PDA

View Full Version : Marantz 1060 - hum

philv
05-01-2018, 14:22
Just received a marantz 1060.
30 wpc.
Early 70s.

It sounds glorious.

However, i can hear s slight hum from the unit when i have the volume at 0.
Not from the speakers, but from the unit itself.

By hum...it is hard to describe tne noise.
Not really a hum, just a medium pitched noise if that makes sense?
Actually, only audible within a meter.

Normal?

It is supposed to have been serviced and checked over recently.

One other thing that surprised me, was after a couple of days in tne post, with the power off, i could hear static or whatever through the speakers when connecting speaker cables.
With everything off. Gave me a start.

philv
05-01-2018, 14:29
One other thing to note is that the amp is capacitor coupled, whatever that mrans, and if that has anybbaring on the matter.

Lerxst
05-01-2018, 14:36
The hum may just be a transformer buzzing a bit against the casing or whatever. My Cambridge Audio amp has an almost inaudible hum from the unit and CA said it was no problem.

The static sounds a bit stranger though - capacitors can keep some charge for some time after turning the unit off. Can you reproduce it?

Maybe an earthing issue?

Lerxst
05-01-2018, 14:41
http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/Marantz/Marantz%201060%20Service.pdf

?

Ask the guys who serviced it I would say.

philv
05-01-2018, 14:43
Actually it’s a faint mecium pitched whine.

The static when conne ting speakers - everything was off.
What’s the best way to avoid in future? Turn off those speakers with the speaker select button?

The hum may just be a transformer buzzing a bit against the casing or whatever. My Cambridge Audio amp has an almost inaudible hum from the unit and CA said it was no problem.

The static sounds a bit stranger though - capacitors can keep some charge for some time after turning the unit off. Can you reproduce it?

Maybe an earthing issue?

philv
05-01-2018, 14:46
I suppose i could compare it to the recapped 1030 i have coming next week.

I think i might be a bit alarmist.

Firebottle
05-01-2018, 15:49
i could hear static or whatever through the speakers when connecting speaker cables.

I would imagine that it was just a little charge still left in the output capacitors, nothing to worry about.