PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Starlings

SteveW
28-02-2010, 22:41
Don't know if this pic will show it that well, but nantwich has turned into this Hitchcockian nightmare. My car is just covered in shit every night.
Not a lot one can do..:steam:

Looks amazing though.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/DSC_0010.jpg

The Vinyl Adventure
28-02-2010, 22:54
Wow, that is amazing!
I used to live in the center of town just off the high street. We had a fairly large problem with the sea gulls, not only was there a constant squawking all day and night 10 months of the year but as I lived on the top floor I could also hear the feckers wondering about on the roof ... Properly lost my rag the one Sunday, started jumping up and down shouting, as after being kept up all night by seagulls squawking some bloke started killing pigs (playing the bag pipes) down the road... We didn't even have anything nice to look at - in fact the one day we had a pair of the buggers start rutting on the window sill

SteveW
28-02-2010, 23:03
lol

Don't get me started about the pidgeons. Bastards.

Well... In fairness, more to do with the pillock who lives at the back of us and let roof fall in on his mums old house that adjoins us. The council forced him to fix it and put the roof back on. Then after that we had ovr 100 of the sods roosting on the roof. Then the starlings arrived. I'm turning into Basil Fawltey.

The Grand Wazoo
28-02-2010, 23:21
That would be a 'murmeration of starlings you've got there!

When I was student, doing my industrial experience in forestry in North Devon, we spent many autumn evenings battling with the likes of that flock in your photo. When you get huge flocks roosting in a woodland, the poo which they can collectively produce can be a useful source of fertiliser. But if allowed to accumulate when they roost in the same wood night after night, it can kill entire woods because of an overly high concentration of the chemicals involved. So we used to try to move them on from wood to wood - loads of blokes walking through trees shouting, yelling and rattling anything that rattles (beer cans full of stones!).

Now, what's the first thing that a starling does when it takes off? That's right it 'spreads fertiliser'. Where do you want to be standing when tens of thousands of starlings take off? Not underneath them, that's where!

...........Yeuch! Messy!

The Vinyl Adventure
28-02-2010, 23:32
I can't find the Gary Larson cartoon I was thinking of but it is very much in the same vein as this

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/4e70cea0.jpg

DanJennings
01-03-2010, 09:15
http://i2.tinypic.com/282nk7r.jpg

SteveW
01-03-2010, 09:36
Ha !! Perfect !!

Funnily enough we saw a lady walking back from town last night holding an umbrella. Wasn't raining !

A murmuration. What a perfect word.

Its such a glorious day here today, I'll see if I can capture a pic of the flock(s) tonight when they are really dense.

Macca
01-03-2010, 10:44
That would be a 'murmeration of starlings you've got there!
!

Red sun, going down
Way over dirty town
Starlings, they're sweeping around
Crazy shoal

I guess 'murmeration' just wouldn't scan...

goraman
02-03-2010, 00:53
Reminds me of the flys in Pakistan in late summer,The meat hangs from a hook in open air markets.
I thought the Ox meat was peppered till I got close enough to see it was all flys.
They swarmed off thousends at once then swarmed back on it as I stepped away.
That shot of the Starlings looks like the sky over the meat market after they leave the meat.

I would find oppertunity in it, SELL tarps,car covers and umbrellas!
I'm close to Mexico.I could send some Sambraro's.
Each day you could messure the depth of the droppings in the large brim or bowel of the hat,like a rain gauge but for bird shxt.

giorgino
03-03-2010, 01:47
Sorry guys - a little OT but I always loved this cartoon:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2vv42dd.png

Kinda analogous to the objective /subjective / what's good sound argument.... :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows: