PDA

View Full Version : Wanted new amp for my dali epicon 2's

Halcs
10-01-2018, 19:16
Possibly after a new amp for my dali epicon 2's and wonder what's available.

Budget is around £700 thanks. : )

hifinutt
10-01-2018, 19:45
the leema pulse is a lovely organic sounding amp that is very enjoyable . one here from well known shop frank harvey in coventry

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-III-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-Black-Pre-Owned/263134649168?hash=item3d440c1b50:g:mFgAAOSw3HJZiuW 5

Halcs
10-01-2018, 20:18
Hi Phil yip I had seen that one but wasn't sure about the looks do you think the Dali's need power as I thought I might try a tube amp but not sure with the pairing?

twotone
10-01-2018, 21:09
I'm using a Pulse SRA-160USB to run a pair of Dynaudio Audience 72s that I've just bought and they sound amazing, the amp cost me £60 SH or about £110 new delivered.

Alan Shaw, the Harbeth speaker designer, actually recommends this amp and similarly priced ones (Pioneer I think) for his speakers.

Halcs
10-01-2018, 21:30
Thanks but I am really after something higher end to replace my arcam avr 600 as I am going back to two channel. I had a bladelius thor in the past and wish I had kept it if I am honest as it had loads of power on tap.

twotone
10-01-2018, 22:08
Thanks but I am really after something higher end to replace my arcam avr 600 as I am going back to two channel. I had a bladelius thor in the past and wish I had kept it if I am honest as it had loads of power on tap.

Fair enough, I've had some decent amps (stereo amps including a Sugden A21a and P21a and a Quad 34/306 combo) and the Pulse is up there with the best of them.

BTW, the speakers are a 4ohm load and need decent power and according to a mate of mine the Pulse circuit was designed around a copy of Quad amps circuits.

alphaGT
10-01-2018, 23:15
Those Epicon 2’s are some very refined speakers, and not cheap! I suspect that they will be very revealing of what you drive them with. Choose wisely, and don’t skimp.

If it were me? I’d get a 50 watt Krell! But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alcarmichael
11-01-2018, 09:47

How much are you wanting for the AVR600?

Halcs
11-01-2018, 12:24
Hi Alex I will send you a pm regarding the arcam.

No one got a solid state amp they are looking to move on that will get the best from my Dali's thanks?

Vince
11-01-2018, 20:00
Hi, lve got a Musical Fidelity fitted with 4 AMR fuses and an after matket lead, lm wanting £800. Its in excellent condition

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Halcs
12-01-2018, 10:45
Thanks for offers/suggestions so far keep them coming..

😁

Lawrence001
12-01-2018, 11:09
Those Epicon 2’s are some very refined speakers, and not cheap! I suspect that they will be very revealing of what you drive them with. Choose wisely, and don’t skimp.

If it were me? I’d get a 50 watt Krell! But that’s just me.

I didn't know Krell did 50w I thought they were more like 500w!

Lawrence001
12-01-2018, 11:10
Hi, lve got a Musical Fidelity fitted with 4 AMR fuses and an after matket lead, lm wanting £800. Its in excellent condition

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

What model is it, more important than the model of the fuses I would have thought!

Halcs
12-01-2018, 11:16
Hi Lawrence the seller confirmed it was a musical fidelity A5 thanks. : )

5acan
12-01-2018, 14:52
well, those are above your budget but perhaps you've something to throw on top.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?53981-Etalon-monobloc-UHP

I propose them because I had the opportunity to test them by my dealer who is actually Dali dealer as well.
Following him, this is the best match for Dali Epicon as we tested them on Dali Epicon (can't remember the number but the floor standing).
He usually use some Italian valve amp for bigger Dali as he found Naim no to be the best match.

Etalon is know for his valley sound (but no tube inside ;-)

Macca
12-01-2018, 18:29

Class A so to get anymore wattage they start getting stupidly big and heavy. Krell are/were all about current delivery, so power doubles as load halves. 50W is 100W into 4 ohms and so on. They did do some more powerful amps though. Simon SQ who posts here sometime had a set of monoblocks a while back, don't recall the power output but they were the size of a car engine.

Lawrence001
12-01-2018, 18:56
Hi Lawrence the seller confirmed it was a musical fidelity A5 thanks. : )Nice amp!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Halcs
12-01-2018, 21:29
Just to add to the mix I have a mint condition arcam avr 600 black amp fully boxed with all accessories that I am willing to swap plus cash either way for a new inergrated amp thanks. ��

alphaGT
12-01-2018, 23:15

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/985krell/index.html

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180112/440203586f6790ffa05bdedac29d4124.jpg

The Krell KSA-50 can be found used at reasonable prices, it may be pushing your limit but is an awesome amp, and holds it value. It’s not the end all amp, but it does many things right! Very easy to live with.

walpurgis
12-01-2018, 23:25
The Krell KSA-50 can be found used at reasonable prices, it may be pushing your limit but is an awesome amp, and holds it value. It’s not the end all amp, but it does many things right! Very easy to live with.

Yes, they are nice. But, they are old and if it hasn't been at least checked over and serviced it could be a liability. Some will need a rebuild and that won't be cheap.

alphaGT
12-01-2018, 23:32
Yes, they are nice. But, they are old and if it hasn't been at least checked over and serviced it could be a liability. Some will need a rebuild and that won't be cheap.

You are right! A recapping can set you back, but will last another 20 years or more. And can also be said about any amp of age. When an amp gets old, it is either worth recapping, or it gets trashed. But I agree, if I were shopping for one, I’d much prefer one that has already been tended to.

Halcs
14-01-2018, 11:32
Not looking to go down the power amp route but thanks for the suggestion any other offers? : )

Halcs
21-01-2018, 09:43
Still looking thanks. : )

ianlenco
21-01-2018, 10:30
the leema pulse is a lovely organic sounding amp that is very enjoyable . one here from well known shop frank harvey in coventry

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-III-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-Black-Pre-Owned/263134649168?hash=item3d440c1b50:g:mFgAAOSw3HJZiuW 5

+1 I've got an original Pulse Mk1 which to my eyes has a better look than the III. It has a very decent MM/MC phono stage as a bonus. Works well with low impedance speakers too - mine ar 3 ohms.

Halcs
28-01-2018, 12:42
Bump still looking..
����

hifinutt
28-01-2018, 13:59

right now i am listened to a denon avr 3200w in stereo mode with a 20 year old rotel cd and it sounds pretty good in 2 ch . can you not just use the arcam in 2 channel mode ? would a separate amp at 700 quid beat it ?

Halcs
28-01-2018, 14:20
Hi Phil I think the arcam is an excellent amp for two channel and have been doing just that up until now. But the arcam needs to go as its wasted if not getting used to its full potential.I might even go down the tube route but not sure the Dali's will pair well with tubes?
I am quite surprised that there haven't been many offers and am really open to suggestions. I want something that won't be a sideways step as I need to control my box swapping addiction for the time being.
😁

hifinutt
28-01-2018, 14:30
understood , thats the tricky bit avoiding a sideways move . a nice hybrid integrated might be good , a lovely unison research unico just sold for a snip on here , double the price sadly on ebay

hifinutt
28-01-2018, 14:36
big fan of rotel amps which seem to be good vfm and sound good . heard the 1572 recently and it was very good . i see a mint 1570 here near your budget . well worth considering

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotel-RA1570-Silver-Customer-Trade-In-Near-Mint-Condition-N1068/263021019988?hash=item3d3d464354:g:ylAAAOSwWxNYwEp q

actually buy it before i do !! its only nearly new

Halcs
28-01-2018, 14:48
Phil the unison was mine I sold it to Alan and was ready to buy it back lol until it sold!!!! : ' (

Halcs
28-01-2018, 14:49
There's a canor 106vr on ebay for £800 that looks interesting and also there is a primaluna prologue 2 in Glasgow that I am considering.

Halcs
29-01-2018, 18:05
Bump.. ����

hifinutt
29-01-2018, 21:52
+1 I've got an original Pulse Mk1 which to my eyes has a better look than the III. It has a very decent MM/MC phono stage as a bonus. Works well with low impedance speakers too - mine ar 3 ohms.

may i say that this would be superb . i have had one and its got a lovely organic sound

hifinutt
29-01-2018, 21:53
Phil the unison was mine I sold it to Alan and was ready to buy it back lol until it sold!!!! : ' (

ha ... what a shame , alan has amazing stuff

Halcs
02-02-2018, 21:00
Final bump before I go for a primaluna prologue 2 tomorrow any more offers??
����

alphaGT
02-02-2018, 21:48
Final bump before I go for a primaluna prologue 2 tomorrow any more offers??
����

The Primaluna is nice! I’d go for it.

Russell

Halcs
02-02-2018, 22:32
Thanks Russell I think I will - my first venture into a full on tube amplifier..
Do you think it will drive the epicon's OK in a 16 by 16 foot room.

alphaGT
03-02-2018, 07:33
Thanks Russell I think I will - my first venture into a full on tube amplifier..
Do you think it will drive the epicon's OK in a 16 by 16 foot room.

Yes I think you will! Coincidentally my room is the same size. I’m sure you’ve heard everyone say, “tube watts are bigger than SS watts”, and it’s true.
Historically tube amps had low outputs, and required special speakers with high sensitivity, a whole different animal from solid state. But these newer amps like from Primaluna are more robust, they are not so dependent on ultra sensitive speakers. It should be a good match for your speakers, I think you’ll get plenty of slam out of it!

Of course we wait to hear what you find out!

Russell

Macca
03-02-2018, 08:44
Yes I think you will! Coincidentally my room is the same size. I’m sure you’ve heard everyone say, “tube watts are bigger than SS watts”, and it’s true.

Only because you can push them into clipping without them sounding like a bag of nails. (Unless they sound like a bag of nails anyway, which some do). Or because of a very low damping factor giving a bit of bass bloom.

alphaGT
03-02-2018, 14:17
Only because you can push them into clipping without them sounding like a bag of nails. (Unless they sound like a bag of nails anyway, which some do). Or because of a very low damping factor giving a bit of bass bloom.

Many argue that tube amps get their sound from colorations, and I won’t argue that. Are they the most accurate? No. Do they sound good? Yes, they very well can. But like all amp topologies, there are good and there are bad.

Russell

Halcs
03-02-2018, 17:16
All set up and sounding lush but the wife hates it. 😂😂

gonesailing
03-02-2018, 17:42
Benchmark AHB2 with Epicons. Sounds wonderful.

alphaGT
05-02-2018, 07:17
All set up and sounding lush but the wife hates it. [emoji23][emoji23]

Did she say why?

Russell

Halcs
05-02-2018, 08:45
She thinks it ugly even without cage doesn't understand the concept of tubes. I personally think it's lovely and will win the war in the end!!!! 😂😂

alphaGT
07-02-2018, 18:25
She thinks it ugly even without cage doesn't understand the concept of tubes. I personally think it's lovely and will win the war in the end!!!! [emoji23][emoji23]

Perhaps once she has experienced the magic herself she will become more tolerant of the looks? An evening of romantic tunes, good wine, in front of the warmth and glow of tubes, may bring her around?

Russell

Anoep
08-02-2018, 19:50
Hi, interested in the AVR, check mail.

ElTee
08-02-2019, 07:36
I know that this post is really old but I just got a pair of DALI Epicon 2 speakers and came across this thread so while I know I am extremely tardy I would like to add my thoughts and experiences in case you might find them of interest.

I am driving my Epicon 2's with a pair of Raymond Lumley Megavox Signature monoblock amps that are now 25 years old. I agree totally with the others who stated that tubes with the Epicon 2 speakers are a delight (to paraphrase). I have never really heard a bad DALI speaker and preferred the Epicon 2 over a pair of Dynaudio Contour 20 speakers that were offered to me at a very reduced price (and the Contours were new). I like the older Dynaudio speakers but the newer models seem to have lost some of the "magic" and musicality of the older Dynaudio models. Anyway, the Epicon 2's I have love the 150 wpc of tube power they are getting from the Lumleys. I think the DALIs are a little current hungry so I would have recommended to you an amp (amps) with some serious current delivery and actually watts over 75.per channel as well. I also would have recommended tubes. Yes, tubes can be colored but as my wife and I attended the symphony at least six times a year, we always leave commenting that tubes seem (to us) to present music in a more natural way when we think of the symphony we had heard that night as compared to the same music played on the home system. I have had some excellent solid state amps but no matter how good, they miss that last bit of "realism". Anyway, I am happy that you got a good amp to partner with the Epicons. As one other member stated, the DALIs are pretty revealing, and they need a great amp to get them to sound their best. Garbage in and garbage out and all of that...
Thank you for letting me ramble.

Halcs
08-02-2019, 16:11
Hi mate enjoyed reading your post but have now moved on and am actually currently selling a yamaha as-1100 on the threads (cracking amp) but I have kept the dali's and have gone back to 5.1 channel for the time being.

Thanks Craig