PDA

View Full Version : Audio Desk Pro RCM

Lee Henley
01-01-2018, 17:11
Happy New Year all

Was looking for a bit of a favour, does anyone in the West Midlands use one of these machines to clean vinyl? If so I was wondering if I could pop round to see the machine in action and get a couple of records cleaned, I’m contemplating one of these machines to clean my vinyl. I should point out that I already have a wet n dry RCM but was looking for a more convenient solution to cleaning records and hoping for better results at the same time.

Any help much appreciated

Lee

Smegger68
01-01-2018, 17:27
A friend of mine in Manchester has one. I'll ask him for you :)

He's also a fellow Spacedeck owner :D

Lee Henley
01-01-2018, 17:36
A friend of mine in Manchester has one. I'll ask him for you :)

He's also a fellow Spacedeck owner :D

Cheers mate. How’s the Kuzma on the spacedeck, I keep meaning to try one

montesquieu
01-01-2018, 17:42
Bear in mind they haven't been the most reliable ...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-desk-systeme-record-cleaning-machine-problems.327616/

and even recently:
https://www.dagogo.com/audiodesk-pro-ultrasonic-vinyl-cleaner-review/

You don't say which wet RCM you have but having owned a Moth the Loricraft is streets ahead.

Smegger68
01-01-2018, 17:43
Cheers mate. How’s the Kuzma on the spacedeck, I keep meaning to try one

It works really well with the Decca. I had it on my STD 305M / Hadcock GH228 combination so I knew the damped unipivot worked well for the cartridge. The Kuzma arm was a natural progression from there :)

Audio Al
01-01-2018, 17:44
Proceed with caution with these , lots of problems , and aparently they are not servicable as they are glued together very well so the fluid cant escape , this is from Steeve Hoffmans web site
I am envious of those members who have had good experiences with the Audio Desk RCM. Here is my story:

Issue #1
I purchased it from "The Cable Company" in PA about a year ago. My unit was DOA. The red button to activate the cleaning cycle was inoperable. I requested a replacement model to be shipped since they had my credit card info, and I'd send back the defective unit. I was told no replacement could be sent, and that I had to return the unit for service. OK...I sent it back. They replaced the switch.

Issue #2
Every record I cleaned required manual wiping to remove numerous water drops. I tried everything I could think of, I even took the fan covers off to see if that would allow more air volume. No dice. I once again requested a replacement, and again was told that I had to send it back for repair. They told me that they had fixed it, and it worked just fine. When I received it back, they had placed some of those plastic ties, the ones you use to tie off garbage bags, behind the wipers or "lips" to increase contact. I was told that everything was operating as it should. Their remedy had no effect on the drying, I still had to wipe every record.

Issue #3
I once again complained about the non-drying of the unit and once again requested a replacement unit and was told to ship it back as they now had a factory authorized remedy. I sent it back and the fix actually seemed to work.

Issue #4
After receiving the unit back from the factory drying fix, I cleaned about 100 LPs, and then the wheels that grip the record and spin it and the brush barrels refused to let go at the end of the cycle. I once again requested a replacement. Their response: I could return it again for service or they would "allow" me a "generous" trade in value of $2000 for my LEMON unit towards a new "improved" one.

OK...I guess I was desperate because when this thing works it ROCKS, and I was tired of messing with an obviously defective machine. I ponied up another $2000 for a "new and improved" one.

It arrived yesterday and seemed to work as advertised...no water spotting and records clean as you can imagine.

Issue #5
Today, after cleaning about 20 LPs, the records wouldn't rotate. I found that the rubber wheel that grips the LP and at the same time drives the cleaning brushes was spinning on its shaft.

So here I am with $6000 invested in a $4000 machine that still does not work. Of course, I am expecting to have to send it back for “repairs.” You've got to know FedEx is loving every minute of this.

BUYER BEWARE!

Google this machine and see :( , I was after one , ended up with a Loricraft PMC3 :eyebrows:

Smegger68
01-01-2018, 17:52
And yet I know my mate has had no problems with his. I think the early models were a little problem prone but recent production should be trouble free.

Lee Henley
01-01-2018, 17:56
Bear in mind they haven't been the most reliable ...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-desk-systeme-record-cleaning-machine-problems.327616/

and even recently:
https://www.dagogo.com/audiodesk-pro-ultrasonic-vinyl-cleaner-review/

You don't say which wet RCM you have but having owned a Moth the Loricraft is streets ahead.

My RCM is a DIY job which does an admirable job with no complaints, I was looking more for the convenience to be fair.

There’s a new one coming out this year called Degritter which looks very nice on the eye as well, I’ve been in touch with them and they are hoping for a May 2018 release. I’ve pretty much made my mind up that at some point I’ll be getting a cavitation based cleaning machine just need to get the right one. I’m aware of the issues with the Audiodesk as I did a bit of research and to a degree has stopped me from buying one

Lee Henley
01-01-2018, 17:57
The Degritter web site, theyers also some YouTube video available

http://degritter.com

Lee

montesquieu
01-01-2018, 18:00
The Degritter web site, theyers also some YouTube video available

http://degritter.com

Lee

Interesting - and UK as well. Could well be interested at the right price.

I think part of Audiodesk's problem is that they are German and therefore pretty much by definition tone deaf when it comes to customer service - and very likely over-arrogant about their engineering prowess as well.

Smegger68
01-01-2018, 18:01
Just heard back from my mate, he's been sick for about a month and is improving slowly so isn't up for visitors atm, sorry dude :/

Smegger68
01-01-2018, 18:02
That degritter looks top!

Lee Henley
01-01-2018, 18:15
Just heard back from my mate, he's been sick for about a month and is improving slowly so isn't up for visitors atm, sorry dude :/

Ok mate thanks for asking all the same

Lee Henley
01-01-2018, 18:18
They’re from Estonia mate not the U.K. unless I’ve missed something, they also have a decent Facebook site which has regular updates. When I last spoke to them the RRP was going to be in the region of €1800

Interesting - and UK as well. Could well be interested at the right price.

I think part of Audiodesk's problem is that they are German and therefore pretty much by definition tone deaf when it comes to customer service - and very likely over-arrogant about their engineering prowess as well.

alphaGT
01-01-2018, 18:55
The Degritter is a nice looking unit! I do believe they are trying to address the issues found with the Audiodesk. The first clue is the name, cleaner and dryer. I recall a review I saw from Mr. Freemer on the Audiodesk, and he had to rack dry his records after cleaning. Plus there are a lot of consumables involved in the Audiodesk, rollers, brushes and filters that must be replaced to keep it working. I don’t know what the Degritter requires in consumables so that’s not really a comparison. But the Degritter certainly wins on the looks and compact size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smangus
02-01-2018, 11:48
The degritter looks like my toaster, wonder if it warms bagels? :scratch:

montesquieu
02-01-2018, 12:05
The degritter looks like my toaster, wonder if it warms bagels? :scratch:

I'm currently attempting to negotiate a slot on their beta test programme.

The only issue is the noise when drying but in principle I think this has potential to be a useful addition alongside the Loricraft. Definitely a nod to Italian design though from the logo through to the shape of the appliance.

WESTLOWER
02-01-2018, 12:34

The only issue is the noise when drying but in principle I think this has potential to be a useful addition alongside the Loricraft. Definitely a nod to Italian design though from the logo through to the shape of the appliance.

Indeed, this is interesting!...

Lee Henley
02-01-2018, 13:16
Yes the Degritter does look like it may be the best option for me going forwards, I think I will hit the idea on the head for the Audio desk product due to the numerous issues they have been experiencing and the cost of the consumables

Lee Henley
02-01-2018, 13:17

Are their still places available on the programme? I was under the impression that all slots had been fulfilled

Audio Al
02-01-2018, 13:55
You could always try one of these as a starting point , you van also buy a drive motor assembly

LOTs cheaper
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15L-Industrial-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Ultrasonic-Cleaning-Machine-Heater-Stainless/202053512886?epid=2240269198&hash=item2f0b53eeb6:g:kDoAAOSwoAxZt7BC

hifi_dave
02-01-2018, 16:57
Just heard from Degritter that the retail price will be 2500 Euro and that might also be subject to VAT.

WESTLOWER
02-01-2018, 17:01
Just heard from Degritter that the retail price will be 2500 Euro and that might also be subject to VAT.

Sounds like that's me out then!

hifi_dave
02-01-2018, 17:09
And me. Doubt it will be more effective than a Moth and I can buy 5 of them for that price.

montesquieu
02-01-2018, 17:22
And me. Doubt it will be more effective than a Moth and I can buy 5 of them for that price.

The Loricraft is 5 times better than a Moth in my opinion (having had a Moth previously). I like the idea of having the ultrasonic option though as different kinds of cleaning may be appropriate for some really difficult cases.

Lee Henley
02-01-2018, 18:36
If the Degritter is effective then I wouldn’t mind paying the price they are now quoting as I like the convenience that’s the machine adds.

Ive seen the Loricraft in action and do feel it would offer an excellent cleaning service but still lacks the convenience I’m looking for. The only other RCM that would tick the right boxes is the Clearaudio machine but I believe that’s over £3.5k nowadays.

alphaGT
12-01-2018, 02:15
As RCM’s go, that Loricraft is a fine looking machine! But I’ve had a few and I am in love with my Project VS-C. But neither are ultrasonic designs, which is what we are talking about. I have seen high end record shops that own Audiodesk machines and charge a few bucks per record to clean them for you! I wish I knew of one right off hand, but I know they are out there. You could clean a lot of Records before you spend enough to buy the machine. Or, own an RCM and only send the very worst out to be cleaned by one of these Audiodesk owners? I feel it is a very promising principle, but perhaps it isn’t fully realized just yet? And perhaps the question is, how much is my collection worth? As to whether or not the machine is worth the price to own? I wouldn’t want to spend $2K for a machine to clean $3K worth of Records, just buy new Records! But if you have an extensive library of albums with many irreplaceable selections, it may be worth every penny. And while the Degritter appears to be a thousand bucks more than the Audiodesk, it may not take long to spend the difference in consumables, or trying to keep the Audiodesk working? As far as the Degritter is concerned, personally, I would wait for it to hit the market, and wait to see how it is received, and what the cost of ownership turns out to be. The second generation is almost certainly going to be a better unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk