PDA

View Full Version : New version of the ALLO BOSS is here

The Black Adder
18-12-2017, 12:26
Hi all.

Its been a while. Just had the heads up from Andre of Allo.

A new version of the most excellent Boss DAC for the RPI will be arriving very soon.

I've not much in terms to details as yet so I'll keep you posted but apparently power can be fed either through the Boss or via the RPI, or both which makes things more interesting.

Can't wait to give a go. [emoji16]

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

The Black Adder
29-12-2017, 10:17
Hi guys.

So.. It's landed. Here are some pics

Not been well recently and so haven't had chance to try and it as yet.

A couple of first impressions of the build. The phone sockets seem to be more substantial. That is the seem more sturdy on the board.

Also, the USB power connector is a larger type so that also feels more serious.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171229/7c29ba90cb5fc3d77894ae26b2d26e72.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171229/c81ed0c2f7fad6f39aefd7aa0a6b7453.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171229/78968861730fdd119519ef9cc3c85c31.jpg

The Black Adder
31-12-2017, 11:46
After feeling much better the new BOSS is now up and running.

Very first initial impressions are very favorable.

The first thing that hits you is the space and general ambiance. From the very first play of Shpongles Codex VI, it was pretty evident that something had been improved. With the DAC still in very early burn-in stages this was very welcome and puts it on a great platform for further improvements over the next few weeks of use.

I've been running the previous BOSS with the Isolator board. This time I've gone back to basics running just the RPI and the new BOSS. I will try it with the Isolator at a later date.

Reading up on some of the hardware changes it makes sense in regards to what I'm hearing with the new Boss. I'm not going to pretend that I understand the technical changes. Whatever has been done has been done well.

Although at this very, very early stage of testing it's most certainly an improvement over the previous boss with improved realism and air.

It's going to be a tough cookie to improve over the first BOSS DAC as it's such a great sounding DAC.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171231/de725540dc313f05d1b4419b6f0c9992.jpg

LC1979
31-12-2017, 22:34
Great stuff Josie!

As a current Boss owner I can't quite justify upgrading to v1.2, but for anybody reading who might be tempted to try the Boss, this is great news.

I'm still waiting on their new 5v power supply. It didn't arrive in time for Christmas!

ALLO.com
04-01-2018, 15:02
Hi guys,
firs off, I want to wish all of you only the best for the year to come.
lots of exciting things coming out this year!

Thank you Josie for sharing your impressions so far.

We used a type C connector in the BOSS so you can power it and push full 3A that dont go through the microUSB.
Feeding your RPI and BOSS separately is just better... less noise form the RPI.
Another advantage of the 1.2 are the new NDK ultra low noise oscillators, less noise again.
New film capacitors , again less noise and finally, optimized component placement to ... you guessed it... reduce noise.

BOSS (discontinued) was a great master DAC, but the 1.2 is just more representative of its time and our increased experience in audiophile design.

also see pics of the cases!

struth
04-01-2018, 15:14
seems to be developing well as i predicted. good stuff

The Black Adder
09-01-2018, 19:50
Yup, Grant. With each update the sound just grows.

I've now reintroduced the isolator with the boss 1.2 and the sound is stonking.

I'll update my review soon.

The cases look great too.

lovejoy
06-02-2018, 13:45
Looks great and thanks for the heads up Josie. I have to admit I'm a little behind on developments here. The Piano 2.1 + KALI is still considered the top of the tree though is it not?

Simon_LDT
08-02-2018, 17:29
Does anyone have contact details for Andre? I PM'd a few days ago but don't think he checks in daily.

Sherwood
08-02-2018, 18:17
Looks great and thanks for the heads up Josie. I have to admit I'm a little behind on developments here. The Piano 2.1 + KALI is still considered the top of the tree though is it not?

I think it is as a complete player (including DAC).

The Digione is their top spdif board.

Geoff

The Black Adder
08-02-2018, 18:47
andre@allo.com

Simon_LDT
08-02-2018, 21:17
Thanks Josie.

lovejoy
11-02-2018, 20:01
I think it is as a complete player (including DAC).

The Digione is their top spdif board.

Geoff

Yes, I'm talking about the DAC boards. I'm a very happy user of a KALI + Piano 2.1 with a linear PSU which has replaced both a Naim NDAC and the DAC inside a NAD M21. When it's that good, I don't see the need for an outboard DAC. I just wondered whether the new BOSS was a step up again from the two separate boards or whether the KALI + Piano 2.1 was still considered the top of the tree when considering the integrated players.

Sherwood
11-02-2018, 20:49
Yes, I'm talking about the DAC boards. I'm a very happy user of a KALI + Piano 2.1 with a linear PSU which has replaced both a Naim NDAC and the DAC inside a NAD M21. When it's that good, I don't see the need for an outboard DAC. I just wondered whether the new BOSS was a step up again from the two separate boards or whether the KALI + Piano 2.1 was still considered the top of the tree when considering the integrated players.

Yes, I think I said as much. However, the combined Source/Dac approach is not for everyone, especially those who do not use a preamp. I have several sources (including an Allo Digione) that play into my Caiman SEG and then directly into a power amp. A Kali solution would not work for me.

Geoff

The Black Adder
11-02-2018, 21:20
Thanks Josie.Your welcome [emoji3]

lovejoy
12-02-2018, 09:47
Hi Josie,
What are your impressions of the new BOSS DAC in comparison with the Piano + Kali - IIRC you have tried this combination in the past?

The Black Adder
12-02-2018, 20:03
Hi Richard.

More accuracy, tighter bass and more dynamic. I'd also say a tad more air.

I really like it. I'm using it with the isolator board too which makes another nice step up in performance.

Its certainly worth it IMO.

I have an update which needs finishing. Recently it's really improved, opened up substantially.

Hope that helps [emoji16]

lovejoy
12-02-2018, 21:08
Yes, that helps immensely. Many thanks. I've really been enjoying the Piano + KALI again lately but the improvements you list have pushed me towards an order for the new BOSS. I'm about to pull the trigger on it but I notice that if you've got the isolator board as well, there doesn't seem to be a case that accommodates both the BOSS and the isolator as I guess that makes it a triple stack again as you have with the Piano + KALI and only just having bought a case for my Piano + KALI after all this time, I'd rather buy a case for the new setup from the outset. I'm guessing yours isn't in a case currently?

Also, are you using LIFEPO batteries for the isolator, or are you powering it some other way?

Thanks again..

Rich

ALLO.com
13-02-2018, 14:25
hey guys,
i will push to release a case for RPI + BOSS v1,2 + Isolator

The Black Adder
13-02-2018, 14:38
Yes, that helps immensely. Many thanks. I've really been enjoying the Piano + KALI again lately but the improvements you list have pushed me towards an order for the new BOSS. I'm about to pull the trigger on it but I notice that if you've got the isolator board as well, there doesn't seem to be a case that accommodates both the BOSS and the isolator as I guess that makes it a triple stack again as you have with the Piano + KALI and only just having bought a case for my Piano + KALI after all this time, I'd rather buy a case for the new setup from the outset. I'm guessing yours isn't in a case currently?

Also, are you using LIFEPO batteries for the isolator, or are you powering it some other way?

Thanks again..

Rich

Hi Rich... Cool.

I'm not using the LIFEPO batteries, I'm using a normal plug-in transformer plug. Looking to move to a Linear PSU at some point in the future as I'm sure that will hold more of a benefit.

The Black Adder
13-02-2018, 14:38
hey guys,

That would be really cool :)

lovejoy
13-02-2018, 16:25
hey guys,

That would be great. Many thanks Andre. I'll hold off on the order until I can get a case plus everything else. No rush as I still really enjoy the Piano + KALI. There's always a little bit of new tweaking to try with the settings of the Pi that seems to squeeze a bit more out of it too. I've found in the last week or so that running everything on just 2 cores seems to sound a bit better than spreading everything across all 4. I guess that might be down to the way the scheduler works, but who knows?

lovejoy
13-02-2018, 16:31
Hi Rich... Cool.

I'm not using the LIFEPO batteries, I'm using a normal plug-in transformer plug. Looking to move to a Linear PSU at some point in the future as I'm sure that will hold more of a benefit.

I have been running the Piano + KALI with a linear PSU. Nothing fancy like the Longdog etc. Just one of these with a toroidal transformer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121828014441?ViewItem=&item=121828014441, but it works extremely well and an improvement on the iFi supply I tried (although that in itself was a good step up from a typical Pi supply). I have to admit that the isolator plus LIFEPO batteries has tweaked my geeky interest and I have a few of those batteries around so could put those to work with the linear supply which might work nicely.

Lanky
17-02-2018, 23:46
It's good to read such good reviews of the new Allo Boss, though tantalising as my experience is sadly very different. As a first dip of my toe in the streaming waters I received the latest v1.2 Boss player bundle last week, (RPI3 +Boss+case+5v power supply+SD card including OS and Volumio option) ordered via the Plug and Play link on Allo's website. But Plug and Play it isn't. I can't get it to show up on my network, all it does is sit there showing a red and a green LED. I wonder if perhaps the SD card hasn't been flashed with the right software? I'm totally ignorant on these matters, which is why I went for the supposed security of a Plug and Play device.
Allo don't seem to make technical help easy to find, but I've emailed them from their home page so I hope a reply will be forthcoming. Maybe this André guy mentioned earlier is the key to Allo knowledge?

The Black Adder
18-02-2018, 08:04
Hi.

Yes, andre is the guy to ask.

These things can be fiddly sometimes with the RPI

Just one question. Are you powering the DAC only? With the 1.2 you don't power the RPI as well as the DAC. The DAC feeds the RPI.

Yatsushiro
18-02-2018, 10:03
With the 1.2 you can power the Boss or the RPi, or both if a jumper is removed.

jonners
18-02-2018, 10:29
@Lanky

If your RPi doesn't show up on your router's table of connected devices, then there could be a SD card problem. But if you are connecting via Wifi try a wired ethernet connection first.
It's also possible that your Pi is booting up in AP (Access Point) mode. If so, 'Volumio' will appear in your list of available networks and you will need to connect to it.

Simon_LDT
18-02-2018, 11:24
How are you connecting it to the network? It can be hard to find the device when using wireless (mine usually shows up as 'unknown' along with other devices in the home which are also using wifi) so usually it's best to use a wired connection at first, directly into the router. That way it should show up easier (mine usually shows up as 'volumio' automatically when using a cabled connection) and then it will show you the IP address which you can then type into the address bar to get the user interface up.

Then should be able to go into network settings and it should show you the connection details of wireless and wired, showing the IP address of both. I go into LAN settings on the router and reserve the wireless IP address so that no other device can use it and Volumio will always connect to that address. You can give it your own IP address too, just make sure you change the address in the Volumio network settings too.

Lanky
19-02-2018, 12:29
Firstly, thank you for the replies.
I confess I find the power supply arrangements confusing. The Boss was supplied with the jumper in place. If I feed power to the Boss USB Type C connector it illuminates a green LED on the Boss and a red LED on the Pi, from which I conclude there is power to both boards. If I remove the jumper only one of the LEDs illuminates, depending on whether I feed power to the Boss or the Pi.
I connected to my router via Ethernet cable, having read that the Pi's wi-fi performance can be poor without a dongle. The LEDs on the Pi's Ethernet socket did not illuminate.
Excuse my ignorance, but I didn't understand the statement "It's also possible that your Pi is booting up in AP (Access Point) mode. If so, 'Volumio' will appear in your list of available networks and you will need to connect to it." I can't see any additional device, wired or otherwise, on my router setup page. Likewise no reference to Volumio.
I tried removing the SD card to check it on my desktop, and Windows Explorer says it is empty. I assume the files Allo should have loaded won't necessarily be readable in Windows, but shouldn't something show up? My feeling at the moment is the most likely explanation is that Allo sent me a blank card! If this is the case, how would I go about getting them to send me what was promised?

Simon_LDT
19-02-2018, 13:26
The files won't show up in windows as Volumio is linux based.

Sherwood
19-02-2018, 13:54
The files won't show up in windows as Volumio is linux based.

You should still see the files even if they are configured for the Pi. No point in sending the sd car back to Allo. Much simpler to follow the instructions to format the sd card and install Volumio. a bit of a pain I agree if the card was meant to be formatted with Volumio.

Geoff

Shovel_Knight
19-02-2018, 14:08
Firstly, thank you for the replies.
I confess I find the power supply arrangements confusing. The Boss was supplied with the jumper in place. If I feed power to the Boss USB Type C connector it illuminates a green LED on the Boss and a red LED on the Pi, from which I conclude there is power to both boards. If I remove the jumper only one of the LEDs illuminates, depending on whether I feed power to the Boss or the Pi.

This is exactly how it should be. If you remove the jumper, you should power the DAC and the Pi separately.

What power supply are you using, by the way?

I connected to my router via Ethernet cable, having read that the Pi's wi-fi performance can be poor without a dongle. The LEDs on the Pi's Ethernet socket did not illuminate.
Excuse my ignorance, but I didn't understand the statement "It's also possible that your Pi is booting up in AP (Access Point) mode. If so, 'Volumio' will appear in your list of available networks and you will need to connect to it." I can't see any additional device, wired or otherwise, on my router setup page. Likewise no reference to Volumio.
I tried removing the SD card to check it on my desktop, and Windows Explorer says it is empty. I assume the files Allo should have loaded won't necessarily be readable in Windows, but shouldn't something show up? My feeling at the moment is the most likely explanation is that Allo sent me a blank card! If this is the case, how would I go about getting them to send me what was promised?

Download the latest Volumio image from volumio.org and flash it to the SD card using Etcher (etcher.io).

If the problem persists, connect the Pi to a display to see what’s going on.

jonners
19-02-2018, 20:13
@Lanky

If you're using wired ethernet you don't need to worry about AP mode. Just follow the advice in the previous posts and put a Volumio image on your sd card. Instructions are on the Volumio site.

Lanky
19-02-2018, 22:14
I did wonder. Shame, looks like it might not be so simple as I thought.
I had a reply from Ioan at Allo asking me for more information, so lets hope he can come up with an idea.

jonners
19-02-2018, 23:31
I did wonder. Shame, looks like it might not be so simple as I thought.

I think that it is, simply, most likely that you have a blank sdcard.
At some time in the future you may need to burn a Volumio image onto an sd card, because even if Allo provides a ready-made one it may not last for ever.
So why not learn how to do it now? It's not difficult, and you have nothing to lose.

Shovel_Knight
19-02-2018, 23:34
Really, when using Etcher, it's as simple as downloading the file, dragging it into the Etcher window and clicking two buttons.

But Raspberry Pi-based streamers, even if they're sold as a complete solution, will never be as simple and bullet-proof in operation as a finished one-box product from a well-known company. I know that if I wasn't a long time Unix user, I wouldn't touch one.

ALLO.com
20-02-2018, 14:37
Lanky,

sorry, but it seems like you need to format and reflash your SD card.
BOSS players is one of our flagship products and we test each one going out.
SD card corruptions happens sometimes when booting and re booting continuously.
not as relaible as eMMC.. but even when it happens, as the good folk here said, its easy to reflash.

its a good experience to gain , especially if you want to upgrade or change OS in the future.

you have access to all the manuals and instructions on how to reflash on our website:
https://www.allo.com/sparky/images-references.html

this link is available in the Support tab of the BOSS player page.

please do let me know if you have any other questions.

regards.
Andre

Lanky
20-02-2018, 22:28
Andre, I've responded to your PM separately, but for the good folk on here, the problem was a blank or corrupted SD card. As promised, the process of flashing Volumio onto the card was easy (well, the second time it was; after I'd formatted the card!).
So it's now working! I haven't had time to test it thoroughly, but first impressions are that music sounds a little lacking in dynamics. That was a FLAC from a USB stick plugged in to my router just as a test. Maybe the Boss needs to burn in for a period?
The only real hitch came when I selected Power Off in Volumio and it never completed. Is this the normal way to switch off? All I could do was unplug the power supply to the Boss.

jonners
20-02-2018, 23:05
Glad it's working out OK Rob. Yes, the usual way to power off is the way you tried. Just unplugging carries a slight risk of corrupting the sd card, but of course if the official method doesn't work you have no choice.
Have you tried playing music with the USB stick in the Pi rather than the router, just to compare?
Burn in may help. I've not seen any reports of the Boss being short on dynamics.

ALLO.com
21-02-2018, 09:00
Andre, I've responded to your PM separately, but for the good folk on here, the problem was a blank or corrupted SD card. As promised, the process of flashing Volumio onto the card was easy (well, the second time it was; after I'd formatted the card!).
So it's now working! I haven't had time to test it thoroughly, but first impressions are that music sounds a little lacking in dynamics. That was a FLAC from a USB stick plugged in to my router just as a test. Maybe the Boss needs to burn in for a period?
The only real hitch came when I selected Power Off in Volumio and it never completed. Is this the normal way to switch off? All I could do was unplug the power supply to the Boss.

hi there.
what are you comparing the BOSS to?
BOSS is all about dynamics and burning it in will open up even more!
looking forward to your follow up comments in a few days.

you can shut down from Volumio and then unplug, leave it running... like I do.

cheers

ALLO.com
21-02-2018, 09:01
That would be really cool :)

hey guys...
https://allo.com/sparky/acrylic-case-rpi-boss-isolator.html

pics will come soon.

let me know who needs them i will arrange.
regards,
Andre

Simon_LDT
21-02-2018, 11:17
I've been shutting down Volumio since I flashed it the first time and been using it for about 2 years now. Never had a corrupt SD card. When going into the shutdown > Power off mode, the loading circular icon comes up and very rarely stops until the page times out. What happens for me is that my external drive turns itself off after about 30 secs and then a few seconds later the green LED on the Pi flickers a few times and then turns off. Once that goes off, it's safe to turn off as it's not reading/processing anything anymore.

Lanky
21-02-2018, 12:20
hi there.
what are you comparing the BOSS to?
BOSS is all about dynamics and burning it in will open up even more!
looking forward to your follow up comments in a few days.

cheers
Hi Andre
Before I discovered the BOSS I auditioned a Naim Unity Star, a Bluesound Node 2 and an Auralic Aries. I liked the Naim, apart from the price! The Bluesound was good when streaming from NAS but sound via USB was poor. The demo wasn't going well because the shop was having network problems so we never got to the bottom of that. The Auralic kept stopping and re-setting, possibly because of the network issue, so was impossible to assess. I was on the point of trying to audition a Cambridge Audio CXN at Richer Sounds when I read about the BOSS and decided to give it a go, largely on the grounds of cost I must admit.
I had been impressed by a Cyrus XT Signature CD transport, but wondered if streaming was the future and wanted to see how it compared with CD. I'm still unsure, and my wife is unconvinced by streaming; because she's not interested in or biased by technical information I take the opinions of her "innocent ears" as a useful check to my enthusiasm!
Once I get over my lingering 'flu I'll do some more serious listening and report back.

Lanky
21-02-2018, 19:55
Well, I tried some more listening today, but I'm very much feeling I'd like to send the BOSS Player back. Okay, the hardware seems to work now, but Volumio just won't do what I want. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to play the tracks of an album in sequence, but Volumio will only play one track at a time. Sometimes it then repeats the same track, sometimes it jumps to a track not in the album, sometimes it just stops. I can access the tracks in Library; Albums shows the albums and their tracks but won't play from the large Play button to the right of the album title.
It can't be my files, because the albums played through normally on the "proper" streamers I tried, and even work with Viera Tools/Music on my TV.
Is there an alternative OS that works?

Sherwood
21-02-2018, 21:33
Well, I tried some more listening today, but I'm very much feeling I'd like to send the BOSS Player back. Okay, the hardware seems to work now, but Volumio just won't do what I want. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to play the tracks of an album in sequence, but Volumio will only play one track at a time. Sometimes it then repeats the same track, sometimes it jumps to a track not in the album, sometimes it just stops. I can access the tracks in Library; Albums shows the albums and their tracks but won't play from the large Play button to the right of the album title.
It can't be my files, because the albums played through normally on the "proper" streamers I tried, and even work with Viera Tools/Music on my TV.
Is there an alternative OS that works?

I think you need to read how to use Volumio. If you want to play a whole album you select play at the album level rather than the track level. If you select play track, it will do that: play one track. If you want to play multiple tracks then make a playlist.

I can understand if you do not like Volumio, but the problems you refer to are because you have not taken the time to learn how it works and not because of inherent problems with the OS.

When it jumps to another track it is because that is in the previously selected queue.

Geoff

Lanky
21-02-2018, 23:56
So where can I find a basic beginner's guide to using Volumio? I agree that's what I need, but all the instructions I've found so far are about setup and modifications. The implication seems to be that actually using it is intuitive.
As for "selecting play at the album level", I guessed that might be what I wanted so I tried it, but as I said "Albums" shows the albums and their tracks but won't play from the large Play button to the right of the album title (in list view).
I'm familiar with playlists from iTunes though it's not something I use a lot. Useful for selecting odd tracks off a compilation, but mostly I just want to play an album through from start to finish. Do you mean I have to make a playlist to play a whole album?
The Queue menu is puzzling to me, I don't know what it's for, and it seems to populate itself randomly without any conscious input from me. But maybe Queue is the key to doing anything with Volumio?

Kit1cat
22-02-2018, 10:21
Selecting the White arrow works for me, but check you have not got the Random play icon selected. If you have more then one album by the artist, click on the 3 dots to the right of the album and select clear and play, check random play icon is not on in queue view.

Sherwood
22-02-2018, 10:47
So where can I find a basic beginner's guide to using Volumio? I agree that's what I need, but all the instructions I've found so far are about setup and modifications. The implication seems to be that actually using it is intuitive.
As for "selecting play at the album level", I guessed that might be what I wanted so I tried it, but as I said "Albums" shows the albums and their tracks but won't play from the large Play button to the right of the album title (in list view).
I'm familiar with playlists from iTunes though it's not something I use a lot. Useful for selecting odd tracks off a compilation, but mostly I just want to play an album through from start to finish. Do you mean I have to make a playlist to play a whole album?
The Queue menu is puzzling to me, I don't know what it's for, and it seems to populate itself randomly without any conscious input from me. But maybe Queue is the key to doing anything with Volumio?

It is straightforward. In the browse menu you can access your music files at the artist, album or track level. At each level you will see three dots, vertically arranged, in the top right hand corner. Tap once on this and it will reveal a drop down menu of all your playback options including the creation and editing of playlists.

Geoff

Lanky
22-02-2018, 14:06
Yes, it should be straightforward but I still can't make it all work.

I've had some success in that I can sometimes play an album from lower down in the Music Library (see last paragraph) by selecting Play from the three dot menu. I notice that this automatically adds all the tracks to the Queue. If I tap the waste basket icon at the top of the queue list it clears the queue and the music stops, so as I suspected the queue seems to be at the heart of how Volumio (and other streaming software, possibly) works. But some albums just won't work and don't appear on the queue.

However, if I go into Albums, there's a list of the same albums as in Music Library, each with three dots at the end of the line. So I choose the same album I did in Music Library album and select Play: nothing happens. If I select Add to queue, nothing happens. Same with Clear and play.
If I tap on the album name a list opens of all the tracks on the album, with the album art and title in a wider line at the top. At the right hand end of this line is a large white Play arrow. If I tap this it turns green but nothing else happens. Nothing is happening under Playback, and the queue is empty. Sometimes a red error message appears saying "Failed to decode" and a lot else besides, with underneath a green message saying play has started (but it hasn't.) What am I missing here? I suspect it's something to do with the queue. It would seem to be the obvious way to play an album if it worked.

So for me at the moment the three dot menu appears to be all that works, sometimes, but frustratingly it's not fully visible for the first four items on the Music Library or Albums list because the upper part of the menu, including the Play button, is hidden under the bar which has the Search box on it and can't be dragged down. Is this something that can be fixed? Without it there's no way these items can be played as things stand.

Sherwood
22-02-2018, 14:13
Yes, it should be straightforward but I still can't make it all work.

I've had some success in that I can sometimes play an album from lower down in the Music Library (see last paragraph) by selecting Play from the three dot menu. I notice that this automatically adds all the tracks to the Queue. If I tap the waste basket icon at the top of the queue list it clears the queue and the music stops, so as I suspected the queue seems to be at the heart of how Volumio (and other streaming software, possibly) works. But some albums just won't work and don't appear on the queue.

However, if I go into Albums, there's a list of the same albums as in Music Library, each with three dots at the end of the line. So I choose the same album I did in Music Library album and select Play: nothing happens. If I select Add to queue, nothing happens. Same with Clear and play.
If I tap on the album name a list opens of all the tracks on the album, with the album art and title in a wider line at the top. At the right hand end of this line is a large white Play arrow. If I tap this it turns green but nothing else happens. Nothing is happening under Playback, and the queue is empty. Sometimes a red error message appears saying "Failed to decode" and a lot else besides, with underneath a green message saying play has started (but it hasn't.) What am I missing here? I suspect it's something to do with the queue. It would seem to be the obvious way to play an album if it worked.

So for me at the moment the three dot menu appears to be all that works, sometimes, but frustratingly it's not fully visible for the first four items on the Music Library or Albums list because the upper part of the menu, including the Play button, is hidden under the bar which has the Search box on it and can't be dragged down. Is this something that can be fixed? Without it there's no way these items can be played as things stand.

The queue is simply that: a list of items that you have previously selected for play. As you add new items to play these are added to the queue, until you choose to delete individual tracks or the whole queue. Sounds as if there is something screwed up with your display. However, you might try using the alternative folder view option on the browse menu (the third icon from the left showing 9 boxes in a 3by3 layout).

Geoff

Kit1cat
22-02-2018, 17:54
I think you need to try a new image or a new sd card. Have you tried any other software, such as moode or picore player?

Lanky
22-02-2018, 19:33
Thanks for sticking with me, Geoff.
I tried the alternative folder view option you suggest but it didn't make any difference.
I've been enjoying listening to one of the albums that will play, but even with that I've noticed the Playback progress display sometimes freezes, though the music keeps playing.
My inexperience may have something to do with my Volumio difficulties, but it does seem to me there's a software issue. Is it maybe worth formatting the SD card and re-flashing it?

Sherwood
22-02-2018, 19:50
Thanks for sticking with me, Geoff.
I tried the alternative folder view option you suggest but it didn't make any difference.
I've been enjoying listening to one of the albums that will play, but even with that I've noticed the Playback progress display sometimes freezes, though the music keeps playing.
My inexperience may have something to do with my Volumio difficulties, but it does seem to me there's a software issue. Is it maybe worth formatting the SD card and re-flashing it?

Have you updated your music folders? I would do that first. Also, check your usb drive in a pc to make sure it is not corrupted.

Rather than reflash, have you tried doing software update. Finally, what device are you using to access Volumio. If you have a pc/notebook, I would try that.

Geoff

BTW. I am assuming you are running it using the ethernet option. I have never found wifi to be ideal for music streaming.

Lanky
22-02-2018, 21:24
I've just updated the music folders and checked the USB drive. I added a few new folders as well, and to my surprise these will play from Album view! The re-loaded old folders still won't, so I suppose there must be something not quite right in them.
Software is the latest version.
I am accessing Volumio via an Android tablet (Hudl2), but it works just the same on my iPhone, no difference at all.
The USB drive is plugged in to the Pi, so no ethernet connection needed.

Having closed Volumio I couldn't get it back until I connected the Pi to my router by cable and checked on the router setup on my desktop, which showed that Volumio had changed its IP address. Can this be fixed somehow?

When I ordered the BOSS Player I was given a choice of 3 OSs: DietPi + ALLO GUI; Volumio; or Max2Play. I chose Volumio because I'd already been on their website and it looked easy to use (how wrong I was!) I suppose I could try the other two but having looked them up I'm not confident.

Sherwood
22-02-2018, 21:36
I've just updated the music folders and checked the USB drive. I added a few new folders as well, and to my surprise these will play from Album view! The re-loaded old folders still won't, so I suppose there must be something not quite right in them.
Software is the latest version.
I am accessing Volumio via an Android tablet (Hudl2), but it works just the same on my iPhone, no difference at all.

Having closed Volumio I couldn't get it back until I connected the Pi to my router by cable and checked on the router setup on my desktop, which showed that Volumio had changed its IP address. Can this be fixed somehow?

When I ordered the BOSS Player I was given a choice of 3 OSs: DietPi + ALLO GUI; Volumio; or Max2Play. I chose Volumio because I'd already been on their website and it looked easy to use (how wrong I was!) I suppose I could try the other two but having looked them up I'm not confident.

I am sorry that you are having these problems but I have to say that I suspect that the problem is not with the software. The fact that the files will now play from the album view suggests some other problem.

I think that the interface is pretty user friendly to the extent that I had no need to consult any online help. I don't think you will find a more user friendly os.

If you have pc, try running it from that. Otherwise you have me baffled?

Geoff

jonners
22-02-2018, 21:41

In a previous post you said you were using ethernet. Have you got ethernet connected to the Pi or are you using wifi now?
Either way, unreliability of the network can be a cause of many of the issues you have mentioned.

Lanky
23-02-2018, 00:19
Previously I was using an ethernet connection because the USB drive with my music on it was plugged in to my router. Then someone suggested I plug the USB drive direct into the Pi, which is what I have done. So I am not using wifi for streaming. The only wifi connection is to Volumio via my tablet.
By the way, I believe there is an Android app for Volumio. What is the advantage of this, if any?

Lanky
23-02-2018, 00:21
If you have pc, try running it from that. Otherwise you have me baffled?

Geoff

It's late now, but I'll try that interesting suggestion in the morning.

Simon_LDT
23-02-2018, 00:54
Rob, stick with Volumio as it is a doddle to use once you are familiar with it and I doubt there will be an easier program to use.

To stop your router from giving Volumio a different IP address upon new connection (every time it starts up) you need to reserve the desired IP via the router settings. If you use Sky broadband I can help you directly with this but if not it will be under ''LAN settings'' in your router's menu.

How your music shows up depends on how it's been ripped and stored. For me, I also use an attached device (SSD) via the Pi's USB. All my files are flacs and to load an album to the playlist I do the following: Music Library > USB > FLAC albums > choose artist > choose album > click the dots on right side which bring up the options > ''play'' (which will automatically add all tracks in the album folder selected AND will play through immediately OR ''Add'' which will add the tracks to the playlist but to start playback you'll need to go into the playlist tab and click on the first track. Using the ''Add'' is handy as you can queue up albums or individual tracks while an album/track is playing.

If you can, use a PC or Laptop and just browse through all the menu's in Volumio to get a feel for it. There is not a lot to it really and you don't have to tinker just get familiar. If you're stuck on some settings I can note down what settings I use if it helps?

I'd recommend setting up the reserved IP address first. Don't forget to go into the Volumio network settings and tell it the wireless IP to connect to once you've chosen it (for example, I use 192.168.0.25 to always bring up Volumio).

jonners
23-02-2018, 08:58
Previously I was using an ethernet connection because the USB drive with my music on it was plugged in to my router. Then someone suggested I plug the USB drive direct into the Pi, which is what I have done. So I am not using wifi for streaming. The only wifi connection is to Volumio via my tablet.
By the way, I believe there is an Android app for Volumio. What is the advantage of this, if any?

In order for your tablet to talk to the Pi, the Pi must have a wifi or ethernet connection. So if you are not using ethernet then the Pi3's internal wifi is being used, which isn't great. I would recommend getting a good wifi adapter. It will make a difference. I've tried several, and the Edimax was easily the best: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003MTTJOY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I12KWMVFHLYHXB&colid=2QHZHSZWRSQ0G&psc=1

Lanky
23-02-2018, 12:58
I'm trying Volumio on my desktop PC. It's in a different room from the hifi so it's not a sustainable method, but with a solid ethernet connection all the way through and mouse control (touch screens don't like my fingers) I hoped it should cut out some of the variables.

Except it doesn't. The only gain I've noticed is that the 3 dot menu no longer hides under the search bar for the first few entries like it does on portable devices. (I got round this on the Hudl by loading four files called 001-004 into my Music Library.)

Some albums that are listed complete with album art in Music Library view, and are playable from there, don't show album art in Album view and don't play from here. Some albums work perfectly in all menus and views, so I can see that Volumio would be excellent if they were all like that.
I could blame myself for getting something wrong in ripping that messed up the metadata enough in some of the rips to confuse some of Volumio's functions, though I believe I used the same settings in EAC for all the rips. But one of the albums that doesn't display or work correctly is a purchased FLAC download from the Presto Classical website which I haven't modified.

So far I've only tried playing music from a USB stick, so maybe I should put the same files on an external HDD and try that. My smart TV actually picks up the music folders on my desktop computer via the network, but I don't know how to get Volumio to do that, though I feel there should be a way.

I'm frustratingly close to getting Volumio to do what I want. Could there be a bug in the latest version (volumio-2.368-2018-02-18-pi.img)? Could my flashed image be corrupted? I have in mind that the only way to shut down is to pull the plug, because the shutdown function in Volumio appears not to work, as others have noted.

When I'm controlling the Pi from my tablet or phone I'm only a few feet away in line of sight, so surely the wifi should be good enough? I am using a wifi dongle with the Pi, though it's just an ASUS one that came with a wireless mouse and keyboard so is possibly not the best match. The Amazon link for Edimax shows eleven options, so I'm not sure which one you mean. The one I'm currently using looks just like the Edimax N150 Nano. Are these things plug and play, or is there some setting up needed?
Anyway, as the same problems in Volumio occur with a fully wired connection I'm inclined to think the wifi aspect is a red herring.

Sherwood
23-02-2018, 13:13
I'm trying Volumio on my desktop PC. It's in a different room from the hifi so it's not a sustainable method, but with a solid ethernet connection all the way through and mouse control (touch screens don't like my fingers) I hoped it should cut out some of the variables.

Except it doesn't. The only gain I've noticed is that the 3 dot menu no longer hides under the search bar for the first few entries like it does on portable devices. (I got round this on the Hudl by loading four files called 001-004 into my Music Library.)

Some albums that are listed complete with album art in Music Library view, and are playable from there, don't show album art in Album view and don't play from here. Some albums work perfectly in all menus and views, so I can see that Volumio would be excellent if they were all like that.
I could blame myself for getting something wrong in ripping that messed up the metadata enough in some of the rips to confuse some of Volumio's functions, though I believe I used the same settings in EAC for all the rips. But one of the albums that doesn't display or work correctly is a purchased FLAC download from the Presto Classical website which I haven't modified.

So far I've only tried playing music from a USB stick, so maybe I should put the same files on an external HDD and try that. My smart TV actually picks up the music folders on my desktop computer via the network, but I don't know how to get Volumio to do that, though I feel there should be a way.

I'm frustratingly close to getting Volumio to do what I want. Could there be a bug in the latest version (volumio-2.368-2018-02-18-pi.img)? Could my flashed image be corrupted? I have in mind that the only way to shut down is to pull the plug, because the shutdown function in Volumio appears not to work, as others have noted.

When I'm controlling the Pi from my tablet or phone I'm only a few feet away in line of sight, so surely the wifi should be good enough? I am using a wifi dongle with the Pi, though it's just an ASUS one that came with a wireless mouse and keyboard so is possibly not the best match. The Amazon link for Edimax shows eleven options, so I'm not sure which one you mean. The one I'm currently using looks just like the Edimax N150 Nano. Are these things plug and play, or is there some setting up needed?
Anyway, as the same problems in Volumio occur with a fully wired connection I'm inclined to think the wifi aspect is a red herring.

Sorry, I've run out of suggestions. I installed Volumio four months ago on my second Pi system. The whole process took 15 minutes from downloading to playback and the only adjustments I made were to select the Digione board and to activate software volume control (setting the max volume to 80 as my player feeds directly into the power amp.

I do suspect the wifi though, and other than for tablets and phones, all my home devices are connected using ethernet over mains adapters. BTW, you may be right beside your RPi when using Volumio but note that the control is via your router, not direct to the player!

I have had a problem with one or two files not playing back correctly, but it transpired that these were corrupted at some point and would not play back on my desktop pc either.

Geoff

jonners
23-02-2018, 13:24

You're probably right in that case.
Some people have reported issues with Volumio 2.368. I'll give it a run myself and see what happens.

Kit1cat
23-02-2018, 14:36
What software are you using to flash the sd card, does it verify the written image? Have you tried another sd card, your card could be faulty.

Lanky
23-02-2018, 16:17
You're probably right in that case.
Some people have reported issues with Volumio 2.368. I'll give it a run myself and see what happens.

Interesting. It will be interesting to see how you get on.

Lanky
23-02-2018, 16:18
What software are you using to flash the sd card, does it verify the written image? Have you tried another sd card, your card could be faulty.

Etcher, and it did verify the image. SD card was supplied by Allo. I have a spare I could try.

Lanky
23-02-2018, 16:46
I tried an external HDD in place of the USB stick, but it made no difference. At one point I tried typing MUSIC into the search box and it found all My Music files on my PC, mostly M4As for my iPod. I tried a few and they seemed to play alright but then I moved on and now can't work out how I did it! Remind me, someone?
It seems likely some of my files are suspect as this is my first adventure in ripping. Looking in the folders, I notice some have an M3U file and some don't, does this matter?
I also see under My Music in the Volumio Settings menu\Music Library Settings a suggestion to "Configure the metadata fields used to describe albumartist in compilations or 'multiple artist' albums, use comma separated fields". Currently it reads Various,various,Various Artists,various artists,VA,va. I don't think this would apply to any of the albums I'm currently listing, but I wonder to what extent the choice of metadata when ripping affects Volumio.
I really need to get my head round the finer details of ripping before I launch into doing hundreds of CDs. I may try dbPowerAmp and see if it's any easier to understand than EAC.

Kit1cat
23-02-2018, 20:02
I have used EAC in the pass with good results, one thing you must remember with any thing you rip is to make sure all the files are tagged correctly, this is very important for volumio and any other software you might try, also check the tagging on any files you already have. I use mp3tag on my pc, it can be a long winded job but worth it in the End.

Sherwood
23-02-2018, 20:09
I tried an external HDD in place of the USB stick, but it made no difference. At one point I tried typing MUSIC into the search box and it found all My Music files on my PC, mostly M4As for my iPod. I tried a few and they seemed to play alright but then I moved on and now can't work out how I did it! Remind me, someone?
It seems likely some of my files are suspect as this is my first adventure in ripping. Looking in the folders, I notice some have an M3U file and some don't, does this matter?
I also see under My Music in the Volumio Settings menu\Music Library Settings a suggestion to "Configure the metadata fields used to describe albumartist in compilations or 'multiple artist' albums, use comma separated fields". Currently it reads Various,various,Various Artists,various artists,VA,va. I don't think this would apply to any of the albums I'm currently listing, but I wonder to what extent the choice of metadata when ripping affects Volumio.
I really need to get my head round the finer details of ripping before I launch into doing hundreds of CDs. I may try dbPowerAmp and see if it's any easier to understand than EAC.

I endorse dbPoweramp. I bought a lifetime update version. One of the strengths of this package is that it compares each rip to a database of previous rips and verifies the accuracy of the rip. If it shows as an accurate rip you can be confident it is.

Geoff

jonners
24-02-2018, 10:22
@ Lanky

I installed Voumio 2.368 on my Pi3 with I2S DAC and 1TB Hard Disc attached to USB port, and it runs perfectly OK for me. I also got the Spotify Connect plug-in working.
If you are still having problems then I think a fresh install might be worth trying, possibly with a different sd card.

mikeyb
24-02-2018, 10:48
A new card will maybe help, I had to bin the allo supplied one as it became corrupted and now won’t even format no matter what programme I use.

They’re cheap enough to replace, just make sure you don’t buy a fake.

Sherwood
24-02-2018, 11:29
A new card will maybe help, I had to bin the allo supplied one as it became corrupted and now won’t even format no matter what programme I use.

They’re cheap enough to replace, just make sure you don’t buy a fake.

You need to format it with SDformatter not in Windows. It may be fine, but a good idea to try a different one first.

Geoff

mikeyb
24-02-2018, 11:35
You need to format it with SDformatter not in Windows. It may be fine, but a good idea to try a different one first.

GeoffI've tried everything to format it including SDformatter, card's dead lol

Sherwood
24-02-2018, 12:02
I've tried everything to format it including SDformatter, card's dead lol

Did you set the complete overwrite option and resize as well?

Geoff

Lanky
25-02-2018, 20:05
I formatted a spare 32GB SD card using SD Formatter in overwrite mode then downloaded the latest Volumio image again and flashed it using Etcher.
The only glitch was that part way through Etcher validating the flash, Windows popped up and said I needed to format two drives (meaning two virtual drives on the SD card, I think), but I just closed the dialogues and let validation finish. Was this the right thing to do, I wonder? Windows doesn't want to have anything to do with Volumio anyway, so I don't know why it feels the need to interfere when Etcher is doing its stuff.
I put the new card in the Pi, loaded Volumio on my desktop, at the second attempt, and ran the first time setup wizard after noticing Volumio looked a bit odd.
Albums play OK from the top line big white play button. Annoyingly, the three dot menu still hides when I use Volumio on my tablet or phone, but not on the PC. Surely Volumio is mainly used on portable devices, so I'm mystified as to why it won't display properly on either of mine.
All I can hope is that the next update will be better. Maybe I'll go and bother the Volumio forum (sighs of relief from AOS!)

jonners
25-02-2018, 20:31
@Lanky
Clearing the cache on your browser can sometimes fix display problems.

Kit1cat
26-02-2018, 10:14
Have you tried the Volumio app, that might solve your display problems on your tablet, not bad value at 99p. I have used it on my iPad.

Lanky
01-03-2018, 17:25
Thanks for the suggestion, the Volumio Android app does display the three dot menu correctly, so that's an improvement. The other Play issues remain, so I think it must be something to do with tagging in some of my files.

Kit1cat
02-03-2018, 11:17
You could always load a couple of the albums you are having problems with into mp3tag and check the tagging or rip a couple of cd's with correct tagging and see how they play. I spent a fair few hours over the past couple of weeks correcting the tagging on some of my music, makes a big difference when using programs like volumio etc.

Sherwood
02-03-2018, 11:45
Thanks for the suggestion, the Volumio Android app does display the three dot menu correctly, so that's an improvement. The other Play issues remain, so I think it must be something to do with tagging in some of my files.

I would guess so as I have no problems with the web browser on my phone or tablet.

The Black Adder
02-03-2018, 13:04
Have you guys any objection for me to move the problems with software to a dedicated thread?

I'd like to keep this as a Boss 1.2 review thread as much as possible.

Lanky
02-03-2018, 16:32
Sorry Josie if I've hijacked your thread! Put it down to inexperience. Or ineptitude, if you prefer.
People have been very helpful and my ramblings about software are probably coming to an end, but by all means move the software stuff to a dedicated thread.
:spank: