PDA

View Full Version : Elma selector switches? Poles, ways, what do I need?

HighFidelityGuy
26-02-2010, 17:23
Hi,

I keep hearing that Elma selector switches are awesome and I'm currently looking for a selector switch for a project I'm working on, so I guess I should get an Elma. The bit can never figure out is all this talk of poles and ways, it makes my head hurt.

So I'm hoping someone with experience in these matters can help me out.

I need to switch between 3 inputs and I want the switch to individually switch the L, R and ground signals as I hear that's best. So does that mean I need a 3 pole, 3 way selector switch? :scratch:

Cheers. :)

technobear
26-02-2010, 18:21
3 inputs will require a 3-way switch.

Poles refers to the number of contact sets per way.

If the earth is common to left and right then you will need a 3-pole switch.

If you want to switch left and right earths separately then you would need a 4-pole switch.

Ammonite Audio
26-02-2010, 20:19
.......If you want to switch left and right earths separately then you would need a 4-pole switch.

Which is exactly what I used in a passive control unit once to good effect. Lots of wires, but not difficult to hook up with patience. The Elma switches have undoubted physical quality, are nice and chunky; and operate with a heavy but precise action.

Marco
26-02-2010, 20:41

If you want to switch left and right earths separately then you would need a 4-pole switch.

Hi Chris,

What type of switches are normally used in Croft preamps? I know you've got a Syntegra. I've no idea whether I need a 3 or 4-pole switch or what is meant by:

"If the earth is common to left and right then you will need a 3-pole switch. If you want to switch left and right earths separately..."

...or how I would find out :scratch:

*But* I would like to buy a top-notch Elma switch from Hi-fi Collective - but which one?

My current selector switch is '4-way', in terms of the options being: Phono, L1, L2 and L3.

Any advice appreciated! :cool:

Marco.

Ali Tait
26-02-2010, 20:42
Get one here-

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/potentiometers.html

4-pole switch most of the way down the page.Pricey though!

Ali Tait
26-02-2010, 20:47
Marco-sorry dunno.Ask Glen?

Marco
26-02-2010, 21:00
Will do, Ali, but this looks like the boy (in the 4-way option):

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/images/elma_4pole_6wayl.gif

Do such things really make a difference to sound quality? I got a massive upgrade by changing the Alps Black for the Seiden stepped attenuator volume pot, so would upgrading the selector switch likely give the same improvements? :)

Marco.

HighFidelityGuy
26-02-2010, 21:15

Excellent, thanks Chris!

The L and R earths are both shared on the preamp I need this for so 3 pole would be fine but there don't seem to be many of those around and the Elma 4 pole switches are a bit more than I wanted to pay.

How do Seiden switches compare to Emlas when it comes to quality as they seem quite a bit cheaper?

Cheers. :)

technobear
27-02-2010, 17:50
I only used a 4-way 2-pole Elma in my Syntegra.

The input socket earths are all connected to the chassis anyway so there is no point in switching them. This is quite common but not universal.

You can still use shielded cable. Just connect the shield at the input socket end only.

Glenn used a 4-pole switch in the syntegra because he was also switching blue LEDs which acted as input indicators. I decided to dispense with the LEDs so I only needed 2 poles - signal left and signal right.

Most rotary switches have an adjustable end-stop so you can convert a 4-way switch to have only 3-ways and so on.

Ali Tait
27-02-2010, 18:06
Will do, Ali, but this looks like the boy (in the 4-way option):

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/images/elma_4pole_6wayl.gif

Do such things really make a difference to sound quality? I got a massive upgrade by changing the Alps Black for the Seiden stepped attenuator volume pot, so would upgrading the selector switch likely give the same improvements? :)

Marco.

Well the signal goes through it the same as the attenuator,so I'd guess it would have the same effect.

Rare Bird
27-02-2010, 18:22
Elma are the best but are very expensive now.

Rare Bird
27-02-2010, 18:29
I got my Elma for the ferrograph amp from here:

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/potentiometers.html

chris@panteg
28-02-2010, 11:26
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/chrispanteg30/DSCF0155.jpg

I had elma's in my old pre , the input on the left and a 3 way to the right of the excellent Panasonic pot , the 3 way was for the High and low gain input ' that was a bit quirky about the Concordant.

The Elma's had a beautiful smooth action ' superb quality .