PDA

View Full Version : What do we have here?........Denon 301 MK2

Bigman80
14-01-2018, 00:12
On loan from Jimbo, I have strapped this to my tonearm in preparation for a listening session tomorrow. Any one have any experience with one ?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180114/f663308af8dd3b0e51d534d396bfd72a.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
14-01-2018, 00:15
What is it? Looks like a DL something.

Marco
14-01-2018, 00:25
The clue's in the title, daftee! ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
14-01-2018, 00:27
Ah. Half asleep and shortly off to bed. You have to give the old guys a bit of leeway! :)

Marco
14-01-2018, 00:29
Lol.... Don't forget your sleep cap and thermal PJs, granddad! :eyebrows:;)

Marco.

Bigman80
14-01-2018, 00:32
[emoji23][emoji23]

Qwin
14-01-2018, 19:30
Yes I've used one, liked it a lot till the cantilever just fell out.

Paired with a Pro-Ject Phono Box RS and a Trans-fi Audio parallel tracking arm on a Technics SL-1200 based, but highly modified deck.

Good clean sound, punchy and detailed, maybe very slightly veiled in the lower mid range, but hardly noticeable. Much preferred it to a Goldring 1042 and Ortofon M2 Red in the same set up. Seems to handle surface noise very well.

Hope that helps.:)

Jimbo
15-01-2018, 07:09
Looks good on that arm and matches your platter!:)

I return to this cartridge often as it has a lot of great qualities and is certainly one you can sit back and enjoy. It lets you concentrate on the music and forget about analysing the 'hifi' aspects. It has a great midrange analogue sound and handles old records particularly well because of its spectacular lack of surface noise. This is the best I have experienced in that regard. Tracking ability is also second to none.

For absolute detail and extracting the very last drop of information it is lacking but there again I don't think that this is what the Denon 301mk2 is about. It is really an easy listening, very good value for money MC cartridge which lets you simply sit back and enjoy the music. I would be interested to know how it compares with a 103 as it shares the same engine. Stylus profile,cantilever and body are however quite different.

It is certainly a keeper in my book and a nice cartridge to have as a back up in the armoury.:)

Bigman80
15-01-2018, 07:49
Looks good on that arm and matches your platter!:)

I return to this cartridge often as it has a lot of great qualities and is certainly one you can sit back and enjoy. It lets you concentrate on the music and forget about analysing the 'hifi' aspects. It has a great midrange analogue sound and handles old records particularly well because of its spectacular lack of surface noise. This is the best I have experienced in that regard. Tracking ability is also second to none.

For absolute detail and extracting the very last drop of information it is lacking but there again I don't think that this is what the Denon 301mk2 is about. It is really an easy listening, very good value for money MC cartridge which lets you simply sit back and enjoy the music. I would be interested to know how it compares with a 103 as it shares the same engine. Stylus profile,cantilever and body are however quite different.

It is certainly a keeper in my book and a nice cartridge to have as a back up in the armoury.:)Well, Jimbo, that saves me writing what I think as it's like you've read my mind!

Id also point out that it's sound has the right amount of "body" not thin, not warm but very believable. I like it.

Jimbo
15-01-2018, 08:31
Well, Jimbo, that saves me writing what I think as it's like you've read my mind!

Id also point out that it's sound has the right amount of "body" not thin, not warm but very believable. I like it.

:cool::lol:

karma67
15-01-2018, 17:02
its like my 103sa,i just play records and in enjoy them,yes i know it hasn't got the detail of say a cadenza black but theres something about the sound it produces that leaves me content and no desire to fiddle,something the big buck cartridges ive tried of late coudn't do.

Bigman80
15-01-2018, 18:06
its like my 103sa,i just play records and in enjoy them,yes i know it hasn't got the detail of say a cadenza black but theres something about the sound it produces that leaves me content and no desire to fiddle,something the big buck cartridges ive tried of late coudn't do.There's a problem I find when spending so much money on a cartridge. I find myself over analysing everything it does instead of listening to the song. The 301 is a really enjoyable cart and for £225 new (from Japan) it's a real bargain. Luckily, the Kontrapunt B is just about perfect to me (just a tad light in the mids but not a deal breaker) so no longer on the hunt although a nicely priced AT-ART7/9 May make me change my mind!

Jimbo
15-01-2018, 19:07
The 301 gives you 90% of what you want at £225. To get that extra 10% can cost another £250-£750!

Just a thought.:)

Bigman80
15-01-2018, 19:53
The 301 gives you 90% of what you want at £225. To get that extra 10% can cost another £250-£750!

Just a thought.:)Ah, but that 10% can make all the difference from good to great. [emoji6]

Ive enjoyed listening to it mate but the Kontrapunkt went back on today and that 10% feels massive now.

The biggest difference between the two is space. The sound is more defined and there is more room for the musicians. The Denon is a little bit forward and the Kontrapunkt is more detailed. I prefer the tone of the Denon but the Kontrapunkt is better in more areas which now feel essential.

@£225 for a brand new one, it'll be hard to beat in that price range.

The Goldring Eroica is another but that's £400+ new and differences will have to be tested. I'll strap the Eroica on and see how it compares to the Denon.

The Kontrapunkt is different class. I'd love to hear a Cadenza Black or Jubilee after what I've heard now.

Jimbo
15-01-2018, 20:12
I agree Oli 10% can make all the difference. I thought you would find it interesting listening to the 301. It was not intended as an alternative to the Kontrapunkt which I am sure is a better cartridge.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the Eroica. Cadenza black out of my price range.

No reasonable priced new Denon DL S1 on the market so I am thinking of other options......? I am also concerned about tonearm compatibility. So it may have to be something more modern and easily available.

Bigman80
15-01-2018, 20:36
I agree Oli 10% can make all the difference. I thought you would find it interesting listening to the 301. It was not intended as an alternative to the Kontrapunkt which I am sure is a better cartridge.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the Eroica. Cadenza black out of my price range.

No reasonable priced new Denon DL S1 on the market so I am thinking of other options......? I am also concerned about tonearm compatibility. So it may have to be something more modern and easily available.Theres a used one on eBay?