PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon t-5000 manual

Wakefield Turntables
04-01-2018, 21:05
Has anyone got a link or list of specs for this Step up transformer. I'm finding it difficult to find anything.

Thanks

A

Bigman80
04-01-2018, 21:19
Me too. [emoji6]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Jazid
04-01-2018, 21:33
Why not ask Ortofon? They made it after all...
Lots of noughts in the name, must be exciting, is there one for sale perchance?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bigman80
04-01-2018, 21:34
Lol, yes. On the Bay,. Lowish start price. Won't last long now [emoji23]

walpurgis
04-01-2018, 21:42
See if you can pick the bones out of this.

http://i68.tinypic.com/28qvhib.png

walpurgis
04-01-2018, 21:44
Why not ask Ortofon? They made it after all...

No they didn't. It comes from a Japanese factory. :)

walpurgis
04-01-2018, 23:12
Nobody's paying attention. As usual! :rolleyes:

:D

Bigman80
04-01-2018, 23:15
Nobody's paying attention. As usual! :rolleyes:

:DLol. I am!!! Or am I missing something?

Jazid
04-01-2018, 23:21
Lol. I am!!! Or am I missing something?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using TapatalkAlong with me at least, yes. Not a clue. If it has Ortofon on the label they should support it, especially at the price point it retailed at.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
04-01-2018, 23:23
Post 5. Full T-5000 spec.

Bigman80
04-01-2018, 23:28
Post 5. Full T-5000 spec.Oh, I thought you'd seen what factory made it [emoji23][emoji23]

walpurgis
04-01-2018, 23:36
Oh, I thought you'd seen what factory made it

Nope. Does it matter? That info will be hard to find. I'm damn good at digging through the 'net and I can't see anything, I looked.

Bigman80
04-01-2018, 23:38
Damn. Looks like a bidding war then.

walpurgis
04-01-2018, 23:47
Not necessarily. You could always look for a Luxman AD8000/8020! :D

Bigman80
04-01-2018, 23:55
Not necessarily. You could always look for a Luxman AD8000/8020! :DLol, as if one of those will be knocking about.

walpurgis
05-01-2018, 00:03
Ali might part with the one I sold him a year or two back. :)

Bigman80
05-01-2018, 00:27
Ali might part with the one I sold him a year or two back. :)If he did, that would be lovely of him. A discount too, you say!? Extraordinary.

Ali?

[emoji23]

RothwellAudio
05-01-2018, 16:33
The graph in post #5 is a nice illustration of how the cartridge's source impedance affects the performance. You can see quite clearly the 6 ohm trace is significantly down at 10Hz compared to the 2 ohm trace. A higher source impedance again would be still further down. It just illustrates that as a general rule the lower the source impedance the better the performance with a transformer.

Bigman80
05-01-2018, 16:59
The graph in post #5 is a nice illustration of how the cartridge's source impedance affects the performance. You can see quite clearly the 6 ohm trace is significantly down at 10Hz compared to the 2 ohm trace. A higher source impedance again would be still further down. It just illustrates that as a general rule the lower the source impedance the better the performance with a transformer.This is a rookie question but how do you know the impedance figure of the Cart? Is it in the specs?

Wakefield Turntables
05-01-2018, 18:18
Thanks for the input so far.

RothwellAudio
06-01-2018, 22:12
This is a rookie question but how do you know the impedance figure of the Cart? Is it in the specs?
I'm not quite sure I understand the question. If you're talking about the impedance figures relating to the graph in post #5 they're marked on the graph. If you're talking about the source impedance of cartridges in general, it's on the spec sheet (usually). It could be referred to as the source impedance, the internal impedance, the output impedance, or simply as the impedance. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the load impedance of the phonostage should be the same figure as the source impedance in order to "match the cartridge to the load". A load impedance of about ten times the source impedance is a good rule of thumb, though there's a lot of tolerance on that figure. Lots of people seem to believe that there's a magic load impedance figure for any given cartridge at which the tonal balance is optimised and the cartridge sounds right. Personally, I believe that not to be the case, though I'm sure plenty will disagree with me over that. In my defence I'll point out that companies like Ortofon usually state the recommended load impedance for their cartridges to be "greater than X ohms", which obviously only sets a lower limit to the acceptable impedance range.

Bigman80
06-01-2018, 22:54
I'm not quite sure I understand the question. If you're talking about the impedance figures relating to the graph in post #5 they're marked on the graph. If you're talking about the source impedance of cartridges in general, it's on the spec sheet (usually). It could be referred to as the source impedance, the internal impedance, the output impedance, or simply as the impedance. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the load impedance of the phonostage should be the same figure as the source impedance in order to "match the cartridge to the load". A load impedance of about ten times the source impedance is a good rule of thumb, though there's a lot of tolerance on that figure. Lots of people seem to believe that there's a magic load impedance figure for any given cartridge at which the tonal balance is optimised and the cartridge sounds right. Personally, I believe that not to be the case, though I'm sure plenty will disagree with me over that. In my defence I'll point out that companies like Ortofon usually state the recommended load impedance for their cartridges to be "greater than X ohms", which obviously only sets a lower limit to the acceptable impedance range.Got ya!