PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, January 2018: Emiliana Torrini - "Fisherman's Woman"

Album Club
01-01-2018, 00:07
Happy New Year everyone. The Album Club choice for January comes courtesy of Rich (stairpost) with Emiliana Torrini's 'Fisherman's Woman'.

As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you vote and/or comment.

Emiliana Torrini - Fisherman's Woman.

http://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/forumgallery/monthly_2017_12/large.5a3aab0022079_EmilianaTorrini.jpg.14ac0b431c 2b06304c2d9dcec027baed.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/7kqYf6dpsDgxm61go96hwp
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zsamskyHMlnYw4

The overwhelming appeal of this album to me is the quality and intimacy of the vocals, late at night, in the dark, the cliché of the artist being in the room has never felt so true. I can easily let myself be fooled into thinking that she is singing just for me. The lush vocals however do not come at the detriment of the music, the guitar lines are crisp and clean, nothing has been overdone, no complex multi-instrumental balancing act here, it's a shining example of less is more. That's not to say that this is a musically sparse album, there is plenty to keep you hooked, it's just done simply but effectively. Slow burning, but the fire is always flaming in the end.
In all honesty there is probably more than a little sentimental attachment to this album, it was given to me by a friend that I spent many evenings with, sharing music and wine. I have since lost contact with her but this album never fails to put her back in the room with me.
It's a superb body of work, but Nothing brings me down and Thinking out loud just shine through as favourites for me.
I hope you enjoy it, I look forward to reading your thoughts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisherman%27s_Woman

ijrussell
05-01-2018, 18:47
It was all very pleasant and twee but ultimately just not engaging or varied enough for me. Definitely a late night winding down album.

high.spirits
14-01-2018, 10:51
Tend to agree with the last comment. I got a bit bored listening to it.

Guitar and vocals good but just lacked a bit of something. 6/10 sorry.

Tim
14-01-2018, 11:04
I've got this, but I'll give it a proper listen before voting as I've not played it for sometime.

jollyfix
14-01-2018, 12:34
I have this too. I bought it for the Sunny road track. I like that track, but was disappointed with the rest of the Album. Her voice after several tracks started to annoy me.

mightymonoped
14-01-2018, 15:47
Came to this album on it’s release and must admit was quite shocked by it’s contrast in comparison to “Love in The Time of Science”. I have found it to be a real grower and a regular favourite for intimate, calming listening. I would say give this album a chance, it’s a beautiful contained little piece of work that defined her as an artist in her own right, without depending on the big production techniques of the earlier and later albums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ovlov854
31-01-2018, 17:25
Not my cuppa tea AT ALL

Barry
13-11-2018, 18:48
I liked this album, but then I'm a bit of a folkie. Was impressed by the excellent production, and whilst her voice does on occasion sound thin and feeble (Ok, let's be polite and say 'wistful'), overall I did enjoy this album very much.

So 9/10 from me.

Tim
13-11-2018, 18:52
Good nudge Barry, I never did get around to playing it (got too much music now I feel and my purchasing last year was minimal) so I'll get on this and vote tomorrow.

Was it Alex_UK here who introduced it to me, not sure?

Ashmore
16-02-2019, 12:25
I love this album. Yes there's a bit of tweeness to a few tracks, but overall I find it delightful. The title track is one of my 'go-to' tracks when trying out bit of kit - it is utterly perfect.

stairpost
16-03-2019, 10:34
Had a listen again last night, possibly for the first time since it's submission to Album club. I hope I enjoy it as much everytime I hear it. It's the perfect companion for a late night listening session, so delicate and enticing.