PDA

View Full Version : Turntable advice needed

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 15:07
Hi I hope I’m posting this in the right section! We’ve had so much fun buying vinyl for Christmas presents for other people that we’ve decided to invest in a turntable ourselves.

We’ve looked on line and been to curry’s but we’re not sure what to go for. We’ve got about £150 to spend. I got some advice on Bluetooth speakers on another thread which turned out to be brilliant so thought I’d raise another question. We’re not sure if we should get a Bluetooth turntable that could connect to the speakers we’ve already got or to go for a new set of speakers with the turntable as the turntable will be in another room. There seems to be quite a lot of choice in the sub £100 category but we don’t really want something novelty!

Any advice on set ups within our budget would be very welcome indeed.

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone’s having a wonderful Christmas!

Audio Al
27-12-2017, 16:40
That will be tough on your budget , You really need a TT , amp with a phonostage built in and speakers
Dont waste your money on the " Modern " usb type

Good luck in your serch

topoxforddoc
27-12-2017, 19:18
Vicki,

Many of the affordable new turntables/record players at the £100-150 mark are poorly built. Importantly the quality of the bearings in the arm can be poor and the quality of the cartridge (needle) rock bottom too. You can end up damaging your valuable record collection with a cheap mass market record player. I would certainly avoid things like a Crossley, Ion etc.

If you aren't too cack handed, I would look for a second hand classic turntable, such as a Sansui SR 222, Technics, Thorens - some examples below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sansui-SR-222-Turntable-new-belt-new-stylus/253326446876?hash=item3afb6ed11c:g:b3sAAOSwa81aPiS b

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUAL-505-2-BELT-DRIVE-GERMAN-MADE-VINYL-RECORD-DECK-TURNTABLE/312033288029?hash=item48a6a21f5d:g:I1wAAOSwPPpaQ58 B

Otherwise, if you don;t trust your hands/eyesight and can stretch the budget a bit, try a new Project or a Rega RP1

New Project Essential
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/project-essential-2-blk.html

New Reag RP1
https://www.northxsouth.co.uk/products/rega-rp1-white-turntable-with-carbon-cartridge-2010-edition?variant=5391120400416

You will need an amplifier with a phono input. Most 1980s and 90s classic hi-fi amplifiers had phono inputs - so plenty to choose from in the second hand market.

Good luck!
Charlie

walpurgis
27-12-2017, 19:43
With your budget, an older, good quality turntable is definitely the way to go.

I see you are in Hampshire. If you're not too far from Bordon, why not pop into 'HiFi Hangar' and have a chat with Steve who runs it. He stocks decent vintage gear and may well have something to suit you and his prices are sensible. He's a nice guy too.

Here: https://www.hifihangar.co.uk/

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 21:07
Hi, can you explain why we should avoid usb, just a novice who doesn’t know

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 21:12
Thanks so much Charlie. Have looked at both the new options and both seem great, although the rega has mixed reviews on Amazon. We noticed they do a digital option in the project essential, worth considering?

We also found a bundle with an onkyo a 90 10 amp, audio technika please 60 usb and Q acoustics Q3020 speakers for £379.. but it is a usb turntable which Al recommended to avoid. Being a novice I don’t know the difference with the usb.
Is it a good idea to spend more and look for a bundle somewhere with all the things we need?

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 21:27
How would you rate this as an option?

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/hi-fi-packages/audio-technica-lp60bt-black-and-tibo-plus-2-black.html

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 21:28
With your budget, an older, good quality turntable is definitely the way to go.

I see you are in Hampshire. If you're not too far from Bordon, why not pop into 'HiFi Hangar' and have a chat with Steve who runs it. He stocks decent vintage gear and may well have something to suit you and his prices are sensible. He's a nice guy too.

Here: https://www.hifihangar.co.uk/

Looks like a fab place, but closed until the new year unfortunately

paulf-2007
27-12-2017, 21:45
I don't see the point of playing records and then listening via digital. Is this vinyl interest more a hipster thing, where it's trendy to have records. If so I suggest you don't waste money on it. Don't take this the wrong way, just telling it how it is. I have friends with great records in pristine condition and bought a USB turntable with a tonearm where you can't even use a different cartridge on it. They buy new records and then digitise them on a Mac, then play them back through silly little AV speakers. I suggest you get to hear someone's vinyl playback set up and see if that's what you want, it can get expensive

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 21:58
It’s not a need to transfer to digital at all, it’s the need to find what might work for our home.

We love the vinyl sound, and we had a brilliant time going round the record shops in Brighton listening to records on the set ups in the vinyl shops. BUT we have three kids (two teenagers, one plays bass and one guitar so very much into this themselves) and therefore this means a limited budget and limited space.

We don’t have the space for a wall full of equipment.

What we do have is a huge front hall, which at the moment has a dresser in it. We would like to ditch the dresser and make a vinyl lounge, with a couple of armchairs, or a small sofa, and a vinyl set up of some sort, and some kind of wall mounted shelves for vinyl and graphic novels. My husband already has a vinyl collection and nothing to play them on currently.

I don’t know if that explains a little better what we are looking for, if space and budget weren’t an issue, we would love all singing all dancing separates each bought with care and attention purely for music quality. But we aren’t in that position, so we are trying to find a set up we can afford, where we and our teenagers can enjoy vinyl and a little chill out zone to do so, in a smallish space.

karma67
27-12-2017, 22:04
hi,what record shops did you visit in brighton?

paulf-2007
27-12-2017, 22:07
It’s not a need to transfer to digital at all, it’s the need to find what might work for our home.

We love the vinyl sound, and we had a brilliant time going round the record shops in Brighton listening to records on the set ups in the vinyl shops. BUT we have three kids (two teenagers, one plays bass and one guitar so very much into this themselves) and therefore this means a limited budget and limited space.

We don’t have the space for a wall full of equipment.

What we do have is a huge from hall, which at the moment has a dresser in it. We would like to ditch the dresser and make a vinyl lounge, with a couple of armchairs, or a small sofa, and a vinyl set up of some sort, and some kind of wall mounted shelves for vinyl and graphic novels. My husband already has a vinyl collection and nothing to play them on currently.

I don’t know if that explains a little better what we are looking for, if space and budget weren’t an issue, we would love all singing all dancing separates each bought with care and attention purely for music quality. But we aren’t in that position, so we are trying to find a set up we can afford, where we and our teenagers can enjoy vinyl and a little chill out zone to do so, in a smallish space.ok Vicky, all clear now. I was looking through your thread about the Bluetooth speakers to get an idea of what you were looking for. Maybe a Bluetooth turntable will work for you for now, maybe best not to spend too much on this as vinyl is addictive.

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 22:11
They were in the north laines, The Wax Factor and Across the Tracks

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 22:12
ok Vicky, all clear now. I was looking through your thread about the Bluetooth speakers to get an idea of what you were looking for. Maybe a Bluetooth turntable will work for you for now, maybe best not to spend too much on this as vinyl is addictive.

Thanks, all help is greatly appreciated!

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 22:15
What are your thoughts on these

http://www.hifisound.co.uk/analogue-c49/vinyl-system-zone-c114/vinyl-systems-c115/at-lp3-turntable-package-with-active-bluetooth-speakers-p2177

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/hi-fi-packages/audio-technica-lp60bt-black-and-tibo-plus-2-black.html

https://www.richersounds.com/teac-system-inc-speakers.html

OR the Project essential 2 digital with some kind of Bluetooth speakers

paulf-2007
27-12-2017, 22:18
Are they q acoustics wireless active speakers with RCA input, if so a turntable with built in phono stage would work if they will be in the same room.

VICTORIA PLUM
27-12-2017, 22:27
Are they q acoustics wireless active speakers with RCA input, if so a turntable with built in phono stage would work if they will be in the same room.

They are, but we have those in the sitting room and use them with Spotify etc. We would want speakers for the hall with the turntable, but if we could connect to speakers in sitting room too that would be a bonus

Audio Al
28-12-2017, 04:00
Hi, can you explain why we should avoid usb, just a novice who doesn’t know

All USB record players I have seen are built by accountants , Minimum value . maximum profit , cheap and nasty

Haselsh1
28-12-2017, 05:36
Hey, can't really comment on the turntable thing but I am so with you when it comes to loudspeakers by Q Acoustics. Of the lower cost and standmount type, I had a pair some years back and they were damn fine. If you are looking to get into vinyl in a very hobbyist way then you will certainly need a turntable/arm/cartridge and also an amplifier. My advice is to always buy second hand unless you really can't as buying brand new is a bit of a mugs game if you don't have money to throw away. There is plenty of really good highly trendy 70's stuff out there like the already mentioned Sansui SR222. Most of all whatever you do, never rush into a decision, just take your time and be patient. There are a lot of wealthy dealers out there from people who just cannot wait. You are making the best decision ever just by showing an interest.

bob4333
28-12-2017, 09:26
Vicki, I think what you are trying to achieve is to be commended and inevitably it's going to be a balance between budget, physically fitting it all in and sound quality per pound. Looking through the trend of responses so far I wouldn't disagree with any of them.

But if music and sound quality are important to you I would avoid USB and especially Bluetooth. I've only one experience of Bluetooth which is with a pair of £300 Sony headphones. On Bluetooth they were OK but not great, using the cable connection the sound lost it's edginess and the missing bass notes came back. So Bluetooth was good for convenience but poor for sound quality. If this translates into the same thing using Bluetooth speakers then ultimately you're going to be missing out and left wondering what all the fuss is about.

With your declared budget I'd definitely endorse the suggestions to consider buying used, just don't necessarily jump at the first shiny turntable that comes along. Keep plugging away at this thread and keep an eye on the Private Exhibitions section of the forum to see what others are selling. You can even post a "Wanted" Ad as well. Buy once and buy well.

Here's a view on USB turntables. https://www.cnet.com/news/usb-turntables-worst-ever-audio-product/ Couple of positive recommendations in the text are mentioned. Rega comes up again.

Further recommendations here, but remember you don't have to buy new.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/3-best-turntable-systems

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/blog/introducing-the-turntable-starter-package/

http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/vinyl-starter-system

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/the-8-best-budget-turntables-that-wont-ruin-your-records/

When you get it right the sound quality will draw you in like nothing you've ever come across in listening to music.

Good luck. :)

VICTORIA PLUM
28-12-2017, 09:28
Hey, can't really comment on the turntable thing but I am so with you when it comes to loudspeakers by Q Acoustics. Of the lower cost and standmount type, I had a pair some years back and they were damn fine. If you are looking to get into vinyl in a very hobbyist way then you will certainly need a turntable/arm/cartridge and also an amplifier. My advice is to always buy second hand unless you really can't as buying brand new is a bit of a mugs game if you don't have money to throw away. There is plenty of really good highly trendy 70's stuff out there like the already mentioned Sansui SR222. Most of all whatever you do, never rush into a decision, just take your time and be patient. There are a lot of wealthy dealers out there from people who just cannot wait. You are making the best decision ever just by showing an interest.

Thanks Shaun, good advice to not rush into it.

Had a look at eBay and the sensui SR222 looks pretty cool. Varied prices though and have no idea why, I guess varying degrees of condition.

walpurgis
28-12-2017, 09:37
Also look at Pioneer PL-12D turntables. They are reliable and simple. I keep one myself for nostalgic reasons :) (and it sounds pretty good).

Cycleallday
28-12-2017, 11:23
Check your messages Vicki

Mel

Haselsh1
28-12-2017, 14:10
Thanks Shaun, good advice to not rush into it.

Had a look at eBay and the sensui SR222 looks pretty cool. Varied prices though and have no idea why, I guess varying degrees of condition.

Yeah, again Ms Plum, If you are buying into a lifestyle what would be the point of a scratched and knackered old piece of junk...? Take your time...! You have the money 'they' want...! Think carefully and you are less likely to mess it up.
For me, condition is everything. I want it mint and if it isn't then my money goes elsewhere. You are treading a very risky path. Vinyl is highly addictive and highly trendy right now. You call the shots NOT them.

Haselsh1
28-12-2017, 14:11
Also look at Pioneer PL-12D turntables. They are reliable and simple. I keep one myself for nostalgic reasons :) (and it sounds pretty good).

Oh yes, another classic that I have never owned.

DSJR
28-12-2017, 14:12

I was reminded elsewhere recently of the Pioneer PL12-AC which preceded the 12-D and which was rather more sturdily made before the tolerances began to slip here and there. Not as many were sold so they're rarer.

If vinyl is a new thing and vintage isn't a problem, I'd also suggest one of the LATER Dual 505's (505-3 is preferred as they're quieter and in nicer better plinths, many spares can be got if needed and the arm/cartridge is easy to get styli or replacement cartridges for). The 505 lives on as the 505-4 at around 500 Euros or less. The original cartridge was an Ortofon OM type. Just a thought, but the auto lift-stop at side end would be a nice thing to have and by the 505-3, the sonics were fine... I'll stick me neck out further and say that ALL older Duals prior to this model are conservation pieces and will need work doing on them. They're worth it for idiots like me to strip down and service - and I get huge pleasure from doing this, but not really projects for newbies to the medium of vinyl. The 505's are 'new' enough not to need much with luck and good ones are around a ton...

Cycleallday
29-12-2017, 13:16
Hi I hope I’m posting this in the right section! We’ve had so much fun buying vinyl for Christmas presents for other people that we’ve decided to invest in a turntable ourselves.

We’ve looked on line and been to curry’s but we’re not sure what to go for. We’ve got about £150 to spend. I got some advice on Bluetooth speakers on another thread which turned out to be brilliant so thought I’d raise another question. We’re not sure if we should get a Bluetooth turntable that could connect to the speakers we’ve already got or to go for a new set of speakers with the turntable as the turntable will be in another room. There seems to be quite a lot of choice in the sub £100 category but we don’t really want something novelty!

Any advice on set ups within our budget would be very welcome indeed.

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone’s having a wonderful Christmas!

This seems to meet your wishes - also gets quite good reviews in hifi press

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-17932-audio-technica-atlp60bt-bluetooth-turntable.aspx

I saw one yesterday in John Lewis Southampton clear out sale for about £125 and it looked as though it included bluetooth speakers as well.

I think Richer Sounds also carry it.

It comes with cartridge and can also plug into amplifier if you choose to upgrade in the future.

Audio Technica make many hifi cartridges so should have a decent product here.

Mel

Audio Al
29-12-2017, 16:42
This seems to meet your wishes - also gets quite good reviews in hifi press

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-17932-audio-technica-atlp60bt-bluetooth-turntable.aspx

I saw one yesterday in John Lewis Southampton clear out sale for about £125 and it looked as though it included bluetooth speakers as well.

I think Richer Sounds also carry it.

It comes with cartridge and can also plug into amplifier if you choose to upgrade in the future.

Audio Technica make many hifi cartridges so should have a decent product here.

Mel

£189 down to £145 and the £125 in the " We cant sell them " clear out sale , Think that sums it up

Only my opinion :)

hifi_dave
29-12-2017, 16:44
You old cynic..:)

Don't you like plastic turntables ?

Audio Al
29-12-2017, 16:47
You old cynic..:)

Don't you like plastic turntables ?

Who me :o

Plastic TT :hmm: I think thats a NO NO :nono:

Only my opinion :)

struth
29-12-2017, 16:48
everyone needs to start somewhere

Audio Al
29-12-2017, 16:49
everyone needs to start somewhere

Agreed but why wast their ltd budget ?

walpurgis
29-12-2017, 17:08
I would sooner eat a razorblade sarnie than buy that AT! ;)

Audio Al
29-12-2017, 17:10

Not had one of those Geoff ;)

Macca
29-12-2017, 23:05

It's plastic tat, I agree. The budget is too low to consider buying new. You can't get a competent deck that cheap brand new.

In this situation I'd budget say 300 quid, go to Richer Sounds and get a Rega or Project all ready too go with the cartridge fitted and set up for you.

VICTORIA PLUM
30-12-2017, 21:52
Wow... thank you so much for all the help and advice. I value each opinion and no doubt will be coming here regularly to research and ask more questions.

We went to Richer Sounds and got so much help from Rob, who was amazing. He took us in to the demo room and talked through all our options. Like you guys, he said that Bluetooth would reduce the quality.

After trying various options we ended up buying something we are really happy with, and gives us room for upgrade. We decided to use the whole budget on the turntable and use our Qbt3’s to begin with. We loved the sound of the Denon DP-300f, very rich and warm, so we bought that and got a great deal at £239.99.

I have no idea if you will approve (hoping you do) but it had such a lovely sound, plus with the built in pre amp we can use our lovely red Q acoustics. Going for the automatic option means our older teenagers can use it and love it, without us getting twitchy every time they touch it. We took our eldest with is to Brighton today and found a seller with some great vinyl, and bought a few to start us off.

We have just set it up and we are currently all sitting round listening to various classics, started with Brothers in Arms, my sons choice as he’s learned some on his electric guitar, and now we are on to Hendrix. I must say it’s bloomin’ marvellous, we love music but it has never felt quite like such an event before.

Thanks so much everyone, for all your help and advice. Without you we would have ended up with some cr*ppy suitcase usb turntable, I am SO glad you came to our rescue!!!

Would welcome any opinions on the Denon, just hope you won’t tell us we bought a pup!!

walpurgis
30-12-2017, 21:58
Nice result. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters. :)

karma67
30-12-2017, 22:15
next time you visit brighton search out monkey music in baker street,he has a good selection of vinyl :)

Minstrel SE
30-12-2017, 22:19
Hi

Its a difficult one this and one I hope we will tackle in another thread. Denon are a good brand and that turntable will do a job for the new owner who has looked at a few in Richer sounds. I suppose the main thing is that you are playing records and getting in to it

However I would have liked to see you buying something like a Rega RP1 and at £240 you are almost at that starting point. Im not sure what Richer stock now but hope that the salesman didnt just go down one path

I wonder whether we fail people on the forum by not really getting over that such a starting point will provide years of satisfaction and hold its value better on the used market.

I have seen the review and you could have done far worse. Im not sure anybody needs the automatic functions but its your decision and your money.

I like to see people put the money to a classic minimalist deck concentrating on the bearing arm and platter. I think that the money spent on a Rega is more rewarding especially on a long term basis

I dont know how we tempt buyers to buy a used classic as I understand they want to get up and running with minimum research and fuss. Ive been reading about record players for forty years :)

Oh well at least you havent bought a crosley cruiser and Denon is a manufacturer I respect. I have some of their products.

I just sometimes wonder about the role of this forum with threads like this. I have only just seen this thread but I sense that we have failed you. That may just be my hang up.

Best wishes
Martin

Haselsh1
31-12-2017, 07:32
I have no idea if you will approve (hoping you do)

It is almost totally irrelevant whether we do or we don't. All that counts here is whether you are happy with your sound or not. Initially you'll be very happy with it so go out and start buying those twenty five quid a time pieces of black plastic.
It is when you get bored that the fun starts but for now, welcome to the machine.

bob4333
31-12-2017, 09:27
Hi

Its a difficult one this and one I hope we will tackle in another thread. Denon are a good brand and that turntable will do a job for the new owner who has looked at a few in Richer sounds. I suppose the main thing is that you are playing records and getting in to it

However I would have liked to see you buying something like a Rega RP1 and at £240 you are almost at that starting point.

I wonder whether we fail people on the forum by not really getting over that such a starting point will provide years of satisfaction and hold its value better on the used market.

I have seen the review and you could have done far worse.

I like to see people put the money to a classic minimalist deck concentrating on the bearing arm and platter.

Best wishes
Martin

Martin, yes it is difficult but I think for those of us that have been plugging away at this vinyl lark for years it's all too easy to forget where we started and what we started with. The OP has already got the budget creaking at the seams and to have bought the Rega (worthy choice though it may be) would have necessitated dipping a bit deeper into the family pocket for a phono stage as well.

So all in all Vicki has gone with something that meets her needs, comes with a reassuring warranty, hasn't been bounced around in the post and gets a few records spinning in her home. And more importantly offers delight in what comes out of the speakers at a price that was affordable.

It also doesn't disgrace itself in reviews, so better than the USB affair that was aimed for at the beginning. Tick the box on that - the forum may have assisted a little here.

The alternative would have been to buy used and it's OK for those steeped in the knowledge to recognise the idiosyncrasies of what'll work and what's likely to require a rebuild as soon as you get it home but it's maybe not so easy when you're just kicking off. Unless someone has an engineering mindset I don't think you can tempt newbies to understand the importance of "concentrating on the bearing arm and platter" when all they want is to play some music that sounds better than their MP3 player. That in itself is an achievement.

So I'd say to Vicki well done, and when you start to have the feeling that maybe "I'd like a bit more bass there" or "I'm sure the treble could be a bit sweeter" get back on here. I doubt you'll be short of a view or two.

Haselsh1
31-12-2017, 09:44
Martin, yes it is difficult but I think for those of us that have been plugging away at this vinyl lark for years it's all too easy to forget where we started and what we started with.

Oh yes Bob very true. I started back in 1978 with a dodgy Garrard that cost 65 quid from Comet and was fitted with an equally dodgy Shure M75 ED.

paulf-2007
31-12-2017, 10:20
Until one has gained some knowledge of what they are looking for a new turntable is the way to go. As already said a used one may be faulty or worn and someone new may not know the reason why they are not getting what they want. I did say before not to spend too much at this stage so later a better turntable can be bought. It's possible to spend thousands and still find its not the right choice.

VICTORIA PLUM
31-12-2017, 11:13
Martin, yes it is difficult but I think for those of us that have been plugging away at this vinyl lark for years it's all too easy to forget where we started and what we started with. The OP has already got the budget creaking at the seams and to have bought the Rega (worthy choice though it may be) would have necessitated dipping a bit deeper into the family pocket for a phono stage as well.

So all in all Vicki has gone with something that meets her needs, comes with a reassuring warranty, hasn't been bounced around in the post and gets a few records spinning in her home. And more importantly offers delight in what comes out of the speakers at a price that was affordable.

It also doesn't disgrace itself in reviews, so better than the USB affair that was aimed for at the beginning. Tick the box on that - the forum may have assisted a little here.

The alternative would have been to buy used and it's OK for those steeped in the knowledge to recognise the idiosyncrasies of what'll work and what's likely to require a rebuild as soon as you get it home but it's maybe not so easy when you're just kicking off. Unless someone has an engineering mindset I don't think you can tempt newbies to understand the importance of "concentrating on the bearing arm and platter" when all they want is to play some music that sounds better than their MP3 player. That in itself is an achievement.

So I'd say to Vicki well done, and when you start to have the feeling that maybe "I'd like a bit more bass there" or "I'm sure the treble could be a bit sweeter" get back on here. I doubt you'll be short of a view or two.

Thank you so much.

We did look at a Rega and listen to it, but we wanted to use the speakers we already had and blow the budget (and some!) on just a turntable, so going for the Denon gave us the opportunity to do that. I also have this strange love of watching the needle/arm do it’s thing. I don’t know what it is, but it evokes some kind of childish excitement! Probably a memory from way back when and my older siblings getting a new automatic!

I was sad to read the post saying that the forum may have failed us. We are thrilled with our purchase, and our eldest sons couldn’t believe the sound, they haven’t heard vinyl before. I think we got the right advice, listened to all of it, and added it to our list of practical needs. The guy at Richer Sounds was impressed with our knowledge and spent an hour and a half with us trying all kinds of set ups that asked him to show us, no direction was pushed by him at all and he left it entirely to us and just advised on practical possibilities, like using our Q Acoustics and what turntables we could do that with.

We were afraid to buy second hand for exactly the reason that we don’t yet have the knowledge to problem solve. Coming to this dilemma with no knowledge is a different ball game to being armed with information, and I really am grateful for all the advice as we went into Richer Sounds with at least some knowledge, which we may not have known the specifics of, but we did impress the bloke with our knowledge! So I would call that a very successful forum experience!!

VICTORIA PLUM
31-12-2017, 11:14
Thanks Paul, your advice was spot on, and very gratefully received.

Minstrel SE
31-12-2017, 12:08
Yes you are all right really. I just decided to launch into a devils advocate mode and get my gut feeling out about the new breed of turntables in that price area. I say new breed because an older man on a nostalgia and upgrade trip can get funny about these things

I did say it might be my hang up with a funny mix of feelings. To be fair these turntables like the Denon and Sony are better than many starter offerings of yesteryear.

So I am being naughty as we all had to start somewhere. Im not really looking down on the Denon because its looks fine and may be all someone needs. Denon are a good brand name and they just dont plan and manufacture rubbish

So yes we havent failed anyone and its a personal choice. If we can steer people away from the crosley cruisers and cheap supermarket usb turntables its a job well done.

Best wishes
Martin

topoxforddoc
31-12-2017, 12:42
Vicki,

I'm really pleased that the whole family is delighted with your new purchase. It will lead to many happy hours of family musical enjoyment. Feel free to join in and ask for advice in the future. In the meantime, just play some records and have fun.

Charlie

VICTORIA PLUM
01-01-2018, 23:49
Vicki,

I'm really pleased that the whole family is delighted with your new purchase. It will lead to many happy hours of family musical enjoyment. Feel free to join in and ask for advice in the future. In the meantime, just play some records and have fun.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie. Had a vinyl New Year’s Eve ‘do’ at our and my older brothers brought their vinyl round, so many memories of the music blaring out of their bedrooms (I am the youngest) and so much fun. Amusing thing was my mums reaction was pretty much the same as it was back then.. ‘can you turn it down?’ ������

Very annoyed to find that the first vinyl I wanted to find online seems to be bloomin’ expensive! Typical! Was looking for Chris Isaak albums to include San Francisco days. Bah!