lastly, what cables are you using?

farflungstar
25-01-2018, 22:24
I don't know those artists but I have a lot of CDs that sound like that. I've also never had a Cd player where the variable output sounds as good as the fixed. (My new sabre dac with bit perfect volume may now be there.) I think one review said it was not up to the same standard. Your ears may have got used to the sound of your system now which you have optimised around your source and you can't just chuck a new source in and expect it to sound as good. I would give it a few weeks with some good albums before judging. Lastly, what cables are you using?
I know I can't just put it in and expect it to outperform or be as good as my vinyl system - it's an incredible rig, to my ears and the whole system breathes as one. And I'm aware that if I judged it only on a badly pressed, produced album I'd be ignoring all those albums that sound magic. Ditto a new source. There are a few things I can and would do anyway to get the best out of it, which I haven't done yet (fixed out, new power cable) and a selection of albums for comparison. I can't make a conclusion until then - but my thoughts on listening were that my last players (TOTL) back in the 90's were superior. Further listening is required.

I'm using Cardas Golden Neutral reference at the minute.

farflungstar
26-01-2018, 08:45
Having slept on it I realised two things, first I have a few CDs in my box set vinyls for comparisons. Second I feel like the problem might be the Truth linestage so I will try the Opus direct into the
Ref75. A day of experiments.

Lawrence001
26-01-2018, 10:40
I wouldn't use variable out into a pre that's always a recipe for flat soundstage and lack of resolution I've found.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 09:16
Update. Running direct into the ref 75 is a revelation in comparison to using the variable via the Truth. It sounds awesome - but.... Unless I'm going deaf in one ear there's a channel imbalance and no way of correcting it. It's consistent across CDs and very very obvious.

I've spoken to Resolution who say it could be a failing DAC chip (very expensive to sort out). But I need to do some experimenting - the Opus is the first source I've tried direct to amp and maybe the issue is the amp.

The reason I might not have heard this with the vinyl rig going into the truth is that the truth has no fixed balance point - so I might have unwittingly been compensating for the drop in volume on one channel.

It's easy to check if it is the cd - and I'll do that this morning.

It's also easy to check if it's half dead valves in one channel of the ref 75 - if it's not the valves then maybe the amp has a fault - which will really really piss me off and might not be easy to fix here in Spain.

If it's the Opus then I will be asking eBay for a refund.

Bugger

Lawrence001
27-01-2018, 09:32
I really feel for you, I know how frustrating it is to buy a nice piece of kit and then find a problem with it, sometimes it makes me feel like giving up and selling it all off. But I've persevered in the past and have always got it sorted so far (or got an eBay refund). Have you tried swapping the outputs around if it goes to the other channel then it's the Cd or player (or cable, next swap them to rule that out), if it stays where it is it's probably the amp.

Edward
27-01-2018, 10:00
Also try the single ended outputs of the cdp if you are using the balanced outputs - or vice versa.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 10:34
I really feel for you, I know how frustrating it is to buy a nice piece of kit and then find a problem with it, sometimes it makes me feel like giving up and selling it all off. But I've persevered in the past and have always got it sorted so far (or got an eBay refund). Have you tried swapping the outputs around if it goes to the other channel then it's the Cd or player (or cable, next swap them to rule that out), if it stays where it is it's probably the amp.That's my plan for today - swapping things out to find the problem. I think I'd be happier if it's a valve problem as this is easily fixed. Returning the CDP and going through the eBay crap is never much fun.

Lawrence001
27-01-2018, 11:52
That's my plan for today - swapping things out to find the problem. I think I'd be happier if it's a valve problem as this is easily fixed. Returning the CDP and going through the eBay crap is never much fun.Agreed, don't end up paying the return postage eBay do a print label option but I'm not sure what happens if you buy from overseas. Hopefully the seller would agree to pay if it came to that.

Spectral Morn
27-01-2018, 12:33
If its the amp the problem won't move, by swapping left for right and right to left interconnect. If the CD player is the problem it will move. It could be the interconnect so trying another is also worth doing.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 14:34
It's not the CDP. Its not the interconnects. It's not the speakers. It's the amplifier. I'm about to swap over the power valves and see if that is the problem. It's a quartet of matched kT120. If they are the problem can I mix them to see if that helps? Or should I just wait and order new ones? If it's not the power valves I'll try swapping the signal valves. If it's not the valves then I'm in trouble!

Lawrence001
27-01-2018, 14:46
Fingers crossed it's the valves.

mac72
27-01-2018, 15:03
Try swapping small signal valves first , power valves shouldn't make that much difference when aged .

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 15:23
Try swapping small signal valves first , power valves shouldn't make that much difference when aged .Yeah swapped power - same. Now swapped signal - waiting to stabilise. If it's not these then I've tried everything possible.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 15:48
Signal valves swapped - nada. No difference.
CDP outputs swapped - no change
Interconnects swapped - no change
Speakers inputs swapped - change!
So amp...
Power valves swapped - no change
Signal valves swapped - no change

F*ck.....

Lawrence001
27-01-2018, 15:55
Speakers inputs swapped - change!
So amp...

What exactly did you do?

struth
27-01-2018, 16:02
balaced socket wiring different to plugs?

Lawrence001
27-01-2018, 16:04
Also, can you explain why you think you may have compensated for channel imbalance with your photo stage?

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 16:05
The right channel is fine, the left channel is lower, so I connected left speaker to right output and right to left. Hey presto the right speaker was now low and the left fine. So it has to be the amp.

But it's bloody confusing - there isn't any soundstage to the left at all.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 16:05
balaced socket wiring different to plugs?Swapped over the XLR connectors - no difference.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 16:07
Also, can you explain why you think you may have compensated for channel imbalance with your photo stage?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using TapatalkThe truth has no defined central balance point for reference. It applies more voltage to the photocells of one or the other channel. Without a reference point it's impossible to know if there is a component imbalance.

So I might easily have compensated for an imbalance without knowing it.

struth
27-01-2018, 16:12
no way of running without the truth?

George47
27-01-2018, 16:14
Have you tried swapping the speaker cables at the amp end? Or tried another set of speaker cables?

Different amplifier outputs, with the signal and power valves OK, is an unusual problem. Can you look at the speaker connections inside the amplifier (with the amp OFF), anything odd, loose or looking bad.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 16:22
I don't have another pre. Running the Opus direct into the amp is the first time I've bypassed the truth. I can put in another cd player direct to the amp but it doesn't have a volume so it would have to be a quick listening!

With my vinyl running through the truth I have a beautifully balanced, spacious soundstage - with one caveat - almost always more bass on the left channel which I've attributed to the room.

With the Opus direct the bass on the right is phenomenal so that isn't true about the room, bass on the left is also strangely OK, but all vocals are to the right - so perhaps by adjusting the balance on the truth to give me a balanced soundstage it explains the 'extra' bass output on the left and the false room affect theory.

But! I had the same effect wth my Cary amps and audio note speakers - this is why I'm going crazy. And no I'm not deaf in one ear.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 16:24
Have you tried swapping the speaker cables at the amp end? Or tried another set of speaker cables?

Different amplifier outputs, with the signal and power valves OK, is an unusual problem. Can you look at the speaker connections inside the amplifier (with the amp OFF), anything odd, loose or looking bad.Yes I swapped at the amp end - that's when the problem shifted to the other channel and led me to think it's the amp.

Hmmmm l will check that tomorrow - too dark right now.

George47
27-01-2018, 16:28
OK. I assume you have checked the bias of all the power valves.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 16:37
OK. I assume you have checked the bias of all the power valves.Yup - easy on the ref75. All 4 are spot on. Checked again when swapped over and adjusted slightly.

Going to listen to some vinyl and try to get my sanity back.

Tomorrow I will put a fixed output cd direct into the ref75 and listen very very quickly to a quiet piece - it is so obvious it should take a second to know for sure that the Opus is 100%.

It seems very unlikely that both the Cary and the arc have the same imbalance.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 17:24
Is there anything the Opus could have done to the amp? I've just put on some vinyl (via the truth) and it's the same - it was fine before plugging the Opus direct. Could it be kicking out a high voltage on one channel and partially fried something?

hifi_dave
27-01-2018, 17:31
Don't play a fixed output CD player into the ARC as this will produce full output into your speakers with, probably, catastrophic results.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 17:58
Don't play a fixed output CD player into the ARC as this will produce full output into your speakers with, probably, catastrophic results.I'm not going to. I've asked eBay for a refund on the Opus. Listening to my vinyl there is absolutely no way the Opus comes close. Think marantz of the 80's.

I'm also convinced it has done something to the arc - even with my vinyl that channel is now down - luckily the truth can compensate for this to a huge degree (it effectively adds/subtracts gain (power) rather than attenuates for balance).

I've also emailed Sarte audio the importers of arc here in Spain and technical center to sort out getting this beautiful amplifier back to how it should be. They are only afew hours drive.

Fuck knows if I'll get my 900€ back, never mind the €100 I paid for UPS, or the shipping back.

What a bloody ball ache. I really don't think I'll buy second hand again.

Old boy
27-01-2018, 18:10
I'm not going to. I've asked eBay for a refund on the Opus. Listening to my vinyl there is absolutely no way the Opus comes close. Think marantz of the 80's.

I'm also convinced it has done something to the arc - even with my vinyl that channel is now down - luckily the truth can compensate for this to a huge degree (it effectively adds/subtracts gain (power) rather than attenuates for balance).

I've also emailed Sarte audio the importers of arc here in Spain and technical center to sort out getting this beautiful amplifier back to how it should be. They are only afew hours drive.

Fuck knows if I'll get my 900€ back, never mind the €100 I paid for UPS, or the shipping back.

What a bloody ball ache. I really don't think I'll buy second hand again.

Isn't the Ref 75 still under warranty?
If it came from a UK dealer I would think you have at least a 3 month warranty

paulf-2007
27-01-2018, 18:19
I don't know what you were thinking Adrian, paying 900€ for a CD player used and from abroad. Just get a cheap one. You don't have many cd's anyway. I bought a Denon 1930 sacd/DVD player for £30 from my mate who bought a bluray player and it sounds as good as anything I've heard, I don't play cd's much anyway, only when the internet won't play Spotify.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 18:44
There is a lot of music I truly wish to own which is not available on vinyl. If it sounds pants compared to my vinyl rig I wouldn't listen to it. So I spent €900 and would happily spend a lot more if it could provide me with as much sonic pleasure as the 10k or so I've spent on my vinyl set up. If the Opus is truly where digital is at then I would go top of the line vintage - I had a few of them and they were certainly better than the Opus though of course it's obviously not functioning very well!

George47
27-01-2018, 19:49
You are going to need to spend a LOT to get the equivalent sound from a CD to your turntable. It is a great front end. Given that you like valves and Audionote speakers then I would look at an AN CD player if you can borrow one. Some people love them others think they are coloured and should be avoided. They better portray the warmth and space of vinyl. I have an Audionote DAC4.1x and CD4T and even that does not seriously challenge vinyl.

Do you have another source (tuner) or DVD that you could try into the Linestage + Ref 75 (SE?) to hear if you get an even output from your line-stage?

I suspect that a visit to the service agent is needed. I am not sure a CD player could do something to damage the input circuitry (through the line-stage) of the Ref 75 without send a loud noise through the amp. Without doubt the ARC is a superb power amplifier and even if it is a pain to get it fixed it is worth getting it properly sorted.

Good luck.

struth
27-01-2018, 20:02
Just get an oppo. Good price and does everything you need

lordmortlock
27-01-2018, 20:36
Ignore ... misread a prev post

loonytunes
27-01-2018, 20:38
There is a lot of music I truly wish to own which is not available on vinyl. If it sounds pants compared to my vinyl rig I wouldn't listen to it. So I spent €900 and would happily spend a lot more if it could provide me with as much sonic pleasure as the 10k or so I've spent on my vinyl set up. If the Opus is truly where digital is at then I would go top of the line vintage - I had a few of them and they were certainly better than the Opus though of course it's obviously not functioning very well!

Firstly well done for chosing to stick with CD replay over streaming, as convenient as streaming is you could get a far inferior sound if you get that side of things wrong. Yes you could simply use a Chromecast Audio, but it sounds like you value the quality of sound, and at your level plus experience you won't get that with a GCA. Chosing a great CD player avoids a possible complicated digital infrastructure to support a very good sound from a streaming service such as Tidal for example. I would only chose the GCA to 'supplement' a good CD player unless you know how to put together a streaming infrastructure that approaches or even exceeds CD replay. You can avoid BubbleUPnP, DLNA, Squeezelite, Roon and all those bits and pieces that, in the end, can make a fab front end - but just look at all the terminology you need to get your head around.

Anyway - I have a good CD player - vintage - Technics SL-P990 in great condition - £200 if you are interested - cheap enough and very high quality.

Sherwood
27-01-2018, 20:45

As I suggested earlier, go for a streaming solution. Last year I bought another Raspberry Pi3 and an Allo DigiOne board. It performs fantastically with my ripped FLAC files and impressively on high bit-rate internet radio. The technology almost completely eliminates jitter, and I am hearing detail and nuances on old tracks that I never heard before.

Geoff

Mike Reed
27-01-2018, 21:27
I have a CDP which is on a par with my record player; well, as near as damned, according to sundry hifi visitors. Different, certainly, as are most CDs, but with a quality disc, as spacious and naturally revealing a my vinyl front end. It's called a Lector (4 box for my part), but I'm sure there are other valved CDPs out there which would slot in as your second record player, as it were.

farflungstar
27-01-2018, 21:55
I have a CDP which is on a par with my record player; well, as near as damned, according to sundry hifi visitors. Different, certainly, as are most CDs, but with a quality disc, as spacious and naturally revealing a my vinyl front end. It's called a Lector (4 box for my part), but I'm sure there are other valved CDPs out there which would slot in as your second record player, as it were.Lector certainly seem to have a good reputation.

Lawrence001
27-01-2018, 22:34
Just a thought, my mate tried a valve pre and it totally fried his dac beyond repair, could be a fault in the amp that caused it rather than the other way round.

mac72
28-01-2018, 11:00
The reason I might not have heard this with the vinyl rig going into the truth is that the truth has no fixed balance point - so I might have unwittingly been compensating for the drop in volume on one channel.

Claiming money back is bit unfair on the seller as you've clearly admitted that problem could've been there from the beginning

farflungstar
28-01-2018, 11:35
Claiming money back is bit unfair on the seller as you've clearly admitted that problem could've been there from the beginningI agree and it's messing with my head. Before the Opus the balance on the truth was set at 4 minutes past. Since the Opus was put in it is now at 20 past. Hence my question about whether the Opus could have damaged the input. The seller is suggesting that I have somehow shorted the output on one channel of the Opus - I don't see how.

It rained all night here and i spent all night dealing with a flood at home.

It seems I have ac choice.

Send the arc for service.
Keep and send the Opus for service.

Or try to return the Opus and send the arc for a service.

I really don't know what to do. If there is no way the Opus could damage the input on the arc then the drop has to be coincidental. And it's only right I keep the Opus. If there is any possibility the Opus could damage the input then better to try a clean sheet and not risk it happening again.

Advice welcome!

mac72
28-01-2018, 11:48
It's very unlikely cd player would make any damage to an amplifier ,
It's very long thread can you remind me what's the balance like when you plug adjustable output to the amplifier?
Another solution is to take Opus and your amp to ARC service centre , guys there certainly would be able to check outputs of the player and tell you if is faulty or not
if you've paid with PayPal you have 90 days so there is no point to make rushed decisions , someone would need to swallow 100euros postage cost

farflungstar
28-01-2018, 12:07
It's very unlikely cd player would make any damage to an amplifier ,
It's very long thread can you remind me what's the balance like when you plug adjustable output to the amplifier?
Another solution is to take Opus and your amp to ARC service centre , guys there certainly would be able to check outputs of the player and tell you if is faulty or not
if you've paid with PayPal you have 90 days so there is no point to make rushed decisions , someone would need to swallow 100euros postage costIf I had a cd with fixed tones couldn't I measure outputs with a multimeter?

mac72
28-01-2018, 12:36
If I had a cd with fixed tones couldn't I measure outputs with a multimeter?

You can but your multimiter frequency response is probably in the range 60-500Hz maybe bit higher ,
I would check dc offset at the output with 47k load , preferably RC flter (47k-1uF) , you might see few mV which is within noise anomaly of DMM meter

farflungstar
28-01-2018, 12:41
You can but your multimiter frequency response is probably in the range 60-500Hz maybe bit higher ,
I would check dc offset at the output with 47k load , preferably RC flter (47k-1uF) , you might see few mV which is within noise anomaly of DMM meterOk - would dc damage the amp input?

mac72
28-01-2018, 13:01
Ok - would dc damage the amp input?

I doubt as grid of the input stage valve is normally at 0V , if DC is high it could re-bias input stage if just few mV there is nothing to worry about

George47
28-01-2018, 16:43
Just to be clear where we are now.

If you play your vinyl into the linestage-ARC75-speakers you have to move the 'balance' control to just past the mid point (4 past). That seems normal.

If you then play the CD player then the 'balance' control has to be advanced to 20 past? This is not normal and there clearly is an issue with the Opus.

If it was like that from the start then it arrived with a problem and I would return it and ask for a refund. You could share the postage.

Did your line-stage cause a problem to the Opus....hmm not sure about that?? It is possible (shorting out the output amps/buffer?} but why does it not damage your phono amplifier and if it works how did it short?

Did the Opus cause a problem to the line-stage'? Doubt it.

My inclination is to ask for a refund as it is causing issues and it does not work as described. Did you cause the problem: I doubt it as these items can take a lot of abuse without causing a partial failure? Although you need a techie's view....

Lawrence001
28-01-2018, 16:43
I have to make a confession, I found out last night I know the seller of the Opus when I looked at his eBay name, it's not the same as his pfm name, where I first saw the listing. I met him at Scalford last year and later sold him a passive pre. I'm not going to give any more opinions on this for obvious reasons but I will say he comes across as a very straightforward and honest guy and if he said the cdp was working perfectly when it left his hands I strongly believe this would have been the case.

farflungstar
28-01-2018, 17:07
I have to make a confession, I found out last night I know the seller of the Opus when I looked at his eBay name, it's not the same as his pfm name, where I first saw the listing. I met him at Scalford last year and later sold him a passive pre. I'm not going to give any more opinions on this for obvious reasons but I will say he comes across as a very straightforward and honest guy and if he said the cdp was working perfectly when it left his hands I strongly believe this would have been the case.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using TapatalkThanks for being up front. I'm in touch with him over this and have said I'm not questioning his honesty. I have raised a refund with eBay - but this is born from insecurity - something isn't right but I honestly don't understand what. Im going to try and take the Opus to school tomorrow and try it in the system there - it's not ideal, but it might shed a little more light on what's going on.

When i first connected it up it was via the variable into the linestage, the manual says that if used that way you can set the volume at 99 so it's effectively giving full output (2.5v). It sounded terrible at that level, as though it was over driving the linestage - though the maker of the linestage assures me it can comfortably handle it - I disagree.

It might be that both the Opus and the ref 75 have a slight drop on the left channel - or that output on the right of the Opus is higher than it should be. I don't know.

I'm quite certain I'm not hearing the Opus as it should be, for whatever reason - but my instinct is to take it out of the system and start from scratch.

Maybe tomorrow I'll know a little more.

Lawrence001
28-01-2018, 17:17
I hope it all works out ok, it's horrible when this sort of thing happens, the best hope is nobody falls out too badly over it in the long run when the emotions have subsided.

Mike Reed
28-01-2018, 17:27
I'd just like to add my thoughts to others here that it's very unlikely for the CDP to cause a problem into a line input. 2.5 V is only just above theoretical line level. I'm a bit lost as to what processes of elimination you've covered. Surely the variable output into the ARC should say something, even if it's not best sonic practice. (I assume the Ref 75 doesn't have pot's like my E.A.R.). Presumably you've tried all line inputs.

I do think you need to try the CDP into another set-up, if only to check the balance, but I note you're dong that tomorrow (and presumably you're a teacher; E.F.L., by any chance?). I have empathy for your situation, but it seems that you have the hifi nous to ascertain the fault.

Marco
28-01-2018, 17:33
Really sorry to hear of your woes, Adey. It's so disappointing... Essentially, you've got a superb CD player there - *if* you can get it to function optimally in your system, and I do hope that's the result you get in the end.

Marco.

lordmortlock
28-01-2018, 19:10
Still got the hiraga Adey? How about switching that in, removing the ref 75 and eliminating that possible issue?

farflungstar
28-01-2018, 19:39
Just to be clear where we are now.

If you play your vinyl into the linestage-ARC75-speakers you have to move the 'balance' control to just past the mid point (4 past). That seems normal.

If you then play the CD player then the 'balance' control has to be advanced to 20 past? This is not normal and there clearly is an issue with the Opus.

If it was like that from the start then it arrived with a problem and I would return it and ask for a refund. You could share the postage.

Did your line-stage cause a problem to the Opus....hmm not sure about that?? It is possible (shorting out the output amps/buffer?} but why does it not damage your phono amplifier and if it works how did it short?

Did the Opus cause a problem to the line-stage'? Doubt it.

My inclination is to ask for a refund as it is causing issues and it does not work as described. Did you cause the problem: I doubt it as these items can take a lot of abuse without causing a partial failure? Although you need a techie's view....Before I put the Opus in and using my Vida into the linestage my balance was at 4 mins past, more or less (there is no absolute balance reference point on the Truth). Now it's at 20 past with the Vida and something doesn't sound right. So something changed, I don't know what but its the amp I think, I don't know how either - but my instinct tells me not to hook up the Opus again - get the ref 75 in for a service sharpish, and pray it hasn't damaged the Truth into the bargain.

farflungstar
28-01-2018, 19:41
Still got the hiraga Adey? How about switching that in, removing the ref 75 and eliminating that possible issue?Its a risk to try it - if this thing has a problem on the left output and can fuck up a channel I don't like to try. I'll think about it...

lordmortlock
28-01-2018, 20:19
I’ve never heard of a source putting out enough voltage to damage an amp Adey. Techy people ... can we establish definatively if that’s possible or not?

ovlov854
28-01-2018, 20:28
Very sorry to hear of your problems
This may be overly simplistic but I recently bought an Audionote DAC that on certain discs distorted on one channel.
It turns out that AN CDP and DACs have a very high output (3/4v)
Even one of the guys at AN said it was far to high
What I was hearing was pre-amp overload
It was sorted with a -10 and then -14 db attenuator
Do you know what the output of the Opus is?
Good luck with your quest

Btw this epistle is giving me the s***s as I am awaiting the arrival of a CDP from Germany:eek::eek::eek:

farflungstar
28-01-2018, 20:56
Very sorry to hear of your problems
This may be overly simplistic but I recently bought an Audionote DAC that on certain discs distorted on one channel.
It turns out that AN CDP and DACs have a very high output (3/4v)
Even one of the guys at AN said it was far to high
What I was hearing was pre-amp overload
It was sorted with a -10 and then -14 db attenuator
Do you know what the output of the Opus is?
Good luck with your quest

Btw this epistle is giving me the s***s as I am awaiting the arrival of a CDP from Germany:eek::eek::eek:It's 2.5v. or should be.

ovlov854
29-01-2018, 00:10
It's 2.5v. or should be.

Still could be a little high especially if the pre is sensitive.
Try a -10db anyway.

George47
29-01-2018, 00:27
How are connecting the Truth to the ARC 75? I thought the Truth was only phono. Are you using a cable conversion with phono to XLRs or an adaptor?

Floyddroid
29-01-2018, 06:34
There's a nice 2 box player on pfm going for a very good price, I forget the name.

Just checked it's a Resolution Audio Opus 21.

Had one of those and it was bloody good.

farflungstar
29-01-2018, 08:54
How are connecting the Truth to the ARC 75? I thought the Truth was only phono. Are you using a cable conversion with phono to XLRs or an adaptor?Connected with the top Cardas converters, and have swapped them over but no difference. Ditto cables.

The Truth has 3 line inputs.

I got an email from the importers today - their advice - send it back to the seller. They may be able to fix it but apparently Resolution no longer have mother boards so it's unsupported.

The seller is being a bit shirty. I said that I would have a play around with the system and he's using that as a get out clause. I obviously damaged it. I said that I was referring to my system including swapping over valves and that the only thing you can do with the Opus is plug it in.

I haven't mentioned that it may have damaged the ref 75.

Macca
29-01-2018, 09:31
Have you tried it in your system at work yet?

farflungstar
29-01-2018, 10:27
Have you tried it in your system at work yet?Not yet - will be this afternoon..... Hope nothing gets fucked up....

farflungstar
29-01-2018, 17:31
Ok - tested in school set up. Nope, definitely something off, but mostly from mid up, bass seems balanced but everything from vocals sibilants up is always stage right, whatever cd. Ditto violins etc. It's as though there just isn't any stage left. We have a lot of CDs with mono speech intermixed with music (kids stuff). Vocals mid stage right, music stage right. Swapped over outputs and the effect flipped.

puddlesplasher
29-01-2018, 18:00
I have an Exposure MCX CD player. Stonking good CD player and in excellent condition. Made to sit on a shelf as it hasn't got the big silver feet. Comes complete with remote, operation manual on disk and original packaging. One of the best playes I've heard.

George47
29-01-2018, 18:30
Ok - tested in school set up. Nope, definitely something off, but mostly from mid up, bass seems balanced but everything from vocals sibilants up is always stage right, whatever cd. Ditto violins etc. It's as though there just isn't any stage left. We have a lot of CDs with mono speech intermixed with music (kids stuff). Vocals mid stage right, music stage right. Swapped over outputs and the effect flipped.

OK. As I said earlier return the CD player as it is not fit for purpose and e-bay will biased to the buyer. Then start again. I hope the 75 is not damaged.

Mike Reed
29-01-2018, 20:34

To my mind, that's pretty conclusive. Awful situation to be in, but maybe when this business is all sorted, either choose locally or from a dealer (with guarantee). I only know this CDP by reputation, but servicing /repair looks to be a bit fraught at best. As you took a (big, i.m.o.) punt on this, getting a CDP made by a solvent /established company may yield a better outcome.

E.A.R.'s ACUTE (various models) are leaders in British valved CDPs, along with Rega's offering (in s/s form as well). Both companies which will service etc. 'til the cows come home. Lector, of course from your Mediterranean 'neighbour' (Emporiumshed is our Lector agent and does have used units from time to time).

I was late to CD, but started with Meridian 2 box, then bettered it by a more modern Meridian 1 box. Couldn't fault it through high level Naim and valved power, but when I introduced the Lector 2 box, it was a different world (said all my local audiophile mafia). Not sure what I gained from introducing 2 more boxes, bit maybe a little ! Output is too high (3.4V) but I'm having my 912 pre. attenuated a wee bit to cope (at some stage).

I think I know what you were searching for and I think you'll find it. Best wishes with sorting the current hassle.

RichardA
29-01-2018, 21:11
This comment suggests that Resolution Audio might not still be operating. Is that really correct? Their website is still live and a number of their products post the opus series were similarly well regarded so perhaps they are fairly well established albeit not as long as rega and EAR. Please expand on the difficulties with repair and servicing. Mine is still working fine but if they can't be looked after any more that would be good to know. Last I knew, redline distribution was doing the work but perhaps that has changed??

Farflungstar - sorry to hear your unit has failed. It may have been a gamble (as are many second hand purchases) but it's one that that has worked out well for other people. As an alternative (at a lower price) I have been using an original Rega Saturn as a transport with a Tron DAC (my Opus has been a spare). The Rega Saturn is none too shabby as a standalone player (IMO)

dQUOTE=Mike Reed;942234]To my mind, that's pretty conclusive. Awful situation to be in, but maybe when this business is all sorted, either choose locally or from a dealer (with guarantee). I only know this CDP by reputation, but servicing /repair looks to be a bit fraught at best. As you took a (big, i.m.o.) punt on this, getting a CDP made by a solvent /established company may yield a better outcome.

E.A.R.'s ACUTE (various models) are leaders in British valved CDPs, along with Rega's offering (in s/s form as well). Both companies which will service etc. 'til the cows come home. Lector, of course from your Mediterranean 'neighbour' (Emporiumshed is our Lector agent and does have used units from time to time).

I was late to CD, but started with Meridian 2 box, then bettered it by a more modern Meridian 1 box. Couldn't fault it through high level Naim and valved power, but when I introduced the Lector 2 box, it was a different world (said all my local audiophile mafia). Not sure what I gained from introducing 2 more boxes, bit maybe a little ! Output is too high (3.4V) but I'm having my 912 pre. attenuated a wee bit to cope (at some stage).

I think I know what you were searching for and I think you'll find it. Best wishes with sorting the current hassle.[/QUOTE]

farflungstar
29-01-2018, 21:14
I've booked the 75 in for a full service and check over, I do think it has a slight imbalance, which combined with the CDP imbalance made anything to the left totally disappear. The seller is adamant he will not accept a return, but I will keep on supplying info to eBay and let them decide either way. I was surprised at work, I had begun to think I was going crazy until I pressed play and again aside from some bass and lower mid everything was to the right. I've even been putting stuff in my ear to clean it just in case that's the problem - but I don't think so. I never never imagined going down the digital route would cause me so much grief lol.

farflungstar
29-01-2018, 21:17
This comment suggests that Resolution Audio might not still be operating. Is that really correct? Their website is still live and a number of their products post the opus series were similarly well regarded so perhaps they are fairly well established albeit not as long as rega and EAR. Please expand on the difficulties with repair and servicing. Mine is still working fine but if they can't be looked after any more that would be good to know. Last I knew, redline distribution was doing the work but perhaps that has changed??

Farflungstar - sorry to hear your unit has failed. It may have been a gamble (as are many second hand purchases) but it's one that that has worked out well for other people. As an alternative (at a lower price) I have been using an original Rega Saturn as a transport with a Tron DAC (my Opus has been a spare). The Rega Saturn is none too shabby as a standalone player (IMO)

dQUOTE=Mike Reed;942234]To my mind, that's pretty conclusive. Awful situation to be in, but maybe when this business is all sorted, either choose locally or from a dealer (with guarantee). I only know this CDP by reputation, but servicing /repair looks to be a bit fraught at best. As you took a (big, i.m.o.) punt on this, getting a CDP made by a solvent /established company may yield a better outcome.

I think I know what you were searching for and I think you'll find it. Best wishes with sorting the current hassle.

This is the email I got from redline...

Hi Adrian,

I would return to the seller and have him send the unit to us for repair.

If it can be fixed you should then continue with the purchase.

In most cases they can be repaired but Resolution Audio have no motherboards left in stock. if there is an issue in that area then the unit can no longer be supported.

Cheers

Martin

Macca
29-01-2018, 21:22
Get a Sony ES or similar from Pioneer. About a grand for a flagship one. Avoid the boutique stuff, get something that had to sound good and work good or the engineers had to commit Hari Kari.

farflungstar
29-01-2018, 21:24
Get a Sony ES or similar from Pioneer. About a grand for a flagship one. Avoid the boutique stuff, get something that had to sound good and work good or the engineers had to commit Hari Kari.That was the original plan...

Macca
29-01-2018, 21:27
That was the original plan...

No plan survives first contact with the enemy. Or so they say.

farflungstar
29-01-2018, 21:28
No plan survives first contact with the enemy. Or so they say.Yes... But I'm a slow learner...

Thetiminator
30-01-2018, 12:11
A mate of mine selling this:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?56472-For-sale-Wadia-WT2000-Transport-and-Digimaster-2000-DAC-%96-Totally-mint!

You could spend £10k-£15k on a new player and it won't come close to this, silly good! Made a little boy out of my £15k Esoteric a few years ago.

farflungstar
30-01-2018, 12:55
A mate of mine selling this:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?56472-For-sale-Wadia-WT2000-Transport-and-Digimaster-2000-DAC-%96-Totally-mint!

You could spend £10k-£15k on a new player and it won't come close to this, silly good! Made a little boy out of my £15k Esoteric a few years ago.If I wasn't waiting for a refund from eBay I might have thought about it.

worrasf
30-01-2018, 20:54
Get a Sony ES or similar from Pioneer. About a grand for a flagship one. Avoid the boutique stuff, get something that had to sound good and work good or the engineers had to commit Hari Kari.

+1
I bought a highly modified Pioneer PD-S505 Precision from a fellow AoSer and have been blown away by how good this “old” stable platter CDP is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farflungstar
30-01-2018, 21:07
If I wasn't waiting for a refund from eBay I might have thought about it.If this episode has taught me anything it's not to rush into things and to trust my gut. My original thought was to go for a top of the line vintage Sony, I never liked the Pioneer top gear, but maybe marantz. Tom has also reminded me about audio note.

But the one machine that has been on my list since day one and got me thinking about CD in the first place, based on looks and reviews is the Luxman D38u, and maybe I should just trust my instincts.

But the seller isn't saying anything since refusing a return, so a refund may be a long time coming if at all. Meanwhile I have a nice little collection of CDs newly delivered and an Opus 21 sat in it's crate in the spare room. Bugger.

Intenso
30-01-2018, 21:31
Ebay are usually quite quick to resolve returns, so I doubt it will drag on.

I agree with you though regarding rushing in.

What is it they say, 'buy in haste, repent at leisure'.

montesquieu
31-01-2018, 00:45
I would concur with earlier recommendations for Audio Note.

Avoid the current EAR Acute. I had the original one 7-8 years ago and loved it - was an idiot to sell. However I demo’d the EAR Acute Classic - the latest one box version - last year and I was profoundly disappointed. It’s possible it was broken when it got to me - it’s even possible it was the same machine panned in Stereophile (I had this in the same week the review came out) - but I wouldn’t risk it.

I would concur that to get anywhere close to matching your vinyl could get very spendy.

I would certainly return the Opus 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bourney
31-01-2018, 10:18
I run a clock linked pioneer stable platter CD player into a Chevron paradox DAC. Not heard a better digital set up in my system yet. Its not particularly fancy looking though. The puoneer is a joy to use though. Beautiful tray movement etc.

Pieoftheday
31-01-2018, 10:26
If this episode has taught me anything it's not to rush into things and to trust my gut. My original thought was to go for a top of the line vintage Sony, I never liked the Pioneer top gear, but maybe marantz. Tom has also reminded me about audio note.

But the one machine that has been on my list since day one and got me thinking about CD in the first place, based on looks and reviews is the Luxman D38u, and maybe I should just trust my instincts.

But the seller isn't saying anything since refusing a return, so a refund may be a long time coming if at all. Meanwhile I have a nice little collection of CDs newly delivered and an Opus 21 sat in it's crate in the spare room. Bugger.

Do you have to return the item before you get refunded? I can't recall what I did last time I needed a refund:scratch:

Edward
31-01-2018, 10:34
+1 to the Chevron DAC.

farflungstar
31-01-2018, 10:35
Do you have to return the item before you get refunded? I can't recall what I did last time I needed a refund:scratch:I don't know - but I think I need to wait till the end of February.

George47
31-01-2018, 12:25
I don't know - but I think I need to wait till the end of February.

Sounds odd. You have a CD player that is not fit for purpose and you want your money back. Why wait, it won't get better?

farflungstar
31-01-2018, 12:40
Sounds odd. You have a CD player that is not fit for purpose and you want your money back. Why wait, it won't get better?That's what eBay says.

Intenso
31-01-2018, 12:45
Its usually that they are awaiting a response from the seller?

Just as well you applied for the return though.

I just fapped around with a seller regarding a DAC with an imbalance and they sent me a new chip etc. Still no good and now I'm outside the returns window.

The seller is usualy quite good though so we'll see. Still mines only £137...

Pieoftheday
31-01-2018, 13:07
I don't know - but I think I need to wait till the end of February.

A quick look on eBay and as soon as the seller responds you have to send your item back asap, not sure why you have to wait a month though?

farflungstar
31-01-2018, 13:10
A quick look on eBay and as soon as the seller responds you have to send your item back asap, not sure why you have to wait a month though?The seller refuses a return.

twotone
31-01-2018, 13:11
The seller refuses a return.

Did you pay by Paypal? If so they'll refund you your money and tell you to keep the CD player and the seller will have the dosh whipped out of his bank account or credit card.

Pieoftheday
31-01-2018, 13:20
The seller refuses a return.

Ah,well i hope ebay pull their finger out for you or as two-tone suggests,open a PayPal case, things like this can put you off using eBay,hope it works out for you

Macca
31-01-2018, 13:22
Did you pay by Paypal? If so they'll refund you your money and tell you to keep the CD player and the seller will have the dosh whipped out of his bank account or credit card.

This is true. As the buyer you have all the rights as far as eBay/ Paypal are concerned. I feel a bit sorry for the seller as I'm sure he shipped it working but it has obviously had a knock or something in transit. But that is his problem, not yours.

mikeyb
31-01-2018, 13:24
This is the same machine that was advertised on Pinkfishmedia last week?

twotone
31-01-2018, 13:54
This is true. As the buyer you have all the rights as far as eBay/ Paypal are concerned. I feel a bit sorry for the seller as I'm sure he shipped it working but it has obviously had a knock or something in transit. But that is his problem, not yours.

I sold an Arcam CD23T a few years ago to a Dutch buyer and it turned out to be faulty in-so-far as one set of outputs didn't work (I never ever used them) but the buyer was brilliant and obtained a price to repair locally which was €60 which I sent him and that was that however I sold a SUT to a Polish buyer and he obviously didn't have a clue and said the SUT was faulty (it wasn't) however in that case I had to pay postage to him to get the SUT back here to the UK and refund him his money plus Ebay/Paypal paid him too so he received £185 from me plus £15 postage and £185 from ebay/paypal but I did receive the SUT back and then sold it to a wammer in Singapore for the same money.

farflungstar
31-01-2018, 21:11
I sold an Arcam CD23T a few years ago to a Dutch buyer and it turned out to be faulty in-so-far as one set of outputs didn't work (I never ever used them) but the buyer was brilliant and obtained a price to repair locally which was €60 which I sent him and that was that however I sold a SUT to a Polish buyer and he obviously didn't have a clue and said the SUT was faulty (it wasn't) however in that case I had to pay postage to him to get the SUT back here to the UK and refund him his money plus Ebay/Paypal paid him too so he received £185 from me plus £15 postage and £185 from ebay/paypal but I did receive the SUT back and then sold it to a wammer in Singapore for the same money.I looked into having it repaired but the distributer said to return it to the seller as there was a possibility it could not be serviced. They also said that the mother board is irreparable if that's the problem. Otherwise I might have sent it to be serviced and fixed myself. I hate being in this position - he's unhappy and standing his ground - I'm unhappy and standing mine.

twotone
31-01-2018, 21:21
I looked into having it repaired but the distributer said to return it to the seller as there was a possibility it could not be serviced. They also said that the mother board is irreparable if that's the problem. Otherwise I might have sent it to be serviced and fixed myself. I hate being in this position - he's unhappy and standing his ground - I'm unhappy and standing mine.

He's no chance if you paid by Paypal.

farflungstar
31-01-2018, 21:25
He's no chance if you paid by Paypal.He's very confident. I opened the eBay dispute a few days ago. I opened the PayPal claim today - he escalated it to a dispute.

twotone
31-01-2018, 21:43
He's very confident. I opened the eBay dispute a few days ago. I opened the PayPal claim today - he escalated it to a dispute.

I wouldn't be too concerned you are the buyer he hasn't a hope in hell of winning.

I'm sure the guy didn't sell you a pup and I'm sure something's happened between it leaving him and you receiving the CDP but he has zero chance of ebay/Paypal ruling in his favour so he may as well bite the bullet and take the thing back and refund you the fact that he appears to be digging his heels in must tell you something.

I mean you go to M&S and buy a jacket/shirt/whatever then decide you don't want it/like it/it's damaged so what do M&S do, do they piss you off and make you jump through a million hoops, do they accuse you of being a scumbag or do they refund you your money and then thank you for buying from them?

Shit happens but the customer is always right even when they are wrong and that really is the bottom line and this is coming from someone who has run a small business for 30 years and has had affair share of customers clowns during that time but no one wants disgruntled customers bad mouthing them.

Customer service is the most important part of running a business and businesses that don't accept or appreciate that don't last.

farflungstar
31-01-2018, 21:45
I wouldn't be too concerned you are the buyer he hasn't a hope in hell of winning.

I'm sure the guy didn't sell you a pup and I'm sure something's happened between it leaving him and you receiving the CDP but he has zero chance of ebay/Paypal ruling in his favour so he may as well bite the bullet and take the thing back and refund you the fact that he appears to be digging his heels in must tell you something.

I mean you go to M&S and buy a jacket/shirt/whatever then decide you don't want it/like it/it's damaged so what do M&S do, do they piss you off and make you jump through a million hoops, do they accuse you of being a scumbag or do they refund you your money and then thank you for buying from them?

Shit happens but the customer is always right even when they are wrong and that really is the bottom line and this is coming from someone who has run a small business for 30 years and has had affair share of customers clowns during that time but no one wants disgruntled customers bad mouthing them.

Customer service is the most important part of running a business and businesses that don't accept or appreciate that don't last.As the owner of a small private school I understand perfectly and couldn't agree more.

farflungstar
06-02-2018, 16:37
It seems someone on here is the seller of the CDP or a friend but doesn't have the balls to say so publicly.

Looking at the PayPal claim the seller states he has screenshots of this thread and that I obviously don't know what I am doing and have no experience of hi Fi. Really? He states that evidence here shows that I have shorted something - nope. He puts forward that I have been unreasonable from day one - really?

Have some balls why don't you.

mikeyb
06-02-2018, 16:39
He's on Pinkishmedia forum, the CD player was for sale there the same time as it was on eBay.

Sherwood
06-02-2018, 16:51
I have followed your recent trials and tribulations regarding your amp, speakers, and now cd purchases.

Although I am an atheist if I were in your position I would begin to think that someone "up there" had it in for me.

I admire your persistence but not sure that I would be dipping my foot into the "pre-owned" market again!:scratch:

Geoff

struth
06-02-2018, 16:53
not sure how you would manage to short something out without meaning to

Lawrence001
06-02-2018, 16:53
It seems someone on here is the seller of the CDP or a friend but doesn't have the balls to say so publicly.

Looking at the PayPal claim the seller states he has screenshots of this thread and that I obviously don't know what I am doing and have no experience of hi Fi. Really? He states that evidence here shows that I have shorted something - nope. He puts forward that I have been unreasonable from day one - really?

Have some balls why don't you.

If you recall I posted on his pfm thread that someone over here was after a cdp.

farflungstar
06-02-2018, 17:14
He's written a load of bs, he has screenshots from here (my only forum). What annoys me is that after 5 years I now don't trust it here, and second that i cant respond on PayPal to his bs which is crazy.

As for buying second hand - whatever I've bought from members has been fine. eBay a different story and I won't buy again. The speakers had a dodgy solder joint, the amp.is sweet I think but going for a service just to be sure, the cd has an imbalance.

And after 35 years of hifi I've never shorted anything - I don't see how.

struth
06-02-2018, 17:18
He's written a load of bs, he has screenshots from here (my only forum). What annoys me is that after 5 years I now don't trust it here, and second that i cant respond on PayPal to his bs which is crazy.

As for buying second hand - whatever I've bought from members has been fine. eBay a different story and I won't buy again. The speakers had a dodgy solder joint, the amp.is sweet I think but going for a service just to be sure, the cd has an imbalance.

And after 35 years of hifi I've never shorted anything - I don't see how.

you didnt buy it here so no reason to distrust this place.

Mike Reed
06-02-2018, 17:53
If you recall I posted on his pfm thread that someone over here was after a cdp.

Have just seen that, Lawrence. The chap has 79 posts over 8 + years, so is not exactly an 'active' member of pfm. I would have been tempted, as were others on that thread last shown (I think) Jan. 20th.

Macca
06-02-2018, 18:08
How can you short something out on a cd player? You unpack it, plug it in, connect to the amp and switch on. I can't imagine what you would have to do as well as that to cause a fault that created a channel imbalance. Kick it round the room? Why would you do that with your expensive new purchase? He's clutching at straws man, pay it no mind.

farflungstar
06-02-2018, 18:13
How can you short something out on a cd player? You unpack it, plug it in, connect to the amp and switch on. I can't imagine what you would have to do as well as that to cause a fault that created a channel imbalance. Kick it round the room? Why would you do that with your expensive new purchase? He's clutching at straws man, pay it no mind.My worry is PayPal - with no way to respond I can't repute his bs. I wrote a simple note for my claim - he's written a character assassination 4 times as long. If PayPal read the eBay emails they will see that I haver tried everything to let him off the hook - but that's being used against me. W*nker.

Macca
06-02-2018, 18:22
My worry is PayPal - with no way to respond I can't repute his bs. I wrote a simple note for my claim - he's written a character assassination 4 times as long. If PayPal read the eBay emails they will see that I haver tried everything to let him off the hook - but that's being used against me. W*nker.

They aren't daft, I bet they see all sorts. I'd be amazed if they decide to come down against you. If, in the unlikely event they do, send it to me I've got a bloke who can fix it if it is in any way fixable. I know people have said it is the DAC chip or an irreplaceable IC or something but IME the odds are against it being that. Could well be something quite simple.

mikeyb
06-02-2018, 18:23
Do PayPal still take phone calls? If so could try that.

mikeyb
06-02-2018, 18:30
My other thought is that the seller is doing himself no favours as far as future sales are concerned as I'm sure we are all fully aware of who he is and will be avoiding any future sales like the plague.

It might even be the case that something happened in transit, I had that with a Bluesound Node 2 streamer that arrived faulty, took me a lot of testing to try and diagnose the problem, I never did find the cause at my end but the seller took it back and sent it to Bluesound who had to replace the main board and it cured the issue right away. He then sold it elsewhere as I didn't trust it arriving back here safely again.

But that was the benefit of a genuine seller who was prepared to help out a genuine buyer with an item that was perfect when sold but was damaged internally in transit. It might be a similar case with the Opus.

Pieoftheday
06-02-2018, 19:15

+1 it's time to escalate this with eBay and or PayPal

montesquieu
06-02-2018, 19:29

definitely worth a shot

My other thought is that the seller is doing himself no favours as far as future sales are concerned

Indeed this guy has outed himself as someone to be avoided. May be worth a PM to Tony at PFM.

twotone
06-02-2018, 19:38
I'm presuming the OP paid by CC via Paypal if so I'd be raising an action with my CC company.

RichardA
06-02-2018, 22:10
Sounds like the seller has reacted very badly. Its quite possible that the unit was ok on dispatch and it's a problem arising from transportation. However I think most sellers would be mortified to hear that their unit wasn't functioning properly on arrival and would take the goods back - especially when dealing on enthusiast's forum. If as a seller you don't want that risk then sell for collection only.

Mike Reed
06-02-2018, 22:40
I'm presuming the OP paid by CC via Paypal if so I'd be raising an action with my CC company.

Section 75 does not cover third party card purchases; Paypal is the third party. Paypal is the only avenue for a refund, i.m.o.

On another note, if the CDP was properly packed and shipped in the substantial wooden crate shown in the ad., I'd be amazed that transit would cause internal problems yet not external ones.

greygoose
06-02-2018, 22:58
It also highlights the need for insurance for Expensive transactions, I feel your pain, I had a similar issue with one purchase getting damaged but the seller was a trusted member here and we went out of our way to sort it out to each others satisfaction, you only get one reputation in this world.

farflungstar
07-02-2018, 09:34
What annoys me about this is that rather than just jump to the conclusion that the CDP was at fault I tried everything in my system and drove myself crazy in the process to the point I wasn't sure what I was hearing until I put it in another system and got the same result. I chose to blame my own lovely sounding system rather than what the seller had sold me. I even checked how easy it would be for me to get it fixed rather than return it. I also spoke about it here and it is that trial and error process of elimination that is being used against me wth PayPal, selective screenshots from here etc.

The PayPal system is stupid as there is no way to rebut his argument. I simply stated that it didn't function and described having tried it in my system and another. He wrote a long personal attack on my intelligence and trustworthiness - with no way to counter it.

Wth hindsight I shouldn't have opened the PayPal claim but left it with eBay - he was openly happy that I'd gone with PayPal. That action automatically closes the eBay claim.

It isn't the money - i can lose it and it's just less play money this month. I'm not the Loser in this - as I sat listening to my vinyl rig last night I realised that.

Volante
07-02-2018, 10:54
post deleted - apologies

mikeyb
07-02-2018, 10:54
What annoys me about this is that rather than just jump to the conclusion that the CDP was at fault I tried everything in my system and drove myself crazy in the process to the point I wasn't sure what I was hearing until I put it in another system and got the same result. I chose to blame my own lovely sounding system rather than what the seller had sold me. I even checked how easy it would be for me to get it fixed rather than return it. I also spoke about it here and it is that trial and error process of elimination that is being used against me wth PayPal, selective screenshots from here etc.

The PayPal system is stupid as there is no way to rebut his argument. I simply stated that it didn't function and described having tried it in my system and another. He wrote a long personal attack on my intelligence and trustworthiness - with no way to counter it.

Wth hindsight I shouldn't have opened the PayPal claim but left it with eBay - he was openly happy that I'd gone with PayPal. That action automatically closes the eBay claim.

It isn't the money - i can lose it and it's just less play money this month. I'm not the Loser in this - as I sat listening to my vinyl rig last night I realised that.That's exactly what I was like when the Bluesound Node 2 arrived here, spent ages trying to determine what, or where the fault was, drove me nuts and it turned out to be the main board that has been damaged in transit, even though there were no sign of any damage on packaging, luckily it was under warranty and Bluesound repaired it free of charge. Seller in that case was superb in helping me return it and facilitating the repair.

Can't believe the seller in this instance thinks that you broke it. He's on a loser as PayPal will find in your favour and all future potential sales are tainted, not because of the fault ( that can happen to any device ), but because of his refusal to deal with the issue in the proper manner [emoji17]

09mike69
07-02-2018, 12:28
shit situation for both parties, you have both lost out, but i agree that the seller should not have blamed you, and its unfair to assume you broke it by simply putting it to it's intended use,
you can call paypal direct to put your side across, but i dont think that would change anything. you bought an item that is not fit for purpose so i cant see any reason why you wouldnt get a refund. no doubt the seller is concerned that he's going to lose out too, which could be why he's being so defensive. and without visible damage the courier insurance will probably be void, i found that out the hard way.
logical conclusion is that both parties are fully re-imbursed.
but then im a sucker for a happy ending.
all the best
Mike.

hope this is case the buddy

farflungstar
07-02-2018, 12:36
PayPal have required me to send the unit to a repair service and get it in writing that it is damaged from a third party. So, I have to go to the expense. However, that will end the case as he will lose. So will get that sorted today.

twotone
07-02-2018, 12:38
That's exactly what I was like when the Bluesound Node 2 arrived here, spent ages trying to determine what, or where the fault was, drove me nuts and it turned out to be the main board that has been damaged in transit, even though there were no sign of any damage on packaging, luckily it was under warranty and Bluesound repaired it free of charge. Seller in that case was superb in helping me return it and facilitating the repair.

Can't believe the seller in this instance thinks that you broke it. He's on a loser as PayPal will find in your favour and all future potential sales are tainted, not because of the fault ( that can happen to any device ), but because of his refusal to deal with the issue in the proper manner [emoji17]

As I stated above there's only going to one outcome here, Paypal aren't interested in sellers and what they have to say and neither is Ebay so Paypal will reimburse the OP even if they can't get the dosh from the seller.

twotone
07-02-2018, 12:39
PayPal have required me to send the unit to a repair service and get it in writing that it is damaged from a third party. So, I have to go to the expense. However, that will end the case as he will lose. So will get that sorted today.

Best of luck OP, I'm sure all this will be sorted out soon and in your favour.

See this is where people lose it, once that unit is with a service centre not of the seller's choosing then he has left himself wide open which is exactly what he deserves IMO.

Pieoftheday
07-02-2018, 14:55

its a bit of a bugger having to pay for someone to look at it and then will you have to pay for trackable postage back to the seller?

Mike Reed
07-02-2018, 15:25
I thought that Ebay (or Paypal) held onto sale monies for a length of time (3 weeks?) (and this happened to me a tear or so back), pending satisfactory receipt by the buyer. In this case, it's possible that the seller doesn't yet have their funds.

farflungstar
07-02-2018, 15:31
its a bit of a bugger having to pay for someone to look at it and then will you have to pay for trackable postage back to the seller?Yup. €100 UPS to get it. Around €35 bench time. And around €40 cheap trackable back. And I'm they injured party.

Bourney
07-02-2018, 15:42
I'm sure Definitive will have a contact to repair it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he'd buy it off you as is. Kevin basically told me that if i ever see one for sale, BUY IT!! So I'm sure he has a contact who could address any issues.

Idlewithnodrive
07-02-2018, 17:55
I hope it all turns out well for you, I'm pretty sure it will.

If you like a detailed, clear sound with the air / space / tone that valves impart, the Doge 6 is one to consider. I've had mine, must be 4 or 5 years now and still VERY pleased with it.

macspur
08-02-2018, 11:20
Look out for an Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, can be had for a reasonable SH price these days and it's worth it.
I've got one and it's the most analogue sounding player I've ever heard... I demoed Esoteric, Krell, Wadia and Sugden before settling on the Electro.

farflungstar
08-02-2018, 12:44
Paperwork provided. Wondering if while the claim is open I can chargeback the seller for postage back, the service of the ref 75 after possible damage, and the appraisal of the Resolution - bit unfair that I'm out of pocket.

hifi_dave
08-02-2018, 12:49
What ever you buy, whether it is new or s/hand, needs to come from a company providing good backup. One of the main criteria I use when buying in product is the quality of the company manufacturing the products or the ability of the distributor to back up and service the products, long term. There are many companies I wouldn't touch with a barge pole and many distributors who are nothing but a man with a credit card. If things go wrong, there is no real service.

farflungstar
08-02-2018, 12:57
What ever you buy, whether it is new or s/hand, needs to come from a company providing good backup. One of the main criteria I use when buying in product is the quality of the company manufacturing the products or the ability of the distributor to back up and service the products, long term. There are many companies I wouldn't touch with a barge pole and many distributors who are nothing but a man with a credit card. If things go wrong, there is no real service.Fingers burnt - lesson learnt.

09mike69
08-02-2018, 13:31
Paperwork provided. Wondering if while the claim is open I can chargeback the seller for postage back, the service of the ref 75 after possible damage, and the appraisal of the Resolution - bit unfair that I'm out of pocket.

i would seek that money back from paypal, add that cost to the invoice. seems they're looking for the cheapest option, i.e if it's cheaper to have it fixed rather than re-imburse both partie's. which i suppose is fair enough.
it will get resolved but that doesnt change the stress and ball-ache of it all.
all the best
Mike.

farflungstar
14-02-2018, 15:33
PayPal has found in my favour, but will only release the money when the seller confirms the item has been received in the condition it was sent out in. Considering he's claiming I've damaged it I don't see him doing that, not to mention he's a dickhead who will make it as difficult as possible just for the fun of it.

My intention is to video it working and being packed up in front of 12 B2 adult students (Inc. doctor, police, soldier, teacher etc) who will sign that they witnessed it functioning and boxed up for pick up.

I have to pay for shipping.

paulf-2007
14-02-2018, 16:03
PayPal has found in my favour, but will only release the money when the seller confirms the item has been received in the condition it was sent out in. Considering he's claiming I've damaged it I don't see him doing that, not to mention he's a dickhead who will make it as difficult as possible just for the fun of it.

My intention is to video it working and being packed up in front of 12 B2 adult students (Inc. doctor, police, soldier, teacher etc) who will sign that they witnessed it functioning and boxed up for pick up.

I have to pay for shipping.where is it going, maybe you could post to someone on here that could deliver and unpack it in his presence.

Pieoftheday
14-02-2018, 16:30

I have to pay for shipping.

Has it been repaired then Adrian?

Marco
14-02-2018, 16:34
Hi Adrian,

I haven't been following this thread recently, so apologies if I've missed something, but is said dickhead the guy who had advertised this player for sale on pfm? If so, then he needs named and shamed, not only here, but over there, too [indeed, steps will be taken to make that happen]!

If it's someone else you're referring to, then fair enough. In any case, I hope that you get the matter resolved to your satisfaction, ASAP :)

Marco.

farflungstar
14-02-2018, 17:01
No it hasn't been repaired. It went to an engineer as requested by PayPal for a report who agreed there was an imbalance. Hence their decision in my favour.

PayPal seems to have put everything on me to be prove the fault, including paying the 90£ for shipping it back.

The reason I say the guy is a dickhead is because of his personal attack on me. He's not going to make it easy - so I'll get witnesses (benefit of a owning a school) to it working and being packed. In total im around 220£ out of pocket but that doesn't seem to count.

I'll never trust a seller who refuses returns again, no matter the 'bargain'.

Pieoftheday
14-02-2018, 17:18
No it hasn't been repaired. It went to an engineer as requested by PayPal for a report who agreed there was an imbalance. Hence their decision in my favour.

PayPal seems to have put everything on me to be prove the fault, including paying the 90£ for shipping it back.

The reason I say the guy is a dickhead is because of his personal attack on me. He's not going to make it easy - so I'll get witnesses (benefit of a owning a school) to it working and being packed. In total im around 220£ out of pocket but that doesn't seem to count.

I'll never trust a seller who refuses returns again, no matter the 'bargain'.

What an utter shite experience:steam:

Lawrence001
14-02-2018, 17:55
Hi Adrian,

I haven't been following this thread recently, so apologies if I've missed something, but is said dickhead the guy who had advertised this player for sale on pfm? If so, then he needs named and shamed, not only here, but over there, too [indeed, steps will be taken to make that happen]!

If it's someone else you're referring to, then fair enough. In any case, I hope that you get the matter resolved to your satisfaction, ASAP :)

Marco.

I have to point out that, not being a member here, the seller has had no right of reply and we have only heard one side of the story before deciding on his guilt and appointing ourselves judge jury and executioner. While the story seems pretty clear cut from one side, it usually does, and I am reminded of the John Wood amp incident where similar judgements were initially made but subsequently found to be not black and white. I'm not seeking to defend anyone's actions, but in the interests of justice I think both sides need to be heard, and I hope they will be on pink fish. As I said I met him once at Scalford last year and found him to be a nice genuine guy.

struth
14-02-2018, 18:14
Yup I doubt he would have it up in forum if faulty so it's maybe happened after he packed it it's not that impossible for something to go wrong I guess.
Also he is going to be out a grand of player so you can see why positions become entrenched

Pieoftheday
14-02-2018, 18:16
Could a claim be made with the courier? That would have to be the seller though I suppose

Marco
14-02-2018, 18:17
I have to point out that, not being a member here, the seller has had no right of reply and we have only heard one side of the story before deciding on his guilt and appointing ourselves judge jury and executioner. While the story seems pretty clear cut from one side, it usually does, and I am reminded of the John Wood amp incident where similar judgements were initially made but subsequently found to be not black and white. I'm not seeking to defend anyone's actions, but in the interests of justice I think both sides need to be heard, and I hope they will be on pink fish. As I said I met him once at Scalford last year and found him to be a nice genuine guy.

Sure, Lawrence, fairness in these matters is always important, so the other guy involved (I don't know his name) will be more than welcome to come here and defend himself if necessary.

I simply take a very dim view of someone, in what is [in the grand scheme of things] such a small and close-knit enthusiast audio community, seemingly behaving in such an appalling manner, and if true, these folk need outing and exposed, simply to protect the interests of the former, and indeed anyone else from experiencing what Adrian has - and I will do everything I can to ensure that happens.

Marco.

Macca
14-02-2018, 18:36
I am reminded of the John Wood amp incident where similar judgements were initially made but subsequently found to be not black and white. .

Actually that was black and white. Even the High Court thought so.

I can see the thrust of your argument though. We know Adrian is genuine and not some chancer, the seller doesn't. And I'm sure that he tested it just before packing and it was working fine.

So damage in transit, for which a claim could have been made if the damage was reported within 1 working day of delivery. Too late now though.

Lawrence001
14-02-2018, 18:41
Ok, I shouldn't have brought up the John Wood incident, let's lay that to rest now (again!) I think the less said about that the better!

Macca
14-02-2018, 19:00
Ok, I shouldn't have brought up the John Wood incident, let's lay that to rest now (again!) I think the less said about that the better!

True!

mikeyb
14-02-2018, 20:36
http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/resolution-audio-opus-21-black-on-black-high-end-cd-player-reduced.210951/

farflungstar
14-02-2018, 20:50
I agree that everyone has a right to reply, but I haven't accused him of misleading or anything else, only that it has a fault for whatever reason. His reaction with PayPal is the reason I call him a dickhead - attacking me personally as an idiot, clueless, up to no good etc he wrote so much about me he ran out of words in the PayPal interface - when I've been more than pleasant wth him, saying I wasnt questioning his honesty, questioning my own system and sanity, willing to pay for the fix if it were viable. All I wanted was to hand over the cash and have a working cd player that I could listen to - regardless of its quality which is subjective and no reason to return it - but I haven't had that opportunity - it's been sat in a crate in the spare room. If the boot was on the other foot im sure I would be in same situation only as the seller, but with a little more grace.

Marco
15-02-2018, 09:44
Response from Eddie, the seller concerned, which has been forwarded to me via PM:

Dear Moderators / Owner

I am writing to you as I have a serious issue with one of your senior members from a number of posts which I find very offensive and are causing me a great deal of stress. I do a lot in hi-fi circles all over the UK and over various forums and what he has been writing online is slanderous, offensive and stressful to me. I have screenshot all the slanderous, derogatory comments as evidence and for someone who claims to own a small school they don't seem to mind freely and openly using foul language to express their feelings either.

This is the thread in question.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...r-wanted/page8

Some have actually acknowledged the seller here and I appreciate that. There are people there also who are giving this member support but only seeing one side of the story, and I have actually met and know who quite a few of these people are in person. I am not a multi-million pound outfit like M&S like some have mentioned, who can afford to take a hit if a customer brings something back that they dont like or has developed a fault. And I'm not the owner of any pretentiously named business in Spain either, I've got a lowly job here in the UK which I pretty much only do just to support my family. As much as I don't want to see anyone unhappy, what left me was a superb and fully working CD player and if I took it back I'd be left pretty much with a £3000 CD player which will probably never be fixed. I cant be held responsible for something once someone starts using it, and reading through this thread its pretty much anyone's guess to what's actually happened here, but I can assure you I did not and would not sell anything as good working order to anyone.

Why would anyone honestly think that someone would send something faulty hoping that a buyer would just not notice (especially out of the UK). I've got almost 800 positive feedbacks as a private seller on ebay, this is my first dispute ever!

I'm just a single hobbyist who enjoys audio equipment. I cant afford to keep everything I buy and if I want something else I need to sell things which usually works out ok. And on that note I've had hundreds of CD players over the years and I know when something is substandard or faulty even in the slightest. I used that CD player with 3 different amplifiers here at home, a number of different speakers and 3 different high quality headphones/amps also for some 'very close' listening. Which is why this whole ordeal has and still is causing me a lot of frustration and stress. That was an amazing player and I was using it daily before it left, never with any issues.

Who buys a 3 grand CD player when they only have 1 CD anyway ( the other one he mentions, I left in the packaging!). You might have sold something yourself which was extremely valuable (relevant to your income) can you imagine this happening to you?

I am now being forced by eBay to take the item back in whatever state its in now and refund plus the postage to Spain. 'I didn't even want to send it to Spain' and there were others contacting me about it locally as well but this Spanish ('English') buyer seemed very keen. This case is not sorted yet and I may even seek further legal advice on the situation yet but I hope you understand the situation from my perspective now.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

Eddie

PS

And I don't appreciate being called a 'dickhead' Marco as you put it. I am certainly not someone who tries his luck selling dodgy goods on ebay. I do hope you have a better understanding of that now.

In the interests of balance, I felt that the above should be published in the public domain. Eddie is of course free to register and join in the discussion to defend himself accordingly, as indeed is Adrian to reply to the above.

The reason why I commented as I did earlier, was simply to prompt a response from the seller, which has now duly been achieved, as I believe that these disputes need brought out into the open and debated if necessary, among all relevant parties, so that members using our classifieds section can make up their OWN minds as to who they're dealing with, from both a buyer and seller's perspective.

I have no 'dog in this race'. My concern is simply for maintaining the efficacy of our classifieds section, by ensuring as far as possible the legal and/or ethical behaviour of all who use it (buyers and sellers), thus protecting as far as possible anyone from having a bad experience :)

Marco.

P.S Apologies to Eddie for the "dickhead" remark. I was simply quoting Adrian, not directing that insult at him personally.

speedracer
15-02-2018, 10:37
It is only fair that the seller should have right of reply so well done Marko for facilitating that.

It seems to me that the seller is not acknowledging that the CDP could have been damaged in transit and is implying the buyer caused damage because of apparent lack of experience of digital equipment. I know it is very frustrating when things go wrong but actually getting a diagnosis of the fault will lead to a probable cause, and any seller would be daft to send something so valuable without the proper insurance, and if the buyer baulks at this then don't sell it to him.
I sell on ebay myself quite a bit so I know how their system works, and agree with others that ebay almost always side with buyers rather than sellers, I myself have had one dispute as a seller with over 1300 feedback, I did everything I should have, at my cost by the way, explained my case and I won and had those costs added to my refund, so it can be done.
As a seller you have to suck it up, it is one of the risks, but you try to mitigate those risks as much as possible by doing things by the book.

farflungstar
15-02-2018, 10:37
Ok let's clean up some of this.

This thread wasn't about the tribulations of eBay - it was originally about finding a good cd player!

Firstly, I don't want to get into a slagging match with anyone. However if calling someone a dickhead for the way they've spoken about me on another platform is odious to the poster then don't post crap about me in the first place. Unfortunately, until I enter the UPS details into PayPal I cannot access the message sent by the seller - id happily copy and paste it here so others can judge if the term dickhead is applicable or not. Im also happy to post messages from eBay but don't feel I should need to.

I have neither commented on PFM (im a member, I think) or left him feedback on eBay, nor have I tracked him down to have a go at him on here - I think that says something about my motives, that aside from judging him for his attitude and words it isn't personal.

This whole thing could have been sorted out wth a bit of understanding from the seller rather than a diatribe of put downs on the PayPal system.

I asked him via eBay for his telephone number for UPS who need a number for delivery - of course I've heard nothing.

So, let's get this straight - I don't care who, what, where or why. I simply want it resolving.

Marco
15-02-2018, 11:18
Hi Adrian,

Firstly, I don't want to get into a slagging match with anyone. However if calling someone a dickhead for the way they've spoken about me on another platform is odious to the poster then don't post crap about me in the first place. Unfortunately, until I enter the UPS details into PayPal I cannot access the message sent by the seller - id happily copy and paste it here so others can judge if the term dickhead is applicable or not. Im also happy to post messages from eBay but don't feel I should need to.

You don't need to, of course, and doing so would be entirely at your discretion, but if it's possible to publish the dialogue that took place between Eddie and you, from the point where you made him aware of the issue you had with the CD player, then that would help people judge for themselves who was being the more reasonable.

I appreciate why this thread was originally started, and sincerely sympathise with your predicament, but this is now also about protecting your reputation as a buyer, as much as it is about Eddie protecting his as a seller. Therefore, the more evidence you provide, which you feel supports your case, the better, and that applies to both of you.

It's a sorry mess, no doubt, but hopefully by hosting this discussion in the public domain, it will result in both resolving the matter for you, and also in some valuable lessons being learned by all, for use in future :)

Marco.

Mike Reed
15-02-2018, 12:34
What baffles me is the seeming impossibility of diagnosing, then correcting, the fault, which I understand is an imbalance on one channel. Most stuff of any age can be repaired by a host of capable repairers, many of whom are members of the main forums. I accept that parts like lasers can effectively make CDPs obsolete, but an imbalance, possibly caused by an under-performing component surely doesn't fall into that category.

I find that the likelihood of this fault developing in transit to be a very long shot. It could easily have been a coincidental failure upon switch-on, as has happened to me. I imagine that the seller will, indeed, have the machine looked at after confirming the fault; probably easier in this country than Spain, I guess. The psychology of the brickbats thrown in this affair is easily understood, and doesn't necessarily imply any shortcomings from either party. If it had been acquired by a buyer in this country, things would have been easier to resolve, I feel.

twotone
15-02-2018, 12:59
What baffles me is the seeming impossibility of diagnosing, then correcting, the fault, which I understand is an imbalance on one channel. Most stuff of any age can be repaired by a host of capable repairers, many of whom are members of the main forums. I accept that parts like lasers can effectively make CDPs obsolete, but an imbalance, possibly caused by an under-performing component surely doesn't fall into that category.

I find that the likelihood of this fault developing in transit to be a very long shot. It could easily have been a coincidental failure upon switch-on, as has happened to me. I imagine that the seller will, indeed, have the machine looked at after confirming the fault; probably easier in this country than Spain, I guess. The psychology of the brickbats thrown in this affair is easily understood, and doesn't necessarily imply any shortcomings from either party. If it had been acquired by a buyer in this country, things would have been easier to resolve, I feel.

Coincidently I've been in contact with a long established PFM member who sold a top of the line JVC amp a few months ago, reason being the same model amp is on sale in the classified at the minute and I wanted to hear his feedback on the amp anyway it transpired that the guy imported two of the amps from japan and sold one on but his own amp has now developed a similar fault to the CDP in this thread and despite sending the amp to an engineer to try to find the fault the engineer couldn't find any fault with it presumably because it's such a complex amp so the guy was actually thinking about buying the for sale amp cause it's an NOS amp, albeit that the seller has been using it for about two years, and moving his 'faulty' amp on presumably cause he can't get to the bottom of the fault which is at low volume levels one channel is quieter than the other but when the volume rises then both channels are fine.

That sort of fault would drive you mad, I was going to buy the amp and have it repaired until the guy told me about it having been looked at and the engineer couldn't find the fault, presumably he would be able to find the fault eventually but that would likely end up costing more than the amp is worth.

Tony

Macca
15-02-2018, 13:28
I've taken faulty amps to engineers who said they couldn't find the fault, and then taken them to others who have found it and fixed it within the hour. Not all EEs are created equal.

worrasf
15-02-2018, 16:01
A morality story ....

I sold my Goldbug Mr Brier to Adrian a few months back.
It was the one I bought from DOM at NWA and so was in perfect condition.
I shipped it out to Spain in "bomb-proof" packaging by UPS Express.
On arrival Adrian informed me that there was no stylus tip on the cantilever and the wooden top plate on the headshell had come off and was lying loose inside the box!!
Both stylus and headshell were intact when I shipped (I took photos).
I fully refunded Adrian's money without question and he shipped the damaged Brier back to me.
It's now with DOM for TLC.

The point of my post? Honour.

I know the cartridge was perfect when shipped - I trust the buyer that it arrived faulty. Nobody should have to shell out their hard earned cash for a dud.

Adrian is out of pocket as he had to pay for shipping to the UK.
I am out of pocket as DOM's bill won't be cheap but it's "the right thing to do".

My lesson learned is that I won't ship stuff out of the UK again.

Steve

paulf-2007
15-02-2018, 16:39
When I bought my Denon DP80 from Japan the strobe light didn't work. I took it to a chap I know that repairs amps, organs, pa equipment etc, he replaced done parts and hot it working fine line he has with everything I've taken to him, he wasn't phased in the slightest by the Denon and reckons he could build something similar should the unobtanium parts go tits up.

Mike Reed
15-02-2018, 17:29
Coincidently I've been in contact with a long established PFM member who sold a top of the line JVC amp a few months ago, reason being the same model amp is on sale in the classified at the minute and I wanted to hear his feedback on the amp anyway it transpired that the guy imported two of the amps from japan and sold one on but his own amp has now developed a similar fault to the CDP in this thread and despite sending the amp to an engineer to try to find the fault the engineer couldn't find any fault with it presumably because it's such a complex amp so the guy was actually thinking about buying the for sale amp cause it's an NOS amp, albeit that the seller has been using it for about two years, and moving his 'faulty' amp on presumably cause he can't get to the bottom of the fault which is at low volume levels one channel is quieter than the other but when the volume rises then both channels are fine.

That sort of fault would drive you mad, I was going to buy the amp and have it repaired until the guy told me about it having been looked at and the engineer couldn't find the fault, presumably he would be able to find the fault eventually but that would likely end up costing more than the amp is worth.

Tony

Well, yes, but that sounds like a pot. and/or balance control fault (guessing here) whereas, unless the CDP had output pot's, I can't see that an imbalance at line level out would be derived from the same cause. Anyway, as posted above, there are electronics engineers and electronics engineers. Incredible true story of the Goldbug Briar cart. (a long time ago, I'd guess); must have been dropped from a great height; an aeroplane, maybe, if air-mail ?

Marco
15-02-2018, 17:32

I know the cartridge was perfect when shipped - I trust the buyer that it arrived faulty. Nobody should have to shell out their hard earned cash for a dud.

I am out of pocket as DOM's bill won't be cheap but it's "the right thing to do".

Nice one, Steve. "The right [honourable] thing to do", in the event of a problem, even if it doesn't result in the best outcome for YOU, is the behaviour we should all be striving for, when buying and selling things from each other.

I see way too much of the opposite [me-first selfishness] in these disputes, and that's fundamentally *not* what the AoS community is about (or for that matter, any other audio community should be about), so well done! :cool:

My job is simply to protect and maintain the value of our classifieds section, to the AoS community, by exposing and highlighting any underhand or ungentlemanly behaviour displayed by its participants.

Marco.

farflungstar
15-02-2018, 17:43
A morality story ....

I sold my Goldbug Mr Brier to Adrian a few months back.
It was the one I bought from DOM at NWA and so was in perfect condition.
I shipped it out to Spain in "bomb-proof" packaging by UPS Express.
On arrival Adrian informed me that there was no stylus tip on the cantilever and the wooden top plate on the headshell had come off and was lying loose inside the box!!
Both stylus and headshell were intact when I shipped (I took photos).
I fully refunded Adrian's money without question and he shipped the damaged Brier back to me.
It's now with DOM for TLC.

My lesson learned is that I won't ship stuff out of the UK again.

SteveSteve was a gent over it. I was sooooo disappointed as it has been on my wish list for over 20 years and had been paying for it over a couple of months thanks to Steve's generosity!

I've had lots shipped to me without issue including numerous Shilabe carts from Hugo, Reed arms, and gear from Tom and others without any issue. I guess it's down to luck, a stupid bit of wood came loose during transit that no one could have imagined happening but it did.

The next big buy was the Opus - and look what happened. They say they come in 3's so I better be careful and buy something cheap first!

Ninanina
15-02-2018, 20:13
One thing I learnt about buying used is that CD players/transports are the most risky of all hifi purchases

I've never had a problem buying used amps, dacs or speakers but have had a problem when buying cdp's. I was really worried when I purchased my used CD5XS even though it came from a dealer with some protection and a warranty but I think the bombproof Naim packing helped

The only time I had a problem when buying used hifi, and I've purchased loads over the years, was a lovely Teac VRDS player; it was in superb condition but still had a fault which made it unplayable, the seller refunded me and allowed me to keep it, however it was a private bereavement sale and it came from a very good home and lovely people

farflungstar
15-02-2018, 21:07
Well, yes, but that sounds like a pot. and/or balance control fault (guessing here) whereas, unless the CDP had output pot's, I can't see that an imbalance at line level out would be derived from the same cause. Anyway, as posted above, there are electronics engineers and electronics engineers. Incredible true story of the Goldbug Briar cart. (a long time ago, I'd guess); must have been dropped from a great height; an aeroplane, maybe, if air-mail ?
Actually I dont think physical force was the critical factor with the Brier. There is a wooden top to the headshell and it was this that came off and found itself free to jiggle about around the stylus. No one could have foreseen this. In my opinion it was the glues age that was the fault, and it's failure could have been caused by humidity, temp, or force. It looked like a rubber based glue and didn't look to be in good shape, 30 odd years is a long time.

Steve had packed the cart double boxed with exemplary packing and was genuinely as shocked as I was and immediately offered a refund. I never even had it out if it's little plastic box after 2 months of sending Steve whatever I could afford to buy it. We were both truly pissed off but pragmatic about it.

twotone
15-02-2018, 21:15
I've taken faulty amps to engineers who said they couldn't find the fault, and then taken them to others who have found it and fixed it within the hour. Not all EEs are created equal.

Well knowing the guy in question, as I do, I'm sure he would have spent whatever was required to get the amp sorted but some of those old Japanese amps are nearly forty years old now and very complex with parts no longer available but yes not all engineers or doctors or solicitors are the same I agree but it all comes down to money at the end of the day.

Floyddroid
15-02-2018, 21:42

Me too.

Barry
15-02-2018, 23:16
One thing I learnt about buying used is that CD players/transports are the most risky of all hifi purchases

I've never had a problem buying used amps, dacs or speakers but have had a problem when buying cdp's. I was really worried when I purchased my used CD5XS even though it came from a dealer with some protection and a warranty but I think the bombproof Naim packing helped

The only time I had a problem when buying used hifi, and I've purchased loads over the years, was a lovely Teac VRDS player; it was in superb condition but still had a fault which made it unplayable, the seller refunded me and allowed me to keep it, however it was a private bereavement sale and it came from a very good home and lovely people

I've bought, over the years, three CDPs; two within the UK, one from Poland. All arived in perfect condition and all performed flawlessly. I guess it's all down to luck.

Ninanina
15-02-2018, 23:44
I've bought, over the years, three CDPs; two within the UK, one from Poland. All arived in perfect condition and all performed flawlessly. I guess it's all down to luck.

That's pretty good Barry so I guess I was just unlucky ;)

montesquieu
16-02-2018, 00:32

I've had three CDPs arrive with issues, a stable platter Pioneer which lost the lens from the laser en route (it was found in the box but not in good-enough nick to re-use - relatively easy fix thankfully); a Teac transport that arrived totally goosed and wasn't worth repairing (new mech being around the same price as I'd paid for the transport); and a Lampizator-type modded Marantz that also arrived with problems. All were in original boxes BTW.

I've twice had a cartridge lose a stylus en route - once en route to me (a fancy retipped Denon whose stylus guard slipped off and took the new cantilever with it) and another (an AT) I had shipped to someone else, just normally in the box in the mistaken belief that a push fit stylus guard would stay on (you think I'd have learned).

OK I have got through a lot of kit (not quite on Jerry's scale but I've not been too far behind at times) but I've had things arrive with tubes smashed inside tube cages (how they managed that I'll never figure out), with bent panels and corners knocked out of whack, with cracked boards, smashed connectors or internal wires disconnected.

I seriously minimise any courier use these days. In fact nowadays I'd rather drive two hours for a meet up when selling or buying than risk shipping. When my Radford STA100 is ready I'm planning a six hour each way drive to North Cornwall to pick it up rather than trust couriers. When I got my EAR 912 I drove to Belgium to collect it.

The last thing I'd ship anywhere is a turntable. I got a Lenco a while back that was shipped to me loose in a box in a single skin of bubble wrap (around the whole thing including plastic lid), arm weights left on, platter left on, needless to say it arrived as a mixture of plastic shards and matchwood - this after I was assured it would be packed carefully.

But the second to last thing I'd ship anywhere is a CDP. My Audio Note transport was collected from Brighton when purchased and dropped to/collected from an Audio Note employee who lives local to me when it had to go back for transport issues. No way I'm trusting that to anybody.

Ninanina
16-02-2018, 01:45
Tom that's exactly my thoughts about shipping/receiving CDP's

When I sold my Pioneer stable platter I wrapped it in so much bubble wrap it turned out to be a huge package and I still worried that it might not arrive in one piece and working as it was when it left me... it turned out ok though..

I have absolutely no problem in buying/selling amps, dacs or speakers but CDP's always worries me..

Lawrence001
16-02-2018, 08:07
An EE has just cancelled the collection of my tri vista dac on Sunday and stuck it in the post, I hope it arrives safely as it weighs a ton.