PDA

View Full Version : FS: Proac Response Three (3) in walnut, owned from new - £1100

Volante
15-01-2018, 08:13
As part of thinning out my keeper-speaker collection (down-sizing!) reluctantly selling my lovely pair of Proac Response Three s in walnut veneer with original drivers, plinths and spikes. Owned from new by me in smoke/pet-free home - small scuff marks consistent with ageon one side panel but hardly noticeable. Made in the heyday of Stewart Tyler's design. I think they look particularly pretty in their walnut wood veneer. Relatively small footprint and elegant despite their height. From memory RRP was c. £3k back in the day. Today's eqivalent model is c. £5k to £6k
Jack English in "Stereophile" said
"The ProAc Response Threes are marvelous in every regard, and merit audition with speakers at any price. They are, without question, the most satisfying audio component I've auditioned in years. Without a doubt, the ProAc Response Threes are Stewart Tyler's crowning achievement. They are outstanding in every aspect of sonic performance usually discussed. More important, they are unequivocally faithful to the music. Go hear them now! If you even consider changing your speakers, I implore you to audition these imported masterpieces from the UK—a truly Class A product in every regard."

Plenty of other rave reviews online and many on this forum will be familiar with the Stewart Tyler Response Three sound. Prefer collection London or West Sussex . I don't have original boxes but I do have original brochure!
Please PM me if interested or if you would like more pics or information.
Asking £1100.

jandl100
15-01-2018, 09:09
Hey, wow - Memory Lane for me. :)
I had a pair yonks ago when they first came out.
Really enjoyed them.
I recall a local hifi dealer bringing a DAC round for me to try - he was quite dismayed how good the Response 3 were sounding - better than anything he stocked by a mile was the impression I got. :D

I prefer the older Response speakers to the newer ones, the original Response 2 had a touch of extra magic as well.
GLWS.

anubisgrau
15-01-2018, 20:02
Nice speakers. Out of curiousity, what amp you drove them with? VRR?

Volante
15-01-2018, 23:25
Nice speakers. Out of curiousity, what amp you drove them with? VRR?
Hi Gordan,
I used to drive them with a pair of Lumley 120s and then later Lumley 250's (with a "CAT" SL-1 preamp and an original Townshend Rock Reference T/T which I still have in my cupboard).
I think Stewart Tyler voiced them using Cary valve amps.
Neil

jandl100
16-01-2018, 06:33
I used to drive them with a pair of Lumley 120s

:eek:
I did, as well.
Amazing coincidence.
Also, later, EAR 509/ii, as well as some ss.
They do respond well to powerful valve amps.

Volante
16-01-2018, 08:14
:eek:
I did, as well.
Amazing coincidence.
Also, later, EAR 509/ii, as well as some ss.
They do respond well to powerful valve amps.

Yes Jerry,
Quite a coincidence.
Lumley 120's or equivalent valve amps with power would be perfect to bring them alive.
Their mid-range (reinforced by good bass) is very sweet.
A bargain for someone - but he would say that wouldn't he.

Mike Reed
16-01-2018, 11:15
Hi Gordan.

I think Stewart Tyler voiced them using Cary valve amps.
Neil

When I had those lovely Response Threes (about 1997/8), I was told by ProAc that their Response models (at least) were designed with Audio Research amplification. I later went to 3.5s and then the behemoth R4s with initially Naim (for the R3 and R3.5)) and later E.A.R. 509 mk.2s.

Rarely get on here nowadays, though used to frequently. These speakers are an easy load, extremely musical, image well, are musical in all the right ways and dynamic too. Just had to post, as these or their successors rarely come up nowadays and are so good. As mentioned, these first Response floor-standing models are indeed probably the best of the series. G.L.W.S.

anubisgrau
16-01-2018, 12:14
both cary and AR are mentioned in context of voicing proacs, at least that is what was written around on different fora.

frankly i could never get why would anyone buy living voice with having proac around

stu.dio
16-01-2018, 13:07
Sorry I'm not purchasing these; but wanted to congratulate you on how well you've kept them, they look beautiful!

Pharos
16-01-2018, 13:41
I remember being impressed with them because they sounded like my ESSs of the 80s, and IMO better then the ATCs I had adopted.

If I hadn't just blown a lot of money on speakers I would be tempted.

Volante
16-01-2018, 14:21
Thanks guys for the helpful comments.

User211
16-01-2018, 18:46
I'd buy them for a third system but the wife just won't accommodate the idea.

Used to own some 2.5s. Used to lust after a pair of these.

Volante
19-01-2018, 21:30
Bump on a cold Friday night. A few enquiries but nothing solid yet.

Volante
23-01-2018, 07:18
Tuesday bump - Spring is on its way

Volante
25-01-2018, 12:50
Thursday bump

Natara
25-01-2018, 15:50
What are they like in smallish rooms 12 x 14 foot say?

jandl100
25-01-2018, 21:57
What are they like in smallish rooms 12 x 14 foot say?

I suspect that would be fine.
I had mine in a 12x23 foot room, but there was a dining area at one end so my actual listening space was probably very similar to yours.
They are quite small speakers in cross-section - about a foot square, iirc,

Mike Reed
26-01-2018, 09:15
I only have the brochure for the Response 3 Signature, but I'm pretty sure the dimensions were the same; i.e. 47" h on plinth, 11" wide and 12" deep. However, the pic. shows the port in the front, and I have a vague recollection that the R3 had a port in the back. Could be wrong here, but I imagine it makes a fair old difference to room placement in respect of rear space.

jandl100
26-01-2018, 09:25
Check out the photos in the op, the port is on the front!
But they do need 2 or 3 feet of space behind them to give of their best.

Volante
26-01-2018, 15:20
Thanks Jerry for anwering the question while I was away from the site .
Confirmed - port is on the front but as Jerry says 2-3 ft space behind gives them better balance.