PDA

View Full Version : Nakamichi dr-3 and Linn Axis

rasker
02-03-2010, 08:59
Hi all,

First post here. I have the two devices listed in the title (bought new many years ago). Unfortunately, I bought them right at the beginning of the 'digital Revolution'.

I have just plugged in the DR-3 after probably 15 years and unsurprisingly it has a couple of problems :) The display comes on and it can rewind tapes ok but when I try to play them it turns the tape a bit and then stops. Any advice on how I can get it going? (Have screwdriver, will open case!).

With the Linn Axis, I believe it should work ok after a clean, I just need the hinges for the cover. I tried a Linn dealer but he never came through with the goods.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Rehan

PS if it's going to be too expensive to get these things going myself I don't mind letting these go to a good home. I'm based in NW London.

Rare Bird
02-03-2010, 13:12
Sound like a capacitor has given up in the Nak..As for the Linn 'Axis' they should be the same hinges as the Linn 'Sondek'.a few on E-Bay.

Alex Nikitin
03-03-2010, 14:39
Hi all,

First post here. I have the two devices listed in the title (bought new many years ago). Unfortunately, I bought them right at the beginning of the 'digital Revolution'.

I have just plugged in the DR-3 after probably 15 years and unsurprisingly it has a couple of problems :) The display comes on and it can rewind tapes ok but when I try to play them it turns the tape a bit and then stops. Any advice on how I can get it going? (Have screwdriver, will open case!).
Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Rehan

PS if it's going to be too expensive to get these things going myself I don't mind letting these go to a good home. I'm based in NW London.

Hi Rehan,

Most likely your DR-3 needs new belts and possibly some cleaning of the mechanism contacts. It is a nice deck and if you need some help in fixing it, drop me a PM - I'm in Ruislip.

Cheers

Alex

DSJR
07-03-2010, 16:10
With the Nak, try fast winding a few cassettes from one end to the other and back again. This may be all you need to do. I can't remember which ones, but early machines (BX series certainly) came with a rubber tyred idler for spool winding and this failed after a few years. nak went over to a gear drive which was noisy on winding, but cured the slipping. - Good luck...

The Linn hinges are availale on ebay fairly often, together with belts, bearing oil and mats from the Linn shop. Some Axis turntables suffer with knackered caps which are loaded quite hard if the deck is left pluged in 24/7. Hopefully you won't have this problem.