PDA

View Full Version : Phono stage for an LP12

scotty38
31-12-2017, 10:57
Hello,

This is pretty much a copy and paste from my intro post but thought the background was worth repeating so you know where I'm coming from.

Back in 1987 I bought a Linn LP12, Myst TMA3, Myst TMR and a pair of Linn Kans. I later added an Arcam CD player that died, I bought another that died and then I bought a Naim CD5 still have it all....

We extended our house in 2006 and I created a TV room and bought a Meridian G68/G55, PMC TB2 fronts and centre, SVS sub and some M+K surrounds. I also have a squeezebox for my ripped music.

Then we moved and didn't really have room for two systems so the Hi-Fi stuff, although it's set up in my office, rarely gets used.

So to the point, I have decided I want to get the LP12 back in use so I need a phono stage for the G68. I've done a bit of searching and on my list was a Graham Slee Communicator, then I came across the Angle Audiophile plus and the Tisbury Domino and further searching brought me here....

If anyone could offer me advice on the way to go it would be very much appreciated but I just want to get some use out of the LP12 and I'm not really looking to spend a small fortune if that helps.

Kind regards

Martin

walpurgis
31-12-2017, 11:05
It might pay to have a chat with Alan (Firebottle). He may have something to suit: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?96-Firebottle

His amps and phono stages have a bit of a following here.

sq225917
31-12-2017, 11:07
2nd hand Linto.

walpurgis
31-12-2017, 11:12
Andrew of Rothwell Audio is also a member here and markets good phono stages: http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/hi-fi.html

Firebottle
31-12-2017, 11:16
Hi Martin, what cartridge are you running, MM or MC?

Stratmangler
31-12-2017, 11:20
You didn't say which nail was hanging of the end of your tonearm.

The Slee stuff is good, and you can borrow it for trial at home - cost to you is shipping both ways.
You'd need to join up at this place https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forums.html to arrange things.

scotty38
31-12-2017, 11:44
Thanks all, it's a MM and just trawling through the Firebottle threads :)

Bigman80
31-12-2017, 11:58
OTP MK2. Can't go wrong. MK1 if the cash is tight.

I'm gonna have to have a listen to some Rothwell stuff.

Is there a loan scheme?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

struth
31-12-2017, 12:10
https://schiit.eu.com/preamps/mani .. excellent budget stage this...better than budget tbh but budget price

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PMCIYK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .. a little step up to this and about 50/60 dearer once you take import costs into it. nicely built and great sound

scotty38
31-12-2017, 12:18
Thanks for this, I had looked at the Mani too... Choices, choices :lol:

struth
31-12-2017, 12:23
Thanks for this, I had looked at the Mani too... Choices, choices :lol:

ive had both. in fact still use my emotiva. but both are top quality for the money especially on mm, although not too shabby on mc too

hifistokie123
31-12-2017, 12:48
Hi Martin

I am using a basic Croft RIAA ,simple,smooth MM only.I liked it so much I have now swapped to all Croft amplification.

Regards

Dave

hifi_dave
31-12-2017, 12:51
Good call..:)

scotty38
31-12-2017, 13:25
Price is rising....:lol:

walpurgis
31-12-2017, 13:35
Price is rising....:lol:

Not necessarily.

The new Cambridge Audio CP2 MM/MC phono stage at £150 has been receiving very positive comments. https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/hifi/phono-stages/cp2

And there's the MM only, CP1 at £120. https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/hifi/phono-stages/cp1

hifi_dave
31-12-2017, 13:35
What is your budget, then ?

scotty38
31-12-2017, 14:04
I said price is rising as I looked at the Croft and from what I could see it was £500 for the least costly version.

My budget was in the ballpark of the 3 devices I first mentioned so up to about £200. I could spend more but I just wanted to "get it up and running". I didn't really want to go cheaper than cheap and end up listening to a load of old rubbish but at the same time I have no real need to spend a fortune.

Am I in the right ballpark at that?

Also it's interesting that the stages I mentioned in my first post don't seem to have had any comment, is that just how it is or are they not regarded that strongly at this level?

Thanks for all the feedback so far, all very interesting!

struth
31-12-2017, 14:07
not tried any of the 3 you mentioned but doubt they will be better than the 2 i mentioned. you never know tho :)
at well under 200 the mani is hard to beat

Stratmangler
31-12-2017, 14:08
Also it's interesting that the stages I mentioned in my first post don't seem to have had any comment, is that just how it is or are they not regarded that strongly at this level?

Post #6?

scotty38
31-12-2017, 14:15
Apologies I did see that and should have said "much" comment.. Are you saying that would be your choice over the others I mentioned and those that have been suggested by other folk since?

Firebottle
31-12-2017, 14:26
I've sent you a PM Martin.

The unit can be loaned with no obligation.

walpurgis
31-12-2017, 14:38

It's probably that like me, nobody who has posted so far has tried those you mention.

I do rate Graham Slee phono stages though, having used the ERA Gold V and Reflex M. Both very nice when used with the PSU 1 linear power supply, but they are possibly priced rather above your budget.

Stratmangler
31-12-2017, 14:49
Apologies I did see that and should have said "much" comment.. Are you saying that would be your choice over the others I mentioned and those that have been suggested by other folk since?

My current phono stage is a GSP Reflex M, and before I got that I ran a GramAmp 2SE. The GramAmp 2SE gave me faultless service for something like 14 years, and it continues to give faultless service in a friend's system.
I've never heard anything that comprehensively wipes the floor either phono stage, and I get to hear some pretty high faluting stuff on a fairly regular basis.

Stratmangler
31-12-2017, 14:51
As Geoff has said, the other phono stages mentioned are ones I haven't heard either.

scotty38
31-12-2017, 14:53
Thanks again everyone, very much appreciated.

Alan, thank you too and replied...

wee tee cee
31-12-2017, 15:54
Martin,
PM sent.

postmanpat
31-12-2017, 20:15
I tried the Slee upto the Gold version, and are good value for money. But i ended up with a Vincent Pho-8, this is a great value stage and comes with separate PSU which is rare at this price point of £280. They do a home demo service if you require.

scotty38
31-12-2017, 21:50
That looks interesting, thank you.

postmanpat
31-12-2017, 22:37
You're best going with a home demo to make sure it fits with your system to be honest, or Amazon returns! I went through about 6 different stages before deciding. Kryi at Vincent is very helpful and will give you some good advice with no sales pressure, likewise on the Slee forum.

high.spirits
01-01-2018, 11:38
[I've been using a Music Fidelity V-LPS ll for some time and made comparisons with quite a few more expensive amps including the graham slee range. I generally could not tell the difference.

They can be picked up second hand at less than £100. A great bit of kit to get you going. As with all things hifi, matching is important, so no point going over board on expensive stuff if not matched to the cartridge etc.

scotty38
01-01-2018, 13:54
Thanks for that but, as ridiculous as it sounds, I can't consider anything that doesn't have all its connectivity at the rear. I have enough problems with cable management as it is :)

high.spirits
01-01-2018, 15:19
Thanks for that but, as ridiculous as it sounds, I can't consider anything that doesn't have all its connectivity at the rear. I have enough problems with cable management as it is :)

I can understand that given the number of boxes we have.
It is a small box 16 x 9 x 5 cms which tucks behind a unit/ rack really easily.

ovlov854
04-01-2018, 23:52

THIS
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/dynavector-p75-mk2.206820/#post-3279650
I had one of these a while back....very good and very flexible for future upgrades

ElTee
05-01-2018, 06:28
I used to have an LP12. Got tired of the maintenance so I am with a Rega RP-6 now. With both I am using (or used) an Icon Audio PS-2 if you like tubes in your phonostage.
Just a thought....

scotty38
05-01-2018, 19:11
Quick update...

Firstly many thanks to all the folk that made offers of kit and advice which were all very much appreciated!

I went to see Mark Sears at Vinyl Passion today and have agreed a couple of upgrades on my LP12 plus the purchase of a Vincent valve phono stage. I listened to it all at his place and was extremely happy with it all. I accept I haven't listened to some of the others advised on here but really pleased with my decision.

Top bloke and marvellous place!

MikeMusic
06-01-2018, 16:37
I'll add Whest !
:)

From cheaper 2nd hand, James' own refurbs as well as stratospheric priced super jobbies

postmanpat
08-01-2018, 22:59
Quick update...

Firstly many thanks to all the folk that made offers of kit and advice which were all very much appreciated!

I went to see Mark Sears at Vinyl Passion today and have agreed a couple of upgrades on my LP12 plus the purchase of a Vincent valve phono stage. I listened to it all at his place and was extremely happy with it all. I accept I haven't listened to some of the others advised on here but really pleased with my decision.

Top bloke and marvellous place!

Great choice, the Vincent stages are very good. Like i said, i tried quite a few and these came top of my list. That valve amp looks amazing also!